MadMikeyD's Top 100 Films

→ in
Tools    

30. The Wizard of Oz (1939, Victor Fleming)

Starring: Judy Garland, Ray Bolger, Bert Lahr, Jack Haley

This was five-year-old me's absolute favorite movie. Then I saw Star Wars. But this movie has remained high on my list of favorites and as I rewatch it now with my children it retains all the wonder it had when I was little.

29. Iron Man (2008, Jon Favreau)

Starring: Robert Downey Jr., Gwenyth Paltrow, Jeff Bridges

The first Iron Man film is almost as close as you can get to a live-action comic book.

28. Psycho (1960, Alfred Hitchcock)

Starring: Anthony Perkins, Janet Leigh

Anthony Perkins is just plain creepy.

27. X2 - X-Men United (2003, Bryan Singer)

Starring: Hugh Jackman, Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellan, Halle Berry, James Marsden, Famke Janssen

Trying to reconcile the X-Men films with the comics would be a nightmare, but Singer nailed everything good about the comics with this film. Yes, the films are a jumbled hodge-podge of 40 years of characters and storylines seemingly mixed at random, but the spirit behind them that keeps people reading is most present in this film.

26. The Fugitive (1993, Andrew Davis)

Starring: Harrison Ford, Tommy Lee Jones

Tommy Lee Jones is perfect for his role in this film and Harrison Ford is always a pleasure to watch. Both were on the top of their game in this action-packed film.

25. Elf (2003, Jon Favreau)

Starring: Will Ferrell, James Caan, Ed Asner, Zooey Deschanel, Bob Newhart

Will Ferrell's often annoying man-boy personality was perfectly suited to this whimsical Christmas tale. And Ed Asner makes a pretty good Santa Claus.

24. You Can't Take It With You (1938, Frank Capra)

Starring: James Stewart, Jean Arthur, Lionel Barrymore, Edward Arnold

Originally Posted by My Movie Thoughts thread
You Can't Take It With You is a tale of two families - the rich Kirbys and the free-living Vanderhofs. It's part Romeo and Juliet with Jimmy Stewart and Jean Arthur as the lovebirds, and the well-to-do Kirbys trying to keep them apart because of their social class. It's also part tale of the clash of ideology between Lionel Barrymore as the zany Grandpa Vanerhof and Edward Arnold as banker A.P. Kirby. Arnold is always great in these evil rich guy roles. And it's hard to believe sweet old Grandpa Vanderhof would play the complete opposite role as Mr. Potter in It's a Wonderful Life eight years later.

Along the way we get lots of laughs from the crazy characters in the Vanderhof household, which is full of not only family members, but other people who just came to stay and do whatever it is they want to do. The mayhem on the night the Kirbys visit is a blast.

While the social commentary in this film is not as heavy as it is in other Capra films, like Mr. Deeds Goes to Town or Meet John Doe, it's still there. Mr. Kirby learns that true happiness doen't come from money or big deals, but from just enjoying your family and life in general. We all wish at some point or another that we could live like the Vanderhofs. In reality, of course, we know we can't, but it is possible to find a balance somewhere in the middle.

I really enjoy this picture and I laugh a lot watching it. I thought my kids might enjoy it also with all the crazy characters in it. I was wrong on that. They did like some of the characters, but for the most part they found it too long and not exciting enough. Oh well. It's still one of my favorites.
23. Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan (1982, Nicholas Meyer)

Starring: William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, DeForest Kelley, Ricardo Montalban

Easily the best Star Trek film. After an abysmal first feature film, Nicholas Meyer took a one-off villain from the TV series and turned him into Captain Kirk's equivilant of Superman's Lex Luthor or Batman's Joker. Add in the emotional ending and this is an example of sci-fi at its best.

22. Star Wars - Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (2005, George Lucas)

Starring: Hayden Christensen, Ewan McGregor, Natalie Portman, Samuel L. Jackson

For decades we waited to see this battle and, while it did not meet everyone's expectations, it lived up to mine. Not quite on par with the original trilogy, but easily the best of the prequels.

21. The Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers (2002, Peter Jackson)

Starring: Elijah Wood, Sean Astin, Ian McKellan, Viggo Mortensen, Christopher Lee

The middle chapter of Peter Jackson's masterful adaptation of Tolkein's masterpiece. It seems this film deviated the most from the source material, which may be the reason I enjoy it slightly less than the other two films.

20. Mr. Mom (1983, Stan Dragoti)

Starring: Michael Keaton, Terri Garr, Martin Mull, Ann Jillian, Christopher Lloyd

Michael Keaton at his comedic best. This is what would happen if my wife went to work and I stayed home with the kids, I am pretty certain.

19. Toy Story 2 (1999, John Lasseter, Lee Unkrich)

Starring: Tom Hanks, Tim Allen

The first - and for a long time, only - Pixar sequel. Very nearly as good as the original. For movies about toys, these movies sure seem to have a lot of meaning.

18. The Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring (2001, Peter Jackson)

Starring: Elijah Wood, Sean Astin, Ian McKellan, Viggo Mortensen, Sean Bean, Christopher Lee

The first film in Peter Jackson's masterwork, and the one that made us believe the unfilmable could finally be filmed. The emotional cliffhanger let us know this was part of a larger tale, yet it seemed strangely satisfying in its own right, as well.

17. Toy Story (1995, John Lasseter)

Who would've thought a tale about an old toy being jealous of a new toy would make such a wonderful movie?

16. Toy Story 3 (2010, Lee Unkrich)

The third in this series is the best, in my opinion. I found them all to be fun and emotional, but this one seemed the most emotional of all. Maybe it's partly because I'm looking at it as an adult. Maybe partly because my son was a year old when the first film came out and he's grown up along with Andy. Maybe it's just a dang fine picture.

15. Up (2009, Pete Docter, Bob Peterson)

Starring: Edward Asner, Christopher Plummer

What can I say about Up that has not been said already? Probably nothing, so you've probably read all of this before. Up is, IMO, the perfect animated movie. It is simultaneously wacky and out there, yet grounded and realistic. The first 15 minutes are practically the greatest and most realistic love story ever put on film, yet even my 5 year old watches attentively. Even when we leave the "reality" and enter the wackiness of the floating house, Carl is still a real person and we still can empathize with him. So we already have this great character who has suffered a great loss, and we share that with him. Then we get Russell. The wide-eyed and curious kid that also is suffering. His dad has a new family and doesn't have time for him anymore. Now we have two fantastic characters we can sympathize with and relate to. Not that this film is a downer. There is plenty of comedy, action and adventure in this film. Kids of all ages are glued to it. I would classify this as the animated equivilant of It's a Wonderful Life. Not in terms of plot or story neccessarily, but in terms of the emotional experience of viewing it. Like Capra's masterpiece, if you don't have some kind of emotional reaction to this film, you may not have a soul.
14. The Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King (2003, Peter Jackson)

Starring: Elijah Wood, Sean Astin, Ian McKellan, Viggo Mortensen

Peter Jackson's epic conclusion to his masterpiece. Many felt the film had too many endings, but in my opinion Jackson pulled off a very satisfting conclusion to the unfilmable trilogy. With the sheer amount of material he was adapting and how fanatic Tolkien fan-boys can be, Jackson skillfully pulled off a balance that left most of the readers and non-readers alike very satisfied. (The reason why I'm glad he ended up doing The Hobbit himself, since I don't think anyone else could really do it justice.)

13. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989, Steven Spielberg)

Starring: Harrison Ford, Sean Connery

One of the most fun adventure films ever. The chemestry between Ford and Connery is a definite highlight of the picture.

12. Star Wars - Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (1983, Richard Marquand)

Starring: Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Billy Dee Williams

The thrilling conclusion to the original trilogy. This film ended three years of playground debates; Is Vader Luke's father? Who is the "other" Yoda mentioned? What does Jabba the Hutt look like? For better or worse (I always liked the ewoks, but I know a lot of people didn't), this film wrapped up the most important film series of my childhood, and I loved every minute.

11. Superman - The Movie (1978, Richard Donner)

Starring: Christopher Reeve, Gene Hackman, Margot Kidder, Marlon Brando, Glenn Ford

Still my favorite of all super hero movies. Christopher Reeve will always be Superman. Gene Hackman makes a great Lex Luthor. OK, spinning the earth in reverse is rather regrettable, but those kinds of things used to happen in comics all the time before the onset of "grim and gritty realism" ruined most super hero books. Aside from that, though, Donner got everything else right, in my opinion.

Bring on the top 10! (I wonder what your #1 will be )

Making a Top 10 List is Hard..

Here are mine

1. Little Miss Sunshine
2. The Champ (1979)
3. Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
4. Human Traffic
5. Rocky II
6. Snatch
7. A Bronx Tale
8. The Shawshank Redemption
9. Boyz N the Hood
10. Dead Poets Society
Rocky just cant hel loving it.

67. Paul Blart - Mall Cop (2009, Steve Carr)

Starring: Kevin James

This is the movie I'll probably get the most grief for, but I don't care.
You should care

10. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939, Frank Capra)

Starring: James Stewart, Jean Arthur, Claude Rains, Edward Arnold

Truly one of Capra's greatest achievements. Stewart's performance - especially in the climactic filibuster - is superb.

9. Ghostbusters (1984, Ivan Reitman)

Starring: Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Sigourney Weaver, Harold Ramis, Rick Moranis

One of the funniest comedies of all-time, IMO, and sporting one of the finest comedic casts of all-time as well.

8. Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981, Steven Spielberg)

Starring; Harrison Ford, Karen Allen, Paul Freeman

Setting a new bar for all the action-adventure movies to follow it.

7. Star Wars - Episode IV - A New Hope (1977, George Lucas)

Starring: Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Alec Guiness, Peter Cusing

10 year old me would tell you this was the greatest movie ever. Going on 40 year old me still agrees it's in the top ten, so there must be something there.

6. Star Wars - Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980, Irvin Kershner)

Starring: Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Billy Dee Williams

While the original fim was as wide-eyed and naive as it's main character, this second installment was darker and upped the dramatic tensions. Ending a film with an unspoken "to be continued..." was something very different for me when I first saw it. Now, those qualities enhance my opinion of it, making it my favorite of the whole series.

5. Arsenic and Old Lace (1944, Frank Capra)

Starring: Cary Grant, Raymond Massey, Priscilla Lane, Peter Lorre

I just rewatched Arsenic & Old Lace the other night (finally). I think it's probably been 10 years or so since the last time I saw it. I had forgotten just how funny it was. I was laughing out loud the whole time. Was Cary Grant's performance a little over-the-top? Maybe, but he was absolutely hilarious. A truly fun, truly funny movie. Not the social-statement, little-guy-vs-the-system picture Capra is normally remembered for, but still an excellent piece of work and worth watching if you've never seen it.
4. Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (1936, Frank Capra)

Starring: Gary Cooper, Jean Arthur, Lionel Stander

Gary Cooper is excellent as the simple, yet sharp, Longfellow Deeds. Jean Arthur gives another excellent performance as the hard-boiled city girl softened by the wide-eyed "Cinderella Man" she initially sets out to make a stooge of. Another of Capra's finest films.

3. It Happened One Night (1934, Frank Capra)

Starring: Clark Gable, Claudette Colbert, Walter Connolly, Roscoe Karnes

Great classic film. The first film to sweep all 5 "big" Oscars - Best Picture, Director, Actor, Actress and Screenplay. The dynamic between Gable and Colbert is fantastic. So many classic moments - "Quit bawlin'!", "The Walls of Jericho.", "I won't use my thumb." Clark Gable is very funny here, which is not a trait I would have associated with him before watching this picture. A fun romantic comedy with an appeal far beyond that of the typical "chick-flicks." Though made in the 1930s the film still holds up. I think any fan of film would be well served to watch this one.
2. Meet John Doe (1941, Frank Capra)

Starring: Gary Cooper, Barbara Stanwyck, Edward Arnold, James Gleason, Walter Brennan

Frank Capra's first post-Columbia feature. Gary Cooper is excellent as Long John Willoughby. You ride right along with him as he goes from bum to celebrity, from being full of doubts to actually believing in what he is doing. Walter Brennan is also great as his friend the Colonel, and Edward Arnold is always excellent as the Capra villain. This movie is the antithesis of the belief that Capra's endings are always perfect and happy, as the conflicted ending, while not tragic, is not all sunshine and roses either.
1. It's a Wonderful Life (1946, Frank Capra)

Starring: James Stewart, Donna Reed, Lionel Barrymore, Henry Travers

I know this isn't a surprise to anyone if they've read other posts I've made...
Nothing I can say would truly do justice to this film. While most people view it as a sappy Christmas story, it is oh so much more. George Bailey, like so many of us, is a man who has had to watch all of his dreams fly away in order to fulfill the responsibilities of life. He has always acted selflessly and for the good of other, no matter the cost to himself. We get to see this from the time he was a boy, to the time his father dies, to the time his brother gets married, to the depression, to WWII. In his darkest hour, on Christmas Eve, he decides it would be better for everyone if he was dead. Even on the verge of suicide, George acts selflessly saving another man from drowning. That man turns out to be Clarence Oddbody, Angel Second Class, who shows George what the world would be like if he had never lived. The vision is a dark and twisted version of his hometown and friends. It is actually a very dark and depressing sequence. As has been said, Capra delivers happy endings, but he makes you work for them. And of course, once George, and the viewers, realize how wonderful life really is, just being with the people you love, we get our sappy, happy ending. But boy did we work for it. If you don't get watery-eyed during the finale of this film, you're heart is probably two sizes too small.

Only Capra could have made this movie, which is probably why no one before him was able to make it work. Donna Reed is fantastic. Lionel Barrymore is suitably evil. The supporting characters are all wonderfully cast.

Jimmy Stewart, who is always likeable on-screen, is perfect as George. Stewart is able to show George's growing bitterness and resentment at how his life has gone. He shows us George's happiness and unhappiness. The overwhelming despair when he's about to loose it all. The terror as he tours Pottersville. The indescribable joy as he makes it back to Bedford Falls and the people he loves. Through Stewart's performance, he takes us all through the full emotional gamut, and makes the payoff, sappy and Capra-corny as it may be, all the more satisfying.

A perfect film, not just for Christmas, but for anytime. I watch it several times every year and never fail to end up blubbering like a baby by the end.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
great job. I have a feeling I'll be updating my top 100 possibly near the mid or end of this year. Capra rules, and It Happened One Night is an absolutely awesome film. I like It's a Wonderful Life too. Mr. Smith goes to Washington is fairly good, though it's quality repeatability of watching is in question to me.

But anyways, loved the list. Lots of great films on it.

I haven't re-watched Mr. Smith as much as I've re-watched my top 5, but each time I have I've actually enjoyed it even more. I wasn't sure either, after the first watch, if it would be as good upon re-viewing, but it has proven otherwise, thus far, IMO.

I like your list, man. I'm especially fond of Up and it's good to see it up so high. There are some scenes in that film that are pure magic, among the very best I've ever watched, animation or other. I went back and forth between Wall-E and Up as my favourite Pixar film, but have settled on Up, because it's more consistent throughout.

Thanks, and yep, I do like Capra. I just like those kind of films in general. Positive films that families can watch together. Sure, my kids practically refuse to watch old black and white movies, but there's no reason they can't. That's probably why most of my more modern choices tend to be either religious in nature or Pixar selections.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Congrats on finishing Mikey. Will need to actually go back through and really examine your choices.

So just a little bit of a Capra fan eh? Don't think I've ever seen one director or star or anything dominate like that before. I've seen a few Capra and enjoyed them all so far but really need to catch up with more of them. Favourite is probably Mr Smith which I could see sneaking on to my top 100 list in the future

Out of interest have you seen Lost Horizon? Recorded it a short while back but not got round to watching it yet

Yep, seen Lost Horizon (it's #85). It's quite a departure from stuff like Deeds, Smith and Doe. Exotic locales and costumes. Ronald Colman isn't the standard Capra "everyman" hero and there are fewer comedic elements in this film. It is still a beautiful and well done film, and I enjoy it more with each viewing.