The MoFo Top 100 Action Movie Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Thanks, Raul (and honeykid).

SUBMISSIONS ARE CLOSED!

186 of you were contacted, 57 of you answered the call.

489 movies were considered, 473 of them were nominated.

17367 points were distributed, 12065 of them are on this countdown.

You bastards can't agree on anything can you? nah I'm kidding What this was was a struggle for each of you to personally reconcile "good movies" with "action movies", and rationally this involved scrutiny of what it means to be "good" and what it means to be "action".

I think it's apparent that genres like "action" are a matter of gradation, movies can be more or less "drama" or "comedy" oriented and the same holds true of action. The question is how to rank generally excellent movies with relatively unremarkable action with movies that have excellent action sequences, but are otherwise kinda crappy, and with movies that don't have all that much action in them except for that one scene you can't forget.

Despite my misgivings about a couple nominations, and there are in fact several that appear on this countdown that I love, but personally disqualified, I have vetoed no movies for this countdown. And so it is that I present what can only be best described as an approximate democratized conception of what the standard of excellence is when it comes to ACTION MOVIES, as chosen by the contemporary Movie Forums community.

I am presently dealing with tiebreakers at the moment. Have decided to tweak the rules slightly.

Ties will be resolved by number of votes, then by maximum point allotment, then by release date (in favor of older movies).

Ooh. I'm encouraged to see Mad Max this low. I'm sure the other two will be much higher.

I don't think I've seen a Smokey film since I was about 12.

Hey, Omni, sorry I didn't send in a list, but cool start. Two movies I've seen and like to some degree. But shouldn't you start a new thread for the actual countdown?

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
None of those movies made my list. Mad Max so low is shocking.

Omni can you pm me my list back.

"Banshee is the greatest thing ever. "

Welcome to the human race...
Pretty obvious now that I wasn't paying too much attention to what counts otherwise I wouldn't be too surprised by Nausicaa (though it's definitely a good pick). Mad Max is understandable (especially its position - I honestly wasn't expecting it either), though I haven't seen it in a loooong time.

Haven't seen Smokey and the Bandit.

((Most pre-"Complete" edition trailers shows in-development footage and current trailers focus almost entirely on the new scenes added in the "Complete" version of the movie. This is the earliest known trailer produced for the movie and I chose it because I think it best represents the tone they were going for.))

44 Points / 2 Lists