Citizen Rules...Cinemaesque Chat-n-Review

→ in
Tools    

So here is the back and forth between my professor and I after I sent him your response and a quick explanation:

Gooch: "Somebody on a movie forum was talking about 2001: A Space Odyssey, and I posted what you'd said about HAL being way too big. I mentioned the problem with the heat he would generate. This was the reply:"

Citizen Rules: "That's interesting. I wonder why your computer teacher thinks the the size of the main frame of large computer like HAL would generate too much heat? Seems to me it would provide better air movement for cooling. Maybe HAL's processors were located on the outside of the ship for maximum cooling by the ultra cold of space. I guess Kubrick knew for sure."

Gooch: "I was curious about your thoughts on this. I know that they didn't have enough air moving to cool down HAL inside the ship, and aside from exposing their computer to the random elements of space, absolute zero temperatures would be too much for a CPU to function in.
Again, not urgent."

Goochs Professor: "Interesting, but I didn’t say a HAL sized computer would generate too much heat.
What I said was the size of the computer (distance the bits would have to travel through the system and the time it would take) would slow processing speed and thus severely limit processing speed. As a result, it would be impossible to develop a LARGE and intelligent computer.
I’ve attached a short clip out of a book I have that partially explains what I was actually saying. What I did not explain in class is the compromise between speed and inefficiency (heat generated). Small is faster but heat is a big problem. Large is slower, but heat is less of an issue.
I’ve attached a short clip out of a book I have that partially explains what I was actually saying."
(had to re-write this since it was just a link to a picture of some text. The header in the top right corner said "Quantum Physics".)
"The small size is important for speed, since the velocity of signals that travel down wires is less than the speed of light. In one typical computer cycle (1 nanosecond, or a billionth of a second), light can travel only 30 centimeters, or 1 foot. So to be able to exchange information with other parts of the computer, the whole thing must be small."
That's interesting Gooch! I see what your teacher is saying. If the HAL computer was spread over the size of a large room like it is in 2001, the limiting factor would be the time HAL takes to send information by wires/circuits. The bigger the distances the longer the wire/circuits....so that makes sense. Maybe that's why in 2001, HAL talks slowly, very slowly. If you watch the film you'll see every time HAL responds he speaks sloooow.

Genius (2016)
Director: Michael Grandage
Writers: A. Scott Berg(novel), John Logan(screenplay)
Cast: Colin Firth, Jude Law, Nicole Kidman
Genre: Biography, Historical, Drama

Genius is based on a novel about the legendary literary editor, Max Perkins. The film takes place in New York 1929, during a particularly interesting time in American literature. Max Perkins was a man of foresight who recognized and published some of the greatest minds in early 20th century American literature. The list of writers who he edited and published is like a who's who list of the greats: including F.Scott Fitzgerald, Ernest Hemingway and the other star of the film, the wildly poetic and exuberant Thomas Wolfe.

Problem is, the director gives us next to nothing about the man Max Perkins (Colin Firth) and why he was such an amazing editor. I know Colin Firth can turn in a good performance, so perhaps it's the directors fault that his character is one dimensional. I learned next to nothing about the man, nor did the movie inspire me in anyway. I know Max Perkins is considered one of the great book editors, but you'd never know why from watching this film.

The other problem is Jude Law's Thomas Wolfe is annoyingly over the top! Maybe the man really was this way. But the film makes him look like a loudmouth fool. And Nicole Kidman, yes she does an excellent job but her character isn't flushed out enough for us to really care.

I watch a lot of bio pics and historical period piece films, and they often fail to deliver...Genius, digs into the cliche basement one too many times. I wanted to shut this film off after only 10 minutes and it never got any better. The story is done with tension created by people yelling at each other and I know there was more to this story than tired tropes and pot boiler tricks.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I've seen 2001: A Space Odyssey a few times, and sometimes I think Rock Hudson may have been right. I don't quite "get" the whole story, but the visuals and the music are enough to draw me in, hold my attention, and make me want to watch it again. The beginning of the movie is kind of boring, but it picks up after the part with the apes. I doubt I'll ever fully understand the movie, but I like watching it to pick up new things about it each time I see it.
I can give you a brief 'what the film is about' if you want me to.
Thanks, but I've read a lot about it, and it doesn't seem to help. It's not the first movie that I didn't fully understand, and I'm sure that it won't be the last, but it's one of the few confusing movies that I like to rewatch to try to figure it out.

Genius (2016)
[font=Arial Narrow]Director: Michael Grandage
Writers: A. Scott Berg(novel), John Logan(screenplay)
Cast: Colin Firth, Jude Law, Nicole Kidman
Genre: Biography, Historical, Drama
Loved your review and as much as you seemed to not like the film, it has piqued my curiosity and will be adding it to my watchlist...Nicole Kidman is ALWAYS worth watching.

I've seen 2001: A Space Odyssey a few times, and sometimes I think Rock Hudson may have been right. I don't quite "get" the whole story, but the visuals and the music are enough to draw me in, hold my attention, and make me want to watch it again. The beginning of the movie is kind of boring, but it picks up after the part with the apes. I doubt I'll ever fully understand the movie, but I like watching it to pick up new things about it each time I see it.
I'll be honest, I saw this movie about a decade ago and was bored to death but am considering a re-watch after reading your review.

I'll be honest, I saw this movie about a decade ago and was bored to death but am considering a re-watch after reading your review.
I think 2001: A Space Odyssey would be a hard watch for non sci-fi fans. It has a very thin story line and is a visual film. There's hardly any dialogue and much of what happens in the film, happens off screen, so that we never really are filled in on the details. But I think all of that is a big plus for the film as it makes it an enigma.

Attack of the Crab Monsters (Roger Corman 1957)

Director/Producer: Roger Corman
Writer: Charles B. Griffith (screenplay)
Cast: Richard Garland, Pamela Duncan, Russell Johnson
Genre: Mutant Giant Creature Sci-Fi B Movie

"From the depths of the sea... a tidal wave of terror!"

About
: A group of scientists on a mission to a mysterious island attempt to find the whereabouts of a previous science team that vanished. While there they discover mutant giant crabs who are intelligent. To make matters worse they're trapped on a sinking island.

Review
: Hooray for Roger Corman!..The king of B movies The drive-in movie theaters of the 1950's wouldn't have been the same without him. Roger Corman might very well have produced more films than any one else. His specialty were low budget sci fi and horror films. He shot Attack of the Crab Monsters in only 10 days and for a paltry sum of $70,000. This might best be described as C or D movie, as production values aren't nothing to write home about. But what Corman lacks in quality he makes up with colorful story lines.

What's not to like about a pair of giant mutated crabs, that eat humans and can then talk telepathically in the eaten humans voice! I thought this was a fun way to spend an hour...and you get a babe, a bunch of scientist and the Professor, Russell Johnson from Gillian's Island.

+++
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	attack-of-the-crab-monsters-1.jpg
Views:	754
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	27589   Click image for larger version

Name:	attack of the crab monsters 3.jpg
Views:	737
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	27590   Click image for larger version

Name:	a.jpg
Views:	635
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	27591  

Ha - was gonna watch that one tomorrow
I shall switch to an Invasion film now and leave that one 'til next week so it doesn't look like I'm copying you

Ha - was gonna watch that one tomorrow
I shall switch to an Invasion film now and leave that one 'til next week so it doesn't look like I'm copying you
I'd be honored if you 'copied' me I was actually going to try and find the last sci fi flick you reviewed Beyond the Time Barrier.

I'd be honored if you 'copied' me I was actually going to try and find the last sci fi flick you reviewed Beyond the Time Barrier.
Fair enough - we can do 'swapsies' then
(BTTB is on YouTube if you can't find it anywhere else)

Not of This Earth (Roger Corman, 1957)
Director: Roger Corman
Cast: Paul Birch, Beverly Garland, Morgan Jones
Genre: Sci Fi, Thriller

About
: A mysterious man in dark sun glasses is secretly gathering blood from victims that he meets on the streets. He himself is an alien from a dying planet called Davana. His mission is to determine if human blood can save the lives of the Davana's, who have poisoned their own blood with nuclear radiation from a prolonged war. If the human's blood is compatible, they will be put out to pasture for blood harvesting.

Review
: In the 1950's director/producer Roger Corman produced film after film, all B budget movies. Mostly they made a big profit. Not of This Earth..deserves a better reputation than just another B movie. It has a lot of creepy vibe going for it and the premise is pretty nifty and it's suspenseful too.

Plus it has two of the great character actors of the late 50's. Beverly Garland who plays the live-in nurse who's hired to transfuse blood to the alien in dark glasses, John Birch. The other is a very unlucky traveling vacuum salesman, Dick Miller, who worked in a lot of Corman's films.

I did think the alien bat-face hunger creature was a little silly, but it did remind me of the scene from Alien. So I guess nothing is really ever new, as it was done here first.

Attachments

Name:	not-of-this-earth-johnson.jpg
Views:	715
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	27592   Click image for larger version

Name:	Not-of-This-Earth-1957-3.jpg
Views:	710
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	27593  

I want to watch a few 50s B Movies as well. I enjoyed The Blob and The Invasion of the Saucer Men.
You've convince me to watch Invasion of the Saucer Men...It's on youtube btw and looks good. It's only an 66 minutes long so I should be able to squeeze that one in pretty soon.

My Old Lady (2014)

Director: Israel Horovitz
Stars: Kevin Kline, Kristin Scott Thomas, Maggie Smith
Genre: Drama, Comedy
Length: 107 minutes

About: A self centered, unethical and unscrupulous American, Mathias ( Kevin Kline) inherits an apartment in Paris that comes with an unexpected resident an old lady who has a contract to live there (Maggie Smith).

Review: I thought this looked like my type of film. The first act was drama with light comedy supplied by a bitter, yet funny Kevin Kline who finds himself out of money and is willing to do whatever it took to get some cash. This is the type of role Kevin Kline was born to and he's very good at it!

But then the second act starts and oh! it was bleak, like a Eugene O'Neil play. On and on and on...about how horrible their childhood was and how messed up they were. It felt like being in a group therapy session with everybody dumping their deepest and darkest secrets out in public....not that I would know what one was like, but the second act really felt that way.

But then in the third act, the movie lightens up again. It's not a bad movie, and I did enjoy most parts of it. Kevin Kline and Maggie Smith had great chemistry. Certainly a worthy film to watch on a cold winter night.

I'll have to add Not Of This Earth to my watchlist for the countdown

My Old Lady (2014)

Director: Israel Horovitz
Stars: Kevin Kline, Kristin Scott Thomas, Maggie Smith
Genre: Drama, Comedy
Length: 107 minutes

Kevin Kline and Maggie Smith? I'm in...adding it to my watchlist.

War of the Satellites (Roger Corman 1958)

Director: Roger Corman
Cast: Dick Miller, Susan Cabot, Richard Devon
Genre: B budget Sci Fi
Length: 66 minutes

About: The United Nations is attempting to build manned satellites in Earth orbit. Each of the nine previous attempts to cross the Sigma energy barrier has ended in destruction of the satellite ships. Before the tenth attempt can take place, a message from an alien civilization crashes into the ground, to be found by two teenagers parked on lovers lane.

Review: In an interview with Roger Corman, he said the day after it was announced that the Russians had placed Sputnik satellite into orbit, he was pitching the idea for his War of the Satellites. The studio who was financing his film asked Roger what his film was about? Roger replied, that he didn't know, he only had the title, but...he would make a good film. In just six weeks latter and this film was in the theaters. This is why Roger Corman is the The King of B Movies!

War of the Satellites is a fun, quirky little movie. I got a laugh out of how spacious the inside of the satellite ship was...and check out those reclining chairs in the photo. Here's a hint, there is no war between satellites. Of the three Corman early sci fi films I seen, I liked this one least, but it was still a decent watch at only 66 minutes. The burial at space was a first for the big screen.

Attachments

Name:	aaa.jpg
Views:	752
Size:	338.4 KB
ID:	27600  

S.O.B. (Blake Edwards, 1981)
Director: Blake Edwards
Writer: Blake Edwards
Cast: Julie Andrews, William Holden, Richard Mulligan & All Star
Genre: Comedy Parody

About:A down and out move producer who's previous movie was a huge flop, attempts to save his career by reworking his latest movie into an X rated erotic production. With the highlight being a family friendly star (Julie Andrews) take off her top.

Review: There's a rather cruel joke being played on the audience by the director Blake Edwards. Or maybe some would say, it's a witty joke. Either way, many a person has watched this enigma of a film without getting it. I got it...but still found the slapstick style of comedy tediously unfunny. Well Loretta Swit was funny and I'm not saying the other actors were bad, heck they were good and there's a lot of them too, but the script wasn't funny. Instead we get Blake Edwards' rant about Hollywood's shady side of the biz, which would be great if the script was clever and not boorish.

Oh, the big to do is that Julie Andrews bares her breast, hence making the movie a cult classic...and an enigma. It's more of a shock value than comedy value. I have to say Julie Andrews topless wasn't a thing of beauty, though the scene was kind of funny. The best thing for me about S.O.B. was all of the stars in it. It's a plethora of who's who in Hollywood.

I Confess (Alfred Hitchcock, 1953)

Director: Alfred Hitchcock
Cast: Montgomery Clift, Anne Baxter, Karl Malden
Genre: Film Noir, Crime Drama

About: A priest who once had a love affair and now is under suspicion of murder but can't clear his name without breaking the seal of the confessional, where he learned the identity of the real killer.

Review: This is the 26th Hitchcock film that I've seen...I enjoyed I Confess, but I wouldn't rate it as one of my favorite Hitch films. I wasn't that engaged in the story, it never felt tense and it never felt like the priest was in any real danger. It still could have worked if we got some deep insight into the inner workings of a priest's life or a detailed police investigation. But both were only lightly touched upon. I would have liked to seen the identity of the murderer kept a secret until the end. That way we could have had some twist and turns.

Montgomery Clift was amazing in: Judgment at Nuremberg, The Misfits and A Place in the Sun...but here he's miscast and seemed to be off in his own world and not 'in the movie'. He lacked emotions and I didn't buy that he was a priest being investigated for murder, while burdened with the knowledge that he knows who the murderer is, but can't tell the police as it would violate the Catholic confessional.

I thought the actor who played the murder was really good in his role and overall it is a film that held my attention.