Rauldc14's Top 119 Films

→ in
Tools    

I haven't been able to get into Inception and I haven't seen Lost in Translation yet.

Of course I love The Departed.
Seriously? Watch Lost In Translation soon. I dunno, it's all about the mood and how you connect to it, i get everyone who hates it, there's no middle ground really.

There's some defeatist humour that i think you'd appreciate. Not that you are defeatist but that i'm pretty sure it was you i talked to about Bill Murray's demeanor in films now.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
59. Take Shelter

Here's my review that I have previously written after my first watch

Take Shelter-Potential Spoilers

Every Hall of Fame that I have participated in has brought me a new favorite that I can watch over and over again. From Late Spring to After Hours to Ed Wood to Sideways. And now we have Take Shelter. Take Shelter is an incredible moving force full of two very powerful performances. The first is by the male lead, Michael Shannon, who seems to portray schizophrenia to a T. Every scene he is in is memorable and there may be no scene more powerful this decade than his Lions Club scene shouting there is a storm coming. I can't relate to the character itself at all, but I could feel what he is going through and he made it feel very real. Also there was Jessica Chastain who also had an astounding performance. I love how she is always by his side and even though he has nearly tore their family apart with his condition she is there to forgive him. I can't think off of the top of my head a better female performance this decade. What was most impressive to me is how well the two worked in the scenes in which they were together. The problems and the tension and struggle felt very real.

The film was shot beautifully. When we see the storm clouds it is almost majestic looking. The swarm of bird scenes are also very beautifully shot. And the direction here by Jeff Nichols is superb. A lot of people will criticize the ending, but for me it was one of the strong points of the film in that it doesn't give you a direct answer to what is happening. Is it a literal storm? Is it a metaphor? Is it a dream? You can make a case for any of the three options and it still works as a great ending for me. I'm surprised that others don't feel the same way. I need to see some other Nochols work after seeing this one.

Overall, one of the strongest films of this decade. I feel like I'm under rating it a bit but it is certain to go up with another watch I would assume. After 10 films I can say this will be a high threat on my list.

Unregistered User
59. Take Shelter

Here's my review that I have previously written after my first watch

Take Shelter-Potential Spoilers

Every Hall of Fame that I have participated in has brought me a new favorite that I can watch over and over again. From Late Spring to After Hours to Ed Wood to Sideways. And now we have Take Shelter. Take Shelter is an incredible moving force full of two very powerful performances. The first is by the male lead, Michael Shannon, who seems to portray schizophrenia to a T. Every scene he is in is memorable and there may be no scene more powerful this decade than his Lions Club scene shouting there is a storm coming. I can't relate to the character itself at all, but I could feel what he is going through and he made it feel very real. Also there was Jessica Chastain who also had an astounding performance. I love how she is always by his side and even though he has nearly tore their family apart with his condition she is there to forgive him. I can't think off of the top of my head a better female performance this decade. What was most impressive to me is how well the two worked in the scenes in which they were together. The problems and the tension and struggle felt very real.

The film was shot beautifully. When we see the storm clouds it is almost majestic looking. The swarm of bird scenes are also very beautifully shot. And the direction here by Jeff Nichols is superb. A lot of people will criticize the ending, but for me it was one of the strong points of the film in that it doesn't give you a direct answer to what is happening. Is it a literal storm? Is it a metaphor? Is it a dream? You can make a case for any of the three options and it still works as a great ending for me. I'm surprised that others don't feel the same way. I need to see some other Nochols work after seeing this one.

Overall, one of the strongest films of this decade. I feel like I'm under rating it a bit but it is certain to go up with another watch I would assume. After 10 films I can say this will be a high threat on my list.

Excellent choice Raul!

58. Her

Here's my write up from the 11th Hall of Fame:

Her

This was technically a Rewatch, but in a way it felt like a very fresh viewing as I feel like I had a different interpretation to the film and I felt that I could appreciate it more. To me, it shows the fragility of humans and the dependence that we have on love, relationships, and friendships. I feel like I have had the feeling because that Theodore did when he said that the OS server wasn't found. It's like not being able to contact someone you love, or even smaller, like being able to not connect to your own internet connection when you feel you "desperately" need it.

As has been stated before, the biggest piece that makes this work is the central performance of Joaquin Phoenix. I feel that his chemistry with the voice performance of Scarlett Johannson is among the best if not the best of this film decade. He was perfect for the role, and so was Johannson. I also liked the performance of Adams and it was a shame she wasn't involved more although she really had no reason to be.

There were a lot of risky scenes, but they seemed like scenes that paid off. There was also a lot of underlying humor that I found added a unique touch to the film.

A huge gamble was taken by Spike Jonze with this sort of story. He had to make something that seemed unbelievable work. And it felt really genuine. Is our world headed for this sort of technology. Well, perhaps not this far, but it isn't completely out of the stretch of the imagination.

The screenplay is hands down one of the best as well. The imagery and the score are beautiful. I feel like I'm underating this film a bit and it has a chance to become one of my favorites as I see it again. I see this film as the winner, which would be well deserved.

+

I LOVE Her.

I really loved it on a first viewing, but the second viewing really cemented this as a true favorite of mine. There is so much to this movie and I love being in this weird, different yet very familiar environment. Glad to see it pop up here.

My second watch far outweighed the first one. It wasn't in my 100 after the first watch but I was blown away with it the second time.

Yeah, for me I really liked it the first time but I admired it more on a distance than the extreme investment I had in it the second time around. Not that I wasn't invested at first, but the second viewing it sucked me all in and I was really in this world and in this relationship with the main characters. There is so much to find, study and love in this movie and I, too, wrote about it for the 11th HoF... https://www.movieforums.com/communit...70#post1582270

I've really been slacking in keeping up with this thread. Sorry about that.

Starting from my last post, of those I've seen there's actually only one that I really didn't like: Lost in Translation.

Se7en, The Departed, and Her are all favorites of mine as well, with Her currently in my top ten and The Departed being a former top ten of mine. Once Upon a Time in the West, Signs, and Take Shelter are all very good. I enjoyed Inception, but I don't have a real solid opinion of it and need to watch it again.

57. Boyhood

I have a lot of respect for the time and energy that was put into this film by Linklater. His direction is superb and among one of the better directiorial jobs that I have seen. The acting is also brilliant and on point. Patricia Arquette was great in her supporting role, and Eller Coltrane and Ethan Hawke were really good too. Loved to see the story unfold and it felt very real, something very important in a drama for me. Screenplay magnificent as well. Obviously I can see the passion that was put into a work such as this.

56. Laura

Here was my write up from the 40s Hall of Fame:

Laura

A fantastic film with a load of suspense! What really engages me is the acting in this film. Dana Andrews, Gene Tierney, Vincent Price, and Clifton Webb were all phenomenal. I loved seeing their characters develop. Tierney in particular has become a favorite of mine after only seeing her in two films I will certainly seek out her other films.

The cinematography was outstanding as well. For Preminger, I enjoyed this more than Anatomy of a Murder which I believe is the only other film of his that I have seen. He sets such a great atmosphere for a classic noir. He makes his audience engaged through the dialogue of his characters.

I will honestly admit I was actually shocked when we saw Laura again. I thought for sure the movie was indeed revolved around her murder, so for me at least that surprise element was very well done. I feel like the movie picked up a lot of pace after that. The ending in particular was really well thought out in my opinion.

This has a chance to become one of my favorite 40s movies of all time. An excellent start to this Hall of Fame and an excellent nomination.

It's so hard for me to watch Boyhood, I sware. Every time I do, I'm like "nope, gotta start selling all of my things, I need to move to Texas, go to college, and have a life changing experience." That damn Linklater.

But, in all seriousness, it's a great movie, I can't decide if this, or Before Sunset is my favorite of his.