Most thought provoking movies

Tools    

Contact is a good one. Makes you think about the universe, other life-forms, religion, technology, time, death and reality.

Stand By Me

Being a father and a child at heart, this one was very provoking TSTL.

one film i didnt see was the corporation, a documentary about the corporation and its evils... the full movie is available on youtube (it is legal if you worry about that sort of thing) this doesnt include extras of course. this documentery dives deep into problems of modern society and its causes. it is definatly somthing everyone should watch. if by the end you dont think and question your own daily purchases and "needs" etc. then there must be somthing wrong with you

there website is simply thecorporation dot com

apparently i cant link the youtube page or embed it sooo i guess youll have to look for yourselves shouldnt be hard to find

also The Birth Of A Nation(1915) imo sorry couldnt leave it out

Fluke -

A lot of people probably never saw this movie - it was made in the 1990's and would probably seem like just a family movie about a dog to those who haven't seen it, but it is the most meaningful, touching, and thought provoking movie I have ever seen, and its emotional content and meaning is very mature. The story is about a workaholic man who was killed in a car accident and is reincarnated/reborn as a golden retriever. As the movies progresses, he starts to remember that the people he dreams about are his wife and son, from his previous life as a man, whom he had taken foregranted. He then sets out to find them, and then his goal is to make them know who he is - not a very easy thing to do. There are so many elements to the movie and details that make it great so I will not give them all away and ruin it. But, let me just say that there are twists and turns in this movie. It takes a deep look at just how short life can be and at regret. It teaches that every moment is a gift, and that you can not go back and undo what you have done. It also shows how powerful and driving of a force that love can be - where there is a will, there is a way. The ending is probably one of the saddest scenes in the history of movies. Not to mention that this movie has the saddest music score I've ever heard. It will leave you affected. I promise.

The Adjustment Bureau - deals with fate, love, and unstoppable destiny - this movie makes you really think about whether or not we (or anyone else) have control over our destiny

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas - deals with prejudice, the innocence of childhood, corruption, the balance between humanity and cruelty, and karma - this movie boggles the mind on every element i just named, why do people hate those who are not like them so much? what if we were blind to this, or what if we were on the less fortunate end?

Frequency - deals with time, control, and determined love - this movie is an emotional rollercoaster ride and asks the question, what if you could communicate with your dead father from the past and instruct him to take different actions that would change the present you now live in?

The Butterfly Effect - deals with time, the effects that one change can make on everything else, control, and acceptance - what if you could go back in time and change something? what if when you changed it, it affected other things and you kept screwing the present up even worse every time?

Pet Sematary - deals with learning about death, accepting death, and the reality that loss is final - this movie is so underrated in so many ways as far as thought provoking goes, what would you do if you could bring back someone you love who has died? what if they were to come back as an abomination - would you still bring them back or would you accept that they are gone and leave them rest? if that's not thought provoking, i don't know what is

Storm of the Century - deals with sacrafice, choice, and consequences to choices - this movie is amazing, if the devil gave you and a few other families a choice between either killing all of you or taking one of your children (in which the child would be chosen by a drawing of stones), what would you choose? this movie will leave you questioning things and thinking about a lot

Chloe - deals with longing, desire, betrayal, and mistrust - this movie is very psychological and affecting, who do you really believe? what if the person you thought you could trust betrayed you, and the person you thought betrayed you was honest all along? it taps into the voids that people seek to fill and the wrong ways that people go about filling them

The Terminator movies - deals with the struggle of mankind within itself, the destructive nature of mankind, and hope - these movies, believe it or not, have deeper meaning that just action, sick weapons, and machines, it makes you think wow are we as humans so violent in our nature that we are destined to destroy ourselves? do these machines know more about decency than us as people? will we finally learn to love another when we are threatened with the possibility of a human-machine world war?

These are all wonderful movies to watch. Their meanings are easier to understand by simply watching them, rather than listening to a written explanation. There is too much complexity to write, but all of these will provoke much thought when watched. I highly suggest watching them.

Chloe - deals with longing, desire, betrayal, and mistrust - this movie is very psychological and affecting
The original French film is a lot better. But really - your post should have spoiler tags, you gave away a twist in the film.

WHAT DREAMS MAY COME is a great movie. It really made me think about how beutiful death may be inspite most peoples fear of it.

I have to go with Fight Club and Dogville. Both made me think really hard, very awakening experiences!

If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
Donnie Darko
Waking Life
Inception
A Scanner Darkly
American History X
Abre Los Ojos
Cronos
The Illusionist
Pan's Labyrinth
The Usual Suspects
Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind
Memento
Dead Poet's Society
Lars and The Real Girl
Equilibrium
Twelve Monkeys
Moon
The Hours
Fight Club
Gattaca
What Dreams May Come
Se7en
Cube
Dark City
The Cell
Ghost Dog: The Way of The Samurai

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Jacobs Ladder has to be at the top of my list.

I think The Man From Earth was very thought provoking. i like it

Contact is a good one. Makes you think about the universe, other life-forms, religion, technology, time, death and reality.
Loved this one.

Let's try to be broad-minded about this
Irreversible. Makes you think about if you're ever going to be able to have sex again

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
I just watched Incendies thanks to a recommendation from Ash and after I was finished watching it I really starting thinking and wondering what I would do if I found out those kind of skeletons in my family closet.

Bowling for Columbine was to me really thought provoking. Rarely does a movie manage to be both funny and enterntaining yet terrifying and disturbing. That film got me thinking for the rest of the day. Still one of my favorites.