What was the last movie you saw at the theaters?

Tools    

Quarantine.
Acting wasn't too bad but camera work like The Blair Witch and Cloverfield didn't impress.

Movie Forums Extra
Twilight

it was awesome.

Australia
GRADE: D+

Don't have the time or inclination for a full review now, but basically I thought it was a mess of tone and intent veering from cartoon to supposed drama from scene to scene (sometimes within the same scene) with no cohesion. Just plain didn't work for me. Goodness, everybody go out and rent Rabbit-Proof Fence (2002) immediately for a serious and so much more effective look at the "Lost Generations" of Australia without all the comic book Western mishmashed with some vague sense of "history", ridiculously over-the-top villain, the super-magic of the noble savages and CGI close-ups. And Rabbit-Proof Fence is actually based on a real story of three little girls, not archetypal composites and an occasional event or place.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Australia
GRADE: C-
Drats... thanks Holden. I was hoping for a little more from this one...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Originally Posted by Caitlyn
Drats... thanks Holden. I was hoping for a little more from this one...
Hey, that's just me. But I also hated Baz's Moulin Rouge!, which so many people were fanatical about.

Did you get to go see Milk yet? Oscar worthy?

Hey, that's just me. But I also hated Baz's Moulin Rouge!, which so many people were fanatical about.
Me Too

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Did you get to go see Milk yet? Oscar worthy?
He did.

Yep, had a bad feeling about this. Sigh, I'm running out of films to see in the theater...

For anybody who liked the visual spectacle of his Moulin Rouge!, I'm sure they'll find much to like about Australia, too. Doesn't have the same non-stop cutting (except in a few sequences) and much of it takes place outdoors so it's a different kind of visual than the stylized Paris of MR!, but still plenty to look at, including an often shirtless Hugh Jackman (if that's anyone's thing). But for me to enjoy it solely as a visual exercise I'd have to also turn my brain off somehow to get past the cardboard characters and hokey plotting. There was also way too much CGI and stylized nonsense even in those visuals, so it's not like it's a classic epic in the style of David Lean or anything. Far from it. And Jeepers! It is needlessly long, to boot! Two hours and forty-five minutes, and I didn't even stay through the credits which probably added another ten minutes or so. Running time alone does not an epic make.

I'm sure there are going to be people, including members of this board, who go absolutely ga-ga for it. But it ain't me, Brother.

Last night, after Thanksgiving dinner with family and friends, I went and saw the new movie Milk, with Sean Penn, who did a wonderful job playing the part of the late Harvey Milk in this cool film. It was well worth seeing, and well-done, imo, and earned the wonderful reviews that it got.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Kevin Smith's best film? Possibly. You'll have to get back to me on that one.
Blasphemy! Dogma, greatest movie ever.

I am half agony, half hope.
Role Models this morning,

Australia this afternoon.

Johann von Goethe

You're a Genius all the time
Nobody asked me what I thought of Role Models, but I'm just going to butt in here and say that I really liked it. The trailers didn't do it justice, because it is a very, very funny movie. I have a sorta love/hate relationship with David Wain; I dig the heck out of Wet Hot American Summer for some reason, but his other stuff just plain hasn't done it for me. Role Models, which I'm pretty sure has done decently at the box office, seems like slightly watered down, commercialized Wain zaniness and it's refreshing. Paul Rudd and Sean William Scott are both kind of camera muggers, (I don't really know what that means, but I think it applies to those two) and even though Rudd usually does it better, they're both likable enough in this flick. Elizabeth Banks, who I guess is pretty tight with Wain and Rudd, is wasted and McLovin doesn't do anything to escape a decade of typecasting. Bobb'e J. Thompson, meanwhile, is the standout - That kid's goin' places! Human Giant rules!