Omni's Random Video Noise

→ in
Tools    

The Good, The Bad, The Weird
Western Action / Korean / 2008

WHY'D I WATCH IT?
For the Action Movie Countdown.

Because I am the sort of person who would see the Korean gag adaption before the original movie.

WHAT'D I THINK? *SPOILERS*
Horses, Cows, Sheep, Dogs, Chickens, Ducks, Geese, Camels, Elephants, even a butcher's shop, because why not.

The Good, The Bad, and irritatingly absent of the conjunction "and" The Weird occupies a perplexing area.

On one hand it's a western, unfailing to live up to the genre's failings; Non-humans are all over this movie and horses in particular are ****ed up and down.

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
In the United Kingdom, the British Board of Film Classification ordered five seconds of cuts to the cinema release due to scenes of horse falls judged to be animal cruelty that violated the Cinematograph Films (Animals) Act 1937.
Yeah, that's probably because they did stupid **** in it like get horses to fall over, bowl them over with explosions, and even hit one with a ****ing truck. I'm tempted to say that's exceptional cruelty, but let's be honest, this isn't even remotely unusual for the genre or even movies in general, The Wild Bunch and 13 Assassins were setting animals on fire.

It's sense of humor, if it's sense of normality wasn't already a **** in my cereal, also leaves something to be desired.

I really don't think I needed to see The Weird stab someone in the anus with a knife and then kick it deep enough to kill. TWICE.

Good god. Those two things, the abuse and the crude humor are more than enough to earn my wrath in any movie, but I'll be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the rest of the movie.

Sure it's got some slow sections and I was disappointed as soon as I realized the awesome opening train sequence wasn't here to stay, but the cinematography combined with the environmentally aware gunfights, the varied action that climaxed in chases reminiscent of Fury Road, and the thematic distinctions between the three main characters were very pleasing, SO pleasing in fact that I'm actually rather skeptical that The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly could actually do it justice.

I just find it very satisfying that
The Good survives as the winner, without any treasure,
The Weird survives via plot device, to find an alternate treasure,
and The Bad just dies,

each of them visibly distinct from one another and each uniquely armed. The Weird even occupies a relative moral grey area if you completely ignore the fact that the majority of the cast has enslaved horses which I could, but I won't, so I don't.

Truth is, if the movie managed the same task without the human superiority complex, I'dve probably forgiven the butt stuff.

Final Verdict:
[Meh...]

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	600px-GBW_M336_1.jpg
Views:	1158
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	27264   Click image for larger version

Name:	weird3yx6_2.jpeg
Views:	1274
Size:	234.3 KB
ID:	27265  

Drunken Master
Martial Arts Action / Chinese / 1978

WHY'D I WATCH IT?

I think I've only seen Drunken Master 2.

Chicken, Eel, Duck, Sparrow, Pork, Goose, Shrimp... "Gruper"?

The first Drunken Master is unusual because it actually shares a lot more in common with Snake in the Eagle's Shadow than Drunken Master 2, mainly because it's largely the same cast in largely the same roles, only this time instead of learning Snake Fist, it's 8 Drunken Gods. The reason for the similarity can probably be attributed to shared director Yuen Woo-ping who worked on Snake in the Eagle's Shadow the same year prior.

I said previously that I think think Yuen Woo-ping is someone to keep watching given that he directed Snake in the Eagle's Shadow, Wing Chun, and was even fight choreographer for Fist of Legend, all of which I've given a 4 out of 5, and the trend holds true here.

Drunken Master has a SLAMMIN' 12 fight sequences, all of which are unique and quality fights (except for maybe the bald guy fight, that was kinda stupid) which make regular use of slapstick, weapons, and props. I daresay the movie is probably more fight that not and it's hard to complain when I've spent so long watching Jackie Chan try to force large quantities of drama into hour and a half movies.

I really can't complain, especially given the return of Beggar So who flawlessly kicks ass with the nearest prop on hand at any given time...

...at least until that one scene where he goes for a couple minutes without his booze and he starts getting the shakes and I begin to wonder whether he has a crippling addiction.

The movie's not without it's flaws, that's for sure, it's sadly not as cheesy as one would hope, and by that I am not counting instances of obviously cartoony moles, drawn freckles, and fake overbites.

There is one cheeky bit of cheese and it's when Jackie's trying to dry his pants over the fire and the Big Bad walks up and picks a fight with him, kicks his ass and then offers to give him his pants back before tossing them in the fire. Queue string section. I don't know what it is about Chan's movie's that have him always running away in tears, but that was the most dramatic and heart-wrenching death of a pair of pants I've ever seen.

There's also this one moment where I see Jackie Chan strung up to the ceiling in a compromising position and I begin to get the BDSM thoughts.

Despite not being anywhere near as annoying as the drunkard he plays in Drunken Master 2, Chan's character isn't especially likable in this one given his casual attempts to lie his way out of a restaurant bill only to then call someone else a swindler in another scene. ****in' hypocrite. He's also pretty sexist too because when it turns out the 8th Drunken God style he needs to master is a Goddess he bitches out not wanting to learn "sissy" stuff. Go **** yourself, Wong.

And that's how he turns tables on the Big Bad too, with a falsetto and hipchecks. >_>

Anyway, despite a wealth of complaints and a small zoo of animals that somehow still manages not to irk me as much as Drunken Master 2 did... and I'll even concede flat out that there are better fights in both Drunken Master 2 AND Snake in the Eagle's Shadow...

Drunken Master is jam-packed with martial arts goodness, it's varied, it's impressive, and it's creative enough to distract from it's occasional moments of self-mutilation, like when Jackie Chan farts in a guy's face and then drops him in poop.

Coulda done without that.

REWATCH UPDATE:
It's been over 2 years since last I saw Drunken Master and it's interesting to how my opinion hasn't changed much.

Again, I find it difficult to complain about a movie comprised almost entirely of Jackie Chan's trademark prop martial arts comedy, it deserves high ranks for that reason if for no other, but that's still not to say that doesn't still annoy in other ways, particularly Jackie's character being a blatant thief in one scene, pointing fingers and calling shame down on another person for scamming people in the next, and then ostensibly stealing again in another scene soon after.

His chauvinism is also tiring, when the 8th drunken god comprising the Drunken Master martial arts style is a woman, you'd think he wouldn't be so dismissive, especially when out of the 3 characters he loses a fight to in the whole movie is a woman and she's the only one who remains undefeated by the end.

I was amused to see that the same fight stuck out to me this time as it did before even though I had completely forgotten about it:

(except for maybe the bald guy fight, that was kinda stupid)
The guy who's fighting style consists of constantly attempting to headbutt his opponent was ****ing dumb, and they really made it into a cartoon with his huge eyebrows and the bumps they plaster onto his head to make it look like he failed to catch Roadrunner.

Something interesting that stood out to me is how the movie tries to explain that Jackie's torturous physical training isn't pointless; how you need to "learn how to fall". It's a total throwaway line you would think, but there's actually a lot of sense behind it. So much of the movie consists of Jackie Chan on the ground, usually rolling away, around, or through enemies when he doesn't immediately flip himself back up into a standing position or use the ground as a place to counterattack from. If he were a D&D character he'd basically have dumped all of his skill points into Tumbling.

Considering Drunken Master style frequently involves stumbling around or appearing fall over only to turn the tables on their opponent, it only makes sense that this be incorporated as an important skill to master, not to mention this isn't unique to Drunken Master but martial arts in general, the term "ukemi" (albeit a Japanese, not a Chinese term) is often used in video games to refer to a timing mechanic allowing you to quickly returned to standing position after being knocked down. This is often coupled with similar alternative solutions including the "Emergency Roll", indeed even across fighting games, learning how to fall is critical to maintaining the flow of combat and avoiding getting your face stomped in.

If there's one thing I want to draw more attention to this time it's the English dub, because so much of it consists of Chan's voice actor making whinging moans anytime he gets hurt and he's such a whiny bitch in the movie, there's no shortage to his wailing. The falsetto he puts on during the final battle because he copped out and never learned the 8th Drunken Master stance in a lame attempt to imitate a woman is quite simply balls. It is objectively balls. And it spoils an otherwise solid end to a largely plotless movie.

By the way this movie has a plot.

Final Verdict:
[Pretty Good]

Attachments

Name:	drunken-master6.jpg
Views:	1464
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	27270   Click image for larger version

Name:	drunkenmaster116wb0.png
Views:	3058
Size:	399.0 KB
ID:	27271   Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_mj00hwq5bY1qbhnrvo1_500.png
Views:	3009
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	27272  

Iron Monkey
Martial Arts Action / Chinese / 1993

WHY'D I WATCH IT?

Watching this one purely on Yuen Woo-ping's directorial credit.

"Shaolin punks."

Monkey, Crocodile, Lizard, Scorpion, Viper, Centipede, Sparrow, Chicken, Duck, Sharkfin Soup, ehh...

I'd really like to say that Iron Monkey also keeps up the winning streak with another [Pretty Good] from me, but I'm gonna play bad guy here.

Donnie Yen brings a small splash of charisma this time and while he's generally an unlikable father, he gets the smallest pittance of character development as he's tasked by the corrupt local authorities to hunt down doctor-by-day, vigilante-by-night, Iron Monkey at the cost of his son.

The story's not especially interesting, even with a humorously cheeky disguise sequence in which Iron Monkey pretends to be a bigwig minister, and sadly, while the fight sequences are yet inventive, they take the goofy moves of Wing Chun and crank 'em up to full. It's not as absurd as House of Flying Daggers, Hero or Crouching Tiger, Hidden Buttplug, but then it also has an obvious sense of self awareness those movies completely lack.

Wirework is much more subtle (a it ought to be) and ridiculous defiance of gravity is fairly abstracted out by it's vaguely cartoonish exterior.

Even then, there's not much helping the abundance of crude wire moves and even less rubber staves.

"Poison Palm" is literally a poisonous flat-handed punch. What nonsense is this.

The emphasis on food and herbal remedies like crocodile (because crocodiles are herbs of course) is also grind on my patience.

Overall, this is easily an above-average martial arts movie in my book, but it's missing that X factor to stand out. And no, the showdown on the burning poles just doesn't cut it, not with all the quick-cut rampant fakery.

Oh, and the kid grows up to be Wong Fei-Hung? Does every friggen' martial arts movie gotta be about Wong Fei-Hung?

Final Verdict:
[Meh...]

Attachments

Name:	ironmonkey.jpg
Views:	981
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	27277  

Iron Man
Superhero Action / English / 2008

WHY'D I WATCH IT?

Incidentally unrelated to Iron Monkey, this is reassessment time and this will probably be my last watch before finalizing my list for The Action Movie Countdown.

"Tony Stark was able to build thiiis in a caaave with a box of scraaaps!"

Kissing, Goats, Cheeseburgers, Ice Cream, Pizza. A very American selection of food on display here... seems a little pandering if I can be a bit pedantic.

First, the flaws. Tony Stark is difficult to like, not just because of his character flaws which are reasonably intentional, but also because of his character flaws which are unreasonably unintentional. I really don't care to hear dialog wasted on the above unmentionables and these issues compound with his playboy persona which manifests at worst with "Ms. Berkley" a reporter who hounds his ass for moral atrocities and then ****s him at the drop of a hat before immediately resuming her interrogation.

Wow, you're like, the worst person imaginable. She doesn't even say anything particularly offensive, she's just a raging hypocrite.

"Look, I agree Hitler, is a ****in' shitstain of a human being, but DAT ASS THO."

So she's terrible, but she's in a very small minority of the movie which soon turns on her and even Stark becomes relatively likable by the end with no small help from Pepper Potts who produces an excellent callback with the decorative arc reactor.

Robert Downey Jr. has the charisma to wheel his way through scenes too, even the sad ones, and while the scenes between him and Pepper shift wildly from cute to cringe-inducingly awkward, it ends with a spirit of clear self-awareness as their status within the genre.

The superhero origin arc itself as it appears on offer here is about on par if not better than Batman Begins, DC's own iteration of the not-so-super superhero who's main power is seemingly infinite money and a toolbox.

A key difference here is that while Iron Man almost cynically advertises how aware it is of it's main character's quote "laundry list of character defects", it at least never verges on the Arkham City brand of superhero qualifications whereas a Batman is an equally competent ninja, detective, bodybuilder, inventor, genius, etc.

As I said before, I like my superheros with weaknesses and that doesn't have to end with personality flaws, I really liked the idea that Tony begins this saga as a high-life weapons manufacturer and learns the hard way how his products are used, provoking him into action after a life experience that sets up the arc reactor in his chest.

Guy's gotta live off a car battery to avoid a slow death before he resumes with a giant brightly lit off switch in his chest.

Which reminds me that Jeff Bridges is pretty solid in this as well, even if he is fairly formulaic. The "you ripped out my targeting system" line was the eyeroll of the century, but it's a negligible dent in a movie that keys the rock music and drums it's way through the creation of the Iron Man suit all the way up to it's first badass battle.

I said before, about Appleseed how much I liked seeing CG animators take to complex machinery and this movie does not disappoint, from Iron Man's little optimization montage to that little moment that just sticks with me where Obadiah jumps in the air with the new suit and his boot thrusters kick off small jets to keep him oriented, I love that.

Credit roll to Iron Man by Black Sabbath and you've got what is surely one of the best comic book superhero movies yet. This movie just barely misses a 5 out of 5 from me, but I keep watching it, so time will tell if it winds up in my personal collection.

Final Verdict:
[Pretty Good]

Attachments

Name:	iron_man_movie_image_mark_1_armor.jpg
Views:	1078
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	27279   Click image for larger version

Name:	ironchest.jpg
Views:	1091
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	27280  

Iron Man
Superhero Action / English / 2008

WHY'D I WATCH IT?

Incidentally unrelated to Iron Monkey, this is reassessment time and this will probably be my last watch before finalizing my list for The Action Movie Countdown.

[center][left][center][left][center][left][center][left]
"Tony Stark was able to build thiiis in a caaave with a box of scraaaps!"
Liked this movie a lot more than you did, but I will agree with you regarding the relationship between Tony and Pepper Potts.

The Magic Crystal
Sci-Fi Martial Arts Action / Chinese / 1986

WHY'D I WATCH IT?
Cynthia Rothrock of course.

"Planes never fall down."

It's a shame that Cynthia Rothrock never took off because now well past her prime her filmography pretty much comes down to Yes, Madam, Above The Law, and Undefeatable, ALL OF WHICH she only co-stars in. She's virtually always a sidekick in these movies and on the rare occasions she's starring, it's in some cruddy Z-grade femsploitation movie.

And if you're REAL lucky, you'll see her in a Frankenstein beast like this.

Scallops, Beef, Chicken, Eggs, Ham, Ice Cream, The plot to The Magic Crystal involves the extreme tonal clash of a serious 80s martial arts cop vs. gang movie with a just-for-kids Saturday morning Disney Channel movie dialed WAY THE **** BACK on it's budget. This reminded me of early Power Rangers that's how goofy it was.

Basically, an arbitrary mess of somewhat related characters, all of which, save the comedy relief, know kung fu (obviously), are hunting down a gang which is attacking them in attempt to retrieve a precious stone from them which one of their nephews discovers is a sentient talking alien robot magic jade rock.

It's silly enough when the high pitched voice from the rock sounds like the narrator who politely asks the children to sing along with the puppets so that they can remember that the colors blue and red make purple (only to resume a vicious coke addiction offscreen), but the level of casual whimsy on display here dives headlong into unintentional horror territory.

"That's a good deal Mr. Rock, here, let's shake fingers on it."

*break*

"WAIT A SECOND...YOU DON'T HAVE ANY FINGERS! Ha ha ha."

*rock grows finger*

"What happened to him Mr. Rock?"

"I gave him a terrible vision!"

"The man witnessed a woman peel her face off and plummeted
over two stories to the ground, I think he's had enough."

"Great! I'll re-arrange his body for 24 hours!"

Wow. Yeah. That happens.

Anyway, the movie's stupid. Just generally stupid. Not even gonna bother listing all the plotholes or needless pointing out that I once again have no clean grasp of the relationships of these characters.

That villain... jeez. Guy says "abusive language is unethical" one moment and in the next he says "Anyone refusing to cooperate with us will suffer more than an AIDS victim."

This while an elementary schooler is learning to stand up to bullies and making friends with a magic talking rock. The ****.

This'd easily make my bad list if not for the fact that the fight scenes, particular the first 2-4, are pretty damn good. It's a massive waste of talent if you ask me.

Final Verdict:
[Meh...]

Attachments

Name:	MagicCrystal3.png
Views:	996
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	27316   Click image for larger version

Name:	themagiccrystalfravi_003587988_8a3d5d36ab1d998f19e4e1e6b7e4a385.jpg
Views:	1382
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	27317  

Under Siege
Military Action / English / 1992

WHY'D I WATCH IT?
Never seen a Steven Seagal movie.

Cheeseburgers, Eggs, Chicken, Shrimp, Pies, Meat Carcasses, Meat Slop, really just guys cuttin' apart chunks of meat and throwin' 'em at people to messily eat, it's a fantastic little quirk of the movie. Also kissing.

Die Hard on a boat!
Die Hard on a boat!
It'saStevenSeagalmovie,butit's
Die Hard on a boat!

Actually, that's a bit over-complimentary. It's missing much of what made Die Hard great including the radio conversations, reincorporation, and whatnot, but the bare premise is the same. Guys take over a boat and neglect to concern themselves with the fact that they just inadvertently burnt Badass #1's pies, and burnt pie makes Badass #1 angry.

It features much of the resourcefulness we saw from John McClane which makes for quasi-McGuyver moments (even if some of them like using a microwave as a timed detonator don't make any fricken' sense) and most of the banter comes from between the three main villains including Colm Meaney who's underplayed as usual, Gary Busey, who blesses us with some exceptionally inappropriate drag, and Tommy Lee Jones who mugs the **** out his scenes, especially near the end when he goes off the deepend singing and babbling.

I think the formula is done a disservice in two major respects. First one being the female lead who set up to be a Model Girl who after some token "I'm for women's lib" dialog she utters the phrase:

Originally Posted by Model Girl
I have a little rule about killing people.
Well, ma'am, I'm afraid that's the stupidest rule in the history of the universe because you're trapped on a boat surrounded by people WHO WANT TO KILL YOU!

And she does, but fortunately not before Seagal gets in the most drearily cynical line he could could muster:

Originally Posted by Steven Seagal
I'm thrilled to death to hear that.
I've never seen a Steven Seagal movie before, but I'd have to possess a profoundly suicidal inability to learn if I couldn't predict that he'd snog her face by the end of the movie. And he does. **** you.

At least McClane had a relationship with the face he was snogging.

Secondly, there's this bizarre lack of punch to the whole movie. Violence just comes and goes with nary a whisper of concern and I'm not sure if it's partly Seagal's general Badass Ambivalence that fails to sell the impact of killing someone or what, I'm inclined to think it's editing. When Seagal manages to stab Tommy Lee Jones in the skull and stuff him in a monitor you'd think that'd be a pretty big moment, but it feels to casual like, "Welp, done that, time to finish the movie".

There's not much in the way of a musical sting or lingering camera or even decent one-liner to cap off the moment. The Big Bad just dies and the protagonist walks away. *shrugs*

Yay.

Final Verdict:
[Meh...]

Attachments

Name:	William_Strannix.png
Views:	1324
Size:	270.5 KB
ID:	27335   Click image for larger version

Name:	81461d584a06686b425beca72049e4010ae7f56e9f5f4d54e85e9d5b1a17abeb.jpg
Views:	1014
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	27336  

*notices Paranoia Agent was mislabelled as a movie*

The Nightmare Before Christmas
Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory
Ink
Mad Max: Fury Road
Paranoia Agent +6
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
12 Angry Men
Aliens
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children
Dark City
Hook -1

Gonna tank a few more Action movies, but I'm gettin' burnt out, gonna start back into my usgh (however you'd spell that) and dip into some Sci-Fi with special priority given to the following:

The Thirteenth Floor (part of an either/or choice way back)
Akira & Blade Runner (rewatch, been years, barely remember, [Meh...] towards both)
The Matrix (rewatch)
Metropolis (rewatch)
Repo!: The Genetic Opera (rewatch)
Ex Machina

The Dark Crystal
Puppet Fantasy Horror / English / 1982

WHY'D I WATCH IT?
Sister movie to Labyrinth, The Dark Crystal is the darker fully-puppeted movie to precede it.

I've seen it many times before, but the last was probably over 10 years ago so I barely remember it. I recall it being both a source of fascination and disturbance.

"This won't hurt. We just want to drain your LIVING ESSENCE!"

There's one scene in this movie where Kira and Jen ride Landstriders into a group of Garthim and they both get killed (the Landstriders I mean). Given the ambiguity of their relationship I'm going to give this movie the benefit of the doubt and a total 100% pass in the vegan department.

THE DARK CRYSTAL is an exceptionally strange movie. In a good way. I think.

Pitching the idea of movie consisting entirely of puppets and animatronics, completely detached from any pre-existing franchise like Sesame Street to give it some credibility must have been a feat then and probably remains a feat now. Telling people they should watch Dark Crystal probably ain't easy, especially if they can't get past the extraordinarily by-the-book opening narration and the eventually realization that our main protagonist is precisely the face that they pin next to the term "uncanny valley" in the dictionary.

Every single other significant character looks great in this movie, but the Gelflings, Jen and Kira are distracting as all hell because they look too human, yet don't look human enough. Their puppet animation and barely articulated mouths don't help at all. They also look like they're made of felt unlike the rest of the major characters. And they're the least interesting.

Basically the main characters suck. They're not terrible persay, but they're largely undeveloped, cliche to the point of boring, and generally unappealing to look at.

EVERYTHING ELSE is solid. It's bizarre that a movie that's so narratively derivative (much like Dark Crystal) still manages to be so unique in it's style and presentation. A good fraction of the movie is just Jen pointing at something and going "What's that?" and Kira saying "Oh, that's Fizzgig/A Landstrider/Podlings/A Buttplug" and it really is interesting to see so much detail put into world-building. I'd credited Star Wars and the like for having exceptional world building, but this blows the rest of it away in my opinion.

Something as simple as Kira breakin' out her Deus Machina WINGS and Jen asking "How come I don't have wings?" and Kira just shrugging it off with "'Cause your a boy" before cutting away... whoa HOLD ON, we just got a crucial glimpse of what distinguishes Gelflings biologically. That's friggen' neat. And it's all over this movie.

It really does seem pretty connect-the-dots as it goes, but when a scar on one of the Skeksis appears on one of the Mystics you find out this movie is a mark more clever than you think.

By the way, those Skeksis. Freaked me the hell out as a kid, but DAYUM, those guys are awesome. Aughra is awesome too, mainly due to a combination of her design, uncertain use of animatronics, and refreshingly boisterous charisma.

Charisma is a big thing going for much of the actors in this movie (beyond the two protagonists that is). Everyone gets in their gravelly grumbles, choking screams, and various ambient squeaks, though I must admit I was never a particular fan of Fizzgig who reminds me somewhat unpleasantly of Gurgi from The Black Cauldron which, now that I think about it, shares a fair amount in common this movie thematically.

I wanna watch that again now.

Anyway, the voice acting is supported by strong sound design which in turn is supported by a memorable soundtrack, which TOGETHER cements some strong moody vibes, particularly at the open and close of the movie.

I could complain about a number of things like the fact that once you get over the cool design of the Garthim, they're very transparently two legged and dragging loads of extras to obscure the fact.

I could also wonder how it is that Aughra suddenly knows who Kira is and that she can summon "animals" to her call. It would make sense for her character if she had ESP or something, but that's never established.

Also, the New Guys at the end, why do they take credit for breaking the crystal, which presumably fractures them into Skeksis, but it's a Skeksi in the shard that breaks it?

I think the biggest reason this movie freaked me out as a kid was just how macabre it is. The Skeksis are elegently designed, but also intentionally twisted looking, and seeing them weeze over a cute little doughy guy before stuffing him into a chair, clamping his neck in place and forcing him to gaze headlong into the void which DRAINS THE LIFE OUT OF HIM... I dunno, just the idea that they're literally juicing people to make slaves kinda got to me. That's horrific dead stare into your soul doesn't help much either.

I actually really like watching the Skeksis eat too. Yeah, they're eating poor critters, but they're not real and the Skeksis are evil so NOMNOMNOMMNOMNOMNOM

I gotta admit, I'm big on this movie. I've seen it many times now and I can't help but think that I'll want to see it many more, if only for it's genuinely creative twist on a classic tale.

Strongly recommended.

Final Verdict:
[Friggen' Awesome]

Attachments

Name:	14319921182.jpg
Views:	5794
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	27372   Click image for larger version

Name:	enc_skektek_inset_1_580x280px.jpg
Views:	2187
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	27373   Click image for larger version

Name:	ed9908e073a6a7f160b7eb34d8f1330f.jpg
Views:	1470
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	27374   Click image for larger version

Name:	darkcrystal03.jpg
Views:	1561
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	27375  

Repo!: The Genetic Opera
Sci-Fi Horror Musical / English / 2008

WHY'D I WATCH IT?
For the Sci-Fi Movie Countdown.

Repossessment time.

"Say that you once bought a heart or new corneas, but somehow never managed to square away your debts,
he won't bother to write or to phone you, he'll just rip the still-beating heart from your CHEST!"

Blood, Bugs, Kissing, Marriage.

In a world ravaged by disease, corporation GeneCo rises out of the ashes, offering life-saving transplants. Winning sway over the people through a combination of surgery-as-fashion propaganda and an addictive painkiller, their monopoly manages to install a legal policy of organ repossession.

This sets up a four-way story involving Shiloh, a motherless and sickly girl, daughter of Nathan, a secret Repoman, whose wife was secretly killed by Rotti, who subjugates both him and "Blind" Mag, all of whom were intimate friends with Shiloh's mother. Rotti also has 3 children that he's ashamed of an the occasionally Narrator, Graverobber, wanders between scenes into offer a bit of worldbuilding and a couple songs.

The story is rather difficult to summarize without explaining all the little details, but it's very digestably presented in brief but solid chunks of exposition, delivered in a comic book format at periodic intervals to cast light on each characters' background as they know it. As we reveal each character, their relationships to each other becomes clearer and the ensuing drama becomes reasonably potent.

Okay, enough of the sterile crap, THIS MOVIE IS AWESOME, or I would really really really like to say that if not for a couple niggles that get to me.

#1 is obviously the gore, there's at least 3 scenes of substantial gore and there's an excessive spot of blood and corpses throughout so if you're squeamish this movie isn't going to go far with you. Frankly, it's just the few instances of disewboweling characters that I really didn't need to see and even the movie's not-entirely-serious undertone which comes out with Rotti's cartoonishly evil kids and silly sound effects does little to cushion scenes of graphically cutting skin and pulling peoples' spines and organs out.

Easily the biggest strike for me.

Following that would have to be two songs which I simply don't like:

Mark It Up, which takes the silly evil to an unpleasant level (singing about stabbing new holes into someone to **** isn't especially tasteful) and really it just feels out of place with the rest of the movie.

Also Seventeen, which despite offering a surprise(ingly appropriate) cameo by Joan Jett, really just encapsulates the biggest issue with the songs, which I believe is Alexa Vega, from Spy Kids fame, who simply lacks the range and... maybe the charisma that made questionable/bad singing easy to overlook in Willy Wonka. She also doesn't have another better singer to hide behind since it's a solo, and when the song revolves entirely about her indignance at being denigrated as a 17-year-old and is just some plot-irrevelent rebellious teen song, I can't help but appreciate that it ends with her getting slapped in the face.

Both of these songs are entirely unnecessary to the story and they don't speak well of the rest of the tracks which are by and large phenomenal. It's a refreshing splash of symphonic metal that kicks in at the 60 second mark, careens through numerous memorable and catchy plot-driven songs all the way into a clever medley that resolves in a piano finish. It's some sick **** that I really can't do justice without a video, so allow me to give you a taste of the most popular of it's songs, Zydrate Anatomy:

That's some Nine Inch Nails type stuff you got there, and Terrance Zdunich as Graverobber has a surprisingly sexy voice for a career comic book artist.

His pleasing rumbles are echoed by Anthony Head and Paul Sorvino who play Nathan and Rotti respectively, both with some truly rockin' solos including Legal Assassin and Things You See In A Graveyard.

Those aren't even my only favorites either, 21st Century Cure is super fun to sing along to and Chase The Morning is a earwormy-break from the metal format.

I can't help, but think that metalheads and B-movie horror fans are missing out with this genre mashup.

I DON'T much like the horror elements, but I'm partial to the punk aesthetic and I really do think it's an interesting story told through some exceptional music and singers.

I was really disappointed to see people raise up The Devil's Carnival (made by the same guys) above it, when it's music is a far and away inferior to Repo, but either way I find myself in the unique position to say that as much as I enjoyed singing along to Repo!: The Genetic Opera, it only gets a 4 out of 5 from me.

THE SOUNDTRACK, HOWEVER... 5 out of 5. Non-deluxe version.

Final Verdict:
[Pretty Good]

Attachments

Name:	Graverobber-Epilogue-repo-the-genetic-opera-4197729-800-500.jpg
Views:	1499
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	27386   Click image for larger version

Name:	repo-the-genetic-opera3.jpg
Views:	2010
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	27387  

Other than the aesthetic, Zydrate Anatomy was the only part of that movie I really liked.
Aw, really? It's hard to pin you down, Cosmic. I can't figure out where you draw your lines.

Well I don't like musicals (other than Willy Wonka and Rocky Horror). I watched it because I liked Anthony Stewart Head and the setting/visuals seemed interesting, but other than that one song I didn't particularly enjoy it. I like the idea of it, just not the execution.

Well I don't like musicals (other than Willy Wonka and Rocky Horror). I watched it because I liked Anthony Stewart Head and the setting/visuals seemed interesting, but other than that one song I didn't particularly enjoy it. I like the idea of it, just not the execution.
Well damn, I'm not sure what I could say to that. I was thinking of that while watching it this time, "I wonder why it is people can't suspend their disbelief for musicals?". Movie musicals are pretty much dependent on the audience's acceptance of that kind of abstraction. It's one of those rules for observing the world, sorta like the transformation sequences in anime, you just accept that what we're seeing isn't beat-for-beat what's happening in reality otherwise the bad guys could interrupt the good guy's flashy intros.

But then I also liked most of the soundtrack most of which was along much of the same lines as Zydrate Anatomy so I dunno.

I get the impression that anyone who sees the kinda things I pick at should be able to get a pretty good idea of what I would like. I still have trouble nailing down your +s and -s.

I was thinking of that while watching it this time, "I wonder why it is people can't suspend their disbelief for musicals?". Movie musicals are pretty much dependent on the audience's acceptance of that kind of abstraction.
My biggest problem with most musicals is that I don't like the music, and that's a huge barrier to cross. But even if I don't mind the style of music, if a song serves little purpose other than to kill time, then it really irritates me. Repo! doesn't really have that problem, but I really hated the songs in Sweeney Todd because they'd just repeat a line of dialogue over and over, and it all felt completely pointless.

But then I also liked most of the soundtrack most of which was along much of the same lines as Zydrate Anatomy so I dunno.
There was one other song I didn't mind, but wouldn't say I really liked. I can't remember what it was though. I thought it was something from Blind Mag, but I can't seem to find it (or I like it even less now and thus don't recognize it). The problem was that I didn't like anyone's voice other than Graverobber. I do recall Blind Mag being occasionally decent (which is why I thought the other okay song might've been from her), but overall I wasn't a fan of the vocals.

I still have trouble nailing down your +s and -s.
There are films that I should probably love (based on my other interests) that I actually hate, and films that are nothing like my normal cup of tea that I really enjoy, so I don't even think I could nail down what styles or aspects of filmmaking or storytelling that I'm liable to like or dislike, so maybe don't worry about it too much haha.

My biggest problem with most musicals is that I don't like the music, and that's a huge barrier to cross. But even if I don't mind the style of music, if a song serves little purpose other than to kill time, then it really irritates me. Repo! doesn't really have that problem, but I really hated the songs in Sweeney Todd because they'd just repeat a line of dialogue over and over, and it all felt completely pointless.
Sweeney Todd didn't catch me for a variety of reasons.

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway
There was one other song I didn't mind, but wouldn't say I really liked. I can't remember what it was though. I thought it was something from Blind Mag, but I can't seem to find it (or I like it even less now and thus don't recognize it). The problem was that I didn't like anyone's voice other than Graverobber. I do recall Blind Mag being occasionally decent (which is why I thought the other okay song might've been from her), but overall I wasn't a fan of the vocals.
Well I thought Nathan and Rotti were great, they had a huge degree of range, I wish I could do that. I also have a lot of fun mimicking their growly bits. "It seems the man that cured the globe, cannot stop his own extinction!"

Mag's got two songs, she's got one where she's not even singing in English called Chromaggia I believe and this one I mentioned:

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway
There are films that I should probably love (based on my other interests) that I actually hate, and films that are nothing like my normal cup of tea that I really enjoy, so I don't even think I could nail down what styles or aspects of filmmaking or storytelling that I'm liable to like or dislike, so maybe don't worry about it too much haha.
Sounds like INCONSISTENCY to me!

Mag's got two songs, she's got one where she's not even singing in English called Chromaggia I believe and this one I mentioned:
I came across Chromaggia before, and that didn't sound right. That one you linked to isn't it either. Maybe I imagined this other song.

Sounds like INCONSISTENCY to me!
Yeah, inconsistent seems like a fairly accurate description of me.