Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Movie Reviews (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Rear Window (1954) - A Club Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=48616)

seanc 03-15-17 05:26 PM

Rear Window (1954) - A Club Discussion

seanc 03-15-17 05:28 PM

Re: Rear Window (1954)- A Club Discussion

I will write something in a couple days Mofo. Got a kid under the weather and it's been a long week. Wanted to get thread up in case some of you were waiting on it.

Camo 03-15-17 05:30 PM

I'll probably see this Sunday or Monday. Looking forward to it and everyone elses thoughts.

MovieMeditation 03-15-17 05:43 PM

Oh here we go!!! :up:

Will rewatch and review in the coming days...

Yoda 03-15-17 05:48 PM

Yeah, great excuse to rewatch this one! Hopefully in the next few days.

rauldc14 03-15-17 10:33 PM

I love Hitchcock films, but Rear Window is easily my number 1 from him. Look forward to yet another watch!

MovieMeditation 03-16-17 02:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Rolled out my beloved box set and got the disc ready to play. I'll probably revisit this tonight. :up:

MovieMeditation 03-16-17 06:44 PM

REAR WINDOW

https://i.imgur.com/CA1ezhc.jpg

This is more quick thoughts than a proper review, but I'd rather want something "out there" than none so I'm properly a part of this delightful discussion thread. I'm pretty sure this is only my second watch, but I'm not sure. Anyways, I walked away last time hailing this as a total masterpiece and gave it a full house. This time I'm not as generous...

Now, first off, let's go around to the rear first... the last act is great. Classic Hitchcock, for all the good and bad. It's tense, terrifying, exciting and well directed, edited and put together. If there are flaws to find here it's not unlike any other flaws you might find in his other films and Hitch is one of my all time favorites, so I'm not one to be bothered one bit. As for everything that comes before it though, unforturnately, the pace and length through most of the movie is definitely flawed, though far from fatally so. Most people would probably go on about how it is perfectly paced and balanced and slowly builds its setting, characters and story, in which there is no mistake or mishap that is not meant to be and every beat is spot on in stucture and placement, until we reach the ultimate climax. But for me, the pacing is a little off and a little slow and the information we get is not perfectly put forward, build or structured. The inventive setting is both its greatest strength and weakness - yet it shouldn't directly hinter the movie from still being tense, tight and carefully constructed to perfectionism throughout. Using only one setting shouldn't be a problem; something I recall Dial M for Murder proved really well, despite a few selected scenes outside of the apartment.

But as I said, the movie is a little wobbly and sometimes weirdly put together, for example with fade outs happening here and there, where not nearly every one feeling natural or needed. Together with how the plot is put together, it makes the movie feel slightly jumbled on the inside, even though the rest of the movie is really well made which makes every mishap be quickly forgotten about. The whole experimental execution of this one-set location is almost executed too perfectly as well, since all the other apartments constantly gives us something interesting to watch and think about, which makes the viewer curious and/or invested, as they should, and this sometimes holds back the actual main plot of the possible murder from feeling front and center and truly confrontive to the audience. It's also "just another window" for a long time and never truly grabs you until late in the movie. Of course, we are supposed to feel and view everything from Stewart's point of view and line of thought, and to him, this IS just another window until stuff starts happening and there is no reason to point fingers until you got something. That said, he does begin to wonder quite early on, yet I never felt as obsessed and on the edge of my chair, as Stewart's character seemed to be; but I rolled with him well enough. Get it? Uh, anyways...

The movie is generally well written, but despite some of the dialogue feeling like some pretty good extended character development, a lot of it feels unneccessary to the story and at least makes you think this movie didn't need go be almost two hours long. Anyways, I don't want to sound like I dislike the movie, because I don't. Not at all. It's enjoyable and fun and holds a lot of classic elements, while feeling like something new, different and daring as well, which is also a classic Hitch thing to do - always push the boundaries of cinema... but when pushing the boundaries actually means putting up boundaries it does become a tough task to perfect. It's technically well done, its got good acting, it's mostly fascinating while never feeling completely absorbing to me and it does have a great finale to pull everything up that nextra notch. I love the film, but it's not my favorite Hitchcock... and until I rewatch Dial M for Murder to be sure where I stand, Vertigo is probably my favorite for now, of the ones I have watched twice or more at least.

Camo 03-16-17 07:08 PM

Haven't read that yet coz i don't want to be aware that i'm repeating something you said after i rewatch it haha. Glad someone got started tho :up:

HashtagBrownies 03-16-17 08:52 PM

It's a great film. I like how you see a wide environment but 98% of it is seen from a small little window. The only thing that annoyed me was at the end when everyone's running out of their apartments. You can see that it was obviously sped up in post and it looks really cheesy. Also I don't care you any of you say, Rope is my favourite Hitchcock movie!

seanc 03-16-17 10:31 PM

Rear Window

This is definitely my favorite Hitchcock. I am pretty sure I love it for all the reasons Movie Med thinks it has cracks. I love the intimacy of it and the time it spends with the characters. I have said when talking about other Hitch film that he is the king of set-up. This film is like an hour and a half of set-up and I love every minute of it. I love how we see so much of the irrelevant windows. Ms. Lonely Hearts and Ms. Torso are as much a part of this film as Thorwald. Plot is secondary to them here and I think the movie is better for it. In fact I feel so strongly about it that I think the movie would be a bit better thematically if the ending went the other way. It's a small point of contention but I think it could have worked well.

All the characters are great. I love Stella and Doyle and the small time we spend with them. Of course the scenes between Jeff and Lisa are the best and what makes this film one of the greats. I know I am 41 and not supposed to have school boy crushes but I am quite certain I am in love with Grace Kelly. It's not my fault, she is spectacular. An easy

mark f 03-16-17 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 1669722)
I know I am 41 and not supposed to have school boy crushes but I am quite certain I am in love with Grace Kelly. It's not my fault, she is spectacular.
Get in line.

Cobpyth 03-16-17 11:33 PM

In fact I feel so strongly about it that I think the movie would be a bit better thematically if the ending went the other way. It's a small point of contention but I think it could have worked well.
The other way as in: there wasn't really a murder?

Camo 03-16-17 11:35 PM

I would have preferred there not be a murder too. Can't really say why though, i'll see if i still think that after i've rewatched it and if so i'll try and explain it.

seanc 03-17-17 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Cobpyth (Post 1669822)
The other way as in: there wasn't really a murder?
Yeah, what do you think?

TheUsualSuspect 03-17-17 08:30 AM

Of the few Hitchcock films I've seen, this one is my favourite (so far).

Great suspense, masterful framing, gorgeous set design, a beautiful Grace Kelly and an engaging murder mystery plot. All are key elements for a successful film. They did a semi-remake with Disturbia, starring Shia Labeouf, yet that one is limited and dated by the modern technology they use. The kid in that film is under house arrest and must wear an ankle monitor. In a few years, people might question what the hell is attached to his ankle.

A broken leg, is a broken leg. You're not going anywhere.

It also adds to the suspense and sense of dread when the protagonist can't really defend himself. Labeouf can run around the house and hide, Stewart cannot.

I still find the blinding of the camera flash to be a bit comical and wish Hitchcock didn't leave the apartment for that one shot, but this is an otherwise masterfully crafted film.

Cobpyth 03-17-17 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 1670040)
Yeah, what do you think?
It's an interesting proposal, but I would probably keep the murder in. It gives the film a certain extra weight and it's also a necessary plot point in order to help develop the relationship between Grace Kelly and James Stewart, which is perhaps the most interesting substantive aspect of the film during rewatches.
I do sympathize with your assessment that the allround atmosphere that gets created simply through the observation of the environment is one of the film's greatest and most durable strengths. I'm comfortable with it being a very rich background to this murder story, though. It doesn't need to be the absolute essence of the whole film for me.

I'd also recommend you all to listen to the Hitchcock/Truffaut interview about this film. Apart from perhaps the discussion about Vertigo, it's probably the best one they did.

seanc 03-17-17 09:55 AM

@TheUsualSuspect I agree about the bulb scene being pretty silly. Remonds me a bit of the dream sequence of Vertigo.

rauldc14 03-17-17 10:07 AM

I love Rear Window, and I'm also one of the few who really like Disturbia too.

Sedai 03-17-17 10:19 AM

Fantastic film, with plenty of implications in regards to voyeurism, cinema, and entertainment. One of Hitchcock's best, and the cast is perfect. Love Rear Window.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-zGu9cV9xe1...25281%2529.png

seanc 03-17-17 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Cobpyth (Post 1670069)
It's an interesting proposal, but I would probably keep the murder in. It gives the film a certain extra weight and it's also a necessary plot point in order to help develop the relationship between Grace Kelly and James Stewart, which is perhaps the most interesting substantive aspect of the film during rewatches.
Interesting because I feel the exact opposite in regards to the weight the ending carries. Jeff is an extremely sympathetic character despite being quite the creeper. This ending lets him off the hook completely so the viewer never again has to decide if his peeping is justified. It is because the real bad guy is caught. If there is no murder we would be left with very mixed feelings about Jeff. I think that would carry much more weight.

Small gripe, I love the movie and everything leading up to that apartment confrontation is aces. Just something that occured to me this time through.

rauldc14 03-17-17 10:59 AM

The film is flawless.

That is all.

But really, I'll watch it again soon.

Cobpyth 03-17-17 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 1670087)
Interesting because I feel the exact opposite in regards to the weight the ending carries. Jeff is an extremely sympathetic character despite being quite the creeper. This ending lets him off the hook completely so the viewer never again has to decide if his peeping is justified. It is because the real bad guy is caught. If there is no murder we would be left with very mixed feelings about Jeff. I think that would carry much more weight.
I feel like the confrontation at the end could be interpreted as a form of punishment for his peeping. You pay a price if you get into other people's private business, especially if you discover things that the daylight can't stand. In that moment when Stewart realizes the killer is coming for him, the viewer identifies with him and undoubtedly feels a certain fear and therefore also regret towards the causes of that fear, which is a much stronger emotion than simply feeling a bit ambiguous and morally challenged about having peeped without any real consequences.
He isn't really let off the hook if you look at it from that perspective.

Cole416 03-17-17 11:42 AM

Re: Rear Window (1954) - A Club Discussion

I'm gonna be honest i've been away for the "club discussions" but im guessing that I can put my opinion here

Rear Window is my favorite Hitchcock. I thought it was amazing while Psycho was just good. Kelly is so great. I'd probably give it a
+

MovieMeditation 03-17-17 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Cole416 (Post 1670110)
I'm gonna be honest i've been away for the "club discussions" but im guessing that I can put my opinion here

Rear Window is my favorite Hitchcock. I thought it was amazing while Psycho was just good. Kelly is so great. I'd probably give it a
+
Cole back. :cool:

Louise1956 03-19-17 03:56 AM

i quite like it, though it's not one of my favourites. My favourite bit is the ending, where Grace Kelly puts down the improving book Stewart has tried to get her to read and picks up Vogue.

Cobpyth 03-22-17 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Louise1956 (Post 1671106)
i quite like it, though it's not one of my favourites. My favourite bit is the ending, where Grace Kelly puts down the improving book Stewart has tried to get her to read and picks up Vogue.
Fantastic ending indeed. Truffaut called it a potentially pessimistic and cynical one, but I think it's more a moment of playful realism.

rauldc14 03-22-17 10:12 PM

I just watched it again today. Im kind of disappointed that people think the weak part of the film is the ending, because for me, the last twenty minutes are the most tense. Stewart and Grace Kelly make the perfect pair in this film, and Thelma Ritter is great too. I love the setting of the film and the fact that we only see things from Stewart's living place. It helps to build the tension of the film. Obviously, this is one of the best films of all time.

seanc 03-23-17 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Louise1956 (Post 1671106)
Makes me laugh every time. I love that.

rauldc14 03-23-17 08:16 AM

I think Grace Kelly is one of my favorite female performances of all time. Just her presence alone in the film makes it worth watching.

Jeff Costello 03-23-17 08:48 AM

I've watched Rear Window last weekend and did a small write-up on it in my diary thread, but forgot to post it here.

Here's a link for interested ---- https://www.movieforums.com/communit...t=48322&page=3

seanc 03-23-17 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 1673747)
I think Grace Kelly is one of my favorite female performances of all time. Just her presence alone in the film makes it worth watching.
Agreed. I said I was in love with her when I watched it.

Citizen Rules 03-23-17 03:45 PM

Rear Window

I watched it last night:p This was the second time I've seen Rear Window and I had forgotten everything about it, so I'm glad this was on the Hitch watch list.

So some of you think the ending was weak. The ending worked for me because it seemed to flow out of the previous scenes and happened quite naturally. It never felt tacked on or rushed. I liked it.

Though my favorite scene was the establishing shot starting in the apartment - with the blinds up, the blinds go down - the camera zooms out the window, peeping into the lives of the other apartment's rear windows...finally the camera comes back in and we see it's hot! Stewart is sweating bullets! and the mercury in the thermometer is rising, really rising! Then we see Stewart frantically trying to itch his leg in the cast.

That's all brilliantly done as it gives us the feeling of what it's like to be trapped in an apartment, stuck in a wheel chair, bored as hell, while sweltering in the heat...This then drives the story forward and sets the tone, which tells us that being a peeping-tom voyeur is not a healthy hobby! Which is the theme of the movie.

James Stewart is perfect in this role. He's one of my all time favorite actors and is cast well here. And big kudos to a great actress, Thelma Ritter. I loved the scene they shared together at the start of the movie. This is when we learn of Stewart's philosophy on marriage and life. It's a very well written script too. And I just got through watching a short interview with the script writer John Michael Hayes.

I liked Grace Kelly in this, OK. She's better here than in Dial M for Murder. Even the scriptwriter John Michael Hayes, said she was stiff in Dial M. She's certainly pretty and very fashionable too. I'd say her best quality is her poise. You guys will probably kick me out of the Hitch Club:cool: but I think she was the weak point in the movie.

I'm not a fan of Hitch's trick photography, like the glowing effect of the bulb or the blue screen fall of James Stewart. I think that takes away from the rest of the film. Hitch is the master of entertainment films, but the more I watch and rewatch his films, I realize they were the blockbuster CG movie of his day. Now I'm really kicked out of the club:eek:

rauldc14 03-23-17 03:47 PM

Oh no, no way was Grace the weak point. She's as classy as they came back then.

Citizen Rules 03-23-17 03:50 PM

She was classy alright! (I just don't like her acting) but yeah she's got poise and class that's for sure. And she looked great especially in the white tool dress with the black top, and the light green one too. She looked like she stepped off the cover of a fashion magazine.

rauldc14 03-23-17 03:53 PM

It was her best role. It's sad that her film career was quite a short one.

rauldc14 03-23-17 03:56 PM

And yes, CR I love the set up scene too. I think it helps give the film a bit of context and makes it feel as if it will narrow the world in context to the story.

Citizen Rules 03-23-17 03:58 PM

Have you seen her in The Country Girl that's my favorite performace by hers. She won an Oscar for Best Actress in that movie. It's a real good movie too. Check out if you haven't seen it.

Camo 03-23-17 04:04 PM

I agree with Citizen. Grace is stunning of course but i'm not a fan of her performance. I'm going to make sure to rewatch this before the next one starts and i'll go into why if i still feel the same.

rauldc14 03-23-17 04:07 PM

I haven't seen Country Girl but I certainly have to.

Jeff Costello 03-23-17 04:39 PM

Grace did just alright, but didn't really do anything to impress me. Still her presence cannot be understated. She really oozed elegance.

Jeff Costello 03-23-17 04:49 PM

Cool piece of trivia on Rear Window ... I also really liked that scene.

"According to Georgine Darcy, the scene in which the man and woman on the fire escape struggle in their attempt to get in out of the rain can be attributed to a prank by Alfred Hitchcock. Each actor in the apartment complex facing Jeff's rear window wore an earpiece through which they could receive Hitchcock's directions. Hitchcock told the man to pull the mattress in one direction and told the woman to pull in the opposite direction. Unaware that they had received conflicting directions, the couple began to fight and struggle to get the mattress inside once the crew began filming the scene. The resulting mayhem in which one of the couple is tossed inside the window with the mattress provided humor and a sense of authenticity to the scene which Hitchcock liked. He was so pleased with the result that he did not order another take."

Citizen Rules 03-23-17 05:16 PM

I just now read the other reviews, some comments:p
....I love how we see so much of the irrelevant windows. Ms. Lonely Hearts and Ms. Torso are as much a part of this film as Thorwald. Plot is secondary to them here and I think the movie is better for it. In fact I feel so strongly about it that I think the movie would be a bit better thematically if the ending went the other way. It's a small point of contention but I think it could have worked well....
I like what you said about the characters in the rear windows being more important than the overall plot. I like the ending but I could see it going the other way too, which reinforces the idea that pepping is wrong.

Originally Posted by Cobpyth (Post 1670107)
I feel like the confrontation at the end could be interpreted as a form of punishment for his peeping. You pay a price if you get into other people's private business,...
I liked that. And Thelma Ritter does take a dim view of Stewart's peeping and even mentions he could be in for jail time as a peeping tom. Certainly the script has that in mind, I'm not so sure Hitch did or not?

seanc 03-23-17 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1674187)
I liked that. And Thelma Ritter does take a dim view of Stewart's peeping and even mentions he could be in for jail time as a peeping tom. Certainly the script has that in mind, I'm not so sure Hitch did or not?
I want to keep the conversation going so I am going to push back on this a tad again to see what you think Citizen. She mentions it, the detctive tells him he needs to knock it off, and Kelly's charcter is beginning to be annoyed by it. We are beginning to see some repercussions for his actions even if it is just a bit. All that goes away as soon as the characters know he was right. Stewart even has a line that says as much to the detective. Any negativety they had towards his actions vanish. If he has Kelly and Ritter do what they end up doing and there is no murder. Boom, instant repercussions for his actions throughout the movie. I would leave it open ended, but there is even a possibility he loses his girl over it.

Now let me say this isn't Psycho. I mostly love the end of this film. I love Ritter and Kelly sneaking around and I adore that final scene. Just playing devil's advocate because I do feel one of the greatest movies ever could be even better.

Cobpyth 03-23-17 11:47 PM

I don't agree, @seanc. That approach would take away a layer of depth that is essential to the film, in my opinion.
To me, it would be like the Mexican kid in Touch of Evil actually being non-guilty instead of guilty. It takes away the ambiguity of the central sin that's being committed. I don't want a film that is obviously anti-peeping. I want a film that makes the peeper sympathetic and makes him save the day. It's way more interesting and opens up many more questions than the former example.

Citizen Rules 03-24-17 12:01 AM

I liked the ending pretty well, but after reading Sean's post earlier, I decided I liked his version of leaving the murder, or no murder, up in the air. I mean the beginning of the film really sets it up that James Stewart is obsessed. It's almost like Hitch is saying he's crazy from the heat and the boredom. So I thought that's how it would end with Stewart being the antagonist. I just read this bit of trivia:
In an interview with Peter Bogdanovich, Alfred Hitchcock claimed that he felt a bit of sympathy with all of the antagonists of his films. He said that he felt particularly sympathetic toward Thorwald, who was minding his own, albeit murderous, business before Jeff interfered. Hitchcock went on to say that he hoped the audience would share his sympathy during the confrontation between Thorwald and Jeff, when Thorwald asks him what he wanted and why he was doing this, while Jeff remains silent. Hitchcock concluded by saying "during that moment it makes one think, 'you know, he's really kind of a bastard.'
And that worked on me, the way the confrontation scene was done, I felt sympathy for Throwald (Raymond Burr) for a few seconds before he grabs Stewart.

I do think Stewart's character is presented to us as somewhat of a dubious character. I mean he won't even marry Grace Kelly! So yeah if I had Hitch's ear during production I would go with the ambiguous ending.

seanc 03-24-17 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Cobpyth (Post 1674531)
I don't agree, @seanc. That approach would take away a layer of depth that is essential to the film, in my opinion.
To me, it would be like the Mexican kid in Touch of Evil actually being non-guilty instead of guilty. It takes away the ambiguity of the central sin that's being committed. I don't want a film that is obviously anti-peeping. I want a film that makes the peeper sympathetic and makes him save the day. It's way more interesting and opens up many more questions than the former example.
Well you know, if you feel like you should take Hitch's side over me I guess there is a bit of evidence you are backing the right horse. :p

rauldc14 03-24-17 12:39 PM

Rear Window could be even better? Well, perhaps it could have been a tad longer :cool:

rauldc14 03-30-17 02:47 PM

Where is the North by Northwest thread?

rambond 03-30-17 02:59 PM

this is the least one i liked in the list of 5 films:
1-psycho
2-north by northwest
3-vertigo
4-to catch a thief
5-rear window

seanc 03-31-17 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 1678897)
Where is the North by Northwest thread?
Coming tonight. I apologize. I have already watched it. Been home late every night this week and I have been so amped for binging Better Call Saul I keep blanking on creating it.

ironpony 02-28-20 01:40 AM

I watched it again after a few years, and it gets better every time. One thing me and my gf both agreed on that is strange is the ending though. Why did the villain confess the crime? I mean all the police got him on so far is attempted murder, and breaking and entering, so why confess to worse crimes?

GulfportDoc 02-28-20 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by ironpony (Post 2069032)
I watched it again after a few years, and it gets better every time. One thing me and my gf both agreed on that is strange is the ending though. Why did the villain confess the crime? I mean all the police got him on so far is attempted murder, and breaking and entering, so why confess to worse crimes?
You're using 21st Century logic for a 1954 film.

During that era in films, a man who murdered his wife could never get away with it. The Hays Code had long insisted that movie criminals always get caught and punished.

ironpony 02-28-20 10:45 PM

Yeah that's true. But instead of him confessing the crime, wouldn't it just make more sense for L.B. Jeffries to use pull the villain out of the window and, have him fall to his death, so he doesn't get away with it instead?

flinkscorn 03-17-20 05:33 AM

This movie is cited in one Simpsons episode. Bart breaks his leg and spies on Flanders next door.

ironpony 07-14-20 03:05 PM

One thing in the movie I don't understand, is how was Thorwald able to get Jeff's phone number? Where did he get it from?