3D Films

Tools    

I have never really been into 3D films. The last time I remember seeing on was in the days of Jumanji when I was young, I seem to remember enjoying it back then but seeing it in 2D I didn't enjoy it any less for not have it in 3D.

I saw Saw 7 as a 3D movie but not in 3D as it were and it was very obvious which parts of it were intended for things to come flying out of the screen at people. I may sound old and boring but 3D just doesn't add anything to a film for me. I am not down on it and I am not saying it should be stopped. If people enjoy them then more power to them but looking over the up and coming list in IMDb it does not look like many are coming out.

Do you think 3D offers anything more to a film? Would you purposely go to see a 3D film over a 2D one?

It does sometimes but right now usually it doesn't. Not for me anyway. I really want to see Gravity in 3D though I'd expect it would be even more amazing.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
I personally haven't seen anything in film that necessitated the use of 3D, or really turned it into an innovative tool for filmmakers, but then again, I haven't seen Jean-Luc Godard's use of it yet:

If you had asked me a year ago, I thought it was a cheap gimmick to increase the profit. My favorite us of 3D being Drive Angry.

But after seeing Gravity it shows me that 3D CAN be used to great effect beyond animation! But Hollywood will still use it more for slapping it on to crappy movies that do not need to be in 3D.

If you had asked me a year ago, I thought it was a cheap gimmick to increase the profit. My favorite us of 3D being Drive Angry.

But after seeing Gravity it shows me that 3D CAN be used to great effect beyond animation! But Hollywood will still use it more for slapping it on to crappy movies that do not need to be in 3D.
Do you think that this is happening less now? I am personally not noticing many 3D movies being released and when they are it's even harder now to find "3D" in a title.

Was is 2012/early 2013 when there were a ton of 3D releases?

I do wonder if 3D films have had their day again. Now I have no figures to show the popularity of them or indeed how many films a year are made in this format but having just looked on IMDb it does appear not many are being made.

Do you think that this is happening less now? I am personally not noticing many 3D movies being released and when they are it's even harder now to find "3D" in a title.

Was is 2012/early 2013 when there were a ton of 3D releases?
I have noticed the number of time it happens has begun to decrease greatly. But I still see it happening with certain titles.

Hollywood tends to go by these figures:

Figures with writing missing

Film X in 2D: ... made £150

Film X in 3D: ... made £250

Must mean 3D is in bigger demand.

These are the same numbers with the missing writing added back in:

Film X in 2D: Sold 15 tickets at £10 each... made £150

Film X in 3D: Sold 10 tickets at £25 each... made £250

Hollywood... they know what they're doing.

Whilst these figures are indeed impressive and you may be right on it I don't think any one is arguing the profitability of them but more how popular they are, how many films are being made in 3D and if they will continue to be made in 3D.

They'll die off after a while when the current audience realises they're a hack.

Then in 20 years they'll show up again when there's a new younger audience to scam.

3D was around in the early 1900s... then the 1920s then the 40s, then the 60s, then the 80s, now in the 2010s... then they'll disappear again and reappear in the 2030s... maybe 2040s.

Agreed, I remember when 3D came back here in the UK, was it the end of the 90's? I remember the radio times came with 3D glasses and the BBC did a lot of tv programming but sadly all it meant was a lot of people turning around and saying "it doesn't work very well, what's that about??"

L'Arrivée D'un Train En Gare De La Ciotat which was made in 1895 was also one of the first 3D experiments in film.

1895!!

New tech my arse.

I hate the 3D scam.

As long as the cinemas release the 2D version also then I'm not really bothered to be honest.

It's when they release 3D only, that really pisses me off. And they have done this at times. I couldn't see Dredd for example at the cinema because no where near me was showing the 2D version...

Not a fan of the trend mostly because I can't watch 3D, so it's always 2D for me and always will be.

^^ The main reason Dredd flopped.

I didn't see it at the cinema either because we didn't get a 2D showing either...

It was also marketed as a solely 3D film. The official running title was Dredd 3D.

Shame really. Dredd is awesome.

^^ The main reason Dredd flopped.

I didn't see it at the cinema either because we didn't get a 2D showing either...

It was also marketed as a solely 3D film. The official running title was Dredd 3D.

Shame really. Dredd is awesome.
Agreed. Dredd is brilliant.

What about the new Godzilla movie?