World Cinema Survey..Feedback would be Appreciated...

Tools    

1) What’s the difference between Hollywood movies and movies made elsewhere in Europe or Asia?

2) Which Non-American movie do you recognised has being a huge success and why was it successful?

3) Which of these movies have you heard or watched before?

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Pan's Labyrinth
Sprited Away
Hero
Shaolin Soccer
Kung Fu Hustle

4) What’s your general opinion on your movie choice above?

5) Do you see world-cinema films overseas being a big-hit in a few years time? If so. Why

1) What’s the difference between Hollywood movies and movies made elsewhere in Europe or Asia?

Usually foreign movies that are released in the U.S have strong followings.

2) Which Non-American movie do you recognised has being a huge success and why was it successful?

Battle Royale
Old Boy
Seven Samurai
Yojimbo
Sanjuro
Water Lilies
Takeshis
Sonatine
Glory to the Filmmaker
City of God
Kikujiro

are my favorite foreign films - all of them really good

Pan's Labyrinth - pretty good
Sprited Away
Hero - watched it ways back and was bored by the sword fighting
Shaolin Soccer - can hardly remember this , so it musn't have been that good
Kung Fu Hustle - cool action , but drags on far too long

5) Do you see world-cinema films overseas being a big-hit in a few years time? If so. Why

As big as they are now .

Most films can play anywhere if they have universal themes but Bollywood is a good example of Asian movies made specifically for Asian audience. I would imagine sometimes what we find funny is lost on other cultures and vice versa.

2) Which Non-American movie do you recognized has being a huge success and why was it successful?
7 Samurai - Basically a war/buddy movie

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - Seen
Pan's Labyrinth - Plan to see
Sprited Away
Hero
Shaolin Soccer
Kung Fu Hustle

It's a very good movie, actors were choose because they were known in America.

I would say some world cinema is already popular. English crime, mystery and romance is a mainstay in America, martial arts films are popular. Japanese horror is making an imprint and is going to grow pretty fast.

[font=Times New Roman]
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - Seen

It's a very good movie, actors were choose because they were known in America.

I would say some world cinema is already popular. English crime, mystery and romance is a mainstay in America, martial arts films are popular. Japanese horror is making an imprint and is going to grow pretty fast.
Sorry but had to comment. RE: CTHD, surely the actors were chosen because they're the best Asian actors which is why they are known in America, not chosen because they're known in America?

And secondly, Japanese Horror (although i'd hazard a guess that several films you'd cite aren't actually from Japan) has long had it's day. It's going into decline, from recent films i've seen, and all Hollywood can do is regurgitate them into awful remakes.

Sorry but had to comment. RE: CTHD, surely the actors were chosen because they're the best Asian actors which is why they are known in America, not chosen because they're known in America?

And secondly, Japanese Horror (although i'd hazard a guess that several films you'd cite aren't actually from Japan) has long had it's day. It's going into decline, from recent films i've seen, and all Hollywood can do is regurgitate them into awful remakes.
I doubt your sorry and this is why. First, I didn't cite a single Japanese horror film in my post but made a general comment. Thanks for actually reading the thing before you decided to rip it up. Second, I forgot that popular makes you the best. I should have remembered that from high school.

There's no difference. Hollywood spends a lot of money and makes a few decent films amongst the dross and so do other countries. There's no magical reason why a non English language film is any different to an English language film. The fact is that the very best of film from around the world make it to our screens either because foreign language film fans make enough noise that a distributor picks it up or the film is so damn outstanding that it'll make it anywhere in spite of it's subtitling.

Recently? City of God, Oldboy, Amelie, Battle Royale, Crouching Tiger. Successful because they're great films.

Pan's Labyrinth
Spirited Away
Hero
Shaolin Soccer
Kung Fu Hustle

all of them

On the ones you named? yeah enjoyed them.

They'll remain a niche market as long as they're not given the distribution, and as long as the majority of cinema goers close their minds to reading subtitles. There is hope tho with the excellent success of Pans Labyrinth recently. Also if you can catch viewers young with films that have youth appeal like Battle Royale then you're more likely to get people to expend their viewing into subtitled films.