The 4th Short Film Hall of Fame

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
AWESOME I will be thinking of the color tints when watching it, thank you!!

Giant God Warrior Appears in Tokyo I think it was the narration that really shone through on this one. It had a kind of Zen, transient expressionism to it that made for quite the counter balance to what was happening.

Animal Beatbox @Dani8, you silly, silly creature, you
"Love your Kingdom"
Amen

La Maison en petis cubes
WARNING: "Firstly," spoilers below
This initially put me in mind of the beginning to UP but with a more symbolic, poetic structure to it. Going deeper into the depths of his life as he went from level to level, through the stages of his adult life.
There was a very wonderful sadness to this short.

very nice, @neiba

You can't win an argument just by being right!
[

Animal Beatbox @Dani8, you silly, silly creature, you
"Love your Kingdom"
Amen]
Hey, it was the shortest short I could think of, Edar.

It's a Mun Key.

Key was the cue word that year. I found it bloody hilarious, and so did everyone at the festival. I now have to watch it again. Llama Llama Llama Llama.

The Ventriloquist (2012)
Dir. Benjamin Leavitt

Spacey plays an introverted ventriloquist at odds with himself and his ability to communicate on his own in this charming short film that is proving very difficult for me to say anything of consequence about. At first I thought the ending was a little strange and I wasn't sure what to make of it, but upon reflection I think it's very fitting.

Envelope (2012)
Dir. Aleksey Nuzhny

I found this very interesting. Spacey does a great job bringing Evgeniy's character to life. I believe it was Ed who singled out how great his childlike enthusiasm about the letters is portrayed, which I definitely agree with. This is another short that has an unexpected turn of events towards the end, so for anyone who hasn't seen this yet, you might want to go in blind. I don't know anything about Yevgeny Petrov, so whether or not the events in the film have anything to do with his life, I couldn't say, but luckily this stands on its own without any outside knowledge.

That's 13 down for me. I think the rest of the shorts I have left are all about 20 minutes or longer each, so I might have enough to say about each one to give them their own posts. We'll see what happens, and how verbose I'm feeling while writing about them haha.

I'm going to watch a film or two for the 13th Hall of Fame before I watch any more of these though, so that's probably it from me for a week or so.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
The colors have different meanings. The more common color tinting denotes a place or time or emotion being represented.

Amber Tint is used for inside of buildings during daytime.

Orange Tint
is used for inside of buildings, at night time.

Yellow Tint is sunshine and used for outside daytime scenes.

Blue Tint is used for nightime, outdoor scenes.

Red Tint used for heat or fire, also sometimes used for intense danger or red hot passion.

Purple/Lavender Tint is used for romantic scenes.

Green Tint is used for forest or nature scenes.
In the silent films that use tinting, I have often wondered if people notice the fact that the scenes are tinted. And if they do, how many actually think something like "It must be nighttime now because it is blue". I bet there are people that don't even give it a second thought. I always liked the look of scenes that are tinted.

That's 13 down for me. I think the rest of the shorts I have left are all about 20 minutes or longer each, so I might have enough to say about each one to give them their own posts. We'll see what happens, and how verbose I'm feeling while writing about them haha.

I'm going to watch a film or two for the 13th Hall of Fame before I watch any more of these though, so that's probably it from me for a week or so.
I've only got long shorts left as well so taking a break for a bit. Goldfish brain needs to do some pushups before watching long shorts on lptop.

The Ventriloquist (2012)
Dir. Benjamin Leavitt

Spacey plays an introverted ventriloquist at odds with himself and his ability to communicate on his own in this charming short film that is proving very difficult for me to say anything of consequence about. At first I thought the ending was a little strange and I wasn't sure what to make of it, but upon reflection I think it's very fitting.

Envelope (2012)
Dir. Aleksey Nuzhny

I found this very interesting. Spacey does a great job bringing Evgeniy's character to life. I believe it was Ed who singled out how great his childlike enthusiasm about the letters is portrayed, which I definitely agree with. This is another short that has an unexpected turn of events towards the end, so for anyone who hasn't seen this yet, you might want to go in blind. I don't know anything about Yevgeny Petrov, so whether or not the events in the film have anything to do with his life, I couldn't say, but luckily this stands on its own without any outside knowledge.
yep, that was me. Though someone else MAY have mentioned it as well, unsure of that.
I agree with the ending of Ventriloquist. AT first I was a little hesitant, but it is and was, as you say, fitting.

I've got about 10 left. Going in a straight line from the bottom, up, which will put Camo's Spider next for me. YAY

I've got about 10 left. Going in a straight line from the bottom, up, which will put Camo's Spider next for me. YAY
Enjoy. I sure did.

The Rink (Charlie Chaplin, 1916)

Glad to see another Chaplin film, I haven't see many and the man is a genius, not only at comedy but at staging his prat falls and stunts. Good old Charlie has an innate sense of human nature, and that's when he's at his funniest...when he uses his understand of people and their habitats. Like when as a waiter, he determines the bill by finding food remnants on the customers clothing!

Loved the scenes in the old time skating ring, or rink as they called it. I didn't know skating went back that far. And boy can Charlie skate! I use go roller skating when I was young, but I couldn't do all those tricks that Charlie did. Thanks for the fun nom @edarsenal

I guess I will do what others have done, and I will post some of the reviews together. I will probably have a few Spoilers in here.

Bomb
It was kind of easy to figure out where this was going to go when
WARNING: spoilers below
the car stopped in front of the house and there were those Secret Service-looking guys there. But I didn't see why he took practically all of his clothes off. Why was that SO necessary for him?

In a 3 minute film, did I actually miss something? It was good, though.

Animal Beatbox
If there are similar videos out there to this one, I have not seen any. So this was an original idea for me. I thought it was clever, but I think I would've liked it a bit more if it had just been a beat. When the semi-rap sound came up (like with the monkey), that almost took it down a little bit. I really liked just the "beat" aspect because I really liked how they worked so well together.

Dust
I love Alan Rickman. So sad to think that he is gone. Anyway,
what happened? Is he supposed to be the tooth fairy, or something?
If so, what a way to take the tooth!
This seemed vaguely familiar to me towards the end scene. I don't know when I would've seen it, though. Also, why do people always have wide open windows with no curtains or shades? And how come everyone has unlocked glass doors? Oh, that's right! This is a film that we are talking about! And people have these in films to drive me crazy while I am watching it - considering that something sinister is always going to happen because of it.

Feast
I thought this was a cute film. I thought the dog was very cute, but how could something so small eat that much?! I do like how it all played out, and I like how the dog was very instrumental in the outcome of the story.

Paperman
This was another one that I thought was cute, but for different reasons. There wasn't too much of a story to it, but there was an objective for the guy involved. And I like the way that it, also, played out. A nice, little film.

Spider
You want to know something? This film made me very mad.
I HATE guys that act like that!!! Apparently he has done this sort of nonsense before (after all, she was mad at him for something else). For me, to pull some sort of prank, or whatever childish thing like that, it is strike 3 the first time it is done. If it should happen again, the guy would be gone. Shame she probably hung around with a guy that did that nonsense all the time! To do what he did was just not funny at all. I really hate that kind of stuff. I expected the first part of the consequences of his actions to happen, I was completely thrown off by the second consequence (I honestly yelled at my computer when I saw it happen!), and I LOVED the third consequence. Fantastic way to end this one! I know there isn't much in my spoiler, but I am afraid that if I should write this as a non-spoiler, then others will be able to maybe figure out what will happen next based on my reaction to the consequences.

Giant God Warrior Appears in Tokyo
I had a little trouble watching this one at times. The video was pretty jerky at times, and more than once the buffering made me want to turn it off because it took too long to start to play again. But I did wait it out and I did see the whole film. I don't know what to really say about this one because I thought it was actually very sad. And the voice of the girl narrating seemed to help the sombre tone. I liked it a lot. I was impressed with the visuals for a short film like this. It made me think that I was watching a feature length film. I thought it was pretty good.

Peace On Earth
Even though this one was created at a time when war was going to be inevitable, I think it is very relevant to this very day. Basically, I always thought that it showed that between the two, the humans are more like the animals. And it was/is a way to tell people to stop living like that. I love the art of this cartoon. When I was a kid, it was so realistic to me. It didn't look like any of the others that I watched. It was always some sort of big deal when it was shown. Every kid I knew had seen it and we all really liked it. But as I stated before, the only really disturbing thing to me was
the man getting shot and seeing him sink until you see his hand finally go into the water with the red bubbles that come up from him

It is rumored to have been nominated for a Noble Peace Prize. I don't know if that is true, but I know it was nominated for an Oscar. This will always be one of my favorites.

By the way, I watched all of the films that were UNDER 10 minutes today. I started Flankers, but I stopped it because I was interrupted for something. When I was going to finish it, I saw that it was actually about 14 minutes long. If that is the case, then I will save it and start it over on another day.

Loved the scenes in the old time skating ring
You call it a "skating" rink? We always called it the "roller" rink. I went there quite often when I was a kid. And of all songs in the world, this song was always what I considered the ultimate roller rink song. I swear they played it EVERY time I went!

I didn't know skating went back that far.
Laura Ingalls Wilder skipped school to go to the roller rink out there on the prairie. That was the 1880's.

You call it a "skating" rink? We always called it the "roller" rink.
Same here. "Skating" on its own always means ice skating specifically, so a skating rink is where one goes to (ice) skate or to play hockey.

I actually had to reread Citizen's post a few times because I was wondering why Chaplin was rollerskating on ice.

Same here. "Skating" on its own always means ice skating specifically, so a skating rink is where one goes to (ice) skate or to play hockey.

I actually had to reread Citizen's post a few times because I was wondering why Chaplin was rollerskating on ice.
Ha That must be the difference between regions, I'm thinking. On the west coast of the U.S., where I live, ice skating isn't that common. There's no outdoor ice skating at all. So everyone I knew back in the day called the roller skating place, the skating ring (cause you went around in an oval). The only time I heard it called roller rink was on late night tv with roller derby girls. That's back when tv was fun

Ha, it's all good...I haven't been skating (roller skating that is) in a million years. I use to go all the time though, that's why I hate Rick Dee's song Disco Duck

Don't want to concern anybody but alot of people in Scotland call it an "Ice Rink".
I've heard it called that here as well actually.

There's no outdoor ice skating at all. So everyone I knew back in the day called the roller skating place, the skating ring (cause you went around in an oval).
Makes sense. Though it's still wrong.

When you skate outdoors here, it's never on a rink (they're inherently indoors). Outdoor skating is what ponds are for haha.

Silent vamp I will reply to some of your thoughts when I get home shortly

roller rink for me too and speaking of @Silent Vamp's most consistent song played at the rink, for me it was Grand Funk's version of Locomotion. Still, to this day, I get a flashback to being a kid, racing around to that song playing lol
Also, about the windows with no curtains and unlocked glass doors bothering you in movies; I'm the very same way with people leaving their headlights on, every single d@mn time! They turn off the engine, they shut doors, keys in hand. . . lights on! WTF! Drives me nuts.

And @CosmicRunaway is RIGHT, you're supposed to ice skate on frozen ponds, not indoors. Hell, even the ice rink they built in downtown Detroit is outside.

And, the reason for this conversation, VERY happy you enjoyed The Rink, @Citizen Rules, it's one of my favorites of Chaplin's shorts. I can't, for the life of me, remember the last time I saw Dog's Life, so pretty excited about checking out @Camo's Chaplin nom and I have his Spider up next to watch - VERY cool!