Sexy Cineplexy: Reviews

→ in
Tools    

"Hey Look it's Masterman"
Nice review on the Creature movie, never seen it but your review made my laugh.

This Is The End
(directed by Evan (Whoopi) Goldberg and Seth Rogen, 2013)

First of all, I liked this movie a lot, but I feel that there's one big problem with it --- Jay Baruchel is the lead star in a movie that also stars James Franco, Seth Rogen, Jonah Hill and some other guys. Who the hell is Jay Baruchel?! I know who he is by seeing him because he was in Fanboys, but that's, like, ALL I PERSONALLY KNOW HIM FROM.

The geek boy who wasn't even the lead star of Fanboys is the lead star of this movie? Unf**kingbelievable. It would have been better if it had been someone else more well known -- Jason Segel, for an example.

This is a very unique and fun movie -- the plot is all of these actors you've seen in some form of a Judd Apatow comedy over the years -- I think of them as the "Judd Apatow Era Actors" -- are playing THEMSELVES. And they all get together at James Franco's house for a big party. Rihanna is there. Michael Cera is high on cocaine and getting a rimjob in a bathroom (he has a nice ass). Paul Rudd is there. Aziz Ansari. Emma Watson (Hermione from Harry Potter). Everybody's there! Everybody's smoking weed and checking out James Franco's art collection. James Franco is walking around like a hippie. It's a night out with the young crowd in Hollywood.

But THIS IS THE END!

Armageddon happens. Beams of blue light come shooting down from the skies and they take people up to Heaven -- the good people, that is. The bad people -- which is ALL of the famous people -- get left behind. This first happens when Seth Rogen and Jay Baruchel (*LONG SUFFERING SIGH*) stop at a convenience store. They witness the beginning of the end and when they go back inside James Franco's house for the party, nobody there has any idea that all hell has broken loose outside. Then the house shakes -- it's an earthquake. Then Michael Cera gets stabbed by a pole and the ground opens up and Rihanna and many other celebrities fall into a deep hole to their deaths. Only a few people, like Seth Rogen, JAY BARUCHEL, James Franco, Jonah Hill, Danny McBride, Craig Robinson and an independent Emma Watson survive.

So the guys barricade themselves inside James Franco's house and do stupid man things together.

Before this movie ends, you will hear A LOT about male ejaculations. Had This Is The End been in 3-D, they probably would have had James Franco, Seth Rogen, Danny McBride, JAY BARUCHEL, Jonah Hill and Craig Robinson all ejaculating on the audience.

There is Craig Robinson and Seth Rogen drinking their own piss.

There is an unofficial sequel to Pineapple Express.

There is Emma Watson defending herself against rape.

There is Jonah Hill getting anally raped by a demon and then becoming possessed and appearing in scenes taken right from The Exorcist.

There is also A LOT of homosexual humor, including a nice bit featuring Channing Tatum as Craig Robinson's bitch.

This is a nice movie to go out and see, but it absolutely could have been a lot better. It really doesn't come to life until the Apocalypse begins. I need to see it again, though, because I had trouble hearing a lot of jokes thanks to this MONSTROUS BITCH sitting next to me who laughed like a man, snorted at everything and was basically the MOST ANNOYING creature I've ever heard in a movie theater. I almost grabbed this woman's head, ripped it off her body and threw it at the movie screen. She had a boyfriend with her -- pray for this man if he's now at home having sex with this loud she-beast. Sigourney Weaver's monster growls from Ghostbusters was more feminine than anything that came out of this man-lady's voice box.

But anyway -- I'm tired. I wanna wrap this up. I recommend This Is The End. I laughed, but not nonstop. Mostly it made me wanna just hang out at James Franco's house. I'd be fine experiencing the end of the world with these guys, talking about ejaculating and cuddling at bedtime. But Jay Baruchel has to be replaced with Jake Gyllenhaal. That's my only stipulation.

K-PAX
(directed by Iain Softley, 2001)

Kevin Spacey gobbles down a bunch of bananas in K-PAX, a movie in which he plays a man who says he's really a visitor from outer space. This puts him in the Manhattan Psychiatric Institute where a psychiatrist named Mark (played by Jeff Bridges) treats him and hopes to bring him out of his severe delusion -- or is it really a delusion?

I saw K-PAX back when it first came out in 2001 -- even went to the movies to see it -- and I loved it at the time. It's been I dunno how many years since I last saw it and I suddenly found myself with a desire to watch it again. At first the movie seemed kind of dated going back to it... check out the computers. It had hints of a 1990s era movie that still hadn't adjusted to the new century. To me, the nostalgia was nice. The movie got better as it went on, becoming something I could understand why Kevin Spacey, a recent Academy Award winner at the time, would take on as a project.

K-PAX is a look at a man who is mentally ill after going through a severe trauma, but the film plays with the possibility that maybe he really is who he says he is -- an alien from a far away planet called K-PAX. It sort of works both ways -- you can believe he's really an alien, or you can believe he's really a man who's sick. I believe he's a man who's sick, but when I first saw this years ago, I entertained the possibility more that he was an alien.

He speaks to Jeff Bridges about his alien world, a place where marriage doesn't happen and sex between his K-PAXian people is extremely painful, nauseating and even stinky. (Wonder what Kevin Spacey's sex life is like?) He also has a stunning ability with the other mentally ill people at the Institute -- he can reach them and even heal them. It's not as supernatural as it sounds, though. He merely speaks to them or gives them tasks to do. Anybody could do it, but Prot (that's the alien's name) has an uncanny thing with these guys -- it also helps that he claims to be an alien, too, and that fascinates them. It also helps that this is a movie and of course in a movie all of the crazy people at a mental hospital can be easily taken in by a sunglasses wearing Kevin Spacey who probably got lost on his way to Fire Island.

The movie really, in my opinion, doesn't fully come to life until late in the film when they take a final approach to try to bring Prot out of his delusion through the use of hypnosis. That's when those of us skeptical of this guy's claims of being an alien can finally witness some real, serious work going on, both in regards to the story and the movie and the actors themselves. Finally shedding the somewhat annoying Prot persona, Kevin Spacey regresses to the person he really is (in several scenes) and finally we see a movie that is much more than a fantasy about some guy who might be an alien. Take note that we never, ever learn anything that the other characters don't know -- we're not secretly in-the-know that Kevin Spacey's character is an alien. We see what everyone else sees. There's never really anything else that hints that Kevin Spacey actually isn't a human being.

K-PAX is a marvelous, sweet little movie about connecting with other people and coming to terms with the humanity of others. It's not an outer space movie and it's not science fiction at all, but it plays with the fantasies of outer space and alien beings. It's a movie about mental illness, families, friendships, comforting others and getting in touch with your human side.

One of the best roles that I think Kevin Spacey has played. The movie still holds up and I was glad to revisit it.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I have a close friend with a ton of mental problems although he doesn't think so. He wants to go to K-PAX. I think he already lives there.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I think it's supposed to add one more piece of "evidence" that makes you consider that he's an alien. It proves nothing though.

K-PAX UPDATE - Five minutes after I posted about my friend above, he sent me his first e-mail in two weeks. The K-PAX Connection!

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Sorry Sexy, don't know how I missed this review. Very nice job. Not seen the film for a lot of years now but remember really loving it.

Coincidentally I had actually been considering watching and possibly reviewing this film myself of late but you've just stole my thunder!

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Go ahead and review it. And don't be sorry for not coming in here.
And pit our reviews against each other head to head? Having people compare and contrast our work? I think that's a recipe for disaster, someone will end up hurt. And our friendship is too special to risk.

BLACK LIMOUSINE
(directed by Carl Colpaert, 2010)

David Arquette has had a very interesting career. He's had an interesting life, in fact. He was born in Virginia (like me -- oooh, how nice to have something so in common with him) and he was born in a Subud commune (like me as well), a place with no electricity, bathrooms or running water, where people studied a spiritual movement. He's been married to Courteney Cox and they have a daughter. He's part of a famous acting family -- the Arquettes -- which include his now deceased father, Lewis Arquette, and his three sisters, Rosanna, Patricia and Alexis (who used to be his brother).

David Arquette has also had a diverse acting career. He's probably best known as Dewey the cop in all of the Scream movies -- all four of them -- he's never been killed off. Although - trivia time - he was actually written in the script to die in the first film, as well as the second film in its first draft. He's been in other films like Never Been Kissed (where he played Drew Barrymore's brother), Eight Legged Freaks, Ready to Rumble, Ravenous and even the original Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie from 1992. He's been in TWO Muppet movies -- Muppets from Space and even a Muppet Christmas movie. He played the lead in a Robert Rodriguez TV movie back in 1994 opposite Salma Hayek called Roadracers.

And then there's... the other movies David Arquette does. And Black Limousine belongs right there in that category. Whatever you want to call that category. The David Arquette Indie Film Category, I guess, works.

Now, I haven't yet seen everything he's done -- I still need to watch Dream with the Fishes. But I love the movie Johns, a 1996 film where he plays a male prostitute. And I've also seen a 2002 film he starred in called Happy Here and Now... and I have no idea what the point of that film really was. It was lunacy, I tell ya. Lunacy in New Orleans. But I kinda liked it. You know how sometimes you'll see something ugly and like it anyways? That's kind of how I felt. Anyway, that film made absolutely no sense. But Black Limousine actually makes sense... sort of. I think. However, it's definitely in league with Happy Here and Now and not Johns, because Black Limousine is also lunacy all over again, and I do NOT recommend it, even though I liked it for the first hour, at least.

David Arquette plays a limo driver with issues. This is not Taxi Driver with limos, but the thought may cross your mind (and will totally uncross itself if you finish this film). He's a limo driver in Hollywood and he's a composer -- he scored a science fiction film called The Land of the Astronauts. He's got an ex-wife and a daughter. He's also an alcoholic -- but don't expect any scenes where he chugs and chugs away, as he's recovering.

The film does not end happily. At least, I don't think it ended happily. It's possible I missed some kind of confusing metaphorical explanation or something. I don't know. The movie went pretentious to all hell on me.

Bijou Phillips is the co-star and she plays a love interest to David Arquette's character, but don't expect some lovey dovey story at all. Vivica A. Fox actually has a small part in this, but I think the most shocking part of all might be that Lin Shaye has a big role in the film. Lin Shaye is the woman who played Magda, the old woman with the saggy boobs and the dog and had that whole incident with speed in There's Something About Mary. The crazy thing is that in Black Limousine, she plays a landlord and she's got a little dog and she dresses and acts just like Magda. This disturbed, f**ked up movie is the closest we'll probably get to a sequel to There's Something About Mary -- I'm not kidding. She's like the exact same woman. Although, I shouldn't say that a sequel to Something About Mary isn't out of the question, now that the Farrelly's Dumb and Dumber sequel is actually happening.

David Arquette is one fine motherf**ker. He still looks good for his age. He looked great in the 90s, I thought. Hot as hell. But the man really knows how to find the most f**ked up screenplay in Hollywood and get himself in the lead role. He must be on someone's speed dial -- "Hi, yeah, I just read a script. I don't understand a damn thing that it's saying and it's really weird and really strange. Yeah, David, would you come over and we'll start shooting it tomorrow? Uh-huh. No, it's just one script, I don't have any others right now. But don't worry, we'll get some more after this. I'll take some acid and I'll write something down."

I don't know if I'd watch this movie again, though it wouldn't kill me. I'm very unhappy with how the story unfolded. IF you can call that "unfolding." It seems more like an unfolded story that folded itself up! I'm glad the movie made more sense than the last David Arquette movie I watched, but he really needs to get it together and stop making bad indie trash. This movie - Black Limousine - came out around the time he was going through the beginning of his separation with Courteney Cox. Considering his character in Black Limousine had a dark haired wife and a young daughter, the film is obviously, to me at least, something he must have been drawn to due to the subject matter, which deals with the loss of family, a man losing his wife and daughter through divorce.

A very depressing movie. It's nice to see that odd David Arquette movies -- which are so very '90s -- are still being churned out, though. David Arquette is like the Bruce Willis of the 1990s indie film scene -- he won't die unless he dies hard.

POINT BREAK
(directed by Kathryn Bigelow, 1991)

I was fooled by this movie. In the beginning, I thought this movie had a silly storyline -- the FBI is after some bank robbers that keep managing to get away. They've robbed a lot of banks over the years, yet they do it without hurting anybody, though they do have guns and they do use threats. When they leave, one of the robbers - a man - moons the security camera. "THANK YOU" is written across his butt cheeks. These guys also wear masks to look like ex-presidents. Thus, this gang is called "The Ex-Presidents." Gary Busey and his new partner, 25 year old Johnny Utah (Keanu Reeves) are out to get them. Busey suspects they're surfers, so Keanu Reeves becomes a surfer in order to find out who these bank robbers are. He uses punk woman Lori Petty to transform him into a popular surfer. Eventually he meets Bodhi (Patrick Swayze) -- a hardcore surfer who has had a sexual relationship with Lori Petty, but now she's feeling for Keanu Reeves.

So, what's the problem with these bank robbers, I wondered. They didn't kill anybody. All they did was steal money. Then they flashed a little male buttocks. It sounds alright to me. Why bother with all of this business of trying to catch them?

After the first hour, though, all hell breaks loose. What starts as a peaceful, hippie, Buddhist spiritual movie about the zen of surfing turns into an action film that would put Die Hard to shame. For some reason, I skipped this movie all of my life so far. Maybe it was the surfing theme. But I'm glad I finally witnessed it. This is a major film for Keanu Reeves. Patrick Swayze was fitting as the spiritual, bank robbing surfer, and it all gets better with the additions of Gary Busey and Lori Petty. I love me some Tank Girl.

Point Break,
the film, plays out like the storm of nature. The waves of the ocean. One minute, everything in the film is rather peaceful and tranquil and serene. The next minute, an eruption of brutal violence. Nice guys go bad. People end up dead. People are shot and killed. The Earth loses some of its creatures. Point Break focuses on the zen of living. Go with the flow. Ride the wild ride. Everything comes in cycles. We are all one with the universe. Life is chaos and a mixture of peace and pain.

The film is not boring, though it takes awhile before it really gets going. Still, I was interested even during the slow parts. I'm not sure how many more times in the future I'd care to watch a montage of Keanu Reeves learning how to surf thanks to Lori Petty's teaching, though.

I feel kind of unconvinced by Patrick Swayze's Bodhi character, though. He just doesn't seem violent enough. He surrounds himself with violent guys, yet he is the leader? Isn't the leader usually the most dangerous one? The last hour of the movie, though more exciting than the first, also feels kind of preposterous and tacked on.

This is definitely a good '90s movie, though I didn't catch it on my radar. Lori Petty's character felt kind of wasted, too, now that I think about it. The ending was also rather cheesy. I enjoyed Point Break. It captures the essence of the '90s without actually looking too much like a typical early 1990s movie. It brings serious action using actors I'm surprised to see in the genre. Keanu Reeves was terrific, but I'm not crazy about the Patrick Swayze character and his gang of thugs. Decent movie, but a serious love for it is still kind of peculiar to me. At least Keanu Reeves flashed some ass, as well. There's a whole lot of ass in this movie.

Cool review sexy, although I'd say comparing it to Die Hard in any way is far fetched. Overall I don't think it's a great movie but it has some cool scenes and I always find Keanu Reeves and Patrick Swayze to be extremely likable. Watching pre-crazy Gary Busey is also a plus. I also thought the first two thirds of the movie far outshined the last third. I really like the director; she's made 2 of my favorite films-Strange Days and Near Dark.

I watched the first 20 minutes of Hurt Locker and liked it, but my wife didn't so I shut it off. I'll watch the rest of it and I also want to see Zero Dark Thirty. She also did Blue Steel from 1989 which was pretty decent. I think her Near Dark is the best vampire movie ever, and I think Strange Days is one of the most underrated movies ever.

Near Dark is superb. Truly.

It's usually a delight to read a SC review of a film I love and this wasn't an exception.

Also, Bodhi is the leader because he's the best, the brains and a natural leader. The whole point is that he doesn't want or like to be violent, but if he thinks it's necessary, he'll kill you.

One thing about K-PAX troubles me... major spoilers:

WARNING: "K-Pax" spoilers below
What the hell happened to Bess?

Bess is the woman who was supposedly taken to K-PAX at the end with Prot when he leaves the Institute. She completely disappears... and Prot stays behind, in a catatonic condition.

If you believe, like me, that Prot is really a human... how do you account for Bess' disappearance? If you believe he's an alien, her disappearance is fine -- she's really gone to another planet. But for the people who don't believe he's an alien, we now have to worry about some very traumatized, mentally ill black woman who I guess has escaped the hospital and, I dunno, is running around somewhere with nowhere to go. That is really upsetting. Did she escape? Did Prot help her escape? If so, where is she going?

The ending with Bess' disappearance is very troubling.
I read the first K-PAX. What I got from it is that he's a human vessel for the alien's energy/soul.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

"Hey Look it's Masterman"
Nice review. I love Point Break, great film.

I seen The Hurt Locker a while ago and I loved it, ill have to dig it out and give it another watch.