Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
After thinking on my watch of 2001: A Space Odyssey I give it a 7.5/10. One of the best visual films I have seen, but I wish there was even more story behind it. I'm sure I'll watch it again at some point though.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I didn't find Valhalla Rising boring. It was really fascinating with its deep atmosphere. Read more about Odin and think about Jesus, mrtylerdurden.

God I wish 2001 had more sequences like the trippy one in the end and even less story.

But I'm mental.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I mean, I've been pretty generous with movie reviews, I just seriously did NOT like Valhalla Rising.
Fire walk with me.

Moon was OK. That's about all I can say.
I agree with this. I think I rated it about the same. Could've been a little lower, but it's about right.
"Oh it's an artful masterpiece"
Who was calling it that? Honestly, this has never looked anything than utter ****, IMO.

Sometimes I think Nicolas Winding Refn is way too overrated.
No need to include the word "sometimes".

Did my thoughts on it make sense to you?
Yes. Its not as violent as A Serbian Film but just as extreme.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Valhalla Rising is quite simple.

WARNING: "Valhalla Rising" spoilers below
The movie is about the creation of Christianity and decay of paganism. Or more like the latter transforming into the first. The main hero, who might be Odin himself, a glorious mute mystical entity, is brutal, violent and harsh - animal-like. These are atributes of heathens. He is imprisoned (like animal) but manages to get free. He has to deal with others he already knows. No problemo. But there's something new. New religion. It's Christianity. The believers are neophytes. They want to prove something or find Absolute and therefore continuously wander in order to find the Holy Land. When they find it (or not) and discover a new land they start to doubt their religion and find out they still behave in heathen way. The One-Eye is calm, because he's still in his world. It's the crusaders that are pagans on this land. It looks like the new (old) land is inhabited with some unknown people. However their behaviour is no different from the people from the beginning of the movie. They are heathens too. One-Eye is tranquil and allows them to bash him with maces. At the same time he dips himself in the water. The impossible construction of stones he made earlier still standing strong. This is a hint that he wasn't killed, it was a sacrifice, but he was killed only physically. Just like Jesus who died on his cross and then returned he will return, but not with Paganism, but with new religion - Christianity that draws so much from heathen believes. I don't remember much about the boy from the movie as I've seen it more than one year ago, but I think he's the key to understand the movie.

I'm pretty sure it will not change your opinion on the movie, but...

That's cool and interesting Mr Minio and that certainly sheds light on the movie, but there's no way I would have been able to figure that out with what the director gave me. I also just didn't like it. It bored me. That is a really interesting thing about it though and helps me understand a little more.

Classic.

I just watched this and am really happy I did. I can certainly see why it's hailed as a classic, and that's because it is. The story is about 12 men on a jury who have to decide on a verdict. At the beginning, 11 vote guilty and one votes not guilty. They all look at him like he's crazy, but as he starts to state his opinion, it starts to make more sense. Seeing these men argue about this case is delightfully entertaining. Seeing each man crumble and crack at the sheer pressure of the matter at hand is delightful. I really enjoyed this movie and it had me entertained for the whole 90 minutes. I really liked seeing each man's opinion on the story, and I loved seeing each man's opinion change. The acting was great all around, each man brings his own to the table and each character is different. What's interesting is you know someone who is like every one of the men in the room. The characters seem real and they are a lot like some of the people you talk with everyday. I'd also like to say that the camerawork is fantastic. The camera floats flawlessly from character to character and smoothly pans across the room with grace, all the while without distracting from the story. The camera almost felt like a ghost floating from character to character, hearing what they have to say. It is really pulled off well.

All in all, I really enjoyed 12 Angry Men and see why it is called a classic.

Boring as crap.

Honestly, I freaking hated this movie. I was waiting for something to happen and it never did. "Oh it's an artful masterpiece" HOW? I can handle movies with little dialogue but when it's a camera pointed at someone's face for like 5 minutes when they're not doing or saying anything I get bored. I kept thinking "there's got to be something awesome coming up." nope. A fight scene here and there. Some people say it stays in your mind. How? Nothing happened! Some fight scenes, some red people and some pretty shots of the landscape. That's it. I hated this movie and I did not enjoy it in the least. If you want to be slightly entertained, don't watch Valhalla Rising because I didn't find it entertaining at all. Sometimes I think Nicolas Winding Refn is way too overrated.

Sorry you didnt like it.. its one of my favorites.... Its a very artistic film and I agree with Mr Minio's post about what it could possibility mean.... I understand this film isnt for everyone but I really did enjoy it and it was the film that got me hooked on Mads Mikkelsen's amazing acting ability. As the quote in my signature is from Mads Dittman Mikkelsen and its so true about acting.... "Sometimes you can make a scene even more powerful and precise without dialogue". This is so true when it comes to films like Valhalla Rising.... no words were spoken but his ability to express thru his actions and expressions....

I wish you would attempt to give it another try..... but thats is just wishful thinking.

"If nautical nonsense be something ye wish.." then don't watch All is Lost.

All is Lost is amazing. I often times found myself hypnotized by what was on screen. The beautiful ocean scenery and wonderful underwater shots really fill the story well. The camerawork is good and so are the special effects. The story is very simple. A man stranded at sea by a storm. That's it. The story, while simple, is still entertaining and interesting.

Robert Redford is great in this movie. He doesn't seem like Robert Redford on a boat. It seems like some man who has had years of experience on a boat. If someone told me this was a documentary, I would believe it. If Robert Redford wasn't famous and someone told me this was a documentary it would be believable. That's how good his performance is, and how believable the story is.

The movie did drag at certain points, but you can't expect it to be action packed when it's a movie about one character at sea with very little spoken dialogue. They probably could have cut some scenes short though.

All is Lost is a pretty good movie. Redford's performance is spectacular and the special effects and story are believable. My only problem was that the story dragged at times.

Straw Dogs (1971)

The Dustin Hoffman marathon continues...

Hoffman plays David, a timid American mathematician, who moves to a small village in England with his gorgeous English wife Amy, played by blonde bombshell Susan George, to escape the chaos of anti-war protests back home. David and Amy are met with real danger when the locals that David hires to renovate their farmhouse, one of whom is Amy's ex-lover and all of whom mock David's mannerisms and lust over Amy, disrupt their lives, forcing them to become violent.

The movie is famous for the infamous rape scene and bloody finale. But there's more to it than that. A true examination of how thin the line is between fear, violence, peace, and chaos.

Next up...Tootsie

"If nautical nonsense be something ye wish.." then don't watch All is Lost.

All is Lost is amazing. I often times found myself hypnotized by what was on screen. The beautiful ocean scenery and wonderful underwater shots really fill the story well. The camerawork is good and so are the special effects. The story is very simple. A man stranded at sea by a storm. That's it. The story, while simple, is still entertaining and interesting.

Robert Redford is great in this movie. He doesn't seem like Robert Redford on a boat. It seems like some man who has had years of experience on a boat. If someone told me this was a documentary, I would believe it. If Robert Redford wasn't famous and someone told me this was a documentary it would be believable. That's how good his performance is, and how believable the story is.

The movie did drag at certain points, but you can't expect it to be action packed when it's a movie about one character at sea with very little spoken dialogue. They probably could have cut some scenes short though.

All is Lost is a pretty good movie. Redford's performance is spectacular and the special effects and story are believable. My only problem was that the story dragged at times.

You gotta chime in on the ending, a bunch of us have over the past few months. Spoiler wrap it.

All is Lost spoilers

WARNING: "" spoilers below
"I found the ending to be interesting. But why is the movie called All is Lost if he survives? I guess you could say that he lost all parts of his previous life and this is him starting new. Him being rescued represents him being rescued from his previous life from BEFORE when he was on the boat. You may think that his newfound redemption lies in however much time he spent on the ocean in his boat, but I think his newfound redemption is in his rescue. He may have tried to find redemption on his own, but he couldn't do it. He needed someone else to help him. The message is sometimes we NEED other people's help and sometimes we can't do it all on our own. That's my interpretation of the ending."

I like it. That was my first thought. After hearing other people's interpretation I could go either way. Which is probably the point.

High and Low (1963)

It's 4:24 AM here and I just finished it. I'll probably write a review about this film in the near future, but let's just say that it's one of the best films I've ever seen...

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
High and Low (1963)

It's 4:24 AM here and I just finished it. I'll probably write a review about this film in the near future, but let's just say that it's one of the best films I've ever seen...
If it's that good, well then I'll be prepping it for the 60s countdown.

High and Low is fantastic. I've heard some people aren't to keen on the last twenty minutes but I thought it was great. It's definitely not my favorite Kurosawa, but that says more about his filmography than it does about H&L.

Mifune is awesome once again.

Arbitrage

When I first saw a trailer of this movie I thought it would be an edgy thriller, similar to a John Grisham adaptation... I was wrong. I am not saying this is a bad movie but it had bad elements. It seemed to be all over the place with the story, not that it was hard to follow or anything just pointless changes. Also don't get me started on the ending, they tried to make it one of those let the audience make up what happens which can work in some movies but not in this one. I do have to say I enjoy Richard Gere playing an ass rather than his sappy roles he played early in his career. Overall this movie was ok to watch but the pacing was off.

2/5 Stars