Whats hanging?

Tools    

Clearly Saddam.

What are your thoughts on the matter?

Personally I think it was very unwise to hang him on the day of a major Muslim holiday.

My father told me something today on the matter that I'll perhaps always remember: "The loss of human life is always sad. But Hussein was an evil man, and is it so sad for the world to see him go? No. Is it so sad for the thousands he murdered? No."
I remember him telling me the same thing when we got al-Zarqawi.

What major Muslim holiday is it?
Infinitely suffering thing.
T.S Eliot, "Preludes"

I don't believe in Capital punishment no matter who it is

You ready? You look ready.
The guy was clearly a mad man, but that mad man also had order and structure there. Yea, it's funny to think about it that way but, Hitler did the same thing. Took nothing and made it better.

His hanging won't make a bit of difference in the world, IMO. It's just another life lost that, more then likely, most people won't care about. Does that mean we should have hung him because no one cared? No. Does that mean we shouldn't have hung him because no one cared? No. It's really a confusing matter. Clearly, most of the free world wanted to see him hang. Just like in WWII. Well, they got what they wanted. Now off to the next mad man we can find, prosecute, and hang.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

It's a travesty, you can't hang someone in civilised society. However, he wasn't hung by a civilised society, so it's fine.

A system of cells interlinked
Deez Nutz

Precisely.

Originally Posted by Alvin
It's a travesty, you can't hang someone in civilised society. However, he wasn't hung by a civilised society, so it's fine.

Um. You know the Iraqi tribunal IS sub section of the US military presence in Iraq. So you just bashed the western world with your uncivilized remarks.

And if you were referring to the Iraqis, thats even worse. Calling an entire nation uncivilized because of their madman leader? Ridiculous.

NOT ACTUALLY BANNED
Some people need to die. Not just deserve to, but need to.

People like Robert Thompson, Jon Venables, Paul Bernardo, Bin Ladden, etc. don't have any real reason to be breathing at this moment in my opinion.

Saddam fell under that same category, so I don't mind this at all.

Originally Posted by BobbyB

People like Robert Thompson, Jon Venables, Paul Bernardo, Bin Ladden, etc. don't have any real reason to be breathing at this moment in my opinion.

Saddam fell under that same category, so I don't mind this at all.
Good to know that human life is so disposable to you.

NOT ACTUALLY BANNED
Some human life, is indeed disposable.

I really don't care if some people are alive.

Like I've said before, people like Hitler or something should die and no one should shed a tear or give a rip if they do.

Originally Posted by John McClane
The guy was clearly a mad man, but that mad man also had order and structure there. Yea, it's funny to think about it that way but, Hitler did the same thing. Took nothing and made it better.
This wishy-washy "softening" of madmen is dangerous. Of course, when questioned, I'm sure you'll swear up-and-down that you're not saying Saddam was anything short of a heinous human being, but I don't know what to make of folks whose first instinct is to play down such a man's atrocities. He was bad. Bad for Iraqi, and bad for mankind. I'm not sure what purpose you hope to serve with these nuances.

Of course men like Hussein and Hitler have good points. It's the only way they can achieve any sort of following to begin with. But their talents do not lessen the despicability of their actions. They make them all the less excusable. They knew better. They were smart and ambitious and could have done something good. That they abused their considerable abilities so thoroughly is a crime against God on par with the crimes they committed against humanity.

You ready? You look ready.
Originally Posted by Yoda
This wishy-washy "softening" of madmen is dangerous. Of course, when questioned, I'm sure you'll swear up-and-down that you're not saying Saddam was anything short of a heinous human being, but I don't know what to make of folks whose first instinct is to play down such a man's atrocities. He was bad. Bad for Iraqi, and bad for mankind. I'm not sure what purpose you hope to serve with these nuances.
I wasn't playing down his actions.

Originally Posted by BobbyB
And who should decide who needs to die?

I wasn't playing down his actions.
Then what were you doing? You described him as "bring[ing] order and structure" and said he "took nothing and made it better." I'm not sure how else to take that.

And who should decide who needs to die?
This wasn't addressed to me, but I'll take a crack at it: I think a jury of our peers tends to do a pretty good job. It certainly beats the alternative, which is self-incapacitation.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I think this event was the pinnacle of the democratization of the media and the internet.

One of the most controversial figures of the last half of the last century is executed as the result of a democratic process and hours later I can watch video of his death thanks to a cell phone with a camera on it and google video.

Even Ripley wouldn't have believed that **** was possible.