30-Days Of Night Brings Back Depraved Evilness Of Vampires

→ in
Tools    

This movie brings back the savagery and utter depraved evilness of vampires, along with their speed, intelligence and their total contempt for humankind.

This is long overdue, considering the legion of suave, human-loving vampires being pushed down horror fans throats over the years.David Slade, the director of this fresh, yet primal movie based on a graphic comic, has brought to life the utter chaos and mayhem a band of vampires bring to the small town of Barrow, Alaska as it goes dark for 30 days because of it Northern latitude.

This is accomplished throughout the film, but an aerial shot early in the movie showing bands of citizens shooting vainly into vampires in the middle of main street, who summarily then rip them apart, creates a war scene that captures the essence of hopelessness and mayhem being wrought upon the sub-zero town.

Excellent plot structure

Another reason "30 Days of Night" is an instant horror classic is its strong plot structure. The dual conflict of Barrow's sheriff Eben Oleson (Josh Hartnett) trying to figure out what went wrong between him and his estranged wife Stella ( Melissa George), who is stranded in the town because she missed the last plane out, and how to keep them and the surviving town members alive until the sun rises again, gives the film depth. As the sheriff, his estranged wife and the townsfolk hide, huddled up in a small attic and watch as the band of vampires led by a bloodsucking monster named Marlow(Danny Huston) use their fellow humans as bait to flush them out, the tension builds and makes you feel like this is the first horror movie you've ever seen!

Superlative vampires

But as good as the plot and acting is, the best component is the depiction of the vampires! They speak an unknown Slavic-sounding language, which accentuates the ugliness of their believable, pale, distorted features -- and their hideous, razor-like teeth.

Marlow, the head vampire, is something of a harsh teacher, who speaks this tongue, which is translated with subtitles, whenever he wants to make an important point to his underlings.In one scene after breaking the neck of the human slave after telling him he would reward him for making it possible for the vampires to invade Barrow, Marlow looks at his female companion vampire and says, "They are like children. They believe anything that we tell them."

In another scene when Marlow is about to tear the throat out of a townswoman and she calls upon God to help her, Marlow looks at her astonished and says: "God? There is no God!" The other vampires move with lightening speed and quickly snatch their prey off to a hidden corner or under a crawl space to devour them like a piece of raw meat. Their depiction as putrid, sub-animal creatures of hell, comes across convincingly and makes one believe they are indeed real!

Surprise ending

Finally, without revealing the ending for those who have not seen the movie, I have to say it was inventive and somewhat surprising, if not sad. The movie definitely lived up to its hype, and was well worth the price of admission!

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Wow, I thought the ending was horrible.

The entire last 20 minutes is laughable and ridiculous. Aside from a wicked over the head town shot and the gore, this movie was bad.

Suspect's Reviews

While I agree the ending had some far fetched aspects, it did resolve both conflicts and tie the flick up into a neat bow.

Obviously, I like it.

Well, Ced (scuse the pun)

Based on your review and the fact that I wanted to see the movie but was waiting for something to show up and push me, I have added it to my Netflix cue.

'Marlow' sounds like 'Barlow' which was King's name for the head vampire in Salem's Lot. I am making no point whatsoever, just sayin'.

You might like it Toose, I certainly won't be caught calling it "Epic" or anything, but it was ok for what it was.

Meadows and Wook Obsessive
I really enjoyed this film, saw it at a preview and was really impressed by it.

The jumps are hard hitting too :P

This movie did not grab me. Maybe it works better in a movie theatre and not at home, but I thought the flick was stupid. I thought the characters made dumb moves... the vampires annoyed me because they seemed like a cult. They always followed this one guy's orders. He wasn't even a very impressive guy, either - in vampire looks and vampire personality. I like my vampires being more independent. Dracula rules because he's got his own crib in Transylvania. The only people who follow him around are his three vampire vixens, who are their for only certain needs of Dracula's. Of course, there is that one other guy - Renfield(?) - but that guy was just clingy.

North American Scum!
I loved the new take on vampires but frankly this movie could have been so much more. Please don't take offense but seriously the ending...just plain horrible. Reminded me of Underworld 2 which imo was another weak vamp movie.

They also could have been given a better entrance. You know build up the suspense more. I thought I would **** my pants from the preview but I didn't even come close because they were just too in my face from the very beginning. Their familiar, however, creeped the hell out of me. Jesus.

But back to the vamps. Without the spooky build-up it really just ends up being a gore fest with lots of bursting jugulars and severed carotids at the hands of the vamps. And what was with the asian vampires? Or was I just imagining them. But I will give you the 'No God' scene was great.

Ultimately okay movie. Not bad but definetly not a masterpiece imo...but I don't watch horror so much so my opinion is a little invalid.

p.s. the books Dracula and Salem's Lot rule!

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
Really enjoyed it, but then, I'm a huge fan of director David Slade, and the actors Danny Hutson and Ben Foster.
I loved the crane scene, seeing the carnage/battelfield as the vampires go on their primary attack from high above really worked for me.
In my opinion, the best vampire flick since Lost Boys, but without the dodgy 80's fashion and mullets!

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

I like your whole critique, but regardless of the film I don't think that, even if it did bring back some of what the vampires are (or were) I have to say honestly that I don't believe it lived up to the graphic novel. I was creeped completely by those comic strips, and the eeriness and desperation that surrounds and engulfs the entire plot. When I first heard of the film's release I got very disappointed because I was almost positive that this was going to be another one of those overrated horror flicks that is no different from the countless that are made these days. The film is fine, and it is well made, but I just don't think it was really able to capture what I got from the original "script" so to speak.

But, again, that's just me.

Stuck in the middle with you.
i suffer from chickenshitis so i won't be seeing this anytime soon.

Stuck in the middle with you.
well looke dup the plot on wikipedia i like the plot as if i were to do anything horror with my lif eit'd be a horror writer so check back into Fan Fiction in a bit to see my mastery

really nice review! ok, so totally watched this one locked away in my bedroom with earphones, so maybe its just me, but this is the first really interesting blood/gore/hack film I've seen in awhile, and I dont really do blood/gore unless its somehow scifi.

I dont read the comic, but as a standalone film, it was good in this regard - they completely captured the claustrophobic/paranoia/despair feelings that typically accompany Steven King movies. (I know this isnt SK, but he is my benchmark.) And come on. You have to admit that Josh Hartnett brooding /pensive hotness is wasted on anything other than horror. This was almost a throwback to the The Faculty, just that ole Josh is all growed up! (yes, I said "growed" )

other than that - as has been said above, nice way to "bring back" the real horror that is the vampire, but I have to agree with Sexy that the unversed viewer does get a strange cultish sense about the vamps - they clearly do not want to make any new vamps, or to leave anyone alive. However, I thought this was nicely explained in a one-liner the Grandpappy Vamp explained (Humans think we are a made-up story, and this must continue!) - I paraphrase, Im sure, but the understanding is clear that they are invested in continuing to hide their existence. For some reason, I also got the impression they may be the only vamps in existence?

agreed on the ending - ultra cheese.
WARNING: "spoliers" spoilers below
how do 2 grown men, one with a perilous injury, escape the clutches of several vamps by running from them out in the open, and the girl cant get away with the kid in secret??? give me a break.

the best component is the depiction of the vampires! They speak an unknown Slavic-sounding language, which accentuates the ugliness of their believable, pale, distorted features -- and their hideous, razor-like teeth.
Finally! Someone else agrees with me. Slavenians are a hideous pale sub-species with razor-like teeth.
Marlow, the head vampire, is something of a harsh teacher, who speaks this tongue, which is translated with subtitles, whenever he wants to make an important point to his underlings.In one scene after breaking the neck of the human slave after telling him he would reward him for making it possible for the vampires to invade Barrow, Marlow looks at his female companion vampire and says, "They are like children. They believe anything that we tell them."

In another scene when Marlow is about to tear the throat out of a townswoman and she calls upon God to help her, Marlow looks at her astonished and says: "God? There is no God!" The other vampires move with lightening speed and quickly snatch their prey off to a hidden corner or under a crawl space to devour them like a piece of raw meat. Their depiction as putrid, sub-animal creatures of hell, comes across convincingly and makes one believe they are indeed real!
Sub-animal creatures? Weren't they all dressed in Prada or something? I didn't get the feeling that they were animal'esque at all.

Why do vampires like suits?

From what I can remember, some of the imagery was good, but overall it never really sank its teeth into me. I don't even remember if I'd recommend it.
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.