Movie Tab II

Tools    

You're a Genius all the time
Billy Elliot's a movie that I kind of wanted to see when I was younger, but it's never been able to make that quantum leap on my netflix queue.

Anyway, I'm seriously bummed that even flippin linespalsy wasn't impervious to Ben Button's wiles.

A visual bonanza? Fine.

Worth shedding a tear for? No!

Anyway, I'm seriously bummed that even flippin linespalsy wasn't impervious to Ben Button's wiles.

A visual bonanza? Fine.

Worth shedding a tear for? No!
I didn't cry over Benjamin Button either, I agree with lines the film lost it's way two thirds of the way through. It started brilliantly but once BB turned into Brad Pitt (as we know him) I drifted into the realms of ceiling staring boredom. It's a shame because up until that point the film had a real sense of magic and wonder; sadly that all but evaporated when it turned into a straight romance flick.

I've also gotta disagree with Mark to a certain extent re his comments about it not being a Forest Gump redux; I was constantly reminded of Zemeckis's movie throughout. That's not a particularly bad thing because I love Forest Gump (which does make me cry), but come on, there are lots of parallels there. Overall I'd give The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button a very generous
- which would have a lot been higher but for that saggy mid section.

NOTORIOUS

Christopher "Biggie" Wallace was not a perfect man and one of the film's strongest points is that it doesn't shy away from that fact or choose to glorify the gangster mentality that got him into the spotlight in the first place. Instead the story makes it clear that Biggie had a solid understanding of right and wrong and chronicles how a studious well mannered boy from Brooklyn grew up to be known as "The Notorious B.I.G.". It's that morality war waged within the main character that really carries the film and elevates it above the ho-hum affair that it so very easily could have been. Also worth mentioning, as far as the story goes, it's really interesting! There's sex, drugs, violence, music, and it all plays out in a fairly realistic manner. This is after all based on true events.

The movie opens a bit shaky, with a mercifully short set-up of Biggie's childhood, but from there the film takes off because that's when newcomer Jamal Woolard steps in as an adolescent Christopher Wallace and plays that role to the end of the film, at which point Biggie is only 24 years old. I was pretty excited by the idea of this movie (Life After Death is one of my favorite albums) but one major hang-up I had about it going in was this guy Woolard. In all the previews for the film he always struck me as a bit too soft for the role of "The Notorious B.I.G." but the film works that quality of his to its benefit. Which is not to say that Woolard didn't surprise me by playing a better thug than I thought him capable of, because he did. He makes every facet of the Biggie character believable, and there are a lot. He was a hood, a momma's boy, a ladies' man, and a world class emcee.

One of the most pleasant surprises Notorious had to offer me was its amazing supporting cast consisting of a gaggle of African American actors that you either may or may not know. All the women in Biggie's life are played well and the screenwriters were kind enough to mold them into more three-dimensional female figures than we're used to seeing in these kinds of movies. Amongst the excellent male actors, Derek Luke stood out in particular as Sean "Puffy" Combs who gets a much better treatment here than he does from the present-day media.

Now, a warning. You don't have to be a rap/hip-hop fan to enjoy the movie but it certainly helps. Part of what makes the character of Christopher Wallace such a treat to watch on-screen is the knowledge of knowing that he has been endowed with a genuine gift. The gift of gab... kind of. And if you just don't get how awesome a thing it is to watch the big man step up to the mike and drop his lines then you'll obviously miss some of that intended effect.

Overall, this was a very fun time at the movies and though you may not fall into the film's intended demographic, I suggest you at least consider giving it a shot.

Welcome to the human race...

Braveheart (Gibson, 1995) -

I've always been rather wary of watching Braveheart - it seemed like one of those overly dramatic and unnecessarilyy lengthy period pieces that win lots of awards come Oscar time and gets a lot of praise from ordinary moviegoers for just giving them a rather simplistic "epic" to enjoy. Then again, I find there's quite a few fans of the film on this site, so I was willing to give it a chance.

I wonder if I should bother with a plot description because let's be honest, has anyone here not heard about Braveheart (and if they have, they surely know the basic gist) but better to be safe than sorry. Braveheart is a classic underdog story - lowly Scottish peasant William Wallace (Mel Gibson) decides to rebel against his English overlords after they kill his one true love, which in turns leads to him leading a larger force against the armies of England. That's about as basic as the plot gets right there.

I've often heard Braveheart is grossly inaccurate when it comes to depicting the actual events that Wallace's story is based around, yet this didn't bother me so much as the film went on. I have to admit, I actually liked Braveheart. Even if the history of the events is heavily altered, it still looks like a very convincing portrayal of medieval Europe. The battle scenes are also a treat and one of the best things about the movie. The battles alone give this movie an extra popcorn box. Outside of that, the film was watchable, although not overly compelling. I will also pay the fact that the final 20 or so minutes are, while somewhat clichéd, are still surprisingly good.

If it makes you feel any better, my little sister called me a sap.

Honkytonk Man (1982, Clint Eastwood)
The first thing you hear when the DVD menu loads is Clint Eastwood singing. I wasn't sure what to think as this was the first time I heard his singing voice. Not that it's bad, it was just something I wasn't used to. I was a bit skeptical as I figured he'd be singing a lot throughout the film. Sure enough though, I got used to Clint singing after he played his first song. I was even singing along myself by the end! But there's a lot more to this film than just honky tonks and guitars. I found it to be a rather affectionate and often adventureous road movie. Set during the depression, it tells the story of a struggling country singer fighting through tuberculosis. Along with his nephew Whit (played by Clint's son, Kyle) he heads to Nashville to audition for the Grand Ole Opry which may be his last chance to make it big.

Welcome to the human race...

Three Colours: Blue (Kieslowski, 1993) -

I'm willing to bet most of the people who have seen Blue may be rather shocked at my relatively low rating for the film, but yes, it's true. I didn't really care too much for the film. In its favour, I will admit that I like the look of the film and the plot and acting was engaging enough to stop me falling asleep, but that's about it. Funnily enough, despite the adage that "no bad movie is ever too short", this one actually flew by (or at least, the point at which the film ended took me by surprise). But yeah, I don't really feel like I could get into it for whatever reason. Oh, well. I'll still check out White and Red later.

Pride And Glory -

I'm really surprised by this one, I mean I don't remember it being anywhere near this great as when I saw it in theaters back in October. Even then I didn't think that it would be a great movie with rewatches, but I'm sure glad I decided to buy it and rewatch it tonight because it got much better with a rewatch. I remembered some of the scenes lagging a bit from when I saw it in theaters, but surprisingly, I feel that this didn't really get slow once tonight. I think I didn't like how maybe one or two scenes were shot, but besides that I basically had no problem with this movie.

Ed Norton, Colin Ferrell, and Noah Emmerich lead this powerful drama, with some of the best acting that I've seen in a movie from 2008. I'm actually quite surprised to see that none of them even got one nomination at the oscars this year, but then again I don't really like many of the oscar choices this year. I would even go as far to say that this is the best performance that I've seen Colin Ferrell in yet, but just so you know, I haven't had a chance to see In Bruges yet, which I know has gotten a lot of praise and I really want to see it. I would say that this is Norton's best performance, but if I did, I'd be lieing because I doubt any performance of his will ever top him in Fight Club. Noah Emmerich is the one that surprised me most though, even though I don't think he was the best out of the three of them, I think he deserves the most reconition for his role in this because, besides The Truman Show, I didn't really think he could particually act that great.

Don't decide if you want to see the movie from the trailer though, because the trailer is really misleading. The ending is by far the best thing about this though, even though it's really hard to tell when the actual ending starts, once you notice it, you'll love it. I say that because, if you haven't seen it before, you may think that the movie is about to end, but in reality it has another hour left in the movie. If you haven't had the chance to see this yet, I'd suggest going out and at least renting it now that it's out on DVD, I'd personally recommend it for a buy on DVD though.

Iroquois, the film might grow on you after you've seen the other two in the trilogy, on the other hand it might not. But if you're going to watch the whole trilogy, I think it's usually best to watch them all within a week or so.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Hey Movie Man, what's the movie about?
Basically, these 4 cops get killed while trying to take down this drug dealer, then this whole investigation starts into finding this guy along the way they seem to find out a lot more than they thought though. That's basically all I can tell you without really spoiling anything, which I don't want to do, because there quite a few twists in this movie.

Thanks, I'll have to check it out. I take it it's out on video now.
Yeah it just came out this week.

Oh man, thought I was the only one that saw Pride & Glory. I didn't think it was great but it was pretty darn good considering the trailer was garbage, but you've already made the point that it was misleading. I would disagree with you somewhat on the acting though. I found Ed Norton and Jon Voight to be surprisingly lackluster while Farrell really carried the weight of the movie with his decidedly menacing performance which I thought never thought went "too far". Good write-up, in any case. Thumbs high!

And get to watching In Bruges!

Yes, I really want to see In Bruges too, but every time I go to the movie store the three copies are rented out. I guess that's a good sign, but it's also really annoying.

Underworld: Evolution

Yech. I watched this movie against my better judgment. I didn't care much for the first film at all but I was once again reeled in on the fantastic premise of a world in which both vampires and werewolves live. Also I watch movies at the theater for free so I wanted to get up to speed for the most recent installment (I'm almost sure it'll be a steaming pile of poo) in the franchise. So yeah, those are my excuses for watching a movie that I knew full well would be neither worth my time nor the electricity spent to power my television and DVD player.

The story... is absolutely impossible to explain. I probably should have re-watched the first "movie" so I knew what the hell was going on here. I guess the most important part is Selene (I think that's her name) and her new sweetie, who is a werewolf/vampire hybrid, are on the run from this really old super vampire and are trying to stop him from releasing his brother who is the world's first werewolf. *sigh* What cuts deepest about this franchise is that it could've been so good! A universe where both vampires and werewolves co-exist. These are the kinds of things that keep children up at night, not because that possibility freaks them out, but because the possibility of that is so freakin' cool. So where does this awesome idea fall on its face? Well, the stories in both films are too plot driven and never give us time to breath in the potentially wonderful world that the writers should have given some thought too. The action is damn mediocre. The only really cool part I can remember in either film is where Selene blows a hole through the floor with her dualies. Also the characters are pathetic. They are given almost zero interesting background and the information devulged has to do with furthering the sub-par storyline. Last but not least is the dialogue, which sucks.

The only good thing that has come out of me seeing this movie is that I have finally seen the light on the whole Kate Beckinsale thing. She is one hot momma.

Oh man, thought I was the only one that saw Pride & Glory.
I really liked Pride & Glory too. Not as much as you though, MovieMan. But I liked it, didn't think I would though, only watched it because that's what my friends wanted to watch.

But it suprised me. I liked the gritty style, and Colin Farrell does do a great performance. I'd probably give it

In Bruges is on my rental list.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
The Age of Innocence (1993)

i thought it was really well-done, and i was really pleased with the ending.
4 out of 5

Slumdog Millionaire (2008)

5 out of 5