Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Why do you love big-budget movies? (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=51569)

jemo 10-11-17 07:03 AM

Why do you love big-budget movies?

I'm a big fan of high-budget movies and today I want to talk about why I love blockbusters so much.

For me it's a combination of several things:
  • Special effects nowadays are amazing and stimulates my brain. You can't see the difference between what's real and what's not. They enroll you in a new adventure for 2 hours, that's so exciting!
  • Amazing music and soundtracks. We often forget this part in movies but they play an essential role in bringing emotional state when watching a movie (excitement, fear, happiness, sadness) etc.
  • Actors: you can't get really good actors without money.
  • Details: costumes, scenes, objects, camera effects. The devil is in the details. I also add some spicy dialogs and tones of actors here. Can make the difference between a good movie and a bad one.

My overall sentiment is that these movies make me live some great adventures while seating comfortably in my chair!

And you? Why do you love blockbusters?

Swan 10-11-17 07:10 AM

I've come to really enjoy good blockbusters this last year. I'm basically quoting an earlier post I made today (I literally went to find that post so I could copy what I said, hahahguirhepguh), but at their best blockbusters combine genuinely great entertainment with loads of heart and substance.

ScarletLion 10-11-17 07:16 AM

Bob Holness mostly

This might be a UK only joke

doubledenim 10-11-17 07:19 AM

Terminator 2 and Jurassic Park. That's why. When done well, it's a theme park experience you can have sitting on your rump.

jemo 10-11-17 08:19 AM

Re: Blockbuster fans, why do you love blockbusters?

I loved the joke about Bob Holness :-D. This show was also available in the US according to wikipedia.

Yes Terminator 2 and Jurassic Park. Great blockbusters!

Dannii 10-11-17 11:50 AM

I thought this thread was for Blockbusters with Bob Holness😁 i'll have a P please Bob! Great game show it was.

jemo 10-11-17 12:09 PM

Damned, this show was seriously popular if you immediately thought about it!

I tried to rename the post to "Why do you love blockbusters movies?" but I can't do it. I tried to move the thread and just rename it but it doesn't work: I can't move the thread in the same forum with a new name. Any suggestion?

Dannii 10-11-17 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by jemo (Post 1799197)
Damned, this show was seriously popular if you immediately thought about it!

I tried to rename the post to "Why do you love blockbusters movies?" but I can't do it. I tried to move the thread and just rename it but it doesn't work: I can't move the thread in the same forum with a new name. Any suggestion?
I haven't a clue! Would be interesting to see how many more members make the same mistake as i did though. Blockbusters was very popular 😊

Citizen Rules 10-11-17 12:16 PM

At first, I thought this was about the old BlockbusterVideo stores and you were an employee trying do drum up business:p

https://storia-prod-be.akamaized.net...jpg/tn/400x300

jemo 10-11-17 12:18 PM

Oh god... Seriously? :-D. This company has been killed by Netflix...

Chypmunk 10-11-17 12:22 PM

And I bet it seemed such a simple, innocuous question at the time .... :rotfl:

Ask a mod or Yoda to change the title for you ..... and maybe you might want to consider using the term 'big budget' in that title rather than 'blockbuster' ;)

Dannii 10-11-17 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1799200)
At first, I thought this was about the old BlockbusterVideo stores and you were an employee trying do drum up business:p

https://storia-prod-be.akamaized.net...jpg/tn/400x300
Our former Blockbusters is now a massive Shoe Shop😃

Citizen Rules 10-11-17 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Dannii (Post 1799207)
Called CornBusters...maybe;)

HashtagBrownies 10-11-17 12:35 PM

Their time killers.

Chypmunk 10-11-17 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dannii (Post 1799207)
Is there really that much call for massive shoes in the Pool? :eek:

jemo 10-11-17 12:37 PM

@Yoda, can you rename this thread to "Why do you love big-budget movies?".

gandalf26 10-11-17 12:43 PM

Re: Why do you love big-budget movies?

I like a film because it's good, sometimes those films also happen to be blockbusters.

Citizen Rules 10-11-17 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by jemo (Post 1799202)
Oh god... Seriously? :-D. This company has been killed by Netflix...
Yup Netflix took them out.

Luis 10-11-17 01:03 PM

Re: Why do you love big-budget movies?

I just love good movies. If it's a giant blockbuster and it's well made, I will probably love it, regardless of hype. Same thing with smaller movies.

Sir Toose 10-11-17 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by jemo (Post 1799107)
Actors: you can't get really good actors without money.
Because I can't let anything pass without some small argument -
There are fantastic actors who don't make big Hollywood coin. Blockbusters tend to employ the most famous actors, not necessarily the good ones because the famous ones are more $ure to draw a crowd. Have to pay those production costs somehow.

But yeah, brain candy and big explosions are hard to beat sometimes.