Mojo Filter's Top 40 John Lennon Songs

Tools    

Check out and leave comments on my previous threads listing my Top 50 Male Solo Artists, Top 20 Female Solo Artists, Top 50 Bands, Top 30 Beatles Songs, and Top 40 Michael Jackson Songs.

The following are my Top 40 Songs by, in my opinion, the greatest solo artist and rock musician of all time, and the founder of The Beatles...

JOHN LENNON

40. THE LUCK OF THE IRISH
(1972, Some Time in New York City)

The album is possibly John's worst, and the most out of all his solo releases that received negative feedback from critics and fans, but it does feature a few gems, the best of which is this song with his wife Yoko Ono. A revolutionary song for the Irish in their struggle against England.

I'm sure I don't know nearly as much of his solo work as you do, but yea, a total legend.
I know many MoFo's would not probably know most of the songs on this list. But at least I can introduce everybody to the greatest pieces of work by a legend

39. DO THE OZ
(1970, Plastic Ono Band)

This is considered a Lennon rarity, and was finally released as a bonus track on the 2000 reissue of his debut album Plastic Ono Band. A psychedelic hard rocking track with nonsensical but brilliant lyrics.

38. SCARED
(1974, Walls And Bridges)

A song written during John's famous "lost weekend" when he was away from Yoko for a period of almost 18 months. John was known for writing deep and personal songs all the time, and this one sees him expressing how lost and scared he was living without her. The rehearsal version of the song featured on 1986's posthumous Menlove Ave is just as remarkable as the original version.

37. OLD DIRT ROAD

Recorded in collaboration with American rocker Harry Nilsson, this soft rock gem is delightful to the ears.

36. COLD TURKEY
(1969, Stand-alone Single)

This was John's first official studio-recorded solo single after his departure from The Beatles. A song about his addiction to drugs. The song is famous for featuring Eric Clapton on guitar and Ringo Starr on drums, and for the final segment of the song where John screams and growls to simulate the painful withdrawal from drugs. The song would later feature as a track on the 1975 release Shaved Fish.

35. GIMME SOME TRUTH
(1971, Imagine)

John was the most vocal of The Beatles, and that didn't change much when he went solo. In fact, he became more vocal, releasing songs that were politically and socially charged. Gimme Some Truth is directed at corrupt politicians.

34. POWER TO THE PEOPLE
(1971, Stand-alone Single)

Another politically and socially charged song. The early 70's was a time of revolutions and anti-war protests. John became a voice for the movement with these powerful anthems. The song would later feature as a track on the 1975 release Shaved Fish.

33. OUT THE BLUE
(1973, Mind Games)

One of the beautiful gems on Mind Games, Out The Blue is a sweet ballad John wrote for Yoko while they were separated.

32. #9 DREAM

John really loved Yoko, and it's evident in the number of songs he wrote to, for, or about her. This is one of the best ones.

31. STAND BY ME
(1975, Rock 'N Roll)

In 1975, John was in a good place. He was back with Yoko, was expecting a child with her, and had a little fun with a covers album of his favorite songs. The highlight on the album being the cover of the classic Ben E. King ballad Stand By Me.

30. GIVE PEACE A CHANCE
(1969, Stand-alone Single)

Recorded in a hotel room during John and Yoko's honeymoon, which they invited the media into to promote peace. The event was dubbed a bed-in. This song was the result of the event. It has since become a slogan for peace movements everywhere.

29. HAPPY CHRISTMAS (WAR IS OVER)
(1971, Stand-alone Single)

John used the Christmas theme to promote peace and the end of war with this song. Since it's release, the song has become a holiday season staple.

28. MIND GAMES
(1973, Mind Games)

One of the greatest John anthems for love, unity, and peace. He even inserted the famous hippy line "Make love, not war" at the end of the song for verification.

26. BLESS YOU

Another sweet ballad John wrote for Yoko while they were separated, Bless You is by far one of John's best and overlooked gems.

24. I FOUND OUT//WELL WELL WELL
(1970, Plastic Ono Band)

These two songs are the hardest rocking tunes on John's debut album, and they are tied. Both classic rockers.

23. NOBODY LOVES YOU (WHEN YOU'RE DOWN AND OUT)

John took it hard that he was separated from Yoko for over a year and was feeling that the world had forgotten about him. The result was this dark and gloomy, but equally brilliant, song.