Movie a Day by the Bay

Tools    

Saw Ms. 45 recently and thoroughly enjoyed it. My only beef was that I didn't think it was that exploitive. I do prefer The King of New York and Bad Lieutenant from that director.
I thought it was perfectly exploitative, personally. Maybe not Thriller level exploitative, but I still felt disgusted by the world Ferrera created and whatnot. I get your point though. I think too much would have gotten in the way. In my opinion, Ms. 45 strikes a fine line between exploitation and proper filmmaking. Though I still feel, stylistically, it's an exploitation film at heart.

I'm very pleased to see you took to Ms.45 so well, Swan. It's always a bit of a worry when you recommend something to someone that they're going to buy blind, so that rating is so much the sweeter to me for that, if nothing else. Seeing how you rated Death Race 2000 as well, I feel I've steered you well with those purchases. I'm happy about that.

I liked The King Of New York back in the early/mid 90's, but I've not seen it since. Bad Lieutenant was a film I never got on with.
Yeah dude, thanks for the rec again. Will be checking out more from this director.

I don't know that I'd recommend anything else by him as a blind buy, but there's a few worth taking a look at.

Take Shelter (Jeff Nichols, 2011) -
+++
[REWATCH]

So I just had possibly the most profound viewing experience of my entire life.

It's weird, because I've seen this movie before. The first time I saw it, before I was diagnosed with schizophrenia, it was with my parents and one of my sisters. I didn't hate it, but I wasn't blown away either. I simply didn't connect with it all that much. By the second viewing I had been diagnosed, and I loved it. It became a favorite. To me, it was a fascinating but overall ambiguous movie, rather than a tale about mental illness. Lately, however, I've been thinking about it, and how it works really well as a straightforward narrative about schizophrenia. It might not spell everything out, but you can interpret everything to fit that narrative easily.

For example, the ending. I almost want to criticize the film right now for its ending, because I could tell my mom - who usually goes for Hollywood type stuff - was absolutely loving it until the ending, which confused her a bit. But on a personal level, I think it's the perfect ending. I believe the ending is a metaphor that Sam is part of his illness now - in the sense that, she's sticking by his side and is going to care for him. I love this. Sam is top three characters of all-time for me (as Curtis is) because she sticks by Curtis's side throughout the film. That's strong. To me, the greatest thing about this film is that theme, that lesson, that when someone has mental illness, the best treatment you can give them is to surround them with caring people who will stick by them through thick and thin. Samantha is the representation of that lesson. But she's also a fully developed, realistic female character unto herself.

So I watched it again with my mother and father tonight. It was incredibly moving. I nearly broke down, I almost wanted to leave at some scenes. It was hard to watch because a lot of it brought back bad memories of my own mental breakdown. That said, one of the things I like about the film is that it reminds me that people with mental illness are all unique with their own individual experiences dealing with the illness. Curtis's mental breakdown, despite some similarities and mostly the same overall sense of confusion, is very different from what mine was. For some reason, this actually makes me feel closer to the character, because it makes him a separate individual who is nonetheless dealing with the same stuff I dealt with.

Take Shelter is an incredibly, profoundly moving film for me on a deeply personal level, and I now regard it as my favorite film of all-time.

Great review Swan. I love personal reviews so much and you sharing something this personal is beautiful to me. I agree whole heartedly about the ending. I think it is perfect. Well done sir.

Thanks Sean. I think that's the best compliment you can give a man. Take a look at his review and say "that's good."

Master of My Domain
1. Checked the rating

- Maybe I'll see this

2. Read the review

- I'm gonna watch this soon

3. Saw that the film is Swan's new #1

- Yep, dis gon b good.

There's a lot I could say about this film, actually. Just to continue a bit... I was sitting right next to my parents and there were certain points I could see it from their point of view. One of my favorite lines in the film is when Curtis's friend Dewart asks him if he's alright, and says "I just don't want to see you f*ck up." This might not seem profound to anyone else, but it was for me because I know my parents feel the same way, and I know I don't want to see myself f*ck up, which is all too easy when you have schizophrenia or the like.

That was beautiful dude...
Thanks man, appreciate it. Kind of poured my heart out there.

your review reminds me when I watch American History X for the first time and completely fall in love with the movie!

btw one of the best review I've seen and it's great to see the love for the movie in the review +rep for you man

Wow, Swan, didn't expect such a review. Very different and very personal. You didn't have to say much and I had a clear idea of what you meant. Or at least I felt like I could draw some kind of picture.

Personally, I don't suffer from anything in or around the category that you do, but yet I felt like I, at least to some extent, understood what you meant. Nevertheless, despite whether or not I can relate on a personal level, I think we have all bumped into that movie that simply feels almost too close to heart. I really like this film as well by the way, so it might be great with a refreshing of it soon... Especially since it's your new number one and all!

Thanks for the reading, Swan. I respect you for delivering such deep and personal review. It takes courage to be honest, but it takes some heavy balls to be downright personal in the way that you did it here. Way to go bro!

Thanks MM. One of the joys of cinema is finding those gems that strike a chord with you and become ingrained in your psyche for personal reasons. Thankfully, I have this wonderful film that makes me feel a bit more understood and not so alone. I'm feeling pretty damn good right now, and I have this film to thank for that.

Sweet and intense review, Swan!

When a film gets praised by someone who stands very close to its themes in real life, that is almost always a sign that the film has a great understanding of what it's talking about. The fact that it also was able to touch you so deeply means that they also found the right emotional balance to charge that understanding.

This definitely is a film that we will all need to watch now. Thanks for sharing this heartfelt experience with us!

Great review Swan, had to like it both here and on Letterboxd. Take Shelter is undoubtedly a splendid film. It's a great feeling when certain films can affect us on such a personal level.