Books You Have Read More Than Once

Tools    

It's easy to watch a movie over and over again but it requires a special love to read a book for the second or third time. My challenge to you, list some books that you have read more than once.

Here's some of mine (this is the short list)

1. Clear and Present Danger-Tom Clancy
2. The Hobbit-J.R.R. Tolkien
3. Jurassic Park-Michael Crichton
4. The Stand-Stephen King
5. Salem's Lot-Stephen King
6. The Princess Bride-William Goldman
7. 1984-George Orwell
8. The Lord of the Flies-William Golding
9. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn-Betty Smith
10. Ender's Game-Orson Scott Card

wow. I just realized that these have all been made into movies--some good, some not so good.

Nice!

And a King fan to boot.

Currently I'm re-reading the Dark Tower series (I'm on The Wastelands right now).

Some others:

1). Aztec - Gary Jennings
2). Any and every King novel
3). The Haunting of Hill House - Shirley Jackson
4). Man and his Symbols - Carl Jung
5). The Holy Bible - God
6). The Satanic Bible - Anton LaVey
7). To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
8). Helter Skelter - Vincent Bugliosi
9). Necronomicon - HP Lovecraft
10). The Halloween Tree - Ray Bradbury
11). Dandelion Wine - Ray Bradbury
12). The Illustrated Man - Ray Bradbury
13). October Country - Ray Bradbury
14). A Midsummer Night's Dream - Shakespeare

Okay, stopping for now... gotta do some work.

I have no clue how many times I've read this book, maybe an infinite number of times, over and over and over...

"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Nice!

And a King fan to boot.

Currently I'm re-reading the Dark Tower series (I'm on The Wastelands right now).

Okay, stopping for now... gotta do some work.

Huge King fan. I'm waiting a few years before I read the DT Series again. The last book and Wizard in Glass (and Glass?) were really emotional reads for me.

Have a good day!

\m/ Fade To Black \m/

I re-read this as im a big fan of his and this is the only book that I have re-read as im going through the discworld novels one by one

I am burdened with glorious purpose
I've never read a book twice.

The only book I would even consider reading again is Lord of the Rings, which is my favorite book. Interestingly, my second favorite, Huckleberry Finn, isn't something I can see myself reading again.

I once had an English Professor ask me why I would watch films over and over but not read books over and over. He didn't understand.

Not sure I do, either, but I often feel that since I read the book once, that's enough. The only books I've looked at twice are books I needed to know for school (English courses.)

I like seeing the lists of books, though.

EDIT: I see people listing Shakespeare?! That seems different to me. I often have to read the play twice.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Hmm, I used to re-read books all the time as a kid, now I find I hardly have time to read new ones once, let alone re-read older ones, so most of these will be teen favourites. But a few from the top of my head exclusing actual kids' books:

Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte
Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien
Nineteen Eighty-Four - George Orwell
House of the Spirits - Isabel Allende
Wild Swans - Jung Chang
Clan of the Cave Bear - Jean M Auel
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
Stockholm Syndrome - Richard Rider
Emma, Pride and Prejudice, Mansfield Park and Persuasion - Jane Austen
Obernewtyn - Isobelle Carmody
A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens
Middlemarch - Geroge Eliot
Interview with the Vampire - Anne Rice
The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde
Day of the Triffids, The Chrysalids, Trouble with Lichen, The Midwich Cuckoos - John Wyndham
The Buddha of Suburbia - Hanif Kureishi
I Capture the Castle - Dodie Smith

I once had an English Professor ask me why I would watch films over and over but not read books over and over. He didn't understand.

Not sure I do, either, but I often feel that since I read the book once, that's enough. The only books I've looked at twice are books I needed to know for school (English courses.)
Reading a book is a huge time investment. A movie is a 2 hour stint--all the brain work being done for us-it's easy to sit and watch the same thing over again, especially if you liked it. It's like being spoon fed something delicious that you enjoy.
Reading a book requires patience, energy...although for me, reading is just a movie in my mind-easily just as delicious as watching a movie-just takes a lot longer.

Thursday Next--I LOVE your list. Clan of the Cave Bear was sooooo exciting when I was a young girl. I have also read Interview with a Vampire three times. (I think it's the sex appeal)

Yeah, me neither. I've only just recently (in the last few years) gotten into reading so I (feel like I) have too many books I need to read before I "waste time" on re-reading something I'm familiar with. But I don't really re-watch films either. Same reason as with books, I feel like there's just too much stuff out there I haven't yet experienced so I'm leaving all that for...I dunno, old age or something? Although my memory is really terrible so I could do it all now and it would probably be as if I'd never seen/read...it...*retard* :\

It's not that the books change... your perceptions do.

Reading Golding's Lord of the Flies at 16 is a far different experience than reading it at 40.

But you know that.

I've never been much of a reader--since about two months ago, that is. And now I read almost as often as I watch movies. Since that time(two or three months ago), I've read a couple of books twice already. 12 Angry Men the play I've read twice, and I've read Dante's The Divine Comedy like one and a half times; that's my favorite book by far and I just go back and read certain sections when I'm in the mood. He provides the most vivid details of his three unforgettable worlds (Purgatory, Paradise, and the Inferno) to perfection, and I like to go back and read his descriptions of Lucifer and God themselves; these passages send shivers down my spine each and every time I read them.

My Movie Review Thread | My Top 100

Charlie And The Chocolate Factory
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Little Women
Interview With The Vampire
The Vampire Lestat
The Queen Of The Damned
The Body Thief
Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas
Holy Terror: Andy Warhol Close Up

Various (auto)biographies, plays, books of poetry, true crime books, etc.

Manolo, Shoot That Piece Of Sh*t!
The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole - Sue Townsend
Saartje Tadema - Thea Beckman

Not much of a reader...

Greets
Spikez

Spikez's DVD Collection

Last Movie Seen: The Breakfast Club

Employee of the Month
1. Michael Crichton - Dino Park, Sphere, Eaters of the Dead
2. Douglas Coupland - Shampoo Planet, Generation X, Microslaves
3. John Grisham - The Firm, A Time to Kill, The Client, The Runaway Jury
3. T.C.Boyle - Samurai of Savannah, Water Music, Drop City
4. Michel Houellebecq - The Possibility of an Island, Platform, The Elementary Particles, Whatever (Bad Title, Original: Expansion of the Combat Zone)
5. Robert Westall - Living with Laura
6. Stephen King - Most of his novels and short-stories, especially
Dead Zone, The Stand, On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft
7. Wolfgang Hohlbein: Azrael
8. Robert Harris - Fatherland, Ghost
9. Terry Pratchett - Guards!Guards!, Moving Pictures, Reaper Man; Small Gods, Night Watch
10. David Benioff - 25 Hours
11. Ernest Hemingway - Old Man and the Sea, The Sun Also Rises

Here's a few of the ones I've read more than once...

Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee - Dee Brown
Wisdom of the Native Americans - Kent Nerburn
To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck
The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
Interview With a Vampire - Anne Rice
Jaws - Peter Benchley
Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte
A Time to Kill - John Grisham
The Crow - James O'Barr
The Exorcist - William Peter Blatty