The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
glad to see Paper Moon make it; one of my favs, but, sadly, didn't make my list. Marathon Man was something i always wanted to check out and never seemed to. . . really need to rectify that
And it looks like i had M*A*S*H* with the highest rating: #5
"That is all,"

That would make the entirety of Bond films that I've seen. Two. Neither were from the 60's or 70's though.
Then you haven't seen the truly good ones yet.

I've officially given up hope on Sorcerer making the list.
You thougt Sorcerer would make it? Hell, it might be #1, but I didn't think it'd show for a second. It seems to be undergoing a reappraisal atm, but not enough for it to make the list. Maybe in another 10 years or so.

Have seen them both and liked them both a lot, but neither made my list. I think being the age I was in the '70s has skewed my list completely away from most films that are going to end up on this list -- except for the heavyweights that everyone saw and was influence by back then.

Frankly, it never really occurred to me to start *watching* '70s movies precisely to develop my list. I just went by movies I'd already seen (mostly at the time, during the '70s) and rated them that way.

But I suppose you folks who weren't born till, like, the '80s had to go ahead and purposely watch movies on your own. Poor bastards. LOL
I did a similar thing, Aus. It meant I didn't watch a single film in preperation for the list. I honestly didn't see anything I'd be watching for the first time making my list over any of the films I already love and have had to leave off my list. Let alone beating the ones that made it.
I guess Mr. bond won't be making an appearance on this list. We better see him multiple times in the 60s countdown.
Sadly, I fear this is true. 73 to 78. That's the only Bond I really like and even that's allowing Moonraker. For those who've yet to see it though, Goldfinger is on ITV this weekend.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
Paper Moon and Marathon Man are both good picks. Glad to see them on the list.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Not the biggest fan of Don't Look Now, but it's certainly not a bad film.

I loved The Conformist though, one of the last few to be cut from my list that could have made it on another day. To me it was well shot and just incredibly cool. I've heard a few people on here say it was boring, but i couldn't agree less the story captivated me; and i was particularly fond of the dialogue.

Seen - 12/30
My List - 2/25

12.Paper Moon
21.Mean Streets

Let the night air cool you off
Two good movies, none were on my list. I especially like The Conformist which has some very gorgeous cinematography.
Agreed. If this list was only for best scenes of the 70s, the scene in the woods of The Conformist would be very, very high on my list. It's stunning.

Don't Look Now I've only seen once, and it has a very creepy feel, but it didn't totally work for me. I suspect it's a film that I could appreciate a lot more on repeat viewings. The Conformist has been on my radar for years, and yet I've still not seen it. I will rectify that very soon.

If you go back and look at Marathon Man's point total, you'll see that, yup, we had yet another numerical tie. Both it and Don't Look Now earned a hundred and three points. Marathon Man had a first place nod and two other top tens of its seven total votes. Don't Look Now also had three top tens (a second place, a third, and a tenth) but was on nine total lists, including three of you who all somehow independently decided it would be your twenty-first pick. By appearing on more ballots, Don't Look Now took the higher position on the list.

Bertolucci's The Conformist was on eight ballots, with three top ten selections: a second place, a fifth, and an eighth.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	coat.jpg
Views:	905
Size:	269.4 KB
ID:	16513  

In regards to the Sorceror discussion i actually hope it does not make it. In my world its another unnecessary remake, and imho its a bit of a mess compared to the original The Wages of Fear from 1953 by Henri-Georges Clouzot. Which is a lot better.

I did like two things about it, the river scene where the truck had to pass the bridge and the soundtrack by Tangerine Dream.

One movie by Friedkin that i hope to make it is The Exorcist but mostly out of my nostalghia for horror movies

If this list was only for best scenes of the 70s, the scene in the woods of The Conformist would be very, very high on my list. It's stunning.
I would say exactly the same thing about the famous, glorious sex scene in Don't Look Now.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	julie.jpg
Views:	917
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	16512  

One movie by Friedkin that i hope to make it is The Exorcist but mostly out of my nostalghia for horror movies
There is no way The Exorcist doesn't appear on the list. So don't worry.

I didn't like Don't Look Now very much when I saw it, but it's Roeg, so I'm prepared to give it another chance. It has to look of a film I might like if I can get into the atmosphere of the film.

The Conformist? Well, let's just say that I've seen it at least twice. I say "at least" because when I wrote a little about watching the film someone, JD I think, pointed out that I'd seen and written about the film less than a year earlier. That's how uninvolved I am with The Conformist. The two scene pictured in Holden's post are both beautifully shot and, along with the scene in the dancehall, are the only parts of the film worth watching.

I watched both of those movies for the first time a couple months back, and liked both of them a lot. I didn't vote for either, but I'm glad they both made it and I expected them to.