Mojo Filter's Top 40 Michael Jackson Songs

Tools    

Check out and leave comments on my previous threads listing my Top 50 Male Solo Artists, Top 20 Female Solo Artists, Top 50 Bands, and Top 30 Beatles Songs.

The following are my Top 40 Songs by the greatest pop musician that ever lived, the King of Pop...

MICHAEL JACKSON

NOTE: The list does not include any songs by The Jacksons, or the Jackson 5. The following songs are from Michael's solo song catalog
40. BEHIND THE MASK
(2010, Michael)

Recorded in the early 80's but not released until after his death, Michael's cover of Behind The Mask is an infectious pop tune.

Oh, no, no. Don't like that "Behind the Mask" thing. Shouldn't have even included it.

Oh, no, no. Don't like that "Behind the Mask" thing. Shouldn't have even included it.
Ah, but I like that Behind The Mask thing. I like it a lot actually. The best song on the Michael album.

39. YOU ROCK MY WORLD
(2001, Invincible)

One of the last timeless classics Michael released in his lifetime. Cool video, in the vein of Smooth Criminal, directed by Brett Ratner, and featuring Marlon Brando, Chris Tucker, and Michael Madsen.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
I contemplated a Michael Jackson countdown, but I haven't had the time to get around to starting it. I am really interested to see what you are going to have on yours, though.

I think the best part of "You Rock My World" is how it sounds from 4:10 - 4:30 (and of course the repeat of that same melody a little later on). I actually really didn't mind "Invincible". It wasn't a bad album at all. It is a shame that it didn't get a little better attention. There are some really good songs on there.

38. BAD
(1987, Bad)

One of Michael's signature songs, but it's actually one of my least favorite tracks on the Bad album. Great video/short film directed by Martin Scorsese and featuring Wesley Snipes.

37. DANGEROUS
(1991, Dangerous)

The title track from Michael's 1991 album is a high-octane pop/dance number. I'm surprised it was never officially released as a single, as it would have been another Number 1 hit for Michael, and made for another killer video.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
I think I liked "Bad" better when it was first released compared to now. I still enjoy the video, though. That is a classic. I can still remember the big deal that it was with everyone that I knew when it premiered.

"Dangerous" is pretty decent, though.

Bad isn't the best Michael Jackson song, but I think it's WAY better than Dangerous.

36. MORPHINE//SUPERFLY SISTER
(1997, Blood On The Dancefloor: HIStory In The Mix)

2 of the most awesome, and often overlooked, tracks on the remix album Blood On The Dancefloor are the hard and heavy Morphine, where Michael condemns drugs like morphine and Demerol, that eventually and ironically killed him a decade later, and the slow and funky dance track Superfly Sister.

I don't think I've even heard those songs before.... you're obsessed with the obscure, less popular Michael Jackson songs. I'm not surprised.

35. SPEED DEMON
(1987, Bad)

Michael's 1988 movie Moonwalker wasn't necessarily the best of movies, but it did feature some really cool music videos, including the one where Michael transforms into a motorcycle riding leather jacket wearing rabbit being chased by a bunch of weirdoes.

I don't think I've even heard those songs before.... you're obsessed with the obscure, less popular Michael Jackson songs. I'm not surprised.
I'm a huge Michael Jackson fan, and I know his entire song catalog inside out. You're bound to see a lot of songs on my list that you would not have heard of. Consider this my favor to you for exposing you to his incredible music.

34. JAM//WHY YOU WANNA TRIP ON ME
(1991, Dangerous)

Dangerous starts off with the funky dance track Jam, which is considered by many to be one of Michael's strongest album openers. The video to the song is famous for featuring basketball legend Michael Jordan teach Michael how to play basketball, as Michael teaches Jordan how to dance. The second track on the Dangerous album, this rather obscure track, where Michael talks to the media about laying off attacking him and instead focus on addressing relevant social issues such as poverty and police brutality has always been one of my fixations when listening to Dangerous. It still sounds great.

33. D.S.
(1995, History: Past, Present and Future, Book 1)

One of my favorite tracks on History. the hard rocking dig at Tom Sneddon, the prosecutor during the first child molestation case. The song is just one of many collaborations Michael had with guitarist Slash.