17. The Thin Red Line
16. Starship Troopers
15. MASH
14. Full Metal Jacket
13. The Hurt Locker
12. Inglorious Basterds
11. The Brotherhood of War
10. Platoon
Oliver Stone has always been a director who makes Americans question who they are, where their country is headed and how will they cope with the wrongs of the past. It's for that reason that I'm surprised his still worked in Hollywood for so long. Platoon is one of his best works, a stirring, emotional challenging tale of men at war in America's darkest hour.

9. Richard III
A truly underrated classic, adapting Shakespeare's play it transporting it to a warped, 1930s London is a stroke of genius. It seems to get lost amongst other, bigger, louder war movies but this is all about conflict. Physical conflict and the war of souls and consciences.

8. Ran
Yet another Shakespearean adaptation, this time set in 16th century Japan and directed by the great Kurosawa. It's a true epic with thousands of extras and it really shows. This is old fashioned film making before the advent of CGI and everything seems suitably physical. Kurosawa not only gives a lesson in how to control pace and story telling but also in how to direct action.

7. Gallipoli
This isn't loud and it isn't brash but rather a thoughtful introspective on war and the sacrifices it takes to succeed. This to me has always seemed a love letter to the young and the brave who give everything to protect the old men in power. Add to that one of Mel Gibson's best performances and you have a great movie which really should be spoken of a lot more.

6. The Deer Hunter
A difficult movie to get through, not because it's overly violent or sadistic but because the characters are not always relatable. Walken portrays a dark, somewhat unhinged character and even though he isn't the center piece of the movie, his persona dominates to such an extent that you can't understand if you like him or not. It's this psychological aspect that makes Cimino's classic so disturbing and great at the same time.

5. Duck, You Sucker
A typical Leone movie, set in the days of the Wild West, bandits, thiefs, immoral men and the Mexican Revolution all combine to create some thing that is funny and some how thought provoking. A highly entertaining and at times tongue in cheek adventure which will make you laugh, you can't say that often about war movies.

4. Letters from Iwo Jima
A companion piece to Eastwood's Flags, this is by far the superior of the two. Unlike most war movies set during WW2, it shows the story from the enemies perspective, young Japanese men trying to survive on an island ravaged by war. The subplot of one of the soldier's wives at home strikes an emotional chord and shows us that even the bad men facing us from the opposite side of the battlefield are human.

3. The Great Escape
The iconic motorcycle jump by Steve McQueen has lived long in the memory and will continue do to so. That one moment has defined the whole movie but this is so much more than that. It's an escape movie set in a POW camp which knows when to laugh and when to be carry a stiff upper lip. A very British quality for a very British movie. Excellent performances all round and instantly quotable, this is an instant classic.

2. Saving Private Ryan
The opening sequence is easily one of the best ever captured on film. It took a director as great as Spielberg to portray the D-Day landing in all it's brutal, gory glory. The movie seems to lose a bit of pace in the hour or so that follows but the finale is equally as epic and the emotional strings that Tom Hanks pulls provides us with one of cinema's best ever performances.This is how a big, battle fueled war movie should be made.

1. Apocalypse Now
Could there be any doubt as to what is the best war movie ever made? Coppola's classic is a subversive, deeply disturbing take on the psychosis of war. Every character seems unhinged and the journey undertaken by Martin Sheen's protagonist is almost fantasy, a surreal combination of what is and what may be. Marlon Brando, on screen for only a few minutes gives us a chilling performance. We never truly see the man in the shadows and we never know if he is good or evil...that's war right? Is it right, is it wrong? We may never know.

I am the Watcher in the Night
I've left out Schindler's List, Braveheart and Lawrence of Arabia simply because I think they are biographical movies about characters who just happened to fight wars. I know it seems an odd way to reason it but I just couldn't rank them here.

Odd to see Starship Troopers included in a war movies list. It's a very good movie, though. Problem is that if you say that every movie with battles is a war movie then you would even have to classify the Star Wars movies, for instance, as a war movie as well.

Semper Fooey
There are other movies there I never thought of as war movies although they technically qualify.

Some notables not on the list

Paths of Glory
All Quiet on the Western Front
Catch 22
The Grand Illusion
12 O'Clock High
The Guns of Navarone
Patton (biographical?)
I Accuse (1919)
Staleg 17

and the most glaring omission

Bridge on the River Kwai
because thematically it is so similiar to the the number one movie on the list. Earlier anti war movies had as their theme the futility of war. Bridge's theme was the madness of war as was true for Apocolypse Now and both had as the focal point a commanding officer going rogue by the standards of their superiors that had to be stopped.

Bridge on the River Kwai
because thematically it is so similiar to the the number one movie on the list. Earlier anti war movies had as their theme the futility of war. Bridge's theme was the madness of war as was true for Apocolypse Now and both had as the focal point a commanding officer going rogue by the standards of their superiors that had to be stopped.
Grave of the Fireflies and the Human Condition trilogy can be considered way more glaring omissions than the Bridge on the River Kwai.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Yeah, for him. It's obvious. If it's him that writes it, it's his own opinion.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Semper Fooey
Not really.

I am not going to be so tactful now.

What is Duck You Sucker doing on that list?

If that qualifies as a war movie, then the far superior The Wild Bunch should be there.

saving private ryan!

Semper Fooey
I looked up Grave of the Fireflies and thematically it isn't anything like Apocalypse Now and Bridge on the River Kwai.

Originally Posted by will.15
Bridge on the River Kwai

Grave of the Fireflies and the Human Condition trilogy can be considered way more glaring omissions than the Bridge on the River Kwai.

I am the Watcher in the Night
hahaha

Oh and with regards to Starship Troopers, the whole movie is about war, coated with the a paint of sci-fi but it's meant to be an allegory for modern day war and the reasons behind it. A great satire in it's own right.

Some of my favourites,in no particular order :
Paths of Glory.
All Quiet on the Western Front.
Full Metal Jacket.
Saving Private Ryan.
They were Expendable.
Patton.
Where Eagles Dare.
Bridge on the River Kwai.
Twelve O' Clock High.
Tora Tora Tora.
Von Ryan's Express.
Born on the fourth of July.
Battle of Britain.
The Great Escape.
Zulu.
The Desert Fox.
The Thin Red Line.
Letters from Iwo Jima.
Sands of Iwo Jima.

My top 20 War movies (based on what Criticker lists in the war genre.)

1. Grave of the Fireflies
2. Downfall
3. Apocalypse Now
3. The Deer Hunter
3. Hotel Rwanda
6. Saving Private Ryan
7. Schindler's List
8.Inglourious Basterds
8. Lust, Caution
10. Full Metal Jacket
11. Letters from Iwo Jima
11. Paths of Glory
13. Red Cliff II
14. Into the White
15. The Hurt Locker
16. Red Sorghum
17. The Duellists
18. The Warlords
19. The Men Who Stare at Goats
20. The Thin Red Line

The Men Who Stare at Goats?A war film?

Personally,my favorite is Apocalypse Now.Other that come close is Full Metal Jacket.