1940's Hall of Fame II

Tools    

I see we have another John Garfield movie, The Sea Wolf...so that will be interesting to see what type of character he plays.

I just about nominated another movie he was in, Humoresque with Joan Crawford, have you seen that yet?

Body and Soul (1947) - Robert Rossen

The moment I read the shortened synopsis, I knew I was going to like this film. Boxing films are the genre I really enjoy and I guess I could say I'm fairly knowledgable about the sport, even the era of 30's and 40's. This wasn't a classic boxing film per se though, as it tackled subjects like greed, corruption and insatiable ambition. Body and Soul featured some very nice cast performances, especially by the lead John Garfield. He was very good as a determined and angry young man, who's major goal in life is to escape the claws of poverty, even if it means hurting the people he loves. I really liked how his character was constructed, as he was generally presented as a good willed and likeable, but still with some glaring flaws. Lili Palmer accompanied Garfield nicely, and sort of served as an intelectual complement to his rugged exterior. Despite how despicable and trashy her character was, I also really enjoyed the performance by Hazel Brooks as well. The story was well versed and nicely done. I found myself really engaged throughough the film's course. Now that I think about it, there was only one scene that didn't really make sense and which kind of bothered me ...

WARNING: "spoiler" spoilers below
It was a scene of Ben's death. After he fell down, he was obviously in the state of delirium. Why did they let him run loose and tire himself to death, when they could of lay him down and have him rest for a while? That really didn't make sense to me ...

I was very pleased with the fighting scenes. They presented the style of fighting that was used in that era, with a lot of rubber matches and more agressiveness. The cinematography was suprisingly good, particularlly the close-up shots of Garfield's bloodied face filled with motivating anger, during the final scenes. It actually reminded me of certain shots from Raging Bull. I kind of excpected that the film would end on a gloomier note, but I still thought it was a solid ending. To conclude this is a very entertaining and enjoyable sports drama. I was not completely blown away by it, but I still liked it a great deal.

Glad you liked it Ben, and regarding your question in spoilers, I thought some of the people present wanted it to happen.

It also reminded me of Raging Bull.

I think I'll watch "Day of Wrath" or "Beauty and the Beast" next. Not sure when that'll be though.

Regarding Beauty and the Beast; I thought I saw that version but now I don't think so. Thoughts on Double Indemnity coming up after pizza and dog walking.

Body and Soul (1947) - Robert Rossen

...John Garfield...was very good as a determined and angry young man, who's major goal in life is to escape the claws of poverty, even if it means hurting the people he loves.
I like what you wrote there, especially the part I bolded. I agree with all that too, though I didn't see him as being particular angry.

Despite how despicable and trashy her character was, I also really enjoyed the performance by Hazel Brooks as well.
Yup, she was really colorful and her character demonstrates that the fruits of craving wealth above ethics, leads to unhappiness.

I really don't care for boxing, so hopefully that doesn't impact my enjoyment of Body and Soul too much. I didn't mind watching some of that Hajime no Ippo show for the TV Tournament (I think it was one of Camo's nominations, but don't quote me on that), so it probably has a fair shot.

I won't get to watch it tonight because I'm leaving shortly to go see a different movie at the theatre, but I should have plenty of time tomorrow.

Alright, back to work for me...but one thing more about Body and Soul before I go...

When you guys watch it, pay attention to the smoking scenes by Lilli Palmer, or I should say the scenes where she looks like she's just about to smoke, but doesn't.

I thought those scenes were clever and said a lot about her character's emotions at the time. I've never seen that done in another old movie either.

Double Indemnity

Ok so this was my third time watching this. I had seen it first about 20 years ago and remembered it fondly, even though I could hardly remember it at all. I watched it again about 8 months ago and felt like I did about Laura (the 40's Hall of Fame part I winner that should be disqualified), that it was an extremely well put together film, but one that didn't excite me. I don't know what I was smoking, but this time I loved it. Last time, I thought the last third was a bit of a let down, but that's not the case at all. I also wasn't thrilled with Fred MacMurray. Basically, I thought he lacked the star power that I would normally look for in such a role. I still think that's something he lacks, but he's actually perfect for the role. His character is a sap, and a more charismatic star may not have played it so naturally. Anyone notice how, on his second visit to the Dietrichson house, when Phyllis answers the door, he's leaning to the side like a woman trying to be sexy? That told me the character lacked confidence. It's not believable that Phyllis could fall for Walter, but it's certainly believable that she could make him fall for her. It's the brilliant early scenes with the two of them that set the tone for the rest of the movie. Somehow there is chemistry between them, and while maybe not natural, the dialogue is almost too good to be true. MacMurray and Stanwyck are both terrific, and so is Edward G. Robinson. I love watching this actor, and it seems like I've seen him in a bunch of 40's films after not being familiar with his work before. In reality, I'm not sure why I'm not rating the film any higher. I feel like it is practically flawless, and this time I was thoroughly engaged and entertained. I was ready to come in here and be negative about it, and for whatever reason it just clicked with me this time. I think The Apartment will always be my favorite Billy Wilder film, but this one is at least up there with Some Like it Hot and Witness for the Prosecution. I've seen 12 of his movies in total, and the only one I didn't like was The Seven Year Itch. I'm lukewarm on The Lost Weekend and Sunset Blvd. as well, but I'm a fan of the rest. I wasn't thrilled to see this nominated at first, but I am now.

I think The Apartment is still my fave Wilder but Double Indemnity is a close second. Love Robinson in it. Probably top 5 supporting performance for me.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I've seen Double Indemnity quite a few times in my life and like everyone here, it has run hot and, at times, cold for me. Not sure why, perhaps it's simply my state of mind at any giving viewing. I DO have a lot of respect for the movie and enjoy the dialogue and the actors in it and what they achieve. So I'll be very curious to see where I go with when I do my re-watch for it.

Great write ups everyone, and I agree, @cricket about MacMurray fitting the role as a sap and I do remember that scene when he's at the door and leaning against the door jamb trying to be alluring and how it always makes me chuckle. It really does illustrate his awkwardness and lack of confidence, rather well.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Body and Soul

Anna Davis: I did it to buy myself fancy clothes? Fool! It's for you! To learn, to get an education, to make something of yourself!
Charlie Davis: [yelling to Shorty] Shorty! Shorty, get me that fight from Quinn. I want money. Do you understand? Money, money!
Anna Davis: I forbid, I forbid. Better buy a gun and shoot yourself.
Charlie Davis: You need MONEY to buy a gun!

***THERE BE SPOILERS AHEAD***

The very first thing I would like to mention, (to my enjoyment) was the link that @cricket provided for this movie. There's an underlying scratchy noise that is reminiscent of old time movie projectors that really added something special to the viewing of this movie that bordered on nostalgic.

For the life of me, I cannot remember if I have, or haven't seen this. There are a number of familiar things and so many that are new to me. Regardless, this was, and is, a very solid movie and a great portrayal of, what is now, a very common scenario. The Rise to Riches and the inevitable downfall.

John Garfield does an excellent job, while at the same time he doesn't actually, for me, garner empathy. Which I think is a very positive thing. I've seen so many films where you are drawn to the character that fights his way to the top, only to be devoured by the vultures that lie in wait, for new fodder.
There is a realistic grittiness (I hate to use that word, but it's too d@mn apropos) to Garfield's character. He's no philosophy, no idealist in search of a better life. While, at the same time, he's not a brawling ape either. He's a fighter. From a poor neighbor, wanting the good life and willing to take it at any price. Though, in the end, that price never sits well with him. And with that, there is a kind of redemption in his darkest hours.

Through this, there is a strong cast of characters that plays out almost like a Shakespearean play. Covering the archetypal roles.
The Savvy Best Friend who believes in him and does his all to get him in the door. Suffering a violent death for his troubles.
The Good, Honest Parents who only want something better for him. Both of which were done with genuine sincerity. The mother's wisdom and comments were some of the best lines for me.
The Good Woman who is left behind for the allure of money and fame. I really loved this character. She had an artistic intellect that was a wonderful contrast that complemented both of them.
The Greedy Woman that Seduces. While she played a basic character, there was a lot of depth and mixtures of tragedy and bravado that was done with surpassing talent.
The Corrupt Manager and the Sovereign Gangster. Much like the Greedy Woman, not only did they play their parts very well, they also brought a lot more to those parts than the usual expectations of such characters.
Finally, the Possible Future and Past played by the old champ; Ben Chaplin, and the up and coming; Marlowe. With them we see the recycling of the fodder that the greedy and the parasitic callously feed upon. It is through them, especially Ben Chaplin, lies the crossroad that Garfield's character; Charlie, must face and, in the end, decide his own fate.

For the sojourn itself, it is a rough, unforgiving journey which is filmed with great finesse.
It opens near the end and then we flash back.
One of my favorite scenes was actually during the montage that showed close ups as he went from fight to fight and the bruises and blood grew more and more apparent. Letting us know the grinder he was being put through.

Surprisingly, this is becoming a bit of an epic review and I scarcely got into the camera work and only skimmed the surface of the story telling. So, as not to ramble on and on, I'll shut da f@ck up and close by saying:

While, nowadays, this is an exceedingly common story that has been done to near death; Body and Soul does it . . . well, like the title says: with body AND soul.

3 good reactions out of 3 viewings for Body and Soul. I'll take it, although it may have been from the 3 members most likely to enjoy it. I don't think anyone will dislike it though.

It's not believable that Phyllis could fall for Walter, but it's certainly believable that she could make him fall for her.
While physical attraction likely played a part, to me it seemed like it had more to do with both of them liking the idea and the temptation more so than they actually liked each other.

While physical attraction likely played a part, to me it seemed like it had more to do with both of them liking the idea and the temptation more so than they actually liked each other.
I felt like it was her plan all along but I didn't think of that on his end. He was obviously into her immediately, but yea, he also seemed into the plan.

I just finished watching Body and Soul. Write-up forthcoming, after I get something to eat.

To me it looked like a different camera was used, as it looked more grainy than the reaction shots of the crowd watching the match. I'd wouldn't be surprised to learn that they used a super 8mm or something along those lines. I can't put my finger on it, I just know the format looks different and so does the frame rate, it seemed reduced.
I noticed this as well. I didn't pick up on it during the montage, but for the big fight at the end there was a very clear difference. I liked the effect it created.

Now that I think about it, there was only one scene that didn't really make sense and which kind of bothered me ...
WARNING: "spoiler" spoilers below
It was a scene of Ben's death. After he fell down, he was obviously in the state of delirium. Why did they let him run loose and tire himself to death, when they could of lay him down and have him rest for a while? That really didn't make sense to me ...
WARNING: "Body and Soul" spoilers below
I was under the impression that they didn't realize Ben tiring himself out would actually kill him. I thought they just wanted him to wear out so they could easily get him to a doctor.