The Videogames Tab

Tools    

Registered Creature
OK, so I'm not the biggest video game person, but my brothers do happen to have some great games on their XBOX 360:

Oblivion
Dead Rising
Gears of War
Call of Duty 4
Command & Conquer Tiberian Wars
Grand Theft Auto IV

...and more.

I'm more of a Nintendo 64 person myself... lol Pokemon.

A system of cells interlinked
Got Bioshock for my birthday. This game seems to be constructed around my exact tastes. Retro-futuristic sci fi with spooky atmosphere, absolutely amazing environments, and incredible production values. System Shock II has always been a favorite of mine, and this game is a super powered upgrade in every way, while maintaining the twisted paradigm that made that game so great. I played through the opening sequence multiple times, because it is that bad ass...

The underwater city is jaw dropping. It's like a twisted version of the city from Blade Runner...

The flowing water, steam, greasy, moving machinery...the world comes alive like no game I have ever played. Absolutely amazing.

The People's Republic of Clogher
I saw Bioshock reduced to £10 in my local store and had resolved to buy it today - when I got there it was sold out...

They say it's a shooter with RPG elements, is that fair Seds? I'm no big fan of shooters but RPGs are up my ally.

I lucked out on Monday and won an Nvidia 9800GT in a prize draw at my local PC store. The GPU in the PC was bought only a month ago but this one is slightly more powerful so I stuck it in and am eBaying the other one (unless someone wants to buy it from me - it's an HD3870 with Akasa Vortexx Neo cooler but no sales receipt. Buyer beware, but it's cheap for £50 + P&P ).

The card came bundled with Assassin's Creed, which I bought for the PS3 then quickly traded but installed this one anyway just to see how the 9800 handled - very well as it turns out. The game is as good looking but hopelessly shallow and repetitive as I remember.

Roll on the end of the month and Fallout 3.

It runs like a shooter, with some light RPG elements. I don't like most shooters, but I have always liked the Shock stuff, since back in the 90s. It's a lot like System Shock II, as uses a lot of the same character elements. It's more shooter than RPG so far, I must say. It's a lot like Half Life 2, with scripted events that go off as you plod along. It's completely worth playing, in my opinion.

Cheers.

I've got System Shock somewhere but gave up trying to get it to run on Vista. There are some great high res packs for it now, apparently.

HL2 is probably the last shooter I actually liked.

You'll be a shoe-in for Fallout 3 I bet.

Oblivion is my favourite game of this generation, no question. I like it so much that I bought it 3 times - Once for the PC, once more when I got the PS3 and traded that one for the GOTY. Then I found out that the PS3 GOTY has a major bug which they aren't gonna patch and the only way around it is to play through the particular bit on the regular edition.

Which I no longer own... I'm gonna track down a used original edition and bill Bethesda. They make fantastic games, the only type that really float my boat now (sandboxes) but they're stingy with the PS3 - no DLC for Oblivion, for example, when the 360 and PC versions got loads. OK, that game was basically ported to the console but now I hear that there will be no PS3 DLC for Fallout 3 either, and that's been developed for all 3 systems simultaneously.

Still, Oblivion with high res textures (along with about 20 other mods) and Francesco's levelled creatures and items is bliss and if Fallout 3 plays like a dystopian Elder Scrolls game it'll keep the PS3 from gathering dust.

You ready? You look ready.
Bioshock has the sickest surround sound quality ever in a video game. So far, I've only found MGS4 able to trump it. But like, that's no fair comparing Bioshock to MGS4. It gets handed every time.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

I'm not old, you're just 12.
I'm way behind, but I picked up Final Fantasy XII today, can't wait to play it. I've always liked the series. I need to get Final Fantasy 9, too. since i have 7, 8, 10, and 12.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Bioshock has the sickest surround sound quality ever in a video game. So far, I've only found MGS4 able to trump it. But like, that's no fair comparing Bioshock to MGS4. It gets handed every time.
I played MGS4 for a little while. I didn't like it anywhere near as much as Bioshock, but I am not a huge fan of military games. *Yawn*

In the Beginning...
I almost picked up Oblivion yesterday. Looked like it would suck my life away, though, so I didn't snag it...
Yes, but to Tatty you listen. It's in your best interest to let this game suck your life away. It will give it back. Just think of it as a daily vacation. Seriously, it's eerily good. As close as you can possibly get to being part of a large scale fantasy world, anyway. And the combat/RPG format is easily one of the most well-developed and intuitive I've played.

Re: Bioshock -- I played this back when it was first released, and thought the presentation was excellent. The surreal plane crash scenario at the beginning is a masterstroke in recent video game storytelling. I just had a substantial beef with the gameplay. I guess I'm not the kind of player the developers targeted. I play a lot of shooters, so I found myself relying on the firearms a little too heavily in Bioshock, all the way to my grave. You're suicidal if you don't use the biotics in your left hand (a lot), and I got the sense early on that this was the intended way to play it. That was a turn-off, I guess, so I didn't finish it. I feel like, in this age of gaming of increased player freedom, the gameplay ought to be balanced to allow for various styles of play to be employed successfully.

Registered Creature
Ditto Bioshock. Amazing game.

Fallout 3 looks awesum.

Yes, but to Tatty you listen. It's in your best interest to let this game suck your life away. It will give it back. Just think of it as a daily vacation. Seriously, it's eerily good. As close as you can possibly get to being part of a large scale fantasy world, anyway. And the combat/RPG format is easily one of the most well-developed and intuitive I've played.

Re: Bioshock -- I played this back when it was first released, and thought the presentation was excellent. The surreal plane crash scenario at the beginning is a masterstroke in recent video game storytelling. I just had a substantial beef with the gameplay. I guess I'm not the kind of player the developers targeted. I play a lot of shooters, so I found myself relying on the firearms a little too heavily in Bioshock, all the way to my grave. You're suicidal if you don't use the biotics in your left hand (a lot), and I got the sense early on that this was the intended way to play it. That was a turn-off, I guess, so I didn't finish it. I feel like, in this age of gaming of increased player freedom, the gameplay ought to be balanced to allow for various styles of play to be employed successfully.
Yeah, I was wondering about the single style of character, as opposed to the three in System Shock II. Alas, Balance issues were a problem with SSII, in that two of the three classes were much easier to beat the game with. I guess they wanted to make the experience as balanced as possible this time round.

In the Beginning...
Just finished The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess for Wii. As Zelda games go, it was incredible on the front end, fairly good on the back end, and all kinds of meandering in the middle. The design of some of the dungeons were, at times, as problematic as I've seen in any Zelda game, which is a big deal. Still, all in all, a worthy installment, and an exciting return to a realistic graphic style in a uniquely impressive way.

And in case anyone is wondering, I would rate this Zelda game and others as so:

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, N64 (1998) A+
2. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, Gamecube (2002) A+
3. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Super NES (1991) A
4. The Legend of Zelda: Classic, NES (1986) A
5. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons, GB Color (2001) B+
6. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Wii (2006) B+
7. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages, GB Color (2001) B+
8. The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, DS (2007) B
9. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, N64 (2000) C
10. The Legend of Zelda: Adventure of Link, NES (1987)
D

Not played:
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap, GBA (2004)
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords, GBA (2002)
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, GB (1993)

Let's try to be broad-minded about this
Somebody who has played Oblivion before should help me...i'm not quite sure what i should be doing in the game right now i don't want to do the main task so my friend said i didn't have to right away so what should i do? i've never really played a game like Oblivion before

on the otherhand....i just beat The Force Unleashed and it was pretty cool the fighting style was badass

Thing is, you can do anything you like (within the confines of the game world).

Talk to everyone, you'll get quests that way, and travel around the world...

I'd recommend doing the main quest early-ish if it's your first play through because it gets a bit tricky on higher levels but another good way in is to join a Guild such as the Fighters' Guild or the Mages' Guild.

This site is essential. It'll give you lots of tips and pointers if you get stuck and answer any questions you may have.

Non linear games can be a bit daunting if you've not played them before but Oblivion is one of the most forgiving of all.

Little floppy, hoppy, bunnies!
Wanted to add to the conversation of Bioshock. I'm new to the pc game world and for me seeing a game like Bioshock was......well it blew my mind. The little underwater world 40 style with lots of gory things that for me make it so awesome to play / watch.
However....I HATE THE CONTROLS ON THE MOUSE...ugh. I know I press the wrong buttons changing weapons and using the different powers or tonics. It aggravates me that I'm slow on the controls but, I super love games gore and 3D worlds so for myself I really enjoy the game. Even if I watch I still have a good time! Just my thoughts on the topic.

Little floppy, hoppy, bunnies!
Oblivion.....what is that game all about? Never heard of it what type of game?