Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   The Television & Music Forum (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Raised by Wolves (Ridley Scott, HBO) (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=62054)

Yoda 08-05-20 04:04 PM

Raised by Wolves (Ridley Scott, HBO)

Well this looks...interesting? Weird? Both.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAg6RTQEfeM

Stirchley 08-05-20 04:24 PM

Re: Raised by Wolves (Ridley Scott, HBO)

Not a sci-fi fan, but might take a look at this. What is the actress’s name? I don’t recognize her.

doubledenim 08-06-20 11:31 AM

I don’t know if I was conditioned at a young age, but his aesthetic makes me feel at home. This looks weird, time will tell if it’s “good” weird.

Hopefully it’s not a bad sign that this flew under the radar. One of the biggest names in Sci-fi, making an exclusive for a fledgling streaming platform and this is the first we hear about it?

After watching the trailer a 2nd time...If he ties this in to the Alien universe 🤯🤬🤯

I know I heard the Alien nasal staccato growl at the end...

ynwtf 08-10-20 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by doubledenim (Post 2114736)
I don’t know if I was conditioned at a young age, but his aesthetic makes me feel at home. This looks weird, time will tell if it’s “good” weird.

Hopefully it’s not a bad sign that this flew under the radar. One of the biggest names in Sci-fi, making an exclusive for a fledgling streaming platform and this is the first we hear about it?

After watching the trailer a 2nd time...If he ties this in to the Alien universe 🤯🤬🤯

I know I heard the Alien nasal staccato growl at the end...
That's just weird, man.
I blame Terry Gilliam for my childhood. Not that he's my father, mind you. More, my adopted televised nanny-man.

doubledenim 08-10-20 06:20 PM

Not weird unless you make it weird.

Austruck 08-10-20 09:53 PM

This looks fascinating. And is this really a "fledgling" streaming service, though? It's just HBO GO rebranding itself somewhat. Will definitely give this a watch.

Wyldesyde19 08-10-20 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by ynwtf (Post 2115800)
That's just weird, man.
I blame Terry Gilliam for my childhood. Not that he's my father, mind you. More, my adopted televised nanny-man.
It’s not weird unless you make eye contact with him.....

ynwtf 08-10-20 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Austruck (Post 2115972)
This looks fascinating. And is this really a "fledgling" streaming service, though? It's just HBO GO rebranding itself somewhat. Will definitely give this a watch.

IT's FLEDGLING!!!!! K?!?

:D:D:D

Austruck 08-11-20 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by ynwtf (Post 2115982)
IT's FLEDGLING!!!!! K?!?

:D:D:D
Well, okely dokely then! :D

doubledenim 08-11-20 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Austruck (Post 2115972)

I say "fledgling" because it has nowhere near the penetration rate as Netflix, Hulu or Amazon. I get that it's still HBO, but it's nowhere close to the big boys yet. All reports indicate that people aren't gravitating towards it like having 8 standard HBO channels to browse on a cable service.

Austruck 08-12-20 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by doubledenim (Post 2116205)
I say "fledgling" because it has nowhere near the penetration rate as Netflix, Hulu or Amazon. I get that it's still HBO, but it's nowhere close to the big boys yet. All reports indicate that people aren't gravitating towards it like having 8 standard HBO channels to browse on a cable service.
Ah, okay. Makes sense. Yeah, I see the streaming services such as HBO Max, Starz, and Showtime as just offshoots from their broadcast counterparts and don't really compare them in my mind to larger services such as Netflix, Prime, or Hulu.

John McClane 08-12-20 01:15 PM

HBO MAX sounds like the bigger bottle of liquor you get at a Costco.

doubledenim 09-03-20 09:54 AM

Streaming Meow!

Cuz some of us don’t up sign for notifications

Austruck 09-03-20 01:50 PM

Looks like this starts today!

Austruck 09-03-20 06:46 PM

I watched the first episode just now. It's easily understood -- you're given the information about the story world as you need it, even though you're dropped into the story with both feet. You start at the logical beginning, though, so it's a smooth transition into its world. It has great potential to be really terrific, but I have a few tiny concerns that they could end up branching off into tropes. Cautiously optimistic. I won't say any more at this stage...

Definitely seems binge-able. In fact, I know I'll be watching at least one more episode today/tonight.

ynwtf 09-03-20 10:47 PM

Weird huh? Three episodes are already available. Didn't this start tonight?

Austruck 09-03-20 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by ynwtf (Post 2121977)
Weird huh? Three episodes are already available. Didn't this start tonight?
Yeah, I saw something that said the "premiere" would be the first three episodes and then a new episode every Thursday.

ynwtf 09-04-20 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by Austruck (Post 2121984)
Yeah, I saw something that said the "premiere" would be the first three episodes and then a new episode every Thursday.

This is so TRIPPY!!

doubledenim 09-04-20 01:54 AM

ep 1

I didn’t need any help queuing up Danzig in the back of my head and then she starts in with her sh__ 😄

I don’t know who gets the credit, but those expressions make my skin crawl. I don’t know how you direct that.

Ad nauseam: Just keep pouring that RS sci-fi aesthetic in my brain 🥳

Campion(?) has to be 11’s little brother. Never got a chance to hear him say, “Pa-paa”.

doubledenim 09-04-20 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by ynwtf (Post 2121987)
This is so TRIPPY!!
HBO wants to keep these shows in the conscious for longer than Netflix, who can probably never put that genie 🧞*♂️ back in the bottle.

Austruck 09-04-20 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by doubledenim (Post 2122013)
HBO wants to keep these shows in the conscious for longer than Netflix, who can probably never put that genie 🧞*♂️ back in the bottle.
My assumption is that they decided that three episodes is enough of a binge to get you hooked on the series so you'll wait each Thursday for a new episode.

But honestly, weekly episodes is how HBO always works (Game of Thrones, Westworld, all previous shows before bingeing became a thing). It's that three-episode "premiere" that's different. And probably smart, as you say, because of the Netflix genie that's been let out of its bottle.

doubledenim 09-05-20 01:16 AM

Oh yeah.

How creepy were those newborns?

Austruck 09-05-20 01:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Originally Posted by doubledenim (Post 2122261)
Oh yeah.

How creepy were those newborns?
THANK YOU! I kept seeing this:

<shudder> Very unintentionally creepy.

Austruck 09-05-20 11:43 PM

I've watched all three available episodes. I'm not sure what to think.
I'll keep watching. It could still fall into being nothing but tropes and bad plot choices. We'll see... the jury is still out for me.

ynwtf 09-06-20 12:06 AM

I'm loving this. The odd is consistently odd. I was incredibly concerned with the 50's sci-fi design and stilted acting in the first few minutes but that very quickly faded and I've been completely enveloped by this absurbly stylized future.

I'd normally be cautiously optimistic but for what these three episodes have created, I'm good with what i have and I'm eager for more.

Austruck 09-06-20 12:22 AM

I guess I've been burned enough by shows that just drove themselves off a cliff that I'm slightly more cautious than optimistic. But, if there had been more episodes available, I definitely would have kept watching. I just worry. :D

ynwtf 09-06-20 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by Austruck (Post 2122465)
I guess I've been burned enough by shows that just drove themselves off a cliff that I'm slightly more cautious than optimistic. But, if there had been more episodes available, I definitely would have kept watching. I just worry. :D

Yeah. I guess I'm drawing a line with myself lol. To not get involved with speculation as I did with GoT or expectations as i did with The Outsider. So far I THINK I'm enjoying this one more partly for that. One episode at a time. But I do think this has been pretty great sci-fi fantasy. I am totally believing Amanda Collin's performance and facial ticks as she slips in and out of her mental states.

It's like a weird future Gone Girl thing.

:D

doubledenim 09-06-20 01:56 AM

I talked to my sis about it it. She said she didn’t think she could handle anymore blue-grey scifi :lol:

Austruck 09-06-20 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by doubledenim (Post 2122470)
I talked to my sis about it it. She said she didn’t think she could handle anymore blue-grey scifi :lol:
That's hilarious. :D And so true!

Austruck 09-06-20 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by ynwtf (Post 2122469)
Yeah. I guess I'm drawing a line with myself lol. To not get involved with speculation as I did with GoT or expectations as i did with The Outsider. So far I THINK I'm enjoying this one more partly for that. One episode at a time. But I do think this has been pretty great sci-fi fantasy. I am totally believing Amanda Collin's performance and facial ticks as she slips in and out of her mental states.

It's like a weird future Gone Girl thing.

I try not to overthink plots too. And it definitely helps in my enjoyment of entertainment like this. So I'm not speculating. I'm just hoping it continues to draw me in. Yes, Amanda Collin is definitely a draw. I haven't figured out whether I love or hate her character, and that's largely due to her great, subtle facial expressions.

doubledenim 09-12-20 01:16 PM

Comes Awn ppls, new episodes to watch.

And before anyone else, Lube Man.

Austruck 09-13-20 06:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Originally Posted by doubledenim (Post 2124148)
Comes Awn ppls, new episodes to watch.

And before anyone else, Lube Man.
What did I forget already? Lube Man? The prisoner? Or someone else?

When we saw the prisoner, though, I admit that I kept seeing this ("'Tis but a scratch!"):

ynwtf 09-13-20 06:40 PM

^lol.

I'm loving this show. For me, at least, it may be some of the greatest T.V. sci-fi I've seen. Not THE greatest, mind you, but it's up with the first season of Battlestar Galactica (reboot) and Dr. Who. I'm feeling as much enjoyment as I did season 1 of Game of Thrones. More, in fact, as I prefer sci-fi over fantasy so it gets a bump up.

I can also see how it can turn a lot of people off though. There are weird bits all over the place that risk pulling a viewer right out. I think the Python reference is a perfect t example of thqt. So far for me, I've committed to this world and everything (even the weird/goofy stuff) makes sense in it.

Austruck 09-13-20 07:03 PM

I'm following the story fairly easily, which doesn't always happen for me with sci-fi or fantasy, so that's a big plus. I'm not walking away from these episodes thinking, "WTF?" :D (I don't mind a LITTLE of that, but shows like, ohhhh, Westworld and Dark often have me throwing my hands up in frustration these days.)

Having said that, though, I still don't see much of this that feels compellingly unique in the story. Like, I'm not thinking, "Wow! What a great twist! I didn't see that development coming!" It feels almost too smooth. For instance...

WARNING: "Spoilers!" spoilers below
With episode 5, where we see Mother and her creator, Campion Spurges, it didn't feel as if it revealed all that much to us because we've already heard the Mythraic soldiers and clerics talking about how this android had been reprogrammed by the atheists. So, a lot of the surprise/reveal was lost because they already told us that stuff in earlier episodes. Would have been far more striking to not have known beforehand that Mother had been reprogrammed.

ynwtf 09-13-20 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Austruck (Post 2124419)
I'm following the story fairly easily, which doesn't always happen for me with sci-fi or fantasy, so that's a big plus. I'm not walking away from these episodes thinking, "WTF?" :D (I don't mind a LITTLE of that, but shows like, ohhhh, Westworld and Dark often have me throwing my hands up in frustration these days.)

Having said that, though, I still don't see much of this that feels compellingly unique in the story. Like, I'm not thinking, "Wow! What a great twist! I didn't see that development coming!" It feels almost too smooth. For instance...

WARNING: "Spoilers!" spoilers below
With episode 5, where we see Mother and her creator, Campion Spurges, it didn't feel as if it revealed all that much to us because we've already heard the Mythraic soldiers and clerics talking about how this android had been reprogrammed by the atheists. So, a lot of the surprise/reveal was lost because they already told us that stuff in earlier episodes. Would have been far more striking to not have known beforehand that Mother had been reprogrammed.

I think that's a totally fair criticism.

For me...
WARNING: "spoileriishiness" spoilers below
...that reveal was less for twist and more for filling out the gray space between what, so far, as been pure black and white divides between those of faith and those of atheism. We knew she was reprogrammed, but she as a character has now faced the emotional side of the memories she had no access to up until this point in the story. Now, her hard line against "faith" is shifting to giving thanks to her creator. Father noticed it and questioned it. Mother's response was something to the effect of not having faith, but knowing that her creator (a real man) existed. Arguably, she doesn't know that if you take her time in the simulation chamber as just a vision. That she cannot perceive her experiences as similar to those of the human believers that she distrusts so much is kind of important I think. Especially considering that Father, a lower model, can. We've learned already that she is capable of self reflection and doubt, given her consideration that maybe she was the one poisoning her original children, so it should be interesting to see her growth if she can recognize her faith growing for what it is and not for what she rationalizes it as. I think that parallels what's happening with Marcus' experience at the prophecy structure, hearing a voice, given that he and his wife are atheists.

Twists? No. But I am very interested in seeing how these two very hard lined sides are going to deal with their sort of hypocrisy, calling their gods by different names as if names alone make the difference.

Westworld, season 1 was great. I didn't care much for the over-complexity of season 2 and only made it two episodes into season 3 I think before bailing. Totally throwing my hands up too, there.

Austruck 09-13-20 08:07 PM

All valid stuff, yes! Good points about watching this for that hard-line dichotomy between "faith" and faith. Will either side come to realize the irony of their situations?

Oh, and despite my sometimes thinking we're not getting enough twists, I'm still *fully* compelled to keep watching. Something irrefutably fascinating about the whole package here.

gandalf26 09-13-20 08:33 PM

What's this? Theon Greyjoy prequel?

doubledenim 09-14-20 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by Austruck (Post 2124413)
What did I forget already? Lube Man? The prisoner? Or someone else?

When we saw the prisoner, though, I admit that I kept seeing this ("'Tis but a scratch!"):
Lube Man was the guy from the Watchmen series that slide into the sewer grate. His costume strikes an eery resemblance...

ynwtf 09-14-20 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by doubledenim (Post 2124459)
Lube Man was the guy from the Watchmen series that slide into the sewer grate. His costume strikes an eery resemblance...

Rofl.
That's all I can reply. I deleted the rest. Thanks for clarifying!!

Austruck 09-14-20 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by doubledenim (Post 2124459)
Haven't kept up with any of the Watchmen stuff. My bad! :D

Chypmunk 09-14-20 12:24 PM

We used to live next door but one to the zoo when i was small - so although strictly speaking not wolves, I was virtually raised by tigers, lions and a jackal :)

[/invaluable contribution to thread]

ynwtf 09-17-20 09:22 PM

Two more episodes on deck!!! It's not been addressed, I don't think, but the title audio track is a perfect pairing for the weird aesthetics of this series.

ynwtf 09-17-20 10:02 PM

Well now. This one jumps right into the deep end of the ....ocean. Weird, interesting (but kinda weird) stuff!

This better not go the way of Carnivale.

Austruck 09-18-20 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by ynwtf (Post 2125556)
Well now. This one jumps right into the deep end of the ....ocean. Weird, interesting (but kinda weird) stuff!

This better not go the way or Carnivale.
Which episode are you referring to? Somehow I either missed one last week or they let us watch two because two episodes were waiting for me (6 and 7, I think). And now I'm not sure where it's headed... again.

And I still don't quite know who I'm supposed to be rooting for.

Austruck 09-18-20 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by ynwtf (Post 2125556)
This better not go the way or Carnivale.
Oh, mentioning Carnivale is almost a trigger for me. Ugh. If only that series had ended literally about FIVE MINUTES before it did, I could have lived with it being snuffed out like that.

ynwtf 09-18-20 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Austruck (Post 2125579)
Which episode are you referring to? Somehow I either missed one last week or they let us watch two because two episodes were waiting for me (6 and 7, I think). And now I'm not sure where it's headed... again.

And I still don't quite know who I'm supposed to be rooting for.

Looks like they added two. I think they did last week too. I was referring to her recent simulation pod experience.

The only thing I'm having issue with is the casting of Travis Fimmel. He has the same eye flutter head twists in every character he plays. And his speech patterns I feel are too much of our language instead of belonging to his time. Too much American slang. "You betcha!" Of all the quirkiness of this series, it's that that risks pulling me out the most.

Right there with you on Carnivale. I watched it again a year or two back and really enjoyed it. I even thought they had edited the ending removing the cut in question. I was excited! Then bloop, my memory was off on the timing and there he was. They really should consider a name change to HBOMG.

ynwtf 09-18-20 02:20 PM

WAY off topic, but still on HBO, if any of you enjoy dry humor with a good bit of slapstick sprinkled in, do check out Avenue 5. I started it out of boredom when it first aired. I admit to not liking the first episode but maybe halfway into the second, I was rolling with laughter. It's just so absurd! I don't imagine they will continue it with another season, and that's a shame really as it was pleasantly mild and silly.

Austruck 09-18-20 02:29 PM

Yeah, I'm not a fan of Fimmel, out of the whole cast. His acting is very... meh. I just don't believe what he's trying to convey (because it just doesn't feel like he's actually TRYING very hard). Too bad he's such a pivotal character.

One of the things that keeps pulling me out of the story world isn't Marcus's colloquialisms. It's actually that I never know how vulnerable Mother and Father really are. I mean, I realize Mother's eye-switches change everything, but why did SOME bullets knock Father to the ground where they could subdue him, when other bullets a minute earlier barely did anything at all? Same with Mother. Suddenly she's tied up and semi-cooperative? I dunno.

Although I *think* they want us to root for her (if only because she cares for the children), I keep remembering that she also just explodes people (and LOTS of them). And that she now willingly puts those eyes in knowing she might end up zapping people in a horrific way. Hard to root for a robot that does that sort of thing repeatedly.

But I can't really root for the humans (either the religious ones or the atheists) for various reasons. Everybody seems to be on a quest or mission that is slightly "off" in some way.

I suppose that means we're left rooting just for the children, although I don't even like all of THEM. :D :D

Still watching, though. And still curious and interested. So I guess they're succeeding in their storytelling.

ynwtf 09-18-20 02:50 PM

"I believe the children are the future."

lol. Sins of the father and all that. Two enemies claiming their version of God will protect them while smiting the enemies that just happen to be praying for the same thing. None are good, IMO, but want to be the good guy. Whether they recognize it is what keeps me invested. Well, it all keeps me but that prevents me from questioning who to root for I guess. Even the children are not out of reach of envy and jealousy.

doubledenim 09-26-20 11:45 AM

I don’t know if you guys have seen all of them, but I’m up to the crazy cathedral milk love ambush battle axe episode.

I don’t find it hard to know who we are rooting for, it’s Campion. He’s got a great wig and that’s really all we need. Super emo Campion.

Speaking of wigs, Paul's hair is really great for a kid on a colony planet. Then you have all the grownups with these asymmetrical razor cuts that are touched up every day. Can we at least meet the hair stylist? Are the androids doing it for them. If so, bring me an android. Trimming my neck is something I want to leave in 2020.

Austruck 09-26-20 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by doubledenim (Post 2127416)
I don’t know if you guys have seen all of them, but I’m up to the crazy cathedral milk love ambush battle axe episode.

I don’t find it hard to know who we are rooting for, it’s Campion. He’s got a great wig and that’s really all we need. Super emo Campion.

Speaking of wigs, Paul's hair is really great for a kid on a colony planet. Then you have all the grownups with these asymmetrical razor cuts that are touched up every day. Can we at least meet the hair stylist? Are the androids doing it for them. If so, bring me an android. Trimming my neck is something I want to leave in 2020.
OH MY GOSH. I kept thinking I should mention the hairstyles but kept forgetting. What the heck, right? They're these random, asymmetrical half-buzz-cut, half-mullet things that make no sense. Like someone started buzzing on one side and then the batteries on the clippers died or something. :D

I guess I'm rooting for Campion, or most of the kids, I guess. But since there are other kids in the story now. Dunno who I'll end up really rooting for.

doubledenim 09-27-20 02:20 PM

Well, things got kinda Dark, real quick. My head is kinda spinning from the last episodes.

There is so much going on and it doesn’t make a lot of sense. Mother’s dream sequence is probably top of the list. I wanted to rewind it to see the “creature” again, but I thought better. I enjoy sleeping through the night.

How about the 3 mins of blood flow reversal / superhuman / bad guy dead. I don’t even get the point of that conflict, when it was over before it started. My guess is it will have an effect on the fetus, but it seemed tacked on.

Hey, let’s throw some chrome trading cards into a fire for good measure.

Too bad this show probably won’t make it far enough for us to see Paul and Campion as the heads of two separate warring factions.

Austruck 09-28-20 12:19 PM

I'm still trying to wrap my head around Marcus's swift turnaround... just because he heard a voice in his head a few times. Instead of questioning his sanity, he completely flips his entire worldview. So, does that mean this voice is compelling him or changing him? Or is this just lazy writing? :D

Strangely enough I still don't have a firm opinion on this show. I'm intensely curious to see where the plot goes, but I'm just not wholly invested in any of these characters. I have no idea why that's happening, but it's still true nine episodes in.

ynwtf 09-28-20 02:53 PM

Totally fair.

WARNING: "stuffy stuff" spoilers below
  • Kids' hair. Yeah, Paul's hair is perfect. Maybe it's a right-of-passage Klingon ascension head shave kinda thing. lol. No. I don't know.
  • The Prisoner Blood Frenzy. This really annoyed me. I thought the use of him was morbid and interesting, but that flip at the end and his strength seemed way out of place. That felt cheap and I would have rather he had made a last ditch effort to just escape or anything other than what he did. I get frustrated the more I try to think about that bit.
  • Marcus' Flip. I'm OK with it. The guy had to be nuts already growing up the way he did, beaten and likely abused and taught he was fodder for the war and nothing more. He's been seeing/hearing things since his second episode, I think, so drifting on down that madness isn't out of reach for me. And he's not only hearing voices. That structure burned Ambrose and was cold to the touch after. The voice told him to "let her go" followed by the fight with himself, and that could have all been hallucination, but I can't ignore the structure and the noise it made before burning Ambrose. That with him seeing whatever signs he is seeing play out to believe that he is the prophecy I feel is enough to justify his switch. Now. I hate Marcus' character in general, but I think that's more the actor as commented in an earlier post. I wonder if another actor would have played that slip better. Fimmel seems to be doing exactly what he did in Vikings and that is not cool and just comes off down right lazy and uninspired. The signs are there for the character. I fault the actor, in this case, for not acting it out. I mean compare him to Amanda Collin's performances (especially that weird modern dance bit where she starts to malfunction, gyrating and contorting; gosh I wish I could remember which episode that was!). She is spot on for the character and weirdness of this universe she exists in. Fimmel, eh, he's the same paranoid viking just on another planet. At least he made it past France.

Please know when I reply I don't mean to defend it, necessarily, but to just share my take on things and why some points aren't bothering me. Usually, when I watch a movie or a series, certain things stand out and catch my attention enough to pull me out of my suspension of disbelief. That happened a lot with GoT and Westworld. At least in season 3 of Westworld, and maybe half of season 2. That said, I'm really surprised that I'm as invested into this show as I am. Yes, I catch little details that might otherwise throw me out of the moment, but they're just not hitting me hard with this one. I do not know if that's a testament to the oddities in set design and story, or just my intense desperation to have (need??) a science fiction series fix. I'm totally OK with the latter.

Austruck 09-29-20 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by ynwtf (Post 2127756)
Totally fair.

WARNING: "stuffy stuff" spoilers below
  • Kids' hair. Yeah, Paul's hair is perfect. Maybe it's a right-of-passage Klingon ascension head shave kinda thing. lol. No. I don't know.
  • The Prisoner Blood Frenzy. This really annoyed me. I thought the use of him was morbid and interesting, but that flip at the end and his strength seemed way out of place. That felt cheap and I would have rather he had made a last ditch effort to just escape or anything other than what he did. I get frustrated the more I try to think about that bit.
  • Marcus' Flip. I'm OK with it. The guy had to be nuts already growing up the way he did, beaten and likely abused and taught he was fodder for the war and nothing more. He's been seeing/hearing things since his second episode, I think, so drifting on down that madness isn't out of reach for me. And he's not only hearing voices. That structure burned Ambrose and was cold to the touch after. The voice told him to "let her go" followed by the fight with himself, and that could have all been hallucination, but I can't ignore the structure and the noise it made before burning Ambrose. That with him seeing whatever signs he is seeing play out to believe that he is the prophecy I feel is enough to justify his switch. Now. I hate Marcus' character in general, but I think that's more the actor as commented in an earlier post. I wonder if another actor would have played that slip better. Fimmel seems to be doing exactly what he did in Vikings and that is not cool and just comes off down right lazy and uninspired. The signs are there for the character. I fault the actor, in this case, for not acting it out. I mean compare him to Amanda Collin's performances (especially that weird modern dance bit where she starts to malfunction, gyrating and contorting; gosh I wish I could remember which episode that was!). She is spot on for the character and weirdness of this universe she exists in. Fimmel, eh, he's the same paranoid viking just on another planet. At least he made it past France.

Please know when I reply I don't mean to defend it, necessarily, but to just share my take on things and why some points aren't bothering me. Usually, when I watch a movie or a series, certain things stand out and catch my attention enough to pull me out of my suspension of disbelief. That happened a lot with GoT and Westworld. At least in season 3 of Westworld, and maybe half of season 2. That said, I'm really surprised that I'm as invested into this show as I am. Yes, I catch little details that might otherwise throw me out of the moment, but they're just not hitting me hard with this one. I do not know if that's a testament to the oddities in set design and story, or just my intense desperation to have (need??) a science fiction series fix. I'm totally OK with the latter.
That's actually helpful stuff in your spoilery section, so thanks. I'll probably rewatch these last 2 episodes in hopes of some of this clicking in my brain better.

The weird gyration moves were just in the last episode or so, right? (If I rewatch, I'll let you know.)

Little things that are no fault of the show have sometimes shoved me out of the story world too. In my case it's stuff like random thoughts: "Gee, I wonder how the actors playing Mother and Father like those one-piece rubbery suits. I don't see any zippers so going to the bathroom must be hellish and take forever." :D

ynwtf 09-29-20 01:05 AM

Klingon rights of ascension explain everything.

doubledenim 09-29-20 01:28 AM

Unlike others : p , I keep forgetting Mother’s name. She is why I watch it, more than anything. Yes, Paul’s hair is the real prophesied one, but Mother’s rapid facial switches and those earnest, pained expressions are why I stream in.

The rest is kinda falling apart for me. Leading the way are the worst “human” parents in the galaxy.

ynwtf 09-29-20 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by doubledenim (Post 2127930)
Unlike others : p , I keep forgetting Mother’s name. She is why I watch it, more than anything. Yes, Paul’s hair is the real prophesied one, but Mother’s rapid facial switches and those earnest, pained expressions are why I stream in.

The rest is kinda falling apart for me. Leading the way are the worst “human” parents in the galaxy.
Can't help it. Totally crushing on the android that can replace their eyeballs and destroy worlds type of chicks =\ that's always been a weakness of mine.

doubledenim 09-29-20 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by ynwtf (Post 2128055)
Can't help it. Totally crushing on the android that can replace their eyeballs and destroy worlds type of chicks =\ that's always been a weakness of mine.

I always had that strange little boy fascination crush on Destro that obviously transferred to the T-1000 and now Mother. Still Danzig.

ynwtf 09-29-20 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by doubledenim (Post 2128079)
I always had that strange little boy fascination crush on Destro that obviously transferred to the T-1000 and now Mother. Still Danzig.
ROFL.
Full circle then. I mean Destro's chrome dome with mother's chrome(ish) body suit? Two parts of the same puzzle! I started a weird obsession with nerdy mean chicks with glasses and deep, manly, nazi-like voices cuz of The Baroness. Thanks, GIJoe. =\

doubledenim 10-01-20 06:29 AM

Ep 10 appears to be the season/series finale. Can’t wait to hear everyone else’s reaction. I feel like the Motha/Danzig connection is complete. So weird.

Austruck 10-01-20 12:33 PM

Trying to watch episode 10. It'll play the recap and the preview stuff and then stops and says it can't play this title right now--please try again a little later. Happened half a dozen times in a row so I'm giving up till later! Arrrgh!

ynwtf 10-01-20 12:35 PM

It's out in the AM?? I just assumed it was made available at precisely the time I get home, eat, and turn on my PS4. SO WEIRD!?

you BOTH have already watched it?!

ynwtf 10-01-20 12:38 PM

without commentary, can either of you provide a Commodus reaction?

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-CmAKAZkYC...-gladiator.gif

(commentary is fine. just tag that mofo. thought i'll probably still read it. the more obstacles in the way, the less the temptation. on the other hand, the more obstacles, the more taunting the read. like NOT pulling tape on wrapped christmas gifts (while mom was still at work) from grandma that arrived 2 weeks before the big day. hm. DD? you're not mom are you? MOTHER!! OMG I CAN'T HELP ITasfdgg [missing end parenthesis punctuation]

*edit for parenthetical addition
**edit edit to add "end parenthesis" to previously edited edit.
sigh.

o.O

*** parent-theocratical?!?!?!?

doubledenim 10-01-20 12:55 PM

WARNING: "What a mess" spoilers below

I didn’t want to do a bashing the show post, but I’ve come to my senses.

How much s*** do we really need going on at one time?

- Mother and the demon baby. A giant flying eel at that.

- Outlaw Paul. Hearing voices man. Going to the top of the mountain. Shoot your mother, not your mother. Ooooh, yeeaaah! (read in the vocal stylings of Randy “Macho Man” Savage

- The sperm and egg imagery. Thanks. We all knew that falling in the pit didn’t result in death (Mouse and Tali). Now we are gonna have Pet Cemetery Mother and Father.

- Father’s character just keeps getting worse.

- Snake arm kid

- Marcus being force fed an eye of destruction. He already had enough going on. Now he has veins popping out of his face and he is gonna be the woman from the Richard Pryor Superman movie that got sucked into the machine.

- Another faction of humans

- The evolution/de-evolution thing. My original thought had always been the creatures were human at one time.

I’m typing this on mobile, if I had a keyboard I would probably do another couple hundred words.

The first episodes had so much promise, I don’t know how we got here. How much is RS involved with this? It seems to follow in the path he established with his recent movies. Let’s get messy.

doubledenim 10-01-20 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Austruck (Post 2128556)
Trying to watch episode 10. It'll play the recap and the preview stuff and then stops and says it can't play this title right now--please try again a little later. Happened half a dozen times in a row so I'm giving up till later! Arrrgh!
I have problems with the recap/title sequence. Even worse when I hook up to the t.v. Freezes a lot trying to skip through that title sequence.

doubledenim 10-01-20 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by ynwtf (Post 2128558)
It's out in the AM?? I just assumed it was made available at precisely the time I get home, eat, and turn on my PS4. SO WEIRD!?

you BOTH have already watched it?!

East coasters marginalized by the western elites. Thursday doesn’t start until 3 am.

Originally Posted by ynwtf (Post 2128559)
... like NOT pulling tape on wrapped christmas gifts (while mom was still at work) from grandma that arrived 2 weeks before the big day. hm. DD? you're not mom are you? MOTHER!! OMG I CAN'T HELP ITasfdgg [missing end parenthesis punctuation]

*edit for parenthetical addition
**edit edit to add "end parenthesis" to previously edited edit.
sigh.

o.O

*** parent-theocratical?!?!?!?
That pulling tape reference hit too close to home. Do I already have a neuralink? Are you in my head?

Austruck 10-01-20 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by doubledenim (Post 2128563)
I have problems with the recap/title sequence. Even worse when I hook up to the t.v. Freezes a lot trying to skip through that title sequence.
I made it through all the pre-show stuff and then it quit. No title sequence, etc. Obviously the previews for other shows and the recap are separate "bits" because it goes black and then I get the playback error message. Will try later once I get a little bit of work done. :) So much for my clever procrastination technique. :D

Austruck 10-01-20 07:13 PM

Finally got to watch that episode 10 season finale.

EGAD.

Just...

EGAD.

How high were the show writers when they hatched this sulfurous egg? Honestly, @doubledenim, I think you hit all the salient non-salient points in your spoiler-tagged post. I lost count of how many times I yelled "WHAAAA?" during this episode, especially at the tail end.

So, we get all this weird mythology and story world crap... but not nearly enough to make any actual sense of anything? Why was Mother having those weird visions of cloaked humanoids and that person/thing trapped in a 3D octagon sauna ball? I mean, c'mon! And if it wasn't their creator who implanted that baby, then WHO OR WHAT DID?

I don't mind season cliffhangers, USUALLY, but I've been burned enough in the past (CARNIVALE AGAIN, PEOPLE!) to know that, if this show tanks enough to never have a season 2, I'm going to be even MORE pissed than I am at having to wait for these answers if there IS a season 2. Because there were TOO many cliffhangers and unanswered questions. Too. Many. On various levels of the plot and the story's backstory.

Honestly. I gotta go watch some Monty Python or something as a palate cleanser.

ynwtf 10-01-20 08:27 PM

*cracks knuckles*
looks like ima hafta watch this'n come awn back n 'splain some things t'night!

lol.

seriously though. I'm mentally wtfing reading both your posts rofl with all the WEIRD things you're describing. i can't EVEN imagine what this episode is going to be like now!!!. i love this thread!

doubledenim 10-01-20 08:46 PM

Texting with me ol’ sissy today about our phone call later. I was so excited to talk about this show, because Shirley she had given up on it. “Oh no, we can’t do that. I’m only on ep. 4.”

I remember being on ep. 4. All bright-eyed and eager...

Austruck 10-01-20 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by doubledenim (Post 2128712)
Texting with me ol’ sissy today about our phone call later. I was so excited to talk about this show, because Shirley she had given up on it. “Oh no, we can’t do that. I’m only on ep. 4.”

I remember being on ep. 4. All bright-eyed and eager...
Ah, the good old days when we were all young and naive and full of hope!

ynwtf 10-01-20 11:08 PM

Ha! YESSSSssssssssss ...!!!
Well. That got slippery, fast!! I have NO idea what I just experienced but I think I loved it if just for the pure "waaaaaaaah-huh?" of it all.

I need to digest this a good long while. Before commenting.

[Insert Joe Dirt Daaaaaang here]

Austruck 10-02-20 01:03 AM

Meanwhile, @Yoda started this thread and hasn't commented since!

Yoda 10-02-20 01:36 AM

Haven’t watched it yet.

Austruck 10-02-20 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2128767)
Haven’t watched it yet.
Be sure to read through some of this thread first. You might thank us. :D

ynwtf 10-02-20 01:57 AM

NO! don't read. a. THING! this series must be ...experienced. You will have to go all in for this one, I'm afraid. don't hold back and just let go.

I wonder what the experience would be like without waiting a week for a new round, taking each episode back to back to back? I'm reading through our comments and I keep seeing spikes of disbelieve and shock but eagerness to continue. I wonder how the pacing would feel start to finish and if tonight's standalone episode would feel more in sync with the series over all? We were normally given what, 2 episodes a week? Could be a factor.

Also!
WARNING: "stuff" spoilers below
That there were tunnel/pits back in EP1, clearly the writers weren't improvising halfway in. All the seeds were sown and crops are starting to come up. Like the original children, though, I don't know if it's nourishment or radioactive. I did really enjoy the Mother/Father dynamics in the core of human relationships. Especially in tonight's episode. I do think they should have spread these last few plot points over previous episodes though. If this is really the season finale, then too much was introduced at the end. I will rewatch though soon, to see if there were clues I didn't pick up on. I mean, like the pits. The creatures did look humanoid, just on all fours. I half expected one of them to speak or at least pull a Gollum type of coughing talk, so the leap to devolving humanoid wasn't much to swallow. 86 the prisoner blood reversal, maybe cut tonight's flight to the core only to be flown back out by the cyber eel, and take out the band of human pirates whatever revelation at the end with the ship over head. Sans those oddities, I think the episode would be stronger. I get needing to give Father purpose, but that flight was a wasted effort and played cheesy with the whole "life before our android eyes" sequence.

This better not go the way of Carnivale. At least that run was resolved, barring the last few minutes. I agree that this one has far too many "wtfs?" dangling to let it die. HBO did renew Avenue 5 for another season. If that got picked up, there's hope!

After a rewatch, I'm tempted to visit the commentary shorts to see what doors those open. I hated stuff like that with GoTs, but this may be worth the effort.

ynwtf 10-02-20 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2128767)
Haven’t watched it yet.

Oh we know! IF you had, you could not have resisted the subliminal persuasions of Sol to come and commune with our small thread cult.

Austruck 10-02-20 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by ynwtf (Post 2128771)
Oh we know! IF you had, you could not have resisted the subliminal persuasions of Sol to come and commune with our small thread cult.
This whole thread really made watching this show worthwhile. :D I'm not sure watching the show made watching the show worthwhile, but this thread did.

I may find time one of these days to sit and rewatch in proper binge style, to see if that pacing changes what I notice and what elements make sense.

But not today.
Or tomorrow.

ynwtf 10-02-20 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Austruck (Post 2128861)
This whole thread really made watching this show worthwhile. :D I'm not sure watching the show made watching the show worthwhile, but this thread did.

I may find time one of these days to sit and rewatch in proper binge style, to see if that pacing changes what I notice and what elements make sense.

But not today.
Or tomorrow.

rofl. I'll ignore part of that.

Yeah, I agree this thread was pretty great. No wild theorycrafting (I tihnk?) or building of expectations. Just... reactionary. And small. I kinda feel like @Austruck and @doubledenim and I deserve some kind of honorary title for our efforts and self control. At least we should all get robes and shades similar to the future "Dudes" in the original Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

https://64.media.tumblr.com/1c54a8e4...t9qo1_400.gifv

doubledenim 10-02-20 01:25 PM

I read an online review of the ep. 10 and was surprised by how much praise it got and a 9/10 rating. A little nugget from said review, season 2 has already been greenlit :eek:

ynwtf 10-02-20 01:36 PM

Interesting on that review. Wow. I def need to binge this to see wtf difference it makes on that episode. I'd give the season 8/10, personally, but like I said before that MAY just be my desperation for a sci-fi series at all :D

doubledenim 10-02-20 01:56 PM

A glaring hole in the season was any sign of these monsters that left behind the skeletons. The reviewer had suggested the flying eel was one of these creatures. Fine.

Are we to believe that this loop of season 1 has happened before? I’m being lazy, but makes me feel like some typical Weyland Corp. , sacrifice some people/droids for a biological marvel that we hope to exploit for some gain.

ynwtf 10-02-20 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by doubledenim (Post 2128893)
A glaring hole in the season was any sign of these monsters that left behind the skeletons. The reviewer had suggested the flying eel was one of these creatures. Fine.

Are we to believe that this loop of season 1 has happened before? I’m being lazy, but makes me feel like some typical Weyland Corp. , sacrifice some people/droids for a biological marvel that we hope to exploit for some gain.
Yeah, with the devolving bit I got serious flashbacks of BSG's (reboot) final season and ongoing theme It has happened before, it will happen again. I assume (I say that loosely) that the eel would continue to grow and eventually die, leaving similar remains. My issue with that is the mouth structure. The lil guy looked more like the leachy fart monster from Dreamcatcher or even the snake thing in Prometheus. The mouth was more like a sucker than a hinged jaw that a snake would have. I can't remember the bone remains from earlier episodes enough to say what those had. Would be cool if they matched. On the other hand, mother is a new technology so maybe the creature changed as a result? Yeah, I'm way off course with all this and this is something I was proud of avoiding in this thread but, dang. There are just too many questions now not to speculate.

Going back to the loop idea. I don't know if I want to believe humanity in general has looped around again. I mean, civilization starts, war ensues, tech advanced, extinction is inevitable, colonize another planet effectively resetting to zero, all while this Sol entity is directing cosmic traffic for reasons we can't understand yet. That's interesting and pretty friggin epic to try to think on, but that requires a vast universe for us, the viewer, to experience I think to step into such a large idea. Battlestar did that. There were several planets. There was jump drive tech that further showed just how huge that universe was. There was clearly established history before those events took place. We were aware of most of that history with the exception of the spiritual bits that kept the story moving forward to learn more about it. Here in comparison, this universe is empty for as far as we can tell. If we knew the story of why everyone on earth chose this planet that might help fill in the gaps and bridge a path into a larger scale universal/deity kind of thing, if that's where things are going in the story that is. I'm not sure that would work considering how minimal sets and characters have been so far. That's part of why I've liked it so much.

Yeah, I have no idea. lol.

ynwtf 10-06-20 05:07 PM

I don't want this thread to die =\

Austruck 10-06-20 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by ynwtf (Post 2129979)
I don't want this thread to die =\
We have to get @Yoda to watch it. That'll revive it. :D

Meanwhile, I just keep wondering how the actors for Mother and Father went to the bathroom in those suits... or whether we can find footage of how the heck they even put them on. :D

ynwtf 10-06-20 07:59 PM

Yeah @Yoda catch up!

Yoda 10-06-20 09:44 PM

But there's soooo mannnyyy things to catch up on.

Austruck 10-06-20 10:59 PM

This is only 10 episodes... only... about... ten... hours... of... your... life...

(that you'll never get back)...

ynwtf 10-06-20 11:24 PM

I ALMOST like that post.

...almost.

doubledenim 10-07-20 01:18 AM

I’m sorrry that I haven’t been here to support you two. I know I let the group down :tsk:

There are lots of shows to watch Mr. Green, but I have a solution to this problem. You make this show next. Those shows been waiting, they can stay waiting :yup: This is what must be done. It’s what is best for the children.

https://media.giphy.com/media/fcXLAN...8RO6/giphy.gif

ynwtf 10-07-20 11:40 AM

Yes, Doubledenim, I would agree. In fact, *tilts head in consideration* this reminds me of.... a joke! An android, a priest, and an atheist walk into a cave....

The atheist asks, "How will we find our way out?" The priest then replies, "We will pray on it." The android then has an existential crisis and kills them both, saying, "...'sol good." What do you think, Campi..... Campion? Where did you go?

Austruck 10-07-20 12:45 PM

This thread is totally worth that ten hours of my life. <3 :D

ynwtf 10-12-20 06:17 PM

Free bump, till Yoda gets the hint.

Hm. Wait! I can drop tech-support questions here to legitimize my posts!!! Hey, @Yoda , used to be I could mouse-over the "liked" ribbon on posts of mine that others have clicked the thumbs-up on. I can't see that anymore. Was that an intentional change? Now I don't know who to send Christmas cookies to, or to list out who to love and who to hate sitewide..

'sup widdat? It's all good tho. I just needed a better excuse to kick this thread back up. dammit, Jim! the thread is NOT--GONNA--DIE!!! not on my watch. Seriously, guys, roll him over. He's lying on my watch =\

Yoda 10-12-20 06:23 PM

Haven't changed anything about the rep banner thingy lately, though maybe you can rephrase and I'll understand what you mean better.

I'll still give this show a try. I just finished another season of another show and I've got two others in progress I need to wrap up first. :laugh: I haven't heard great things about Raised by Wolves but it also sounds weird enough I might like it anyway. Just a little ways down The List still, though.

ynwtf 10-12-20 06:37 PM

Weird. NOW I can see those user names. I meant, specifically, the number of "likes" on a post that sits in the top-right frame of a post, and just below the Quote and Options icons that sit above the post frame. For a few days now I've noticed that I've not been able to click it from mobile to reveal what users have supported a post of mine. I dismissed that to my age and pending *dementia, and that I had only imagined the feature. However, today, before posting, I noticed I could not see the list from my desktop either. Works NOW though ..huh.

Peculiar that I now see it.... after you replied.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/325a...cbbb/tenor.gif

Prolly just my browser. Bowzer? Mario? Hey, yeah! Shah Na Na!!

re: wolves stuff. weird is slightly inapt of a description. go in blind, i'd suggest, and just let go.

*I shouldn't joke about dementia, but I did spell that as dimension the first time around and I didn't catch it until after tracking down this kung-fubbie gif. I am genuinely concerned.

doubledenim 11-16-20 02:10 AM

https://youtu.be/_auMVXbxcbw

Just like the Prometheus Reddit experience I had.

Yoda 12-03-20 09:15 PM

So I guess I'll start this. Everything I'm reading says it's...not that good. But also weird, and sometimes I love weird (even weird bad) things. Now that everyone's finished...still think it's worth it?

Austruck 12-03-20 10:27 PM

It's worth it to us for you to watch it.

Is that close enough? :D

Austruck 12-03-20 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by doubledenim (Post 2141423)
https://youtu.be/_auMVXbxcbw

Just like the Prometheus Reddit experience I had.
That was actually VERY VERY helpful in explaining the show and so much of its unexplained weirdness. Now, if only HALF of that was actually IN the show. One ought not need to watch a half hour explanatory piece to watch a fictional TV series. :D

Thanks for the link. :)