Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Intermission: Miscellaneous Chat (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Tell us all about your phone (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=30594)

Yoda 01-05-13 04:22 PM

Tell us all about your phone

We might have had a thread for this before, but our phone situations change every couple of years, so let's hear it: what kind of phone do you have? Do you like it? What do you like/dislike about it? What kind do you think you want next? Et cetera.

Until recently I had a Droid Incredible. Best phone I've ever had, first smartphone. Very happy with it. The screen was just 3.5 inches, but I wanted something pretty small. That was just ever so slightly on the small side when I bot it, but screen sizes have increased quite a bit since, so now it seems conspicuously small. But I lost it around Christmas. D'oh.

'Twas a bummer because I was still happy with it, and wasn't planning on upgrading all that soon, even though I qualified for a discounted upgrade back in August. It was saving money to put the upgrade off, obviously, I use it less now that I have an iPad, and I figured that the next generation of phones wasn't leaps and bounds better, so I was going to stick it out for another year. Oh well. I'm mostly just bugged by not being sure how I lost it, with some mild stress about security and changing passwords and the like.

All the reasoning I used to delay upgrading holds up fine, but I will say that the new phone (a Droid Razr M) is pretty snappy; very quick, very responsive. Whether you can credit the better processor, improvements in the Android OS, or both, it's quicker than I'd have expected. Still would've loved to have put everything off, but hey, this specific phone's still almost a year old already, so it just ran me something like $100 even with all the little fees added in.

So, I'll probably pop back in here when I've had the phone longer and can talk more about it. But so far, I'm pretty impressed, even if the improvements over the previous generation are relatively marginal.

How about everyone else?

wintertriangles 01-05-13 04:24 PM

Re: Tell us all about your phone

I have a brick

Sexy Celebrity 01-05-13 04:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Pictures:

http://www.movieforums.com/community...1&d=1357417706
http://www.movieforums.com/community...1&d=1357417704

The Rodent 01-05-13 04:30 PM

Smartphones... ugh... I use Windows Mobile... my current one is a few years old and still going strong. Pretty much everything a laptop can do, this thing does too. Even most modern laptops, including my current laptop, are slower than my Windows phone.
Beats all smartphones and droids, iphones etc etc hands down.

I've tried smartphones but keep going back to this one. Weird thing is that if someone sends something to me from a smartphone, my Windows is able to adjust and change whatever has been sent so it can read it... if I send something from this phone to a smartphone, the smartphone is completely stumped.

gandalf26 01-05-13 04:30 PM

I have quite an old Nokia that I got absolutely free for work, I pay nothing whatsoever and thats just fine by me.

If I really wanted the latest iphone or whatever then I would get it, I prefer to spend my money on gambling and prostitutes.

gandalf26 01-05-13 04:32 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP3ezq7G5E8

Sexy Celebrity 01-05-13 04:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It's new! I got it last weekend to replace my old one:

http://www.movieforums.com/community...1&d=1357418825

will.15 01-05-13 04:58 PM

I don't really care what kind of phones you people have.

The Rodent 01-05-13 05:00 PM

That plastic phone of Sexy's looks like one I bought for my daughter...

... when she was 12 months old.

Sexy Celebrity 01-05-13 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by will.15 (Post 868058)
He's just bitter because he's the reason they made Caller ID in the first place.

Yoda 01-05-13 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by will.15 (Post 868058)
Pretty weird that you'd come into a thread which is clearly all about what kind of phones we have, then.

The Rodent 01-05-13 05:08 PM

I think Will needs a 36 hour ban... 24 hours for Trolling... 12 hours for being Will.

Mysticalunicornfart 01-05-13 05:15 PM

I've got one of them burner phones. The ones you do shady business with, you know?

will.15 01-05-13 05:20 PM

Bragging about the kind of phone you have isn't exciting reading so far.

Yoda 01-05-13 05:36 PM

Then stop reading it.

Nausicaä 01-05-13 05:50 PM

Waa, I have that coloured plastic see through phone, had it for years since I saw it in Scream 2. Someone in Scream 2 had it in their house.

As for my mobile phone, it's from the stone age compared to ones now and if I tried to access the internet on it, it would probably explode.

I've got this and the only reason I went for it at the time was because it's the colour purple... I think I've had it for about 6 years. I'm the type of person who gets a new phone when the one I have no longer works... :modest:

I've got this one:

http://www.cell2get.com/images/opjop...CEPURPLE-1.jpg

I'm very happy with it, it's also got an everchanging background animation depending on the time of year, at the moment it's black and blue since it's night and there are fireflies flying around the screen around a flower and water setting, the water ripples too. :D

I basically don't care about the internet, camera or music playing abilities on phones because I have all of the three separately and superior. If it makes calls and texts, I'm happy.

Miss Vicky 01-05-13 06:09 PM

I refuse to own a cell phone.

I have a good old fashioned land line and an answering machine. I'm a receptionist and spend a large amount of work time on the phone, I don't really want to do the same in my free time.

Sexy Celebrity 01-05-13 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Nausicaä (Post 868074)
Waa, I have that coloured plastic see through phone, had it for years since I saw it in Scream 2. Someone in Scream 2 had it in their house.
... Scream 2 is one of my favorite movies ever and I don't recall it in that movie. Now I'm gonna have to obsessively check.

I actually don't really have that phone, though I did have a phone like it when I was about 10.

Speaking of phones from movies, my ex had the exact same phone Edward Norton uses in Fight Club (the cordless from when he's in his apartment ordering stuff). Since I lived with my ex, I used to use it all the time. Unfortunately it didn't come with Brad Pitt...

The Rodent 01-05-13 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 868105)
... Scream 2 is one of my favorite movies ever and I don't recall it in that movie. Now I'm gonna have to obsessively check.

Asperger's.

Sexy Celebrity 01-05-13 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 868084)

I have a good old fashioned land line and an answering machine. I'm a receptionist and spend a large amount of work time on the phone, I don't really want to do the same in my free time.
Oh, please. You'll get a cell phone some day.

Sexy Celebrity 01-05-13 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by The Rodent (Post 868107)
Asperger's.
You are not wrong, buddy. You are not wrong. That is actually one movie I have probably watched as much as you watch Young Guns.

will.15 01-05-13 07:11 PM

My phone is two cans with a string.

Sexy Celebrity 01-05-13 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by will.15 (Post 868110)
My phone is two cans with a string.
Nebbit?

The Rodent 01-05-13 07:15 PM

You are not wrong, buddy. You are not wrong. That is actually one movie I have probably watched as much as you watch Young Guns.

I doubt that.

Sexy Celebrity 01-05-13 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by The Rodent (Post 868114)
I doubt that.
I did see it three times at the movies. Which, in Rodent viewings, is equal to 27.

The Rodent 01-05-13 07:19 PM

?

Saw Young Guns every day for near 5 years... then once a week for another 10... then prob once a month for the past 5 years.
Been skipping it recently but watched it a couple weeks back, still enjoyed it.

Skepsis93 01-05-13 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by The Rodent (Post 868107)
Asperger's.
You mean OCD?

Sexy Celebrity 01-05-13 07:25 PM

I want to continue this bizarre discussion, but this is a phone thread.

Nausicaä 01-05-13 07:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A small appearance from what I remember, it's the second phone Sarah Michelle Gellar's character picks up when stalked. I got my DVD out and got a frame grab for you. :D

Sexy Celebrity 01-05-13 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Nausicaä (Post 868131)
A small appearance from what I remember, it's the second phone Sarah Michelle Gellar's character picks up when stalked. I got my DVD out and got a frame grab for you. :D
Oh, yeah, you're right!

That's actually not one of my favorite scenes -- the Sarah Michelle Gellar scene.

earlsmoviepicks 01-05-13 10:03 PM

Iphone-- started out with a Droid Eris, but after rooting (jailbreaking) it, had to IT on it too much. Like the Iphone, but hate the Itunes proprietary garbage.

Dastardly_Bastard 01-05-13 10:11 PM

Tell us all about your phone
It makes and receives telephone calls.

Powderfinger 01-05-13 10:12 PM

Galaxy 2

Miss Vicky 01-05-13 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 868108)
Oh, please. You'll get a cell phone some day.
I had a cell phone for awhile. I rarely used it and found it to be more of a nuisance than anything so I got rid of it.
That was 12 years ago.

Powderfinger 01-05-13 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 868157)
I had a cell phone for awhile. I rarely used it and found it to be more of a nuisance than anything so I got rid of it.
That was 12 years ago.
Don't you use it for work or something?

Miss Vicky 01-05-13 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Powderfinger (Post 868159)
Don't you use it for work or something?
Why the hell would a receptionist use a cell phone for work?

Brodinski 01-06-13 07:23 AM

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 from work. Nice phone. Very smooth. Crap battery life though, but I haven't been satisfied with the battery of a smartphone ever since the Qtek 9100 some 7 years ago now.

Sexy Celebrity 01-06-13 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 868168)
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mb...jn8co1_400.gif

Powderfinger 01-06-13 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 868168)
Okay...Vicky. Are you a nice receptionist? Or one of those bi*chy ones? lol! :D

Sexy Celebrity 01-06-13 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Powderfinger (Post 868293)
Okay...Vicky. Are you a nice receptionist? Or one of those bi*chy ones? lol! :D
In my experience, receptionists are usually the nicest people in the office. Only in something like Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter's Dead is the receptionist super bitchy and conniving.

http://www.agentlover.com/blog/wp-co...2/04/dtm15.jpg
"Hold."

Yoda 01-06-13 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Brodinski (Post 868289)
I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 from work. Nice phone. Very smooth. Crap battery life though, but I haven't been satisfied with the battery of a smartphone ever since the Qtek 9100 some 7 years ago now.
Yeah, reviews are very strong on that one. CNET actually rated it the #1 phone, ahead of the iPhone 5.

Unrelated: anyone else here use Swype as a replacement keyboard? I just installed it on the new phone (had it on the old one, too), and it still feels like the future of touch screen typing.

earlsmoviepicks 01-07-13 11:44 AM

Andrew Dice Clay nailed the phone thing here

Warning-- Not safe for work or the kiddies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOIjXw41pvI

John McClane 01-07-22 12:53 PM

Digging this thread up because I gotta replace my Nokia 3310 3G because of the network shutdown.

I have been agonizing over what I was going to replace it with because there are not a lot of good options in the feature phone department, and I really don't want to have to buy several devices just to find the right one.

I was considering the LG Classic Flip but it runs an outdated version of AOSP, so that's off the table. I had also considered the Nokia 225 because it doesn't have any GPS or other sensor data and runs S30+, but now I am thinking I might wait for the Nokia 2760 Flip 4G. I ain't thrilled about it running KaiOS, but there ain't much in the way of secure feature phones these days. And at this point its more about the form factor than the feature set.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/1/5/22...ase-date-price

If I felt more daring I'd buy one of those Punkt devices or a LightPhone but those things are WAYY too expensive for what they do and are built upon outdated Android builds. :facepalm:

CringeFest 01-07-22 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 868084)

a call out to miss vicky:

about 9 years have passed since this was posted, Sexy Celebrity (..that sexy celebrity) has said "you will get a phone one day"...well, did you get succumb to the trend vicky? Just curious, no shame either way, I guess you're pretty tough if you haven't though.

I've had the same smartphone for 5 years years now, the samsung galaxy s7. I have no intention of getting another one unless this one stops working. Got plenty of space for music and apps, over the next couple days i'm gonna switch my cell phone service cuz my current provider just doesn't cut it. Luckily, at&t still accepts the s7.

Torgo 01-07-22 01:43 PM

It's funny that this thread was bumped because I came across this old ad from 1989 today. How far we've come:

https://i.imgur.com/8nHWcgY.jpeg

Did anyone own one of these bricks?

Stirchley 01-07-22 02:25 PM

@Yoda, did you ever find your Droid Incredible? :p

Yoda 01-07-22 02:27 PM

I honestly don't even remember.

Anyway, I moved to a Pixel 2 XL years ago, and upgraded to another Pixel (4a 5G) a year (I think?) ago, and have loved them both. Pixels are great and the latest models are very very affordable relative to other high-end phones. I'll very likely get another later this year or early next.

Citizen Rules 01-07-22 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Torgo (Post 2269931)
It's funny that this thread was bumped because I came across this old ad from 1989 today. How far we've come:

https://i.imgur.com/8nHWcgY.jpeg

Did anyone own one of these bricks?
When I first met my wife (well not my wife back then) she had something very similar from around the same time...The phone was in a padded case that must have weighed 5 pounds and sat on the floor...but wow could that phone call without any noise or signal loss...and it could fry eggs while you talked!

Torgo 01-07-22 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2269979)
When I first met my wife (well not my wife back then) she had something very similar from around the same time...The phone was in a padded case that must have weighed 5 pounds and sat on the floor...but wow could that phone call without any noise or signal loss...and it could fry eggs while you talked!
I've heard that they generated a lot of heat, and maybe it's just an urban legend, that they also caused tumors. Hopefully, only the former happened and not the latter.

Citizen Rules 01-07-22 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Torgo (Post 2269990)
I've heard that they generated a lot of heat, and maybe it's just an urban legend, that they also caused tumors. Hopefully, only the former happened and not the latter.
:eek: Luckily in the 10 years that she owned that phone, she only used it once to call me when her tire blew out on the freeway...I went to rescue her. I probably tried the phone a couple of times myself but only for a minute or so. Back then the idea was for emergency use only.

Miss Vicky 01-07-22 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by CringeFest (Post 2269928)
a call out to miss vicky:

about 9 years have passed since this was posted, Sexy Celebrity (..that sexy celebrity) has said "you will get a phone one day"...well, did you get succumb to the trend vicky? Just curious, no shame either way, I guess you're pretty tough if you haven't though.
:nope:

Don't need one, don't want one, and don't want the expense. I work full time and almost never travel alone. If someone needs to reach me, they can call me at home or at work. If I'm traveling, then I'm with someone who has a cell phone and I can make or receive calls with their phone if I really need to. I have an iPod Touch (yes, they still exist) and an iPad and use Facebook messenger and Apple messenger to text people on them when I have access to wifi, which is most of the time. I also occasionally Facetime people.

CringeFest 01-07-22 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 2270004)
:nope:

Don't need one, don't want one, and don't want the expense. I work full time and almost never travel alone. If someone needs to reach me, they can call me at home or at work. If I'm traveling, then I'm with someone who has a cell phone and I can make or receive calls with their phone if I really need to. I have an iPod Touch (yes, they still exist) and an iPad and use Facebook messenger and Apple messenger to text people on them when I have access to wifi, which is most of the time. I also occasionally Facetime people.

You are my hero! Unfortunately the only type of internet I have around here is mobile internet, so I gotta have a different approach. I've fantasized about not having internet so many times...

Citizen Rules 01-07-22 03:23 PM

Count me as a non-mobile phone owner. I have a landline and that's good enough. It's not like I want to talk to anyone anyway.:p

Stirchley 01-07-22 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2270014)
Count me as a non-mobile phone owner. I have a landline and that's good enough. It's not like I want to talk to anyone anyway.:p
I have a land line too. And a $12 cell phone for emergency use only. (If land line goes down our alarm system goes down too. So cell phone necessary to call Frontier repair.)

Cell phone rings all the time. Never given the number to anyone so no clue who is calling & I never answer.

John McClane 01-07-22 04:54 PM

The first cell phone that we had as a family (it was my mom's) was the Nokia 5110. My dad had the business model that came out the year before, and he was specifically told to never use it. We'd have to page him and he'd find a payphone. I miss those days. I hate being reachable 24/7.

I have a work provided iPhone, and I love it and hate it. I have a serious phone addiction from my BlackBerry days and Apple just made it worse.

Sedai 01-07-22 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by CringeFest (Post 2269928)
I've had the same smartphone for 5 years years now, the samsung galaxy s7. I have no intention of getting another one unless this one stops working. Got plenty of space for music and apps, over the next couple days i'm gonna switch my cell phone service cuz my current provider just doesn't cut it. Luckily, at&t still accepts the s7.
You don't say? ;)

Up until a few months ago, my wife and I had this same viewpoint. I had an S6 and she was with the S7. Both our phones worked perfectly, and we were happy to stick with them until one or both of them broke.

In late August, we went on vacation, taking a road trip up to North Conway, NH, where we rented a little cabin for a week. About 3 nights in, all of a sudden, my wife's phone would no longer connect to the AT&T network. My S6 was still working fine. Thinking it was some oddity related to us being up in the mountains and sort of isolated, we just sort of ignored it until we went home. I did trey to reboot the phone etc. and al the usual nonsense to get it back on the network, btw.

When we got back to our house, the thing still wouldn't come up. I called tech support, and after about an hour on the phone with this person, they were stumped, so they asked me to head to the AT&T store to get a new SIM. I live right near a store, so I popped over and got a new SIM for the phone, It came right up and I went back home and gave the phone back to my wife. 10 minutes later, it started giving us the same problem, and wouldn't connect with the network.

Back on the phone with tech support, this time escalating the call to their alleged "special advanced tech support," who eventually told me "Hmm, for some reason, this phone's ID# has been added to our unsupported devices list. It's because it is a 3G device."

S7s are not 3G. Says so right on the box, and hey, my S6 is still working, yea? No matter. Because it had been added to the list, by AT&T, it could never be removed, and we had to get a new phone. Sounded like a load of **** to me, and an effort to get me to buy more phones. I told them to stick it, and said I was going to Verizon.

Went to Verizon, but they claimed there was a phone shortage, and that all they had were either the newest flagship Android, or the newest flagship iPhone, both of which were too expensive for my cheap ass. Other than that, here's a waiting list, and we can call you when something else is available, which could be a week or a month. Call me? My phone is broken and I told AT&T to kiss my ass, so my other phone will soon be shut off.

Back to AT&T, thank you sir, may I have another, gimme some new phones. At least they had decently priced previous gen S20s for us.

Signed,

Some poor sap.

John McClane 01-07-22 05:33 PM

@Sedai: The S6 has VoLTE enabled by default, but the S7 requires it to be turned on. Have you checked the settings to make sure that setting is on? I don't know if it'll resolve your problem, but if it was turned off it might have flagged itself in their system because it was off when it started "roaming".

I really wish 3G wasn't being turned off but all carriers are forcing users to buy VoLTE phones, and I am extremely pissed about the lack of options because of it.

Sedai 01-07-22 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by John McClane (Post 2270059)
@Sedai: The S6 has VoLTE enabled by default, but the S7 requires it to be turned on. Have you checked the settings to make sure that setting is on? I don't know if it'll resolve your problem, but if it was turned off it might have flagged itself in their system because it was off when it started "roaming".

I really wish 3G wasn't being turned off but all carriers are forcing users to buy VoLTE phones, and I am extremely pissed about the lack of options because of it.
That was the first thing they had us check on the first tech call, and it was on. Eventually, they told us the device had been added to the unsupported list by accident as they were dumping giant groups of alleged 3G phones over to unsupported in prep for their big network conversion to 5G. They knew what the problem was, but said they couldn't take it off the list once added, as the system wouldn't let them. I said they were the humans, and should be able to tell the system what to do, but they either didn't care, didn't want to take the time to do it, or were indeed just trying to force an upgrade. It got to the point where I was sick of wasting time on it.

The thing was, the speaker (to listen to calls, not the music speaker) in the phone was sort of going to **** anyway, so she kind of needed an upgrade anyway. At least, that is what i tell myself now! ;)

CringeFest 01-07-22 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by John McClane (Post 2270059)

Yeah, not everyone can afford to buy a $1000 phone...I would recommend one of those cheap carriers but I would cheap services

CringeFest 01-07-22 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Sedai (Post 2270053)
You don't say? ;)

Up until a few months ago, my wife and I had this same viewpoint. I had an S6 and she was with the S7. Both our phones worked perfectly, and we were happy to stick with them until one or both of them broke.

In late August, we went on vacation, taking a road trip up to North Conway, NH, where we rented a little cabin for a week. About 3 nights in, all of a sudden, my wife's phone would no longer connect to the AT&T network. My S6 was still working fine. Thinking it was some oddity related to us being up in the mountains and sort of isolated, we just sort of ignored it until we went home. I did trey to reboot the phone etc. and al the usual nonsense to get it back on the network, btw.

When we got back to our house, the thing still wouldn't come up. I called tech support, and after about an hour on the phone with this person, they were stumped, so they asked me to head to the AT&T store to get a new SIM. I live right near a store, so I popped over and got a new SIM for the phone, It came right up and I went back home and gave the phone back to my wife. 10 minutes later, it started giving us the same problem, and wouldn't connect with the network.

Back on the phone with tech support, this time escalating the call to their alleged "special advanced tech support," who eventually told me "Hmm, for some reason, this phone's ID# has been added to our unsupported devices list. It's because it is a 3G device."

S7s are not 3G. Says so right on the box, and hey, my S6 is still working, yea? No matter. Because it had been added to the list, by AT&T, it could never be removed, and we had to get a new phone. Sounded like a load of **** to me, and an effort to get me to buy more phones. I told them to stick it, and said I was going to Verizon.

Went to Verizon, but they claimed there was a phone shortage, and that all they had were either the newest flagship Android, or the newest flagship iPhone, both of which were too expensive for my cheap ass. Other than that, here's a waiting list, and we can call you when something else is available, which could be a week or a month. Call me? My phone is broken and I told AT&T to kiss my ass, so my other phone will soon be shut off.

Back to AT&T, thank you sir, may I have another, gimme some new phones. At least they had decently priced previous gen S20s for us.

Signed,

Some poor sap.

I basically have just had to reset my phone to keep it working

FromBeyond 01-07-22 05:58 PM

I got an iPhone 5 ... I think.. I’ve had it a looong time. I hate it. I went to get away from apple, I’m sick of them sending me news I can’t read. My screen is a cobweb of cracks from when I missed at easy putt on golf clash. Now my phone is telling me I need a new phone iOS 13.0 or above to play some games. I hate phones and when they beep, I even get irritated when other peoples phones beep, it sparks of some anxiety in me of people wanting things.

Citizen Rules 01-07-22 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by FromBeyond (Post 2270066)
I got an iPhone 5 ... I think.. I’ve had it a looong time. I hate it. I went to get away from apple, I’m sick of them sending me news I can’t read. My screen is a cobweb of cracks from when I missed at easy putt on golf clash. Now my phone is telling me I need a new phone iOS 13.0 or above to play some games. I hate phones and when they beep, I even get irritated when other peoples phones beep, it sparks of some anxiety in me of people wanting things.
I'm no fan of iPhones or Apple products, not after they initially announced that they were going to include an onboard scanner that would look through images stored on Apple devices to find child abuse material. Android and others do this BUT on their servers, not on your devices. To date Apple hasn't launched their onboard CSAM scanner but they haven't given up on the idea either.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/12/15/...-removal-delay

GulfportDoc 01-07-22 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2270072)
I'm no fan of iPhones or Apple products, not after they initially announced that they were going to include an onboard scanner that would look through images stored on Apple devices to find child abuse material. Android and others do this BUT on their servers, not on your devices. To date Apple hasn't launched their onboard CSAM scanner but they haven't given up on the idea either.
It's stunning to me that people put up with this Big Brother stuff. Scanning for allegedly only CSAM material will gradually increase until they're scanning your phone for "offensive material" judged by ...... them.

Citizen Rules 01-07-22 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by GulfportDoc (Post 2270085)
It's stunning to me that people put up with this Big Brother stuff. Scanning for allegedly only CSAM material will gradually increase until they're scanning your phone for "offensive material" judged by ...... them.
That was one of the specific reasons the Electronic Frontier Foundation and other organizations so vehemently fought this CSAM scanner on Apple devices....Once the scanner is in place on Apple phones/tablets/computers governments that don't respect freedom of speech like China and India would have the means to easily change a flag setting in the search for child abuse photos and then they could search for anything they want, including anti government dissident images and messages. The same could be done in the U.S. by law enforcement agencies.

Apple's decision to have a CSAM scanner might be the result of their refusal to give the FBI in 2016 the code to unlock a phone tied to one of the shooters in the San Bernardino attack. At the time Apple refused the FBI's request claiming they were protecting civil liberties and ensuring their users information remained encrypted. Also Apple has been promising end to end encryption to their iCloud servers....So the CSAM scanner under the guise of 'protect the children' allows Apple to be two-faced, they can claim they offer full encryption on their devices but build a back door for any government agency to scan their devices.

I read about this initially at Mac Rumors

John McClane 01-07-22 09:02 PM

The big problem with VoLTE is that it is rendering a whole slew of phones as obsolete in the name of progress. Not every 4G phone can do VoLTE, so a phone from a couple years ago that was marketed as 4G is rendered useless because there was zero standards or plans about how cellular services were going to progress. And the 5G roll out has muddied the water even more. What’s even worse is that the “free market” is not free because there are only 3 choices: Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile. Smaller carriers rent their coverage from those 3, so they set policy and if you don’t like it too bad (i.e. @Sedai’s experience). And none offer a solution that doesn’t involve buying a new phone/upgrading to a more expensive plan.

Re CSAM: Really not interested in getting into that can of worms, but I hate to be the one to tell y’all the top is already off it. It’s gonna happen sooner than later.

Once end users started freely giving their biometric data to companies it was all over. The dystopian societies we fear from fiction WILL be a reality one day.

CringeFest 01-08-22 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by John McClane (Post 2270118)
The big problem with VoLTE is that it is rendering a whole slew of phones as obsolete in the name of progress. Not every 4G phone can do VoLTE, so a phone from a couple years ago that was marketed as 4G is rendered useless because there was zero standards or plans about how cellular services were going to progress. And the 5G roll out has muddied the water even more. What’s even worse is that the “free market” is not free because there are only 3 choices: Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile. Smaller carriers rent their coverage from those 3, so they set policy and if you don’t like it too bad (i.e. @Sedai’s experience). And none offer a solution that doesn’t involve buying a new phone/upgrading to a more expensive plan.

Re CSAM: Really not interested in getting into that can of worms, but I hate to be the one to tell y’all the top is already off it. It’s gonna happen sooner than later.

Once end users started freely giving their biometric data to companies it was all over. The dystopian societies we fear from fiction WILL be a reality one day.

Apparently 5G is great...if you live in a metropolitan area. People talk about how fast it is but the transmission technology is only a small part of what makes internet speeds fast.

GulfportDoc 01-08-22 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2270104)
That was one of the specific reasons the Electronic Frontier Foundation and other organizations so vehemently fought this CSAM scanner on Apple devices....Once the scanner is in place on Apple phones/tablets/computers governments that don't respect freedom of speech like China and India would have the means to easily change a flag setting in the search for child abuse photos and then they could search for anything they want, including anti government dissident images and messages. The same could be done in the U.S. by law enforcement agencies.

Apple's decision to have a CSAM scanner might be the result of their refusal to give the FBI in 2016 the code to unlock a phone tied to one of the shooters in the San Bernardino attack. At the time Apple refused the FBI's request claiming they were protecting civil liberties and ensuring their users information remained encrypted. Also Apple has been promising end to end encryption to their iCloud servers....So the CSAM scanner under the guise of 'protect the children' allows Apple to be two-faced, they can claim they offer full encryption on their devices but build a back door for any government agency to scan their devices.

I read about this initially at Mac Rumors
The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) does great work. Too bad they don't have more clout.

Apple's touted refusal to give code to the Fed IMO was an early example of liberty virtue signalling. Big tech doesn't bother with any of that these days. Big Corp. and Big Tech obviously collude with the federal government to the detriment of the public. We're pretty much living now in a corporatist oligarchy.

Nausicaä 01-08-22 02:02 PM

I still have the phone I mentioned on page 1, it's starting to cut out on phone calls downstairs but fine upstairs and the camera doesn't work on it now but calls and texts still working... :rotfl:

Someone offered to buy me a new smartphone last week but I politely refused.

https://c.tenor.com/eR0eEQwJMngAAAAM/old-cell.gif://

John McClane 01-08-22 03:12 PM

I’ve also considered getting one of those Mennonite cell phones:*Sunbeam

But it’s a little steep for something that may not get long term support. I got my eye out on eBay for a used one, though.

One thing I really wish was still around is Google’s text to search feature. That was easily my favorite service in college when I rocked this POS:

https://s-yimg-com.cdn.ampproject.or...315_mc_001.jpg

cricket 01-08-22 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by earlsmoviepicks (Post 868636)
Andrew Dice Clay nailed the phone thing here

Warning-- Not safe for work or the kiddies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOIjXw41pvI
Can't believe I've never seen this.

CringeFest 01-08-22 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by John McClane (Post 2270332)
I’ve also considered getting one of those Mennonite cell phones:*Sunbeam

But it’s a little steep for something that may not get long term support. I got my eye out on eBay for a used one, though.

One thing I really wish was still around is Google’s text to search feature. That was easily my favorite service in college when I rocked this POS:

https://s-yimg-com.cdn.ampproject.or...315_mc_001.jpg

lol...mennonites...

i was having similar thoughts, thinking about getting a coolpad snap and going for the $15 a month plan...but...the internet.

CringeFest 01-18-22 08:10 PM

I got a samsung galaxy s20 FE 5G the other day because I needed to switch providers in order to satisfy my movie desires. Unfortunately, nobody supports the S7 anymore which still works just fine. I use chromecast to stream stuff and so far have watched The Contract and the beginning of Good Burger (may be bad/stupid but it is pretty funny and is part of you tubes free movies!).

I was under the impression that the hotspot i got with the new plan was going to be a problem, as a phone cannot connect to its hotspot, i was using the S7 to stream because I thought the chromecast and phone had to share the wifi network. However, I found that I can just broadcast to chromecast from the newphone, glad that works!

I really find the idea of spending $799 for an S21 to be revolting and i wouldn't have switched, but the guy said he could sell me the S20 for about $350 so which is less than payed for the S7 about 6 years ago now.

Ebay sucks for buying phones, don't do it unless your looking to get something used and ultra cheap.

ynwtf 01-20-22 08:39 PM

I swear I had replied to this! So weird.

Anyway. I currently have a OnePlus 8T and I kinda hate it. I've had it mmmmmaybe half a year now? I can't remember. I got this because it was the wider of the phones I could get access to and I really hate these narrowing designs. I think anamorphic widescreen view is about as narrow the bodies need to be. These current taller, but thinner screens kind of irritate me. I struggle enough handling my phone with one hand. Those 1/4"+ inch higher screens are too far for my thumb to reach. If standards go to these half-assed folded screen phones then I think I'm done.

So yeah. That and I liked the interface. The specs seems great, and the screen looked crisp but it was the wider format that pushed me over.

Soon after purchase, I realized there was no 1/8" headphone jack. That's not a big deal as I use a BT headset, but I like to have the wired option for when I'm doing mucky things outdoors and don't want to filth up or destroy the BT earbud headset. I felt I had already compromised enough having no option for a user-removeable battery! I was coming from the LG line G-something, so I could replace those myself. No longer. Oh, and this phone isn't water proof. I'm not sure it's even water resistant!

After a few weeks from purchase I began to really not like it. The power and volume buttons are sharp and clunky. Other phones have a rounded bevel feel or are shallow, if not somewhat recessed from the side of the phone. Yout finger's edge can smoothly glide from one to another. However you want to describe them, they are gentle and smooth. This OnePlus has buttons that protrude out into space, have no bevel of any kind actually hurting my delicate side fingers, and the volume control has a dedicated physical 3-way sliding switch for 1) no sound/vibration, 2) no sound/with vibration, and 3) full sound and vibration. That thing feels like it was designed in 1980's Soviet Union. As an additional inconvenience, the actual volume controls only turn the volume to zero. At that point you still get full volume vibrations and audible notifications. It's as if the volume only affects music/streaming/media. Not notifications though. My older LG would have one extra bump down on the volume slider that would place the phone completely into silent mode. If I need to completely silence my phone now, I have to push up that prickly side toggle, which is darn near impossible one-handed as it is such a stiff switch. On top of that, it's so stiff that applying the pressure needed to just move the thing can sometimes force it to skip position 2 and leap right into 1 or 3, depending on what direction you're move it. All the while carving up your fingers like a newb guitar player desperately trying to learn scales on a tightly wound acoustic.

Music sounds fine. I did pick up on audible details that I could not with my older LG, so that was nice; however, if I'm listening to music via my BT headset and someone calls? There is a half second glitch of static as the phone switches from Spotify to the ring tone. The static is full volume every time regardless of whatever volume the phone or headset is set to. For those of you that don't follow Chyp's month music countdowns, then you should know I listen to Bowie. At lot. Like near 8 hours a day. And I get a lot of spam telemarketers calling up to tell me my car warranty is about to expire. I'm going deaf.

The physical screen seems weak too. Granted that's going to be a chance encounter, but this isn't my first phone. It is, however, my first cracked screen. While reading this for basic edits, I am reminded that I discovered a deadzone on the touch screen soon in! The top edge from nearly one half of an inch is just nonresponsive. I had forgotten about that because I discovered it while playing a game that happened to have menu options there. I would have to flip the phone so that I could click whatever, then flip it back just so that I could tap the "X" button to close whatever menu screen I had just opened. Google showed that there were several users with the same problem. I thought to return it, but knew I would only get a refurbished model for the price I paid for a fully functional new one. Yeah, don't get me started on that. I don't play games now on the phone, so I haven't really noticed this since. I can still swipe down for app window access, so maybe it was fixed on an update. Or the deadzone was closer to the corner. It's been a while.

The camera is nothing to write home about. It's not bad and does what it needs but good luck if the light is low at all.

Oh, and I did mention liking the interface. After a bit of use, I find the text too difficult to read at times. Especially on the default alarm app. The text and nav buttons are just so small. They look great! As a designer, I can respect the concept but, as far as practicality goes, they're kind of hard to use unless you're 32 or younger. Swiping toggles on or off often open context screens because my finger tips are just too larger to contact those tiny buttons. And I think I have relatively small hands.

The first month gave me constant time sync issues where texts that I sent before another text came in were constantly rearranged out of order, so it was a trial trying to track back a conversation that wasn't in real time. Even real time conversations were difficult as both incoming and outgoing texts continually jumped over and around each other. Two updates later that was resolved.

I also had early issues with connections. If my signal showed four bars of 4G, the moment I dialed a number and connected to a network, it would consistently drop to two bars of 2G. I constantly had to call people back as the audio quality was randomly horrible. That seems to be better now, months later, but it was such a frustration and disappointment for months. I still have issues when switching from wifi to mobile carrier networks. The phone take 2-3 seconds to switch over. If I try to make a call after swiping off wifi, I always get that "You must connect to a mobile carrier network to complete your call" or whatever the default is. That's still happening.

I don't like the keyboard. I'm not sure if it's me or what, but I never had this issue with past phones. It's almost as if the hotspot for each keyboard key is 1/8" offset. I am constantly tapping "C" or "V" when reaching for the spacebar. Autocorrect doesn't help because it seems to only look for words that start with "C" or "V" when this happens, so I'm manually having to backspace to nix the one letter error. There are adjustments that can be made to change the row height and total keyboard height, but nothing seems to fix this. My guess, I'm used to a keyboard where the gaps between rows are less than what this provides. With the added space, now, my muscle memory keeps tapping where my spacebar used to be. I don't know, but I hate it. The keyboard. I guess the phone too.

So wider screen? Yes, please. Everything else? I'd burn their home office down if I had the time to. The phone was not worth the price. Half of that that would have been reasonable. I would have probably picked it up anyway at such a price, knowing what I know now. But for what I paid I am terribly disappointing and will never buy another OnePlus.

yn = anger issues.

doubledenim 01-20-22 10:25 PM

Never heard of OnePlus until that, had to do a little research. As a fan of non-fiction, that post was one of the better reads I’ve had in a while.

I’m guessing you need a phone for more than text machine and aminal videos? Then again, reading those stats on the website, I don’t know how it compares.

I only had one note for you. Next time, try and be a little more specific. Felt like you left out some detail 😏

ynwtf 01-20-22 10:38 PM

Ha. Smart ass. Yeah, after posting I was like holy monkey butts, batman! That was a friggin novel. That you actually read it earns you galactic level respect...

John McClane 01-21-22 02:26 AM

OnePlus runs custom mods that are bleeding edge at times. They can be nothing but nightmares. Then again, Apple ain’t much different so what are ya to do?

:shrug:

This is why I miss dumb phones. I just want the thing to always work. Not make me a raging button smasher.

doubledenim 01-21-22 05:01 AM

Now that I’m getting their ads on everything, I might be in the market.

John McClane 02-18-22 06:58 PM

Tracfone finally gave me a phone choice I can live with till the new Nokia devices hit the market.

It’s the Orbic Journey V. Runs off Verizon’s network, so I should get excellent coverage. I hope. At least it was free.

gbgoodies 02-19-22 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by John McClane (Post 2283388)

Tracfone finally gave me a phone choice I can live with till the new Nokia devices hit the market.

It’s the Orbic Journey V. Runs off Verizon’s network, so I should get excellent coverage. I hope. At least it was free.

We tried getting my in-laws a simple flip phone like that, but Verizon only had two options.

One was some off-brand that we had never heard of, but it was cheap, so we tried it, but it was so bad that we returned it within a few days.

The other one is a Samsung, but it was about $100 more than the first one. We bought them the Samsung, and it's not great, but at least they're able to use it. (They're both elderly and not good with technology, plus my father-in-law loves randomly pushing buttons and playing with settings that he knows nothing about, so it's hard to find a phone that they can use without causing problems.)

matt72582 02-20-22 03:13 PM

I have the same 14-yr old flip phone. When someone sends me a smiley face, it can't process, and I get a black and white square. Pretty soon, I'll have to teach it to drive.. Like a swimmer, I'll just throw the phone out of the car and see if it can survive.

I only pay $9.95/month.. No internet, no camera, just a phone. I don't like to spend money on anything except an experience, and COVID has limited my work, although yesterday by accident, I was chatting in a public place, and after hearing some of my music, the fella bought 4 of my CDs, and 2 of my books. I paid my utility bill immediately.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/bwcAA...dm/s-l1600.jpg

Stirchley 02-21-22 01:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I’ve had this $12 flip-phone forever. As long as I plug in $20 each quarter, it stays with me. I’m not a phone person, but I need a 2nd phone in case our land line goes down & takes our alarm system with it.

For at least a year I wasn’t billed at all for this flip-phone, but then Boost discovered me & now I’m paying again. Useful for receiving a text message & for emergencies, but that’s all.

mrblond 02-23-22 03:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My smartphone biography.

I bought the Windows based Nokia Lumia 520 in 2014 (black panel). I've loved it...stylish etc. though at some point, I've started feeling its limited technical options offered by the newest phones.
In the mid 2020 it suddenly stopped working for some unknown reason after six years of good service.
So, then I got the Android based Nokia 2.3 (blue-greenish panel). Wow, it turned to be a superb device, I love it. Beautiful, strong battery, just everything one can need. I can listen online music (Spotify) on the beach for many hours, take good pictures etc.

on the left Lumia 520, on the right the greenish one is Nokia 2.3:

KinkyFest 03-24-22 01:31 PM

This came of no surprise to me, but ATT actually lied about how much they were going to charge me for my cell phone PLAN, to the tune $30 fu*king dollars.

John McClane 12-19-23 02:37 PM

I am so glad work pays for my smartphone. No way I’d pay for this trash myself!

Citizen Rules 12-19-23 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2270014)
I still don't own a mobile phone myself, but my wife got one just in case we need to make a call.

We did it on the 'cheap'. I bought a used Google Pixel 4a that was mint condition for $100 off ebay. Then signed up for cheap phone service $8 a month, with unlimited calling and texting in 55 countries but only 2 GB of internet. We have computers so I don't need the phone for the internet....Oh I deleted Android off the phone, rooted it and installed GrapheneOS for maximum privacy & security. Doesn't get much cheaper, private and secure than that.

Miss Vicky 12-19-23 06:46 PM

I recently was given a second hand iPhone 7, mostly to replace my iPod Touch that died a few months back. I'm currently using a Motorola smart phone of some sort and am waiting on a SIM card for the iPhone so I can switch the service over. I hardly ever call or text anyone and I don't use my phone to go online or play games, so the iPhone will mostly be used for listening to music.

My employer doesn't know that I have a cell phone of any kind. I still have a landline and that's the number I've given to my work. I love being unreachable when I want to be.

Stirchley 12-20-23 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 2428479)
My employer doesn't know that I have a cell phone of any kind. I still have a landline and that's the number I've given to my work. I love being unreachable when I want to be.
This is how it should be. One’s boss should not be calling an employee out of working hours. An article in the Times recently was about freelance workers being called 24/7. Their position was we are freelance, but that doesn’t mean you can call us at all hours.

This is one of the problems these days. Employees don’t get enough rest.

doubledenim 12-20-23 06:50 PM

Guess I’m having a midlife crisis, I decided to remove my screen protector (film).

One of the worst choices of my life. I’m consumed by smudge.

Mesmerized 12-23-23 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 2428589)
One’s boss should not be calling an employee out of working hours.
Unless it is to tell the employee he's fired.

Mesmerized 12-23-23 12:55 PM

Mine is the Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra.

Stirchley 12-25-23 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mesmerized (Post 2429187)
Unless it is to tell the employee he's fired.
That would be horrible.

FromBeyond 12-30-23 02:43 AM

I lost my iPhone earlier this year, I bought this Motorola and it's too big, it's just too damn long, I don't know what I was thinking.

laxel 01-04-24 06:09 AM

I still haven't tried the Apple phones. But I'm pleased with my Samsung. It works well, has all the needed options, a quality camera, etc. I ordered a power bank and additional charger, so I now feel more comfortable when traveling, especially if I need to work remotely.

Who knows, maybe one day I'll change my mind, but now I'm happy with Android.

Prieneus 01-04-24 07:32 AM

Bought the cheapest decent new model smartphone I could find. Rarely do I use smartphones, and for the internet, almost never. Yet, once or twice a year, it can be useful.

ActionRocks 01-15-24 09:07 PM

Motorola G 14.

I was hoping for Windows Phone 7 until I released those are out of stock.

WrinkledMind 01-16-24 06:40 AM

A cheap Redmi Prime 9. It cost me 8K Ruppees which is 96 US dollars.

I have been using it for 3 years now. Have even accidentally smashed the screen once and got it replaced.

Has a rubbish camera, which I don't care about since I don't like taking pics.
The performance for games like Pubg at low settings is good.

Unless it shuts down, I don't intend to spend any money to buy a new one, even though this is an old series (Currently the 13 series has been launched).

This is only my third phone. I was late to using mobile phones, as I hated the idea of being accessible to everyone anytime. It was only when I was forced by my office to use one, I bought one.

My first was a Nokia X2-01, a cheap copy of Blackberry and the next was Redmi 4A.

Act III 01-30-24 01:07 AM

I own my phone, my phone doesnt own me.

Citizen Rules 01-30-24 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Act III (Post 2436091)
I own my phone, my phone doesnt own me.
Interesting...What do you mean by that?

Sedai 01-30-24 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2436171)
Interesting...What do you mean by that?
Just venturing a guess, I would think he means he isn't on the thing constantly, like in the car or at a restaurant, etc..

I was never one to be always on my phone, but the amount of times I would sort of start to reach for it at random times for really no reason had me thinking that phones can make people fidgety and unfocused. So nowadays I either leave my phone in a different room, sort of ignoring it, or I keep it in my GoDark bag, which takes it off the grid completely, and puts an extra, sort of annoying step in to access it. I have to unstrap the bag, get the thing out, wait for it to reconnect to the grid etc. This has the affect of me just ignoring it completely. As a bonus, it can't listen to me/my conversations.

https://www.satellitephonestore.com/...3792-7036.webp

Citizen Rules 01-30-24 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Sedai (Post 2436188)
Just venturing a guess, I would think he means he isn't on the thing constantly, like in the car or at a restaurant, etc..
Yeah, you're probably right...I was just wondering if he might a privacy freak like me:D *Meaning I don't use either of the two most popular operating systems on my wife's phone.

I was never one to be always on my phone, but the amount of times I would sort of start to reach for it at random times for really no reason had me thinking that phones can make people fidgety and unfocused. So nowadays I either leave my phone in a different room, sort of ignoring it, or I keep it in my GoDark bag, which takes it off the grid completely, and puts an extra, sort of annoying step in to access it. I have to unstrap the bag, get the thing out, wait for it to reconnect to the grid etc. This has the affect of me just ignoring it completely. As a bonus, it can't listen to me/my conversations.
Good idea, I like that! That way you have the phone if you really need it, but aren't always tempted to have it in your hands.