Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
Rocky Balboa -

I watched all six Rocky movies over the course of the weekend just for the hell of it, obviously concluding with this one. I don't exactly love the franchise, but it has its moments and this film in particular was still alright - though it'd have to be coming off the heels of Rocky V.

Love your rating for Trading Places, Mojofilter, I completely agree.

Thanks, cricket

Agree... Murphy at his best. That and 48 Hours are Murphy's finest.

Danny was fantastic in Trading Places too. Really shows the guy's talent for character acting.
I've always been a fan of John Landis's films. Trading Places is his most flawless.

I agree that Dan Aykroyd was great in this. In my opinion, his acting here is far better than his Academy Award nominated performance in 1989's Driving Miss Daisy.

Eddie's first 3 movies were all slam dunks: 1982's 48 Hours, 1983's Trading Places, and 1984's Beverly Hills Cop. His career peaked again with 1988's Coming to America, 1996's The Nutty Professor, and 2006's Dreamgirls. Everything in between and since 2006 ranged from extremely mediocre to extremely terrible, with the exception of 1987's Beverly Hills Cop 2, which was alright, and his 2 outstanding stand-up films, 1983's Delirious and 1987's Eddie Murphy Raw.

On a sidenote, it's too bad Eddie and Danny never collaborated again on another movie since. They seemed to have excellent chemistry.

Is it true that Eddie Murphy's role in Trading Places was originally intended for John Belushi before his death?
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

6/10

Pretty entertaining for a B-movie. It was in black and white, with cheesy fighting, and a very unrealistic plot. It was hard to make out what was going on exactly though because there is no English subtitled version. Everyone reviewing it online has watched it in Turkish as well. It was better than the 1966 Batman movie. There was a lot of nudity, and Batman even killed a couple people by shooting them. Batman and Robin both hung out at a strip club twice. I made this avatar in tribute.

Edit: Oh and Batman was a total player constantly making out with half-naked chicks.

It Happened one Night (1934)

I had never heard of Claudette Colbert before, but her and Clark Gable were great in this. Quite possibly my new favorite romantic comedy.

Need For Speed by Scott Waugh

A nice movie very entertaining. I find it very better than Fast n Furious specially because of the acting i'm a big fan of Aaron Paul since Breaking Bad so this movie is perfect for me.

7.5/10

The Way Way Back (2013)

I know it's probably not as good as I'm rating it, but it reflects the enjoyment I got out of it on my first viewing. It's just a very likable film that I would recommend to most people.

Dark, twisted black comedy. I didn't have high hopes but in fact the first half of it is quite good. Pat Healy is good. But It just doesn't develop. There's no real twists and turns and extraordinary plotlines. It's just a series of gradually more ridiculous dares really. And the ending is just a bit of a damp squib.

6/10

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
The Sacrifice- 7.5/10

Very interesting tale from Tarkovsky. Loved the story and the execution was great. So was the cinematography.

70's OverFlow continued

Aguirre, Wrath of God
(Werner Herzog, 1972)

click here for full thoughts in Nostromo's Picture Show Reflections

+
---

Superman
(Richard Donner, 1978)

i'm not really a superhero movie fan, however this was awesome. i liked all four of the major players, Marlon Brando as Jor-El, Gene Hackman as Lex Luthor, Christopher Reeve as Clark Kent / Superman, and definitely Margot Kidder as Lois Lane. i am biased with her bc she is in Black Christmas (1974), so i was happy to see her in this too. although i do think the hokiest part of the movie is when Lois Lane tries to get Superman to read her mind after he takes her flying

anyways, all in all the original Superman is likely my favorite superhero movie. which isn't saying too too much bc while i don't hate the genre, i'm not crazy about it either. so basically i think all you guys who voted in the MoFo Superhero thread screwed up by only voting this the #26 superhero movie :P. this will definitely make my 70's list

---

Rocky
(John G. Avildsen, 1976)

+

don't really think this is overly fun to watch, still, it's a good movie.. and i like the character and Stallone

Pirates of The Caribbean : At World's End (Re-Watch)

An Awesome finish for the original trilogy. Davy Jones is one of my favorite vilain of all time and Johnny Depp aka Jack Sparrow is once again so freaking amazing .Definitely one of my favorite Trilogy of all time.

9/10

Re-watch...

Robin Williams, Nathan Lane, Hank Azaria, and Gene Hackman are incredibly funny.

The movie is hilarious from start to finish.

He Got Game
(Spike Lee, 1998)

There's a great film hiding within this Spike Lee Joint, but unfortunately it's marred by Lee's overindulgence. Some scenes are completely unnecessary, other scenes drag a few seconds too long. The movie also suffers from Lee trying to cram too many messages into one film. Real-life basketball star Ray Allen adds an authenticity to the basketball scenes (as do brief appearances from several NBA stars and college coaches), but Allen lacks the ability to emote, which makes his character dull and uninteresting.

The Ballad of Cable Hogue
(Sam Peckinpah, 1970)

This lighthearted western, playfully directed by Sam Peckinpah, shares themes with The Wild Bunch and Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid, but it lacks the grit and grime and violence that I've come to expect from Peckinpah. Perhaps those preconceived notions kept me from liking the film as much as I'd hoped, since it was so different from the other Peckinpah films I've come to love. Some aspects of the film annoyed me, like the fast-forwarded, Looney-Tunes style running that is used in a few scenes. But there's still a lot in here to admire--- the performances of Jason Robards and Stella Stevens, for instance, as well as the dusty landscapes and cinematography.

Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa
(Jeff Tremaine, 2013)

Lots of scatological and testicular humor, connected by a microscopic thread of a plot. The "movie"--- if you can call it that--- is dumb and juvenile and crass, but it does contain some cheap laughs.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
When you watch Cable Hogue next time, your preconceptions will be gone, so you'll enjoy it more. Preconceptions both help and hurt movies - they should be outlawed, at least from our minds.

Renegades (1989)

Keifer Sutherland and Lou Diamond Phillips

I thought this was a fun little action movie with a Native American theme to it. Kind of violent. Disappointing in the last half hour, though.

Well I was not wowed exactly, but I did enjoy the movie. I was very impressed by long shot after long shot as well as the the cinematography and camera movement, the mood was very anxious and cold, and I liked the imagery of the whale and dealing with The Prince and his followers. Not what I expected. In a good way though. A movie I will revisit later on.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
some oldies this time around

(REWATCH) Dinner at Eight 1939
all the madcap mayhem of getting a social dinner engagement together amid adultery, suicide and back handed business dealings. An exceptional cast with marie dressler stealing the show with all the best one-liners.

(REWATCH) My Man Godfrey 1936
a favorite at our house, William Powell is a "forgotten man" who is collected up by lil rich girl Carole Lombard and becomes the crazy family's butler.