Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Ongoing Tournaments & Brackets (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Slasher Hall of Fame Part II (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=60012)

Siddon 09-05-19 11:12 PM

Slasher Hall of Fame Part II

Well it's been a while, I wasn't even on the board when it came out..

https://render.fineartamerica.com/im...the-artist.jpg

Rules are simple, send in one or two noms, we'll try and get this started around October 1st for Halloween

The only disqualified films are the previous winners Halloween(1978), Deep Red, and Psycho

rules  

Maybes

Nominees

Peeping Tom (1960)

https://alchetron.com/cdn/Peeping-To...4a6b3f44de.jpg

Black Chrismas (1974)

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/af/3f...195dc6b653.jpg

The Prowler(1981)
https://pm1.narvii.com/7082/9527fd5d...-1283v2_hq.jpg

Psycho II (1983)
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-426tmEQgZ...00/ah-13-2.jpg

Slaughter High (1986)

https://pm1.narvii.com/6937/3b3019b3...-1221v2_hq.jpg

Scream(1996)
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/54/06/5c/5...4445896f82.jpg

I Know What you Did Last Summer(1997)
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ae/6b...6162c204ea.jpg

Inside(2007)
https://live.staticflickr.com/8044/8...c650f958_b.jpg

Terrifier (2016)

https://uwmpost.com/wp-content/uploa...9449511970.jpg

jiraffejustin 09-05-19 11:18 PM

Re: Slasher Hall of Fame Part II

20 noms feels like too much for this.

Siddon 09-05-19 11:19 PM

Reviews -

Ahwell 10/10 - list sent

April Fools Day
Black Christmas
I Know What You Did Last Summer
Inside
Peeping Tom
The Prowler
Psycho II
Scream
Slaughter High
Terrifier

Cat_Sidhe 4/10
Friday the 13th

Inside
Scream

JiraffeJustin 1/9
Inside
Terrifier

Mr.Antlers 1/12 - Disqualified
Friday the 13th

Siddon 7/9
Black Christmas
Peeping Tom
The Prowler
Psycho II
Scream
Slaughter High

The Usual Suspects 4/9
Black Chrismas
Scream
Psycho II
Terrifier

jiraffejustin 09-05-19 11:20 PM

I'll wait and see how it looks before I commit

ahwell 09-05-19 11:37 PM

I’m nominating one for now, because I don’t know if I can do 20.

Derek Vinyard 09-05-19 11:44 PM

20 ?! I'll wait too

TheUsualSuspect 09-10-19 06:33 PM

Nominating two films??

I'll do one. Two seems too much.

jiraffejustin 09-10-19 10:39 PM

I think if we can get around 8-12 people who all nominate one film each, that would be the perfect zone for this type of event.

Siddon 09-10-19 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Derek Vinyard (Post 2034225)
20 ?! I'll wait too

We have 1 nominated film if you just want to nominate 1 film that's fine

Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect (Post 2035172)
Nominating two films??

I'll do one. Two seems too much.

So nominate 1 I'm not going to run this unless we get 8 films I don't care how we get them just that we get them.

Originally Posted by jiraffejustin (Post 2035221)
I think if we can get around 8-12 people who all nominate one film each, that would be the perfect zone for this type of event.

Yeah no kidding, I would love 8 people but that doesn't look like it's happening

jiraffejustin 09-11-19 12:17 AM

Maybe instead of starting this on Friday the 13th, you should wait until the start of October. There might just be too many HoFs going on right now for the people who are into HoFs to be up for this one. I don't pop in as much as I used to, but it seems now as if these things were bullets, this place would be dangerous.

Siddon 09-11-19 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by jiraffejustin (Post 2035239)
Maybe instead of starting this on Friday the 13th, you should wait until the start of October. There might just be too many HoFs going on right now for the people who are into HoFs to be up for this one. I don't pop in as much as I used to, but it seems now as if these things were bullets, this place would be dangerous.

I don't get what that second statement means however I think we've got 4 people who haven't finished both of the Halls and new ones are going to pop up. I don't particularly like running a second one I thought there was interest but I guess not.

I don't get why people who watch horror movies during Halloween don't sign up for this.

TheUsualSuspect 09-11-19 02:11 AM

Well I'm in. Let me know if others join up. We should avoid all the Halloweens, Nightmares, Fridays and Chainsaws just to change it up from the usual.

ahwell 09-13-19 05:31 PM

Is this still happening? Who's in right now?

jiraffejustin 09-13-19 06:19 PM

Right now it seems like 1. Siddon, 2. ahwell, 3. TUS, 4. me and that's it for the moment. With Derek as a wait and see. I just nominated mine.

Siddon 09-18-19 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by ahwell (Post 2035691)
Is this still happening? Who's in right now?

I updated the top of the list, Destiny gave us two noms so that helps both will make Usual Suspects happy. We've got 6 movies, if you want to do another nom that'll be 7.

Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect (Post 2035250)
Well I'm in. Let me know if others join up. We should avoid all the Halloweens, Nightmares, Fridays and Chainsaws just to change it up from the usual.

Yeah you don't have to worry about that, so if you have a nomination please send it

Siddon 09-18-19 02:05 PM

Very good nominations BTW...so far not a dud in the field

Ðèstîñy 09-18-19 02:39 PM

Actually, I only turned in one nomination. I listed another movie, just in case the first movie I chose was already taken. Then I did the exact same thing again, just in case the second movie I chose was already taken. I do believe everyone wants to keep it at one nomination each. That's fine by me.

Siddon 09-18-19 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Ðèstîñy (Post 2036515)
Actually, I only turned in one nomination. I listed another movie, just in case the first movie I chose was already taken. Then I did the exact same thing again, just in case the second movie I chose was already taken. I do believe everyone wants to keep it at one nomination each. That's fine by me.

If we get rid of the doubles than we drop down to 4 films...so no not everyone wants to do one nomination. I know people were scared about the possibility of 20 films but that's not happening. You don't have to do two noms and if you don't think you'll finish I don't want you to but the doubles have worked out very well in the comedy hall's and I think you guys should give it a try.

Ðèstîñy 09-18-19 03:09 PM

If the three maybes pop in, we will have nine nominations, with one nomination per member. However, if you would prefer more films being nominated and everyone is fine with that, I will nominate a second film. It's your thread, so it's your choice. As I stated in my private message .... If the first two films I listed are still available, then those are my nominations, in said order.

TheUsualSuspect 09-19-19 11:03 PM

I nominated.

cat_sidhe 09-20-19 12:38 PM

I've only sent one nomination. I'll nominate another if nobody else joins.

TheUsualSuspect 09-25-19 11:09 PM

Can I get a confirmation on this, is it happening or not?

Siddon 09-26-19 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect (Post 2037896)

It sure is...what's the story
You guys in or out or do you need to see the reveal before you decide?

Siddon 09-26-19 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect (Post 2037896)

Also keep in mind...

2nd Animation Hall of Fame
Host: Rauldc14
Deadline: September 18th

Pre-1930s Hall of Fame II
Host: Citizen Rules
Deadline: October 1st

TheUsualSuspect 09-27-19 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Siddon (Post 2037944)
Also keep in mind...

True, lots of things going on. At least I'll be okay since I'm not participating in any of those.

ahwell 09-27-19 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Siddon (Post 2037944)
Also keep in mind...

I'm done with both, so I'm good.

Siddon 09-28-19 02:39 PM

And we're live, I will allow any nominations from anyone for the first week it should be a fun hall and I don't see a dog in the field.

cricket 09-28-19 02:49 PM

Seen all of them except I Know What You Did Last Summer. Maybe I'll watch it when I'm done with my silents. I just posted a gif from Slaughter High a couple days ago in a different thread. A lot of great noms here.

jiraffejustin 09-28-19 03:45 PM

thoughts on noms:

Peeping Tom: Probably the front runner for me. This film is a classic and I loved it when I saw it.

Black Christmas: I believe I've seen it a couple times, but neither time did it really live up to its reputation for me. I'm curious to see how I'll react to it now.

Alice Sweet Alice: This was nominated the first time around. It's a great bit of nasty, gritty 70's film-making.

The Prowler: My nomination. It doesn't re-invent the slasher wheel, but it does the slasher film genre justice. That poster is atrocious though, I've never seen that poster before.

Psycho II: There is no way it can be as good as the original, but I've heard good things about it. I'm hoping it will be in the same vein as the Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2.

Slaughter High: I don't think I really know anything about this one.

April Fools Day: I know I've seen this before, but I can't really remember anything about it other than I didn't care for it.

Scream: Speaking of re-inventing the slasher wheel. I suppose this did that, but other than being a shot-in-the-arm for the genre, this film is mostly a good time with a few things that I'm actually not looking forward to revisiting.

I Know What You Did Last Summer: I know I've seen this film, but I don't know if I actually have ever seen it from start to finish in one sitting. It's been a long time though. From what I remember, I don't expect this to be very high on my final ballot.

Inside: I'm aware of this one, but I haven't seen it. I never really thought of it being a potential slasher for some reason. This is probably the one I'm most excited about seeing for the first time.

Terrifier: I know very, very little about this one.

Siddon 09-28-19 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by jiraffejustin (Post 2038337)
thoughts on noms:

The Prowler: My nomination. It doesn't re-invent the slasher wheel, but it does the slasher film genre justice. That poster is atrocious though, I've never seen that poster before.

I can change it which do you prefer, I picked it for sizing purposes

https://image.tmdb.org/t/p/original/...GUrSmy7SL4.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/42/39/8b/4...39bf2c835a.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/12/54...85f89607ee.jpg

https://i2.wp.com/bloody-disgusting....fit=736%2C1090

jiraffejustin 09-28-19 05:03 PM

No, you don't have to change it. Sorry, I wasn't trying to be unkind to you in anyway. You can leave it, I don't think any of us will let the poster influence our opinion of the movie as a whole. (And others might not find that poster as weird as I do.)

Mr. Antlers 09-28-19 06:26 PM

How big of a list will this be?

Also, is there voting?

pahaK 09-28-19 08:44 PM

Won't be joining (no time and little love for slashers) but wanted to say that I'm rooting for Alice, Sweet Alice.

Mr. Antlers 09-28-19 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by pahaK (Post 2038361)
Won't be joining (no time and little love for slashers) but wanted to say that I'm rooting for Alice, Sweet Alice.
Why do you like 'Alice, Sweet Alice' the best?

Siddon 09-28-19 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Antlers (Post 2038350)

Also, is there voting?

Right now we are at 11, if you have one or two films you wish to nominate that would bring us up to 12 or 13. If you want to just review and vote you can do that as well. Hope to have you

Mr. Antlers 09-29-19 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by Siddon (Post 2038374)
Right now we are at 11, if you have one or two films you wish to nominate that would bring us up to 12 or 13. If you want to just review and vote you can do that as well. Hope to have you
I sent you a PM.

TheUsualSuspect 09-29-19 02:42 AM

Scream for me is the best of the bunch here, an iconic horror film.

But maybe that will go against it, since I don't let the obvious winners getting the top spot.

CosmicRunaway 09-29-19 07:53 AM

I didn't get a notification from that tag, so I don't think your mentions are working properly Siddon. I know you can't copy+paste them, so maybe that's the problem?

Anyway, while I like horror films, I'm not a fan of the slasher genre. Every now and then there'll be one I like (that's usually also a comedy), but I typically find them quite boring to watch. So I won't be joining the HoF, but I'll certainly be creeping on the thread as I've already been doing haha.

pahaK 09-29-19 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Antlers (Post 2038363)
Why do you like 'Alice, Sweet Alice' the best?
I generally like gialli and Alice, Sweet Alice is quite similar to them despite not being Italian. It looks good, has enough depth, has interesting characters, has very decent script and most importantly it's entertaining.

I guess I should also mention that I haven't seen Peeping Tom or Psycho II since I was a kid so obviously more accurate claim would be that I like Alice, Sweet Alice the best from the ones I've seen as an adult.

Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect (Post 2038386)
Scream for me is the best of the bunch here, an iconic horror film.
I actually rewatched Scream about a week ago. I found it just as bad as I remembered and it required some willpower to finish. It's a parody of horror films trying to convey us that horror films are stupid and only proper way to watch them is to have a beer and laugh at the screen. To me it's the epitome of everything bad in American horror and it irritates me that such a film has become an iconic horror film itself. Just my opinion, that is.

Mr. Antlers 09-29-19 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Siddon (Post 2038374)
Originally Posted by Mr. Antlers (Post 2038350)

Also, is there voting?

Did you get my message? I sent 2 now.

Siddon 09-29-19 05:23 PM

Friday the 13th
-Mr Antlers

The Birth of the Kill, and the Death of a Debate

Many people like to site movies like Peeping Tom and Psycho as being the birthplace of slasher movies, or even some obscure Giallos. Then there are some that call those two movies simply precursors to the subgenre, because all the elements that make up a slasher movie weren't there.

Then you have another camp who believe that Black Christmas and Halloween were the real first slasher movies because there's anonymity and mystery about the killers. This isn't some psychological thing, it's just pure madness with no reason. And now your killers would stalk and slash groups, picking them off one by one (Halloween being the one to add into the mix the Final Girl and her battle with the killer). Texas Chainsaw Massacre had the final girl as well, but they were lacking in anonymity and stalking elements, also with way too many killers.

Then there's people like me who see where the genre is today, and dissect everything that makes a slasher movie a good, fun experience. And for me, one of the most important elements in a slasher movie is the kill. If you don't have creative kills done with practical effects, then you've lost a good majority of what your subgenre requires of you. Why even bother making a slasher movie to begin with? It's kinda like the game Mortal Kombat, and how important the fatalities are in that game. You take away the fatalities, and the game loses it's edge that separated it from other fighting games. Aggressive, in your face visual trauma is what makes a slasher movie stand out amongst other horror subgenres. Quite frankly, it's the very thing that makes it unique and off putting to the squeamish.

Which brings us to my pick for the slasher hall of fame. The one and only, granddaddy of them all.
Friday the 13th was the first slasher movie to highlight the kill and make an art form out of it, and in some ways, I think making the kill an art form was the final piece in the template that would come to be know as the slasher movie. In my opinion, Friday the 13th (1980) is the first complete slasher movie.

In the future reviews are posted in the thread for everyone to read and discuss

Mr. Antlers 09-29-19 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Siddon (Post 2038459)
Friday the 13th
-Mr Antlers

The Birth of the Kill, and the Death of a Debate

Many people like to site movies like Peeping Tom and Psycho as being the birthplace of slasher movies, or even some obscure Giallos. Then there are some that call those two movies simply precursors to the subgenre, because all the elements that make up a slasher movie weren't there.

Then you have another camp who believe that Black Christmas and Halloween were the real first slasher movies because there's anonymity and mystery about the killers. This isn't some psychological thing, it's just pure madness with no reason. And now your killers would stalk and slash groups, picking them off one by one (Halloween being the one to add into the mix the Final Girl and her battle with the killer). Texas Chainsaw Massacre had the final girl as well, but they were lacking in anonymity and stalking elements, also with way too many killers.

Then there's people like me who see where the genre is today, and dissect everything that makes a slasher movie a good, fun experience. And for me, one of the most important elements in a slasher movie is the kill. If you don't have creative kills done with practical effects, then you've lost a good majority of what your subgenre requires of you. Why even bother making a slasher movie to begin with? It's kinda like the game Mortal Kombat, and how important the fatalities are in that game. You take away the fatalities, and the game loses it's edge that separated it from other fighting games. Aggressive, in your face visual trauma is what makes a slasher movie stand out amongst other horror subgenres. Quite frankly, it's the very thing that makes it unique and off putting to the squeamish.

Which brings us to my pick for the slasher hall of fame. The one and only, granddaddy of them all.
Friday the 13th was the first slasher movie to highlight the kill and make an art form out of it, and in some ways, I think making the kill an art form was the final piece in the template that would come to be know as the slasher movie. In my opinion, Friday the 13th (1980) is the first complete slasher movie.

In the future reviews are posted in the thread for everyone to read and discuss
I thought they were going to be presented with the entry? Man, you guys are all foweled up.

cat_sidhe 10-03-19 11:37 AM

So this has started already? Just noticed today ot had.

Siddon 10-04-19 04:51 PM

Yup...watching Black Christmas tonight

Siddon 10-05-19 02:50 AM

https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.town...size=400%2C222

Black Christmas(1974) is one of the early not Italian slashers...some might even call it the first slasher. The film has a few things going for it that other slashers don't have. The big thing is the film plays out over the course of a night you get a passage of time that helps distinguish this from other films. It also has a very nice color pallet and even though to borrows heavily from Argento it still has that American grind-house look to it.

A couple things I didn't care for was the obscene caller thing has been done better. The gutteral sounds are okay but I prefer Scream and When a Stranger Calls to what they did with Black Christmas. I also wish we would have gotten more from the mystery aspect of the film the killer fairly obvious and we're never really given other options so that hurts the overall impact of the film.

Still it's alright good nomination.

TheUsualSuspect 10-05-19 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Siddon (Post 2039468)
https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.town...size=400%2C222

I also wish we would have gotten more from the mystery aspect of the film the killer fairly obvious and we're never really given other options so that hurts the overall impact of the film.
This sentence confuses me a bit. Are you upset about the "reveal" or lack there of of the killer?

Siddon 10-05-19 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect (Post 2039490)
This sentence confuses me a bit. Are you upset about the "reveal" or lack there of of the killer?

I think that with slashers you either go with a mystery (Deep Red, Prom Night, Friday the 13th part 1) or a monster (Friday the 13th part 4, Terror Train, The Burning, Halloween) Black Christmas doesn't really do either or very well. The focus of the film is less on the killer and more on the girls so for me it was unsatisfying.

ahwell 10-05-19 07:14 PM

Black Christmas

Well, not much to say about this one. It was just annoying. All the characters - I mean every single one - except for maybe Jess, were people I didn't care about in the slightest. They were either horrible human beings, irresponsible, stupid, or annoying in general. And that's what makes a horror movie good or bad. Are you rooting for the killer? In this movie, I was. I guess one could make the case for it as being one of the first slashers ever (before even the usual go-to answer Halloween). But being the first doesn't make a movie great. Sure, maybe Black Christmas influenced a lot, but I feel like it didn't really have a good story itself. That said, some of the cinematography is absolutely amazing, for sure classic in that sense. The killing scenes were fun enough, and I liked the abortion subplot. But none of it was resolved. I know that was the movie's goal, but it didn't even bother explaining why it wasn't wrapping up half of the plot points. This movie left me either bored, bewildered, or annoyed. There's still something there, though, that holds it at a semi-decent rating. Not quite sure what is, but I'll give it a:

ahwell 10-05-19 07:15 PM

Where does this thread show who nominated what?

Siddon 10-05-19 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by ahwell (Post 2039550)
Where does this thread show who nominated what?

Oh in the third act after most of the cast has been done away with and the mask is pulled back.

:D

ahwell 10-06-19 03:54 PM

April Fool's Day

I simply hated this one. At least the premise of Black Christmas is good, but even before the reveal this entire movie is stupid. I'm not going to "spoil" the plot twist at the end, even though it's a dumb one, but I'll just say the plot twist ruins the entire movie. I get that it's trying to be funny and fooling and smart. But it's just stupid! The plot is stupid, the script is stupid, the music is stupid. The cinematography is so bland and boring, we get no cool shots like Black Christmas. And the acting! Oh, the acting, how atrocious. I can't find a lot of good things to say about this one, just really unlikable characters, bad premise, and an overall horrible film with a deserving 33% on Rotten Tomatoes.

TheUsualSuspect 10-07-19 08:58 AM

Gonna start this sometime soon. Glad in coincides with my 31 in 31 thread.

jiraffejustin 10-07-19 05:01 PM

Terrifier

SPOILER ALERT

I dug the way this film looked; the low budget kept them from trying to do too much with it. I mean, it does look cheapish, but the blueish and red-ish glow of things and not having any extras walking by kinda gave the whole film a surrealistic aspect to it. It doesn't really make a whole lot of logical sense that these girls were at a club that required them to park in the middle of a totally empty area on Halloween night that also happened to have a pizza place in shopping center that didn't have anything else going and the only people who showed up were people not long for this world. It kinda takes some buying into this film for that stuff to be forgiven, but I bought in.

The fellow playing our baddie, Art the Clown, gave a pretty inspired physical performance. I often thought of Charlie Chaplin as the Tramp with his mannerisms. I'm curious if that was something he looked to for inspiration. And the way his body moved most of them felt right, and it felt like he really embraced the chance to be a really horror film boogeyman.

I think Art the Clown deserves a chance to go on a little sequel run. I'm sure, like every other slasher villain, he will get worse and worse if they get a chance to make anymore. However, his first feature length outing lays a tremendous foundation. He does a lot of messed up things and he does it with a smile. There is the humor already present to go along with the nasty and vile stuff. I can't decide if I think the torture porn stuff was the best idea for this particular character, or if maybe it was better if we see the set up and later we see her split in two instead of showing the whole thing. Sometimes it's better not to see what we know a character did, because we don't have to really linger on the evil nature of this character that we almost have to root for because of how dumb everybody else is. But either the actor who ever really developed this character or a combination of both leads to a movie villain that is quite charismatic. I'm kinda curious as to whether or not we really needed to see what he did in the restroom though. I think that's also a case of it's better to just wonder what he did, because the doodoo all over the place felt a little uninspired.

I like the performance from the dude who played Art, as I've already said, but everybody else kinda sucked a lot. Part of it might be on the writing, but the blonde chick felt unnatural most of the time. The chick in the skeleton costume, I felt was pretty okay most of the time. I really hated the performance of the dude who ended up getting bonked with the hammer. Art should have double-tapped that guy so I didn't have to deal with his phone call to 911.

I appreciate the practical effects in this film quite a bit. Practical effects are almost always going to standout from CGI because for whatever reason that authenticity resonates. The jack-o-lantern head was f*cked up and looked good. The gore all looked worthy of horror film. Art's make-up/costume looked great. The only thing I can complain about is the girl who got her face eaten, the reconstruction just looked like somebody gooped up a bunch of clay and mushed it on a skull and turned in the project halfway done.

Overall though, I'd say Terrifier really delivered. The filmmakers dared to step into a tired genre, took some chances, and gave us something worth watching.

ahwell 10-07-19 07:49 PM

Slaughter High

Slaughter High makes Black Christmas look like a masterpiece and April Fool's Day look not too shabby either. It's simply atrocious. To quote Roger Ebert, "I hated this movie. Hated hated hated hated it." Or something like that. But anyways, I know this movie is trying to be cheesy horror, played sometimes for laughs. But it's dialogue is so horrible, the acting is so bad, and the whole thing is just so awful that it turns out to be one of the most boring movies I've ever watched. It's only an hour and thirty minutes but it felt like the length of Ben-Hur. I can't tell you a single one of the character's names except for Marty because they kept using it every five minutes. And speaking of Marty, talk about a bad protagonist. I mean, his motivation is mentioned once and then dropped. The intro segment is literally pointless and this movie could have been cut down to 50 minutes to an hour having the same premise. Wow. Very poor movie.

Siddon 10-07-19 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by ahwell (Post 2039927)
Slaughter High
And speaking of Marty, talk about a bad protagonist. I mean, his motivation is mentioned once and then dropped.

Well I would say Marty is the antagonist what with the whole murdering and all not the protagonist who was Carol and his motivation is pretty clear based on the first act.

ahwell 10-07-19 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Siddon (Post 2039934)
Originally Posted by ahwell (Post 2039927)
Slaughter High
And speaking of Marty, talk about a bad protagonist. I mean, his motivation is mentioned once and then dropped.

Well I would say Marty is the antagonist what with the whole murdering and all not the protagonist who was Carol and his motivation is pretty clear based on the first act.
Yes and no. It seems that Carol is the protagonist the whole film but at the end we realize it was all in Marty’s head - he was imagining the whole thing and then decides to actual follow through on his plan.

TheUsualSuspect 10-09-19 12:04 AM

A Canadian horror classic that helped set the stage for numerous imitators.

Black Christmas is the little indie slasher flick that few know about, but those who do usually tend to appreciate it. I remember people talking about this movie on old horror boards and asked it for Christmas, my aunt bought it for me and I was really taken back by how low key everything about it was. Upon a re-watch (one of numerous re-watches) the film still maintains a sense of dread, holiday cheer and all around intelligence that most slasher movies fail to achieve.

It really did a number on me when the credits rolled and we never got a good idea of who "Billy" was. I remember thinking I must have misheard the character's name because I don't remember a Billy anywhere in this movie. How could a movie have a killer's identity never really revealed? Even by today's standards, this is rarely done, if at all.

Black Christmas was in my opinion, ahead of its time.

TheUsualSuspect 10-09-19 12:09 AM

I gave this film another chance as I watched it sometime last year, but my rating still remains relatively the same. Terrifier has a great clown and he is used really well. The right look can sell a movie and I believe this movie was sold on his look alone. What he does, why he does it, it doesn't matter to the filmmakers so why should it matter to us?

The gore elements are okay, the better splitting a body up the middle sequence is in Bone Tomahawk. The film has questionable actions from characters, budget issues that dampen the overall quality of the film and a story that feels like it's spinning its wheels. Or lack thereof I should say, since this film feels directionless.

Great clown. Bad movie.

I will give the sequel a chance though and hope they learned from their mistakes and offer something to chew on.

ahwell 10-09-19 05:19 PM

The Prowler

The Prowler has good moments and painfully bad moments. The good moments are ones of creepy and disturbing atmospheric images, as well as sometimes actually interesting dialogue between the characters. The bad moments involve the frankly un-interesting plot and characters (what's the point of the Sheriff being the actual villain). Unfortunately, plot and characters are what usually carry a film, so this kind of falls apart. It's not the worst slasher I've seen, far from it, but it certainly has many problems. I will say, some of the jump scares scared the **** out of me :), so I'll give it a decent rating based on how scary it was. The film as a whole though? It was good to watch once, I guess, but I'll never re-watch it again by my own choice. Fun while it lasted.

ahwell 10-09-19 05:20 PM

Next I think I'll go for Pyscho II, although I'll be watching Pyscho first just to refresh what happened.

Sedai 10-09-19 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by ahwell (Post 2039663)
April Fool's Day

I simply hated this one. At least the premise of Black Christmas is good, but even before the reveal this entire movie is stupid. I'm not going to "spoil" the plot twist at the end, even though it's a dumb one, but I'll just say the plot twist ruins the entire movie. I get that it's trying to be funny and fooling and smart. But it's just stupid! The plot is stupid, the script is stupid, the music is stupid. The cinematography is so bland and boring, we get no cool shots like Black Christmas. And the acting! Oh, the acting, how atrocious. I can't find a lot of good things to say about this one, just really unlikable characters, bad premise, and an overall horrible film with a deserving 33% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Don't you blaspheme in here! April Fool's Day is awesome in all its goofy, over-the-top glory. I would even say it was the first meta slasher flick, way before Scream was even a glimmer of an idea...

A toast to April Fool's Day!

https://movieboozer.com/wp-content/u...3446907533.jpg

ahwell 10-09-19 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Sedai (Post 2040334)
Don't you blaspheme in here! April Fool's Day is awesome in all its goofy, over-the-top glory. I would even say it was the first meta slasher flick, way before Scream was even a glimmer of an idea...

A toast to April Fool's Day!

https://movieboozer.com/wp-content/u...3446907533.jpg
:nope:

Siddon 10-13-19 05:01 PM

@Destiny and @MrAntlers are both on the verge disqualifications

So

Friday the 13th
Alice Sweet Alice
April Fools Day

Are all on the verge of DQ and I am pissed off about this

If someone would like to do a IPaddress check on MrAntlers I would really appreciate it

ahwell 10-13-19 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Siddon (Post 2041054)
@Destiny and @MrAntlers are both on the verge disqualifications

So

Friday the 13th
Alice Sweet Alice
April Fools Day

Are all on the verge of DQ and I am pissed off about this

If someone would like to do a IPaddress check on MrAntlers I would really appreciate it
Aw come on I better not have watched April Fool's Day for nothing :mad:

ahwell 10-14-19 10:43 AM

Psycho II

Honestly quite a surprise. It's easily the best film I've seen in this Hall of Fame so far. It's definitely no masterpiece, but I'd watch it again. So this film has the unfortunate thing that... well... it's the follow up to possibly the greatest horror movie ever made. First, let me make this clear - in no way, shape, or form is Psycho II anywhere near the original Psycho. The storyline isn't as intricate and fascinating, the acting isn't quite as good (although Anthony Perkins is still damn good in both), and the overall vibe just isn't there.

But Psycho II knows it's not going to be Psycho, and it doesn't need to be in order for it to be an entertaining film. And I was entertained. I liked Norman's ongoing struggle about his mother (and the final reveal of who she is). I wish they would have spent more time on the villain rather than all that fuss with Marion's niece and sister.

And it was nearly two hours... it dragged in a lot of scenes. I found myself constantly checking the clock until the final killings when it ramped up in intensity. Well, anyways, it will likely rank high on my ballot for this Hall of Fame. I wouldn't say I loved it, or even really liked it. But it was worth a watch, and certainly not deserving of it's rotten score on Rotten Tomatoes.

Citizen Rules 10-14-19 12:28 PM

Glad to see someone like Psycho II. Joel reviewed it and gave it a 4.5 so I watched it and thoroughly enjoyed it. I reviewed it and gave it 4. I thought it was neat in that it gives us much more insight into one of the most likeable psychos around, Norman Bates.

Sedai 10-14-19 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by ahwell (Post 2041055)
Aw come on I better not have watched April Fool's Day for nothing :mad:
https://i2.wp.com/bloody-disgusting....size=620%2C350

ahwell 10-14-19 11:18 PM

Peeping Tom

1960 was a good year for psychological horror. Not only was Psycho released but so was this masterpiece, perhaps even more disturbing and introspective (although not as good). Peeping Tom's plot revolves around a serial killer named Mark who really is quite a nice guy. He's shy, often awkward, but can always be kind and courteous. That is, until he gets behind the camera. Some instinctual thing arises from his childhood, and he acts as a true "Peeping Tom," murdering his victims while he films them. He's one of the most sympathetic serial killers in all of film, really. Karl Boehm does a great job playing a troubled soul, and I realized "Wallace and Grommit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit" must have been giving a slight nod (with a wink of course) to Helen with their red-headed and innocent character Lady Tottington. If you haven't seen Were-Rabbit, check it out and you'll know what I'm talking about.

Anyways, I just love this film, it's one of my favorite psychological horrors and probably should have been higher on my list for the countdown. Oh well. It still placed, although I think it should have been in the 10s or 20s rather than the 40s. It's a masterpiece in my opinion.

ahwell 10-14-19 11:19 PM

@Siddon is Destiny DQed? I was going to watch Alice, Sweet, Alice next.

Siddon 10-15-19 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by ahwell (Post 2041422)
@Siddon is Destiny DQed? I was going to watch Alice, Sweet, Alice next.

yes he's out as is Mr Antlers

ahwell 10-16-19 04:40 PM

Inside

Holy bloodbath. Yeah, this movie loves its blood. Blood spurts, blood oozes, blood flows, blood dries... Jesus, they must have used a crap ton of red food coloring for Inside. So this film basically revolves around poor Sarah, who got into an accident with - as we learn at the end - the villain of the movie. The slasher woman is pissed because the crash killed her baby, so she decided why not kill Sarah and take her baby? Make it clean and quick. Nope. This movies spends 80 minutes mutilating literally every character in the film. All but one person dies (and that one person is, of course, the slasher). Sarah gets stabbed, beaten, and absolutely messed up before the filmmakers decided that wasn't enough and they needed to tear out her intestines as well... Anyways, even though the plot is very weak and we get no character depth, I still appreciate this film for the creativity of the layout (most of it follows people running up and down the stairs in a small house), and the camera work. It won't be a favorite, but it's not a bad slasher (although a gruesome one).

cricket 10-16-19 08:21 PM

^^My favorite of this HoF

ahwell 10-18-19 06:45 PM

Teen slashers are beginning to get on my nerve more and more, and this one was no exception. The acting was pretty bad and the storyline was incredibly bland. It's your typical slasher movie, but it was still a blast to watch actually. The final scene of the boat was pretty good... actually, it got better as it went on. I hated the set-up and opening, it was so fake. The people that wrote it obviously have never been high schoolers. It won't rank at the top of my ballot, but it sure as cuss won't rank at the bottom, it was much better than films like April Fool's Day and Slaughter High (Aughh!! Slaughter High *Chills*). I'm trying to think of something to say to make this review longer and more detailed... but I don't really have anything. This movie is kind of a blank slate, nothing good or bad. I'm already forgetting the plot, honestly.

ahwell 10-19-19 08:28 PM

Terrifier

Yet another "meh" one. What I really liked about Terrifier (as TUS touched on in his review) was the clown. The clown was creepy, sometimes kind of funny, and overall gave off a great vibe. But other than that... not too great. I didn't like the acting, it felt really fake. Especially the opening two girls. Oh, and the dialogue (when there even was any) was pretty bad. Some of the kills were fun to watch, and I liked the setting. Most of it was set inside that creepy building, which was great. It gave us a feeling of constantly being closed in and we were never sure who was going to get out alive. I also liked that the protagonists changed throughout. But still, I'm overall getting a very "forgettable" feeling from this movie.

ahwell 10-20-19 02:06 PM

Scream

Scream probably inspired a whole lot of awful teen slashers, so we can blame it for that. But, damn, is it a good movie by itself. We get some of the wittiest dialogue in a horror movie, laugh-out-loud scenes, and actually decent acting for a teen slasher. Scream checks all the right boxes for what makes both a comedy and a slasher great. It's hilarious, it's scary, and it always is such good fun. I feel that I can actually connect to the characters, and everyone in this movie is relatable. I loved the obnoxious reporter woman who turns out to save the day (and get the last laugh). Of course, all the horror movie references are just too good. My gosh, the director of this must LOVE horror movies as much as the killer he created. Psycho quotes, Silence of the Lambs references, Friday the 13th parodies. It's all so great, and I think Scream solidly places as one of my favorite horror movies of all time.

ahwell 10-20-19 02:06 PM

List sent.

ahwell 10-20-19 02:10 PM

I feel like this is my own personal review thread :laugh:, no one else has really started I guess?

Siddon 10-20-19 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by ahwell (Post 2042686)
I feel like this is my own personal review thread :laugh:, no one else has really started I guess?

Yeah well been pulled in a couple different directions on this forum, but this hall really comes down to @cat_sidhe and @jiraffejustin.

Cat said they were going to post reviews this weekend and that they've seen the films it's just the reviews are the issues.

cat_sidhe 10-21-19 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by Siddon (Post 2042695)
Originally Posted by ahwell (Post 2042686)

Yeah well been pulled in a couple different directions on this forum, but this hall really comes down to @cat_sidhe and @jiraffejustin.

Cat said they were going to post reviews this weekend and that they've seen the films it's just the reviews are the issues.
I said I'd post a couple of sentences on A movie, which I didn't have time for. I've seen all the movies bit do NOT have time for reviews. I have a VERY heavy workload and intense stress so I cannot add more pressure. It's probably best to just remove me from the HoF.

Also, I'm also not receiving mentions. Please just use @ and my usename or the tag won't work.

cat_sidhe 10-21-19 04:31 AM

Friday the 13th

Great movie, one of my all time favourites. Love the atmosphere, which is maintains throughout. My only gripe is that the killer reveal is a bit silly and from then till the end it's not as great.

I'll save my ratings till yhe end.

Siddon 10-21-19 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by cat_sidhe (Post 2042807)
I said I'd post a couple of sentences on A movie, which I didn't have time for. I've seen all the movies bit do NOT have time for reviews. I have a VERY heavy workload and intense stress so I cannot add more pressure. It's probably best to just remove me from the HoF.

Also, I'm also not receiving mentions. Please just use @ and my usename or the tag won't work.

You only have to review 9 films...

Psycho II
Terrifier
Scream
I know What you did last Summer
Slaughter High
Inside
Peeping Tom
Prowler
Black Christmas

Why don't write a little something on your two nominated films and then maybe in the next eight weeks you can find the time to write those other seven paragraphs.

TheUsualSuspect 10-22-19 08:56 AM

An iconic film in the horror genre that has inspired countless imitators. Scream is a great flick and probably the one I've seen the most out of the bunch. I'd say it still holds up today, poking fun at the genre, while embracing it. The less said about the sequels the better (I really liked 4 though).

The mask is another iconic aspect of the movie. It's become a Halloween tradition to see at least one kid sporting it on the streets, probably without having ever seen the movie too!!!

TheUsualSuspect 10-24-19 01:45 AM

I was really surprised that this film was as good and thoughtful as it was considering it's a sequel so many years after the original, which is considered a classic by many. I didn't know what to expect, but this film becomes more of a character study than a horror movie. Bates is back home, he is "sane" now. But is he? He keeps hearing his mother again and a strange new woman has entered his life. Is she there for honest reasons, or something more?

Psycho II has a lot of scenes of Bates looking at knives...just pondering what to do with it. The audience is in suspense just watching him look at the blade. It's fun going back to the locations from the previous film. Now we get to see everything in colour. The entire time I kept thinking this actress looks like Jennifer Tilly...then I find out it's her sister...well duh.

The ending with the shovel to the head of his real mother was a bit too much for me and falls into a goofy category that is simply there to set up more films. Up until that point, this movie was a thoughtful look inside the mind of a character trying his best to move on from his horrible past. This is a sequel that is better than it should be and one that many people will obviously overlook.

TheUsualSuspect 10-29-19 08:31 AM

So....is this still a thing?

Siddon 10-29-19 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect (Post 2044429)
So....is this still a thing?

It is, this board has kinda pulled me in a bunch of different directions we'll see what happens with the people that are "busy".

Siddon 10-29-19 08:58 AM

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-KKwurDP_2...ys-killer1.jpg

The Prowler (1981), the Prowler is a movie that starts strong and then tappers off as it progresses. The idea behind the film is that a killer is stalking a party on the anniversary of a killing. Tom Savini does a great job with the FX you've got a great scene with a knife to the back of the head that just sounds so good. But the film loses me a bit with the reveal and the design of the killer...the mask just kinda sucks. The pacing is also a little off with this one.

One of the things I really enjoyed about the film was it's use of space. You get the sense that the prowler is moving around this party. Some slashers you get a feeling of teleportation but I didn't have that with Prowler.

Siddon 10-29-19 09:02 AM

https://images3.static-bluray.com/reviews/16063_1.jpg

Slaughter High(1986) Marty is a classmate who on his birthday is horrificly bullied and scarred for life by a gang of bullies. Years later the bullies return to the High School for a reunion where Marty goes on to pick them off one by one.

I love this movie, the accents are horrible the kids are all in their 30's and the film is incredibly disjointed. But the film has a great atmosphere, the kills are creative the FX work is really well done for the era and several of the scenes are classic.

One of the things that I really enjoyed was how many of the kills were foreshadowed and yet still they were creative. Like a Nightmare on Elmstreet film several characters died were done away with based both on what they liked and how their actions effected Marty.

cat_sidhe 10-30-19 05:54 PM

Inside (2007)

I really like this one. It's simple, well cast and bloody. There's not much by way of plot but it's still tense, and Béatrice Dalle is amazing.

It holds up well with time, too.

jiraffejustin 10-30-19 08:13 PM

Inside (2007)

Before seeing it, I wasn't convinced it was a slasher. I was wrong. We got a mystery on who the killer is, I mean, not who they are, but who they are.... I mean.. we see the killer, but we aren't supposed to know who the killer is. I mean, it's pretty obvious who the killer is. Whatever though, because this movie is tight. It's brutal. It's got a great setting. The design of the house works well for this type of film, with the location of the stairway, hallway, bathroom, and bedroom are tightly squeezed and are made to feel impossible to get through. The gore is all pretty well done too, with the exception of the part where some eyes are missing. I also like the baby-time shots too. A nice touch.

Also, I really like the weapons our killer uses. Scissors and knitting needles. Cool stuff. Mortal Kombat should get her as a DLC character.

Siddon 10-30-19 08:43 PM

https://filmfork-cdn.s3.amazonaws.co..._inline_01.jpg

Psycho II (1983) is one of the best slasher sequels of all time. Released 23 years after the original Norman has been released. He returns home to put his life back together. The film does a number of things most slashers don't do, to start off with it really invests it's time and energy into a mystery. Anthony Perkins is given an opportunity to act (as a man with a difficult grasp on sanity) and I felt like he did a phenomenal job. The film also uses cinematography and an actual score which completely elevates it. Meg Tilly is also very good as the lead female in that she feels natural in the role, it's no surprise she ended up with Oscar nomination two years later.

cat_sidhe 10-31-19 11:55 AM

I'll add some flair to my posts next week (and add more posts) as it'll be slightly less hectic at work than it has been. :)

Siddon 11-01-19 06:28 PM

https://s.yimg.com/uu/api/res/1.2/AD...1-Still002.jpg

I Know What You Did Last Summer (1997)

You know watching this film you could have sworn Harvey Weinstein produced this because man did it look like a bunch Harvey's girls were in this. But no it turns out this wasn't a #Metoo film (for now). Jennifer Love Hewitt dead eyes her way through this slasher while Freddie Prinze Jr emotes like the sad sack we always knew he was. It should surprise anyone that Ryan Phillippe, and Sarah Michelle Gellar steal the show, Phillippe with his Boston douchery (he should have been roid raging) and SMG's chase sequence really was the height of the film. I still didn't care about the killer and I hated the fact that it was "boston" yet the accents were all over the place.

This film also reminded me of a number of things I missed from the nineties...things like crane and helicopter shots, full soundtracks of pop hits, cameos of possible killers (hello Anne Heche). But I didn't care for the killer reveal and this film has some of the worst physics I think I've seen in a horror film.

Siddon 11-02-19 07:31 AM

https://78.media.tumblr.com/801ccc16...j0r4d_1280.jpg

Peeping Tom (1960) well it's certainly a good looking film. Something seems to happen with older film makers we they reach the end of their careers they want to get a little kinky and much like Kubrick's Eyes Wide Shut or Hitchcock's Frenzy this Michael Powell's sexiest film. I wasn't that crazy about this one, the killings felt pretentious and contrived...why the girls can't get away from a guy trying to murder them with a giant camera with a stick on the end seems a bit silly. I also was not a big fan of Mark as a lead he was just too distant and weird for me. But I did enjoy the cinematography I just wish the rest of the film came together for me.

Siddon 11-02-19 09:08 AM

https://is2-ssl.mzstatic.com/image/t.../560x315mv.jpg

Scream (1996) -One of the great things about revisiting a classic after watching a bunch of slashers is seeing what a great film does well. In Scream you get a series of scenes that most slashers don't factor in, you get the police department scene, the calling kids in to question them scene. Having an actual time frame does wonders for the story. The soundtrack is also top notch playing older songs and newer ones (something I know what you did last summer could have learned from). Campell and Cox's chemistry is also powerful as each scene is pure fire.

Siddon 11-03-19 03:43 AM

https://resizing.flixster.com/iOEKMS...DsxOTIwOzEwODA

The Terrifier is a film of unfortunate imbalance. I can understand why this film was chosen, the clown is great clearly inspired by Lon Chaney, The film also does a great job with makeup which is where I think the creators really excelled in. But the thing has three huge problems which are mostly based on budget.

1. The cast is 90% the same age which means the director cast his friends from likely the same acting class.

2. The film mostly takes place in a warehouse and the lighting never really varies. The film has a very basic digital look and most of the horror scenes lose out on a degree of suspense because of it. We are forced as the viewer to know that the filmmaker only had this one setting and the feel the budgetary restraints.

3. The score is particularly bad, playing throughout the entire film it feels almost disconnected from what is happening on screen.

My hope is when they make the sequel they can pull an Evil Dead II and improve upon the films shortcomings the next one won't feel so much like a student film.

cat_sidhe 11-11-19 04:36 AM

Scream (1996)

There's nothing I can say about this movie that hasn't already been said a hundred times. I remember seeing it in the theatres when it came out and feeling nervous going back to my car. It holds up pretty well upon repeated viewings, and I've always thought that mask quite creepy. Good, fun movie.

cat_sidhe 11-20-19 09:17 AM

I Know What You Did Last Summer (1997)

I wasn't much a fan of this movie when it came out. I felt the need to rewatch it, just to see if I still felt the same way...and I do. I don't really find much to like about it. I don't mind the lack of likeable characters as that's never been something I care about. I've been known to like antagonists. There was just nothing in this film to really hold my attention. No gore, no story to write home about, no bite, predictable, and over acting without the charm of unskilled labours of love. It was just...there.

I liked the Type O Negative cover of Summer Breeze in the beginning. :lol:

Wyldesyde19 11-23-19 04:35 AM

Had I joined this site earlier, I’d have gladly joined in on this. Maybe the next one that comes up.
The HOF that you guys do are great because it gives me a chance to see films I might normally never have considered. 🙂

Siddon 11-23-19 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2049005)
Had I joined this site earlier, I’d have gladly joined in on this. Maybe the next one that comes up.
The HOF that you guys do are great because it gives me a chance to see films I might normally never have considered. 🙂

You want to watch the noms and vote?

This is sort of dying

Wyldesyde19 11-23-19 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by Siddon (Post 2049007)
Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2049005)

You want to watch the noms and vote?

This is sort of dying
I wish I could, but I’m doing the comedy one at the moment, and I don’t know if I could juggle both quite yet, considering how many films are involved in both. Sorry 🙁