Mojo Filter's Top 25 David Bowie Songs

Tools    

Check out and leave comments on my previous threads listing my Top 50 Male Solo Artists, Top 20 Female Solo Artists, Top 50 Bands, Top 30 Beatles Songs, Top 40 Michael Jackson Songs, Top 40 John Lennon Songs, Top 30 Phil Collins Songs, and Top 40 Billy Joel Songs.

The following are my Top 25 Songs by one of the greatest solo artists of all time...

DAVID BOWIE

R.I.P. (January 8, 1947 – January 10, 2016)

25. DIAMOND DOGS
(1974, Diamond Dogs)

One of David's rockiest tracks. Clearly inspired by The Rolling Stones. The title track off of his 1974 concept album.

24. THIS IS NOT AMERICA
(1985, The Falcon And The Snowman: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)

Written for the soundtrack of the 1985 Sean Penn and Timothy Hutton drama The Falcon And The Snowman, this song was the result of David's collaboration with jazz fusion band Pat Metheny Group. One of his best songs of the 80's.

23. WHERE ARE WE NOW?
(2013, The Next Day)

Released on his 66th birthday, this brilliant low key song became David's biggest international hit in years.

22. SOUND AND VISION
(1977, Low)

One of David's best rockers that features an uplifting guitar riff. Classic.

I hope you MoFo's can excuse the change. I switched this list into a Top 25 instead of a Top 20. As I was revisiting Bowie's music today, I realized that I overlooked 5 other songs that were some of my top favorites.

The list will continue shortly...

I haven't been following your music lists because I don't know many of the songs. So far, these are all unfamiliar to me, at least by title.

I haven't been following your music lists because I don't know many of the songs. So far, these are all unfamiliar to me, at least by title.

Listen to them. I truly believe this list will end up being the definitive David Bowie collection.

19. HEROES
(1977, Heroes)

The song that would later be covered by such bands as The Wallflowers and Oasis, Heroes has become of one of Bowie's signature songs.

I wasn't a superfan of David Bowie at all. In fact, in some ways, he annoyed me. But I did like some of his songs.

I'm a fan of his new song, "Lazarus", thanks largely to his video. And -- his death helped it, too, frankly.

18. DANCING IN THE STREET
(1985, Stand-alone Single)

Originally recorded by Martha and the Vandellas, David collaborated with Mick Jagger to record their version of the song, a fun dance track, with sales of the single going towards fighting famine as part of Live Aid.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
18. DANCING IN THE STREET
(1985, Stand-alone Single)

Originally recorded by Martha and the Vandellas, David collaborated with Mick Jagger to record their version of the song, a fun dance track, with sales of the single going towards fighting famine as part of Live Aid.

Isn't "Dancing in the Streets" the song that David Bowie and Mick Jagger sang together at the Live Aid concert, but they were at different locations at the time? (Bowie in London and Jagger in Philadelphia, if I remember correctly.)

Sound and Vision, Young Americans and Heroes would be in my top 25 too. Like the others too, maybe I'll do something similar. Looking forward to the rest.

17. BLUE JEAN
(1984, Tonight)

One of the few highlights on his 1984 release and the song that was considered a follow-up to his 70's classic The Jean Genie.

15. ZIGGY STARDUST
(1972, The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars)

David's creativity was at its peak during the early to mid-70's with the spacey psychedelic experimentations and the birth of personas like Ziggy who would become pop cultural icons.

14. REBEL REBEL
(1974, Diamond Dogs)

The song with one of the best guitar riffs ever recorded. This Rolling Stones inspired hit is definitely one of David's signature rock songs.