Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The 2023 MoFo Film Awards - Nominations (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=69412)

CosmicRunaway 01-02-24 11:37 AM

The 2023 MoFo Film Awards - Nominations

1 Attachment(s)
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=96858

The Annual MoFo Film Awards are back again!
The deadline for submitting your nominations is March 20th.

What is this?
Formerly hosted by TheUsualSuspect, the MoFo Film Awards are pretty much our version of the Oscars. The categories differ slightly, and even include places to vent about your least favourite film or biggest disappointment of the year. Once I've collected your nominations, I'll reveal the finalists in another thread, where we'll have one month to vote for the winners.

How does it work?
For each category, you're able to select up to 5 films, people, or scenes to nominate (whichever is relevant). These choices are ranked, so your #1 choice will receive 5 points, #2 will receive 4 points, and so on. You do not need to make 5 selections if you don't want to, and your #1 choice will still be worth the full 5 points if you submit a partial ballot. Make sure to PM your nominations to me before the deadline.

Do I have to nominate something for every category?
No, you don't. If you didn't see any documentaries this year, you don't need to randomly choose one, unless you want to. I don't recommend nominating films you haven't seen, but you do you!

Should I keep what I'm nominating a secret?
I do not recommend posting your final ballot in the thread, however unlike the Countdowns and Hall of Fames, talking about how you plan to vote will not cause your nominations to be disqualified. Feel free to post WIP shortlists, or to campaign for specific films or performances.

Some films have conflicting release date information online. How do I know if a film is eligible for these awards?
Any "festival films" that were only shown in places such as the Toronto or Berlin International Film Festivals during 2022, but not given a wide theatrical release until 2023 are automatically eligible, since the majority of us are unable to see them during their initial festival window. Check the bottom of this post for a list of notable films with hybrid release dates, and feel free to suggest additions. If a film has conflicting information online, but is not a festival film, its eligibility will be open for discussion.

For the "Animated Film" category, do rotoscoped films count as "animation"?
Yes! Feel free to nominate any rotoscoped films in that category.

What is this “Mixed Bag” Award?
That is up to you to decide! Is there a film that had some great moments, but overall fell short of being great? Perhaps there was something problematic in (or around) a film that makes you feel kinda “eeehh” about the whole thing. Did you think a film was so perfectly mediocre that it should be called out? This is the category to express any of that!

Can I nominate the same actor for multiple performances?

Yes, you can.

Can I nominate the same role for both Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor?
Yes! I'm pretty sure I've even done this myself when I couldn't decide how exactly to classify the performance. If you'd like to see how other people feel about it first, don't hesitate to ask in the thread.

How do I let you know which scene I want to nominate for the relevant categories?
Try your best to describe it without giving too many spoilers, if possible. If clarification is needed, I will ask. If you know I've seen a film (feel free to creep on my letterboxd to do so), spoilers are fine.

Is it possible to alter my ballot after I sent it?
While you may not make any changes to the selections you have already sent, you may add extra nominations to any category, as long as you didn't already have the maximum of 5 submitted. Any such additions must also be received before the deadline.

What happens if I don't nominate anything? Can I still vote for a winner later?
Yes! You do not need to participate in this round of the Film Awards in order to vote for your favourites later on. However, you will have to forfeit the right to complain about the available choices if you didn't nominate anything yourself.

My question wasn't covered here, what do I do?
You can ask in the thread, or PM me if you're not comfortable posting your question publicly.

~.~

Notable 2022/2023 Films:
The Artifice Girl (Dir. Franklin Ritch)
The Blue Caftan (Dir. Maryam Touzani)
Chevalier (Dir. Stephen Williams)
Enys Men (Dir. Mark Jenkin)
Love According to Dalva (Dir. Emmanuelle Nicot)
M3GAN (Dir. Gerard Johnstone)
Return to Seoul (Dir. Davy Chou)
Sisu (Dir. Jalmari Helander)
Suzume (Dir. Makoto Shinkai)
Talk to Me (Dir. Danny Philippou, Michael Philippou)

Re: The 2023 MoFo Film Awards

The Categories are:

Best Film of The Year
Worst Film of the Year
Best Director of the Year
Best Actor of the Year*
Best Actress of the Year*
Best Supporting Actor of the Year*
Best Supporting Actress of the Year*
Best Screenplay of the Year
Best Animated Film of the Year
Best Documentary Film of the Year
Best Foreign Language Film of the Year
Biggest Surprise of the Year
Biggest Disappointment of the Year
Most Overrated Film of the Year
Most Underrated Film of the Year
Most Memorable Scene of the Year**
Funniest Scene of the Year**
“Mixed-Bag” Award of the Year
Best Ensemble Cast of the Year
Best Cinematography of the Year
Breakout Performance of the Year
Best Score
Best Sound Design
Best Visual Effects

*-Please state the name of the actor, as well as the film's title
**-Please avoid massive spoilers if possible.

Here's an optional form you can copy  

Received Lists:
Allaby
ApexPredator
CosmicRunaway
Harry Lime
Holden Pike
John-Connor
LAMb EELYAK
mrblond
PHOENIX74
sawduck
ScarletLion
seanc
Siddon
stillmellow
TheUsualSuspect
Thursday Next
Torgo
Tugg

~.~

The rest of this post is just some information for anyone curious. I'm not going to list all the previous winners for every category, but since Suspect always kept track of the two major ones, I'll continue that tradition. For anyone who is new to the forum and would like to see how the previous nominations and awards threads were handled, there's links to a few of those as well.

Previous Best Film and Best Director Winners:
2013 Best Film of the Year: Gravity
2014 Best Film of the Year: Birdman
2015 Best Film of the Year: Mad Max: Fury Road
2016 Best Film of the Year: [Tie] La La Land & Manchester By The Sea
2017 Best Film of the Year: Blade Runner: 2049
2018 Best Film of the Year: Roma
2019 Best Film of the Year: Parasite
2022 Best Film of the Year: The Banshees of Inisherin

2013 Best Director of the Year: Alfonso Cuaron - Gravity
2014 Best Director of the Year: Alejandro González Iñárritu - Birdman
2015 Best Director of the Year: George Miller - Mad Max
2016 Best Director of the Year: Damien Chazelle - La La Land
2017 Best Director of the Year: Guillermo del Toro - The Shape of Water
2018 Best Director of the Year: Alfonso Cuaron - Roma
2019 Best Director of the Year: Bong Joon Ho - Parasite
2022 Best Director of the Year: [Tie] Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert - Everything Everywhere All At Once & Martin McDonagh - The Banshees of Inisherin

Previous Awards Threads:
2022 Film Awards - Nominations
2022 Film Awards
2019 Film Awards - Nominations
2019 Film Awards
2018 Film Awards - Nominations
2018 Film Awards
2017 Film Awards - Nominations
2017 Film Awards
2016 Film Awards - Nominations
2016 Film Awards

ScarletLion 01-02-24 11:52 AM

Thank you for hosting Cosmic. I'll be submitting a list. Alot of mine were made in 2022 but not released where I live until 2023, so it wasn't physically possible for me to see them until 2023. I hope they're eligible.

CosmicRunaway 01-02-24 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by ScarletLion (Post 2430986)
Thank you for hosting Cosmic. I'll be submitting a list. Alot of mine were made in 2022 but not released where I live until 2023, so it wasn't physically possible for me to see them until 2023. I hope they're eligible.
Thank you! Glad to hear you'll be participating!

Like last year, any of the 2022 festival films that didn't see a wide release until 2023 are eligible. I wouldn't split hairs over ones that got a theatrical release in late December 2022 but didn't come to streaming until 2023 either, as long as they weren't on the ballot for last year's MoFo Film Awards.

Tugg 01-02-24 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2430981)
Notable 2022/2023 Films:
M3GAN
Talk to Me
The Artifice Girl

Torgo 01-02-24 01:02 PM

Looking forward to it! Here are some 2023 movies worth watching:

Asteroid City
Barbie
BlackBerry
Bottoms
Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves
Evil Dead Rise
Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One
Nimona
Past Lives
Polite Society
Rye Lane
The Iron Claw
The Venture Bros.: Radiant is the Blood of the Baboon Heart
Theater Camp
They Cloned Tyrone

Letterboxd lists these as from 2022, but I think they should count as 2023 movies since they were released theatrically that year:

Chevalier
Sisu

CosmicRunaway 01-02-24 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Tugg (Post 2430995)
M3GAN
Talk to Me
The Artifice Girl
Originally Posted by Torgo (Post 2431012)
Chevalier
Sisu
Adding these, thanks! :up:

Can't believe I didn't remember M3GAN right off the bat, since someone asked about that last year haha.

CosmicRunaway 01-02-24 04:00 PM

Re: The 2023 MoFo Film Awards - Nominations

@Torgo I was just about to take a closer look at the films you mentioned liking, but I see you removed them from your post. It's totally okay to post your favourites of the year, in case you were worried about that!

On a similar note: Please post recommendations, guys! I could personally do with some haha. Including Sisu I've only seen like 18 films from 2023, and one of them was a short film lol. I barely watched any movies in the last like... half of the year or more.

Torgo 01-02-24 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2431061)
@Torgo I was just about to take a closer look at the films you mentioned liking, but I see you removed them from your post. It's totally okay to post your favourites of the year, in case you were worried about that!
I figured you were only asking for 2022/2023 movies, so I removed them. I'll add them again.

CosmicRunaway 01-02-24 04:26 PM

Added a new Q&A to the main post, since I remembered that last year we had a question regarding whether or not rotoscoped films counted for the animation category. The answer is yes!

Also, very similar to what I said last year, here are some examples of what is and isn't okay to post regarding films you liked this year:

A totally fine post:
The Creator and Knock at the Cabin are my favourite films of the year. They're at the top of my list so far.
This is also completely acceptable:
You guys can't stop me from voting for Renfield in all the relevant categories!
However please don't post:
This is my final ballot:

Best Film of The Year
1. The Creator
2. Knock at the Cabin

CosmicRunaway 01-02-24 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Torgo (Post 2431072)
I figured you were only asking for 2022/2023 movies, so I removed them. I'll add them again.
2022/2023 films are the only ones I'm going to add to the main post, since people looking up lists of 2023 films on IMDB or Letterboxd or wherever might not see the ones that "technically" came out in 2022, but feel free to post about any 2023 films you liked in the thread!

Allaby 01-02-24 04:30 PM

My recommendations:
Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret.
Asteroid City
The Color Purple
The Holdovers
The Killer
Maestro
May December
Oppenheimer
The Slumber Party
You Are So Not Invited to My Bat Mitzvah

Recommended documentaries:
American Symphony
Stamped from the Beginning
Still: A Michael J. Fox Movie

Allaby 01-02-24 04:45 PM

Are tv movies or miniseries eligible or just feature films? What about something like Pretty Baby: Brooke Shields? It was made for Hulu and aired on Hulu or Dinsey+but is labelled on imdb as a "tv miniseries" even though it is really a documentary divided into two parts that equal feature length.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt24141700/?ref_=ttrel_ov

CosmicRunaway 01-02-24 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Allaby (Post 2431076)
Are tv movies or miniseries eligible or just feature films? What about something like Pretty Baby: Brooke Shields? It was made for Hulu and aired on Hulu or Dinsey+but is labelled on imdb as a "tv miniseries" even though it is really a documentary divided into two parts that equal feature length.
TV movies are definitely eligible (be it cable tv or streaming), though mini-series are not. However, some mini-series have been allowed in the past if they also had a theatrical release.

For the 2017 Film Awards, Camo even argued that Twin Peaks: The Return should be eligible since Lynch himself called it a film in 18 parts (and it did have a limited theatrical release, I think?). Suspect eventually told him it could be nominated, but mainly because he didn't think anyone would vote for it anyway so... I'm not sure if that should be counted as precedent or not lol.

The Documentary category is one that doesn't get much love here, and it did play at Sundance, so I'm leaning slightly towards allowing it, but would like to hear some other opinions on it first.

Siddon 01-02-24 07:29 PM

“Mixed-Bag” Award of the Year

Asteroid City
Beau is Afraid
Last Voyage of the Demeter

CosmicRunaway 01-04-24 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Siddon (Post 2431125)
Last Voyage of the Demeter
Just finished watching that, and its definitely a contender for "Mixed Bag" on my list as well. I was perfectly content to watch it, but had so many "Why did/didn't they...?" moments, and there was practically no tension throughout the entire thing. Wasn't terrible, but it really felt like a missed opportunity to me.

Siddon 01-05-24 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2431514)
Just finished watching that, and its definitely a contender for "Mixed Bag" on my list as well. I was perfectly content to watch it, but had so many "Why did/didn't they...?" moments, and there was practically no tension throughout the entire thing. Wasn't terrible, but it really felt like a missed opportunity to me.

Wokism....it could have been a fantastic film had they not tried to make a period horror film diverse. But even if you are going to make it diverse don't have the black guy as the doctor...give the character a role as a worker a normal guy. But Hollywood always has to go overboard.

crumbsroom 01-05-24 10:49 AM

The first black doctor in Europe was in 1837. Dracula was written in 1897.

How dare Hollywood expose this dread secret! Black people are just supposed to be workers!

Torgo 01-05-24 10:56 AM

I agree that The Last Voyage of the Demeter could have used more tension, but I don't think the motivation to cast Corey Hawkins as the doctor was just to push a woke agenda. It does add tension by giving the less helpful members of the ship's crew another reason to not believe in him.

SpelingError 01-05-24 01:45 PM

I think woke might just be the most meaningless word in film criticism right now since it says literally nothing about a film. Either that or hipster.

Allaby 01-05-24 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by SpelingError (Post 2431680)
I think woke might just be the most meaningless word in film criticism right now since it says literally nothing about a film. Either that or hipster.
Agreed. Woke means different things to different people and is such an unhelpful word.

Siddon 01-05-24 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Torgo (Post 2431659)
I agree that The Last Voyage of the Demeter could have used more tension, but I don't think the motivation to cast Corey Hawkins as the doctor was just to push a woke agenda. It does add tension by giving the less helpful members of the ship's crew another reason to not believe in him.
To the central plot of the story...the woman found on the ship, To say well they technically had black doctors back then so it's completely believable that a random one would end up exiled looking for a way home...that's it's own story. Diverse casting in period pieces is awful, it's anarchistic and now it's becoming a cliche. The idea that positive stereotypes are okay because they well who could possible be upset about that.

The Last Voyage of the Demeter is essentially Alien at the turn of the century. Alien the same film has a diverse cast, however Ripley isn't the obvious lead in the beginning it comes over time. It's a character arc...that doesn't happen in this film. Any character could have died at any time in that film...because the point of the story is you are trapped with a monster who can kill anyone at any time. In Demeter that cast is widdled down based on how many lines they got in the first act. It's predictable and frankly cynical if we don't make Corey Hawkins some sort of exceptional unicorn then their is no way he can lead the film.

The reason why this film flopped and was nobodies favorite film of the year was because of casting agendas. The black guy in the film has to be the best human being in the cast. Film has to tell audience black guy is smartest, bravest, most competent person and you have to root for black lead. Hawkin's character didn't even have a personality it's why you don't remember the characters name, He's definable based on his race and position not who the character is as a person.

Torgo 01-05-24 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Siddon (Post 2431722)
To the central plot of the story...the woman found on the ship, To say well they technically had black doctors back then so it's completely believable that a random one would end up exiled looking for a way home...that's it's own story. Diverse casting in period pieces is awful, it's anarchistic and now it's becoming a cliche. The idea that positive stereotypes are okay because they well who could possible be upset about that.

The Last Voyage of the Demeter is essentially Alien at the turn of the century. Alien the same film has a diverse cast, however Ripley isn't the obvious lead in the beginning it comes over time. It's a character arc...that doesn't happen in this film. Any character could have died at any time in that film...because the point of the story is you are trapped with a monster who can kill anyone at any time. In Demeter that cast is widdled down based on how many lines they got in the first act. It's predictable and frankly cynical if we don't make Corey Hawkins some sort of exceptional unicorn then their is no way he can lead the film.

The reason why this film flopped and was nobodies favorite film of the year was because of casting agendas. The black guy in the film has to be the best human being in the cast. Film has to tell audience black guy is smartest, bravest, most competent person and you have to root for black lead. Hawkin's character didn't even have a personality it's why you don't remember the characters name, He's definable based on his race and position not who the character is as a person.
That the movie had the gall to
WARNING: spoilers below
kill the captain's grandson made up for the lack of tension regarding Clemens for me. I'm a tad biased since a dad, but that's pretty freaking brutal, isn't it?
I found that surprise and the uncertainty as to whether or not the crew could believe a supernatural being like a vampire exist to be decent sources of tension. Also, I believe they developed Clemens out to be more than just a token black guy. I walked away from the movie thinking about him not just as that, but as a man who values truth, knowledge and justice. I'm lukewarm on the movie on the whole and definitely do not think it's on the same level as Alien, so I'll give you that.

CosmicRunaway 01-06-24 06:03 AM

My problems with the Last Voyage of the Demeter had nothing to do with race. The main character's race had very little bearing on the actual plot, and genuinely doesn't matter to me. What bothered me about the film would've been there regardless.

WARNING: "List of questions about the film" spoilers below
Once they learned that light was Dracula's weakness, why didn't they start sleeping on deck during the day, so they could all be awake and together in a large group all night?

Why did they make a big deal out of finding out "where the devil sleeps", and then... that's it? What was the point of that if they never use it to lure Dracula? Was it just so that the main character could track the crate later?

Why was Dracula able to feed on the woman for days, but members of the crew were only good for one night? Wouldn't it make more sense to capture one, hide him in one of the crates, and continue feeding on him the same way?

What exactly was the explanation for the effectiveness of blood transfusions to combat Dracula's power over the victim being essentially random/whatever best served the plot? The boy was somehow "weaker" after being fed on once, even though the woman had been fed on multiple times?

What exactly was the Captain's plan when he tied himself to the wheel? Was he just grief stricken and insane? He seemed to have some sort of reasoning, but I couldn't make any sense of it.

Why did they still try to sink the boat after Dracula broke a hole through the grate that was supposed to keep him locked below deck? He could just fly back out. Also, that close to shore, why couldn't Dracula just fly the rest of the way? It's shown that he can fly over open water just fine when he chased after the crew member who tried to escape.

Why didn't they turn the ship so it was sailing out into the open sea as part of their plan? Letting it continue towards England and possibly run aground would not create the underwater tomb they were talking about.

I also thought the film would have more of a psychological aspect at the start, when they were still trying to figure out what's going on. More distrust, blaming each other, etc. I guess more of a And Then There Were None, but on a ship.

CosmicRunaway 01-06-24 06:08 AM

What I actually came here to ask was what's everyone's foreign film recommendations? Ideally ones that are available on streaming right now. I really want to see Kore-eda's Monster, but it won't be available online until late February.

CaptainT 01-06-24 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2431845)
What I actually came here to ask was what's everyone's foreign film recommendations? Ideally ones that are available on streaming right now. I really want to see Kore-eda's Monster, but it won't be available online until late February.
Would these be in the 2022/2023 category and be eligible for the awards?

Love According to Dalva
Return to Seoul
The Blue Caftan

If so, I would recommend them!

CosmicRunaway 01-06-24 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by CaptainT (Post 2431849)
Would these be in the 2022/2023 category and be eligible for the awards?

Love According to Dalva
Return to Seoul
The Blue Caftan

If so, I would recommend them!
Yes, they are all eligible. I'll add them to the first post as well!

Was already considering watching Return to Seoul, so I think I'll properly put it on my watchlist now. :up:

CosmicRunaway 01-09-24 10:19 AM

Well I certainly have a film to put under "Biggest Disappointment" now. Loved Barbara and Phoenix, and liked Transit well enough, but Christian Petzold's new film Afire was just... really not my cup of tea.

Now I'm also a little worried about Monster, so I think maybe I should temper my expectations lol.

ScarletLion 01-09-24 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Siddon (Post 2431650)
But even if you are going to make it diverse don't have the black guy as the doctor...give the character a role as a worker a normal guy. .
Sorry.......what?

ScarletLion 01-09-24 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2431845)
What I actually came here to ask was what's everyone's foreign film recommendations?
Monster is amazing. In additions to the ones mentioned, I enjoyed these ones this year:

Anatomy fo a Fall
Close
Safe Place
The Eight Mountains
Godland
Saint Omer
Riceboy Sleeps
Tori and Lokita
Joyland
No Bears
20,000 species of bees
RMN
Sick of Myself
Leila's Brothers
Pamfir
Return to Seoul
White Paradise
El Conde
Klondike
Afire
Unclenching the Fists
Pasages
Nostalgia
One Fine Morning
Prison 77
Burning Days

CosmicRunaway 01-18-24 12:28 PM

I started to watch El Conde, but did not expect the English narration, and had to double check to make sure I wasn't watching the wrong version haha.

CosmicRunaway 01-26-24 10:48 AM

I've been focusing on watching noirs for the upcoming Countdown, but I think I'm going to go back and forth between noirs and 2023 films for the next little while so I don't get tried of the one genre.

Not sure where I want to start on my watchlist though. Feel like I should watch Killers of the Flower Moon, but that runtime really seems intimidating.

I remember when the paperback version of the book came out, and suddenly the title kept scanning for different areas of the store, like it couldn't decide if it wanted to be American History, True Crime, or General History, and it didn't always scan in the same location as the hardcover. That's the first thing I think about whenever anyone mentions the movie lol. Should definitely change that.

mrblond 01-26-24 12:01 PM

I still haven't seen some of the nominated for Golden Globe and Oscar, will try to do it till the deadline.
So far, my likes of 2023 which I recommend:

Anatomie d'une chute [Anatomy of a Fall]
Asteroid City
Coup de chance
Inside
Killers of the Flower Moon
Past Lives
The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar (short)

ScarletLion 01-29-24 11:29 AM

Can somebody tell me if I will be able to vote for the following films in next years MOFO awards? Becasue where I live they were released in 2024, not 2023:

All of Us Strangers
The Zone of Interest
Monster
All Dirt Roads Taste of Salt
El Capitano

CosmicRunaway 01-30-24 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by ScarletLion (Post 2435908)
Can somebody tell me if I will be able to vote for the following films in next years MOFO awards? Becasue where I live they were released in 2024, not 2023:
If any of them are nominated and make it into the voting round this year, then they are ineligible next year. If they are nominated but do not make it into the next round, they can still be nominated next year since they are all arguably 2023/2024 films.

Zone of Interest was nominated for a number of Oscars though, so it'll probably make a showing here as well. I can see Monster making our awards too - or at least I hope it does.

If you really like any of the films you listed, I'd suggest nominating them now if you have room for them, just in case they get close to making it through but end up just short of votes. There's no guarantee that they won't be overlooked or have even more competition next year if they miss out now.

CosmicRunaway 01-30-24 07:02 PM

Would anyone be upset if I put the dog from Anatomy of a Fall on my ballot as Best Supporting Actor?

(this is mainly a joke, but like, I'm sure those of you who have seen the film know what scene made me think that)

rauldc14 01-30-24 07:10 PM

I'm ok with it!

CosmicRunaway 02-08-24 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2431061)
I've only seen like 18 films from 2023, and one of them was a short film lol. I barely watched any movies in the last like... half of the year or more.
I've managed to double this number now while also watching noirs for the upcoming Countdown, but still feel like I've hardly seen any films from last year.

The other day I added Suzume to the list of 2022/2023 films in the first post. I haven't seen it yet, but it kept coming up when I was looking for what animated films I might want to watch. For the animation category, I've only seen Nimona and Mario so far, but I plan to watch the Boy and the Heron when it comes to streaming as well, assuming that's sometime soon.

CosmicRunaway 02-20-24 03:20 AM

There is one month left to get those nominations in!

Now that I'm almost done with my lists for the double noir Countdowns, it's back to 2023 films for me. Some of the films I wanted to watch haven't been released on streaming yet though. Hopefully they pop up sometime in the next few weeks.

CosmicRunaway 02-23-24 06:39 PM

Added Enys Men to the 2022/2023 list, which I just watched.

Didn't love it, but it did have some interesting sound design.

LAMb EELYAK 02-25-24 02:04 PM

It's the wrong time to bring this up, but does anyone else like the idea of a Best Character award for the future?

CosmicRunaway 02-29-24 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by LAMb EELYAK (Post 2441417)
It's the wrong time to bring this up, but does anyone else like the idea of a Best Character award for the future?
Would've responded to this sooner but for some reason I completely missed this post.

I think there's already too many categories, and I imagine there would probably be a lot of overlap between Best Actor/Actress and Best Character anyway. I doubt there would be many instances where someone loves a character, but doesn't like the actor's performance. That's just my opinion though, I'm open to hearing others.

CosmicRunaway 03-01-24 04:23 PM

I haven't yet seen any 2023 films I absolutely loved, but also I don't think I really hated anything either. No strong opinions one way or the other, which might make it more difficult to find films for my ballot. Anyone else having that problem?

LAMb EELYAK 03-02-24 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2442358)
Would've responded to this sooner but for some reason I completely missed this post.

I think there's already too many categories, and I imagine there would probably be a lot of overlap between Best Actor/Actress and Best Character anyway. I doubt there would be many instances where someone loves a character, but doesn't like the actor's performance. That's just my opinion though, I'm open to hearing others.

Fair enough. To me, they are different enough. I was thinking about this last year (can't remember whether it was my idea or someone else's), when I probably would have nominated, off the top of my head, Lydia Tar, Albus Dumbledore, and Marcel the Shell. Now Cate Blanchett was obviously a strong contender, but Jude Law and Jenny Slate were never going to win awards for those roles. Though I suppose with twenty slots over four categories for actors, the top five characters are likely to be well represented. Anyway, just wanted to get the question out there while it was still in my brain.

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2442646)
I haven't yet seen any 2023 films I absolutely loved, but also I don't think I really hated anything either. No strong opinions one way or the other, which might make it more difficult to find films for my ballot. Anyone else having that problem?

Yep.

mrblond 03-05-24 05:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I almost finalized all needed 2023 views and I'm almost ready with the ballot.
Now, I'm just desperately in search for the Aki Kaurismäki's Fallen Leaves to fully complete the foreign language section.

ScarletLion 03-05-24 06:22 AM

FYI: Films like The Zone of Interest, Poor Things, Fallen Leaves and Perfect Days will be in my next years list as it was well into 2024 when they were released here.

Thursday Next 03-05-24 03:18 PM

I always see the film year as running from March to February... Anything released in Jan/Feb basically counts as the previous year.

CosmicRunaway 03-05-24 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Thursday Next (Post 2443566)
I always see the film year as running from March to February
A lot of businesses seem to have fiscal years like that.

For me, I think it's kind of the opposite. Anything that released theatrically in December 2023 might as well be considered a 2024 film, especially since it's probably not going to get a wide streaming release until later in the spring, or even not until the summer.

Tugg 03-05-24 04:32 PM

I consider movie release year to be US wide theatrical or internet release, since US is the biggest market and it is most usual for movies to be released there first.

ScarletLion 03-06-24 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2442646)
I'm having the opposite problem. I've seen so many amazing 2023 films that I am having trouble selecting which ones should come 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc. It truly was a terrific year for film

So I'm just being uber harsh and selecting just one fo each award category.

Allaby 03-06-24 10:58 AM

Ballot submitted! ☺️

ScarletLion 03-06-24 11:50 AM

Ever since I've joined this forum, years ago, the MOFO awards have consistently been far better than most of the actual big awards dished out in real life! I always look forward to this thread and the winners announcement. I think it shows the breadth of affection the users of this site have for film, and when there are no external factors or ulterior motives to vote for particular films then a more truer picture materialises of the best films of the year.

I'm hoping this year will be no different .

CosmicRunaway 03-10-24 11:32 AM

Some of the films I've been wanting to watch still aren't on streaming, and given that the deadline for nominations is in 10 days, I probably won't be watching many more films, and should probably start working on my ballot and getting the spreadsheets ready.

Originally Posted by ScarletLion (Post 2443716)
I'm having the opposite problem. I've seen so many amazing 2023 films that I am having trouble selecting which ones should come 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc. It truly was a terrific year for film.
Maybe my depression is just showing its head then haha.

Originally Posted by ScarletLion (Post 2443754)
Ever since I've joined this forum, years ago, the MOFO awards have consistently been far better than most of the actual big awards dished out in real life! I always look forward to this thread and the winners announcement. I think it shows the breadth of affection the users of this site have for film
This was really well said, and is the main reason why I really wanted to revive the Awards. I always looked forward to them myself, and there are almost always some lesser-known or underappreciated films that make their way into the categories, and it's refreshing to see that.

There haven't been many lists submitted yet, but I hope now that everyone is done is watching noirs in preparation for the twin Countdowns, we'll see some more 2023 ballots coming in.

Thursday Next 03-10-24 04:35 PM

Sent my ballot in :)

CosmicRunaway 03-13-24 06:28 AM

There is just one week left left to get your nominations in!

Remember: you're not allowed to complain about the finalists if you don't submit a ballot! :p

seanc 03-13-24 12:50 PM

Sent my list. Compiling made me think I am going to change the way I log my watches going forward. Things like score and specific scenes are very hard for me to recall. Damn memory.

CosmicRunaway 03-13-24 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 2445717)
Things like score and specific scenes are very hard for me to recall. Damn memory.
Yeah, score's usually a tough one for me. The only film I remember any music from at all this year is Barbie, and that's mainly because of that Ken song. :lol:

seanc 03-13-24 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2445859)
Yeah, score's usually a tough one for me. The only film I remember any music from at all this year is Barbie, and that's mainly because of that Ken song. :lol:
What frustrates me is when other people talk about movies and bring up things they love, and I’m like, yeah, I loved that too but didn’t remember it till you brought it up. Oh well, more important things in life than being smart. At least I’m really really ridiculously good looking. ;)

CosmicRunaway 03-13-24 07:29 PM

Just finalized my own list. I usually try to see around 50 films before the deadline, and I made it to 44 this time. I was going to wait until the weekend, but I doubt any of the films I've been wanting to see will become available in the next few days.

Looking forward to taking a closer look at the other submitted lists tomorrow, now that my own is locked in. It might still be too early to tell if there are any surprises in store, but I also like to see how the favourites sometimes change as more nominations come in.

LAMb EELYAK 03-16-24 03:53 PM

Submitted. Thanks for doing this again, Cosmic!

sawduck 03-16-24 07:51 PM

My nominations have been submitted, it's been a pretty good year for films. Thanks for hosting this Cosmic, you deserve an award yourself

CosmicRunaway 03-17-24 05:08 AM

Thanks for the kind words! <3 And thank you guys for participating!

CosmicRunaway 03-17-24 07:06 AM

There are only 3 days left to get your nominations in!

I'm going to tag people who submitted lists last year just in case they overlooked the thread this year or need a reminder about the deadline:
@ApexPredator @Harry Lime @Holden Pike @John-Connor @Iroquois
@PHOENIX74 @rauldc14 @Siddon @TheUsualSuspect @Torgo

And I can never seem to properly tag @Frightened Inmate No. 2; but I'll try anyway.

John-Connor 03-17-24 07:17 AM

I was waiting for Gojira Minus One to become 'digitally available' but doesn't look like it will before deadline, so I'll submit my noms tonight. Thanks for the reminder Cosmic. 👍

Lemme try this.. @Frightened Inmate No. 2

CosmicRunaway 03-17-24 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by John-Connor (Post 2446883)
I was waiting for Gojira Minus One to become 'digitally available' but doesn't look like it will before deadline
That was originally my plan as well. Been really wanting to see that, but it barely played here in theatres, and I've been stuck waiting for the digital release. The Boy and the Heron is in a similar boat. I lost hope last week though lol

Harry Lime 03-17-24 10:47 AM

Okay I sent something in. I do think there are too many categories. Just saying. Maybe it seems overwhelming.

CosmicRunaway 03-17-24 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Harry Lime (Post 2446909)
I do think there are too many categories.
I think that pretty much every year haha.

Maybe for 2024 we should change things up a bit, and slim down the categories a little? I don't think we need both a "Funniest Scene" and "Memorable Scene" to start, just a general one would do. For me, I feel like there's also a lot of mental overlap between "Biggest Surprise" and "Most Underrated", as well as between "Biggest Disappointment" and "Most Overrated".

Would love to hear people's opinions on this, so don't be afraid to speak up!

seanc 03-17-24 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2446919)
For me, I feel like there's also a lot of mental overlap between "Biggest Surprise" and "Most Underrated", as well as between "Biggest Disappointment" and "Most Overrated".
Agree with this 100%. I only do one or the other

seanc 03-17-24 11:08 AM

I would be tempted to lose Foreign Language as well. Mofo is smart enough to consider all films together.

rauldc14 03-17-24 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2446880)
There are only 3 days left to get your nominations in!

I'm going to tag people who submitted lists last year just in case they overlooked the thread this year or need a reminder about the deadline:
@ApexPredator @Harry Lime @Holden Pike @John-Connor @Iroquois
@PHOENIX74 @rauldc14 @Siddon @TheUsualSuspect @Torgo

And I can never seem to properly tag @Frightened Inmate No. 2; but I'll try anyway.
Thanks for reminder. I'll send tomorrow

Harry Lime 03-17-24 11:37 AM

Yeah I think we can cut the number of categories in half, or close to half. My recommendation for next year anyway.

We can lose foreign language but I think you can also take the 5 picks for the best film of the year and expand it so that people submit their top 10s for the year. Most of us have this ready anyway and it's kind of the standard for critics and movie nerds.

Thursday Next 03-17-24 01:48 PM

I don't think we need both most memorable and funniest scene. I agree there's a lot of crossover between worst film, overrated and biggest disappointment. I'm not sure the over/underrated categories add much at all.

Increasing the best film nominees to 10 in line with the Oscars is a good shout.

I'm in favour of keeping the foreign language category though.

LAMb EELYAK 03-17-24 01:53 PM

Maybe for 2024 we should change things up a bit, and slim down the categories a little? I don't think we need both a "Funniest Scene" and "Memorable Scene" to start, just a general one would do. For me, I feel like there's also a lot of mental overlap between "Biggest Surprise" and "Most Underrated", as well as between "Biggest Disappointment" and "Most Overrated".

I submitted all different scenes for "Funniest" and "Memorable", but I admit it was difficult to think of them all.

I only submitted one of the same movies in "Disappointment" and "Overrated".

LAMb EELYAK 03-17-24 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Thursday Next (Post 2446977)
Increasing the best film nominees to 10 in line with the Oscars is a good shout.

This would be cool and fairly easy, I think. Actually, if I remember correctly, we do get 10 nominees here, but each voter only gets to submit five.

CosmicRunaway 03-17-24 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by LAMb EELYAK (Post 2446981)
This would be cool and fairly easy, I think. Actually, if I remember correctly, we do get 10 nominees here, but each voter only gets to submit five.
Yeah, currently voters submit 5 picks, and the top 10 make it through for Best Film of the Year. The other categories are top 5, unless there are ties.

Not sure if allowing 10 nominations for Best Film would make much of a difference, since it might just lead to a wider spread of films that only 1 person votes for. Last year there were 45 films nominated in that category, and 30 of them weren't repeats on anyone else's ballot.

ApexPredator 03-17-24 07:17 PM

I mean...I can try by the deadline. But I'm not gonna have a complete ballot by any means.

Multiple categories might have 0-1 nominees from me.

John-Connor 03-17-24 07:42 PM

@ Reducing the categories, I would pick one/some of these: "Most Overrated", "Biggest Surprise", "Funniest Scene", "Memorable Scene", "Most Underrated", "Biggest Disappointment", "Mixed Bag".

And a "Best Stand Up Comedy" category would be a welcome addition for me.

PHOENIX74 03-17-24 11:24 PM

Sent my ballot in. Although I got to see a fair few 2023 films last year, my viewing wasn't as comprehensive as it was in 2022 - I look forward to playing catch up once all of the nominations are in. I had a good time doing that last year.

SpelingError 03-18-24 12:10 AM

As usual, it will likely take at least a full year till I feel confident on a top 10, so I won't send a ballot in, but I'm curious what the results will be.

stillmellow 03-18-24 12:52 AM

I think you've nailed it. I'm completely fine with having a lot of categories, but there is indeed a lot of overlap here. Especially:

Underrated = Biggest Surprise

Disappointment = Overrated

stillmellow 03-18-24 12:59 AM

I might be a bit biased, but I think instead of the 2-3 categories with a lot of overlap, it might be fun to have a Scariest movie category, or best Villian category. Just a thought.

CosmicRunaway 03-18-24 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by ApexPredator (Post 2447044)
Multiple categories might have 0-1 nominees from me.
There's nothing wrong with that. Giving a little boost to just your favourite films might help them get enough points to make it.

CosmicRunaway 03-19-24 09:47 AM

The deadline is tomorrow!

Though when I go to work Thursday morning, it'll still be Wednesday in the western-most timezones, so I'll be accepting ballots until I get home from work on Thursday (around 9am eastern time)

CosmicRunaway 03-20-24 10:13 AM

Today is the last day to get nominations in!
You have about ~24 hours left to send me your ballots via PM!

Remember: you don't need to vote in every category, and you don't need to choose 5 nominations for each one either. Partial ballots are totally fine, and your top choices will still receive the full 5 points.

Assuming nothing unexpected happens, the finalists will be revealed on Friday.

CosmicRunaway 03-21-24 03:12 AM

Currently only 3 ballots shy of how many I received last year, so it's nice to see this didn't have a huge drop in interest! <3

Thank you to everyone who submitted their nominations! And if anyone's still waiting, I'm heading to work now so feel free to sneak a list into my inbox before I get home.

CosmicRunaway 03-21-24 10:24 AM

Alright, I've got some math to do, and then double check. After dinner I'll get all the images ready. Thread will probably be up around this time tomorrow.