Oscar's Best Actor 2016

Tools    

Which one will be named Best Actor come Oscar night?
2.94%
1 votes
Bryan Cranston, TRUMBO
8.82%
3 votes
Matt Damon, THE MARTIAN
67.65%
23 votes
Leonardo DiCaprio, THE REVENANT
20.59%
7 votes
Michael Fassbender, STEVE JOBS
0%
0 votes
Eddie Redmayne, THE DANISH GIRL
34 votes. You may not vote on this poll

I haven't seen The Revenant.

1. Michael Fassbender, Steve Jobs
2. Matt Damon, The Martian
3. Leonardo DiCaprio, The Revenant
4. Bryan Cranston, Trumbo
5. Eddie Redmayne, The Danish Girl

Of the four acting categories this is the one with the least amount of drama, when predicting the winner. Leonardo DiCaprio will win this in a walk. I guess it's fun to be catty so all of these memes about DiCaprio wanting an Oscar have popped up, but honestly I don't get in any way shape or form that he took a challenging job with a director who does interesting work in some calculated effort to "finally get his Oscar". If he already had won three Oscars, would he not have been interested in this project? Of course he would. But whatevs.

I honestly wasn't overly impressed with DiCaprio's earliest roles in This Boy's Life and What's Eating Gilbert Grape?, the second of which netted him his first nomination. I didn't think he was bad in those roles, I just didn't think he was amazing. But as his career continued, I cannot fault him with his choices. Even if the movies didn't always turn out to be masterpieces, that he was attracted to The Basketball Diaries and Total Eclipse instead of being in a string of teen comedies where he could have gotten paid more, and which I'm sure agents all over town were urging him to jump into, is cool to me. Titanic made him an instant movie star, but with his new found power and celebrity he signed up for movies with Woody Allen and Danny Boyle, consciously playing against his massive success, not pandering to it or trying to replicate it. By the time he started working with Scorsese in Gangs of New York and The Aviator, I was finally impressed not just with his choices but with his acting.

The Revenant is his fifth nomination (The Wolf of Wall Street, Blood Diamond, The Aviator, What's Eating Gilbert Grape?). He is forty-one, with twenty-two years between the first and most recent noms. That's hardly a huge drought, really, in Oscar history terms. If (when) he wins this year, compare him to Paul Newman, a gorgeous and popular movie star of the previous era. Newman finally won his Oscar for The Color of Money, which was his eighth nomination, with twenty-eight years between his first nod and his win. Oh, and he was sixty-one. Al Pacino (not so gorgeous) didn't win until his eighth nomination (his seventh came the same year, double nominated in lead and supporting categories) at the age of fifty-three, with twenty years between first nom and his win. So that Leo is forty-one with five total nominations isn't a big frippin' deal.

But all of this tangential talk of how long it has been and that he's never won are really secondary to the fact that he is really damn good in The Revenant. He's not winning this year just because he hasn't won before. He's winning because it's a great performance in a great movie.

None of the other four nominees really have a chance.

After conquering television and rightly winning every award and accolade possible for his towering work as Walter White in "Breaking Bad", you knew Bryan Cranston was going to get a couple shots at turning that heat and mighty accomplishment into some starring roles on the big screen. His portrayal of Dalton Trumbo is solid, but I don't think Jay Roach (Meet the Parents, Austin Powers) made much of a movie. It's watchable, but Peter Askin's 2007 documentary, also titled simply Trumbo, is a lot better with this same material, and in the specific subgenre of movies about the Hollywood Blacklist, this Trumbo is nowhere near as powerful or as funny as The Front starring Wood Allen. Cranston has no shot of winning this year, but hopefully he can add this to his "Breaking Bad" cred and he finds himself attached to a top shelf project with an A-List director.

Matt Damon is an Oscar winner...though not as an actor. He and Affleck of course won Best Original Screenplay for Good Will Hunting. Matt was Oscar nominated as Best Actor for that as well (the year Nicholson won for the third time, for As Good As It Gets), but his only other nomination was as Best Supporting Actor in Eastwood's Invictus (Christoph Waltz won for Inglorious Basterds). I think he does a really fine movie star turn in The Martian, but if he's destined to win an Oscar for his acting he'll have to wait for another flick.

The Actors Branch of the Academy gives Eddie Redmayne more affirmation by nominating him the year after he won Best Actor (for The Theory of Everything, if you already forgot). He may well win the Razzie for the Sci-Fi mess Jupiter Ascending for another of his films this year, and while Redmayne's physicality and vulnerability are appropriate if one-note as Lili Elbe, one of the first known people to attempt gender reassignment surgery back in the 1920s, Tom Hooper's movie is simultaneously dull and shrill. Happily the Oscar voters didn't heap tons of nominations on the film, but understandable why they went with Eddie again. He will not win and join Tom Hanks and Spencer Tracy as the only back-to-back Best Actor winners. But I hope he gets that Razzie.

Michael Fassbender is a terrific actor. Always magnetic on screen (not meant to be a Magneto pun), even when he plays a straight up villain or these darker characters with murky moral centers. Danny Boyle's Steve Jobs, from an Aaron Sorkin script, is staged and constructed more like a play than a film, and even though Fassbender looks nothing like Steve Jobs and the action of the film is entirely in the form of dialogue, he is captivating. His only other nomination was two years ago, in the supporting category for 12 Years A Slave, but he probably could/should have been nominated for Fish Tank, Hunger, and Shame, for starters. In other 2015 releases alone he was also excellent in Macbeth and Slow West. He will absolutely win one or two Oscars in his career. But he'll have to wait.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	leo1.jpg
Views:	691
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	23722  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Man if Leo doesn't win this one I don't see him winning one until he is like 60 playing an old dad. And by then I'll just be sad that A.) It took that long to give him one and B.)He will look better than me at 40.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

Anyone else feel like Fassbender's performance might have been better than Leo's? Leo is being treated like a lock because he's "overdue", but the superiority of his performance isn't really that clear-cut to me.

Please hold your applause till after the me.
Why do I get the worst feeling that this is the way the this category will go.

And the Oscar goes to, Leonardo DiCaprio for The Revenant, as announced by Steve Harvey.

Please hold your applause till after the me.
Anyone else feel like Fassbender's performance might have been better than Leo's? Leo is being treated like a lock because he's "overdue", but the superiority of his performance isn't really that clear-cut to me.
While I thought Fassbender was stunning and definitely deserved his nomination, DiCaprio managed to leave a huge impression and he didn't have much dialogue, and when he did, a fair amount of the time it was in another language, I think that that is far more impressive a performance. That's why I think Leo should win, not because it's overdue, because he left a gigantic impression even when he hardly talked.

Ok can I ask this question with all this oscar Boycotting because no black actor or so on have nominations. can someone tell me a movie or performance a black person had done this year that warranted an oscar or globe statue.

In the least surprising award of the night, Leo DiCaprio did exactly as expected and won Best Actor for The Revenant. The best thing about this is it will finally kill all those annoying fu*king memes.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	leo.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	24400  

I am the Watcher in the Night
I can't begrudge Leo his oscar, one of my fav actors in recent years but that was far from his best performances and definitely not the best male performance of the year. Oh well, he's still cool.

"I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle"

Welcome to the human race...
The best thing about this is it will finally kill all those annoying fu*king memes.
The memes about him not winning may be over, but now the memes about him having finally won have started and they look like they're going to be just as annoying (if not more so).

The memes about him not winning may be over, but now the memes about him having finally won have started and they look like they're going to be just as annoying (if not more so).
It's like a horror movie where every time you kill the aliens, they turn into something even worse.