The Videogames Tab

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
Okay, now this Markarth glitch is starting to get irritating. The guards do regenerate between visits, and since the bounty keeps getting higher without any means of clearing it, that means more and more guards keep coming after me. I can't even fast travel to the city without immediately attracting their attention.
You can't yield (sheath your weapon *cough* and click the guard as if to talk to them?), pay your fine and reset the bounty?

How much is your bounty now? If it's an irreversible bug just make the most of it and go for the 'xxxxx bounty in each Hold' Achievement.

EDIT - I know of one way which might clear it but that depends on how far in the main quest you've got.

WARNING: "if you've not done Season Unending don't read" spoilers below
It's a long shot but if you convince the Imperials to give Markarth up to the Stormcloaks, they get a new Jarl and new guards. It might reset their hostility, but it's a total guess on my part

there's a frog in my snake oil
You're a better man than me then. I've had them since The Orange Box and not touched them
What? What! The ending to Part 2 is both gaming 'big boss' 'save the world' epic & storyline 'grip of fear' tastic too. Tastic I tell you. Get your tastic on Tatty!

Okay, now this Markarth glitch is starting to get irritating. The guards do regenerate between visits, and since the bounty keeps getting higher without any means of clearing it, that means more and more guards keep coming after me. I can't even fast travel to the city without immediately attracting their attention.
Here's a couple of reddit solutions for ya. Hope they work

Welcome to the human race...
Thanks for the help, guys.

Anyway, latest progress report - became Guild Master and am currently going about Dark Brotherhood missions. One of these days, I'll get around to the main quest. Maybe.

Like Oblivion's, the Dark Brotherhood stuff in Skyrim is my favourite quest line in the game. Thieves Guild was pretty good though. Companions was ok and I got about a third of the way through the Mages Guild, got bored and gave up.

If only the Bards College stuff were proper faction quests. You get great skill bonuses from them but not a lot more.

Golg - Bioshock! I forgot that I liked that one so obviously now have no need to play any of the HL2 add-ons.

Might (possibly) give Skyrim a rest for a couple of months to see how the mod scene matures. It's getting to the stage where I'm repeating stuff which is still fresh in my mind.

No idea what to replace Skyrim with though. Mass Effect 3's out soon I suppose and I've got a perverse desire to buy Kingdoms of Amalur. Perverse because I didn't like the demo at all...

Like Oblivion's, the Dark Brotherhood stuff in Skyrim is my favourite quest line in the game.
I've gotta get on that. I like the idea of extending the Thieves influence, but the mini-jobs themselves are a bit grindy now (done Nightingales). I'm kinda vacillating between having fun and being bored. Dolling Lydia up in heavy armour to tank for me while I go a dragon-soul-harvesting & dragon-mask swiping - funs . Accepting side-quest to hunt down spirit beasts who all prove no challenge to my crazy lone bow skillz, meh

Might need to start cheaty-researching exciting missions. Fear I may be hitting a level-38-and-overpowered zone, despite my 100 health (altho to be fair some of the big missions have levelled quite nicely - one-shotting me if I get cocky). Gonna avoid temptation to use a companion again - is too easy - and have ethereal shout now to dodge dragon breath at least.

Originally Posted by Tatty
Golg - Bioshock! I forgot that I liked that one so obviously now have no need to play any of the HL2 add-ons.
Nooooes. HL2, on hard difficulty, played via farting into Kinect. Nao nao!

Last night's Balti might have something to say about that Kinect action.

I'm level 43 and am near enough invincible to everything but frost magic but starting the Thieves Guild section when in the mid-30s was a good challenge because my sneaky skills weren't advanced at all. My Housecarls (even the token bloke) and spouse are decked out in heavy Dragon armour (I've got the light stuff) and the best weapons I can make but their AI is so dopey that they're too often a hindrance rather than a help.

Disappointed that you can't ask Smiths to upgrade stuff for you - Eorlund Gray-Mane is supposedly the best Smith in Skyrim but, frankly, he's an amateur compared to me and I've not even maxed out the Smithing tree.

Just remembered I got Deus Ex 3 in the Steam sale. Problem solved.

Yeah I've been avoiding companions like the plague in the main for their non-sneaky, door-blocking clunkiness, plus to keep the challenge going. Almost tempted by a woodsman-turns-assassin reroll. Hopefully if I delve into some major plots I can keep this character fun tho

PS Ifyoudon'tplaytheHL2addonsIwillcreateaSkyrimmodwithalowlyHouseCarlcalledTattywhoeveryonerideslikeaho rse

Oh god, I'm sitting here at work actually pondering...

A no-HUD character, music off, playing on expert. Backsticks wood elf or somesuch. Just hunt for a while to get the ball rolling then get me some clairvoyance as soon as possible for missions. Don't expect to be boss of the town

Totally masochistic but might be fun for a while. Having a quick browse it seems like picking objects up (and knowing if a door will be a cupboard or a longggg-Xbox-loooaaad) is a problem. Not knowing about health/mana until visual/aural hints seems ok to me. Not knowing if your sneaking has been rumbled seems kinda 'realistic' too. Archery sounds like it's challenging but kinda fun without the crosshair once you get it. Hmmm, I am intrigued. Foolishly intrigued

The only surprise is that Bethsheda haven't made it so you can navigate by the stars

*EDIT*

Here is how this roll might look ...

*EDITEDIT* Oh god, the more I think about this the more I'm definitely gonna do it. I've read you can use the witch's shack near the first guardian stones as a free base (the secret downstairs has cabinets etc that don't refresh). Reckon I'll set up there after a bit, def use companions (but let em die if they die), and play it all like I'm a 'minor hero'. Might just avoid Guilds etc and stick to more miscellaneous tasks, see how that goes. Kinda be a do-gooding sell sword. And I suspect... die a lot

(This all depends on whether I can actually find my way anywhere. Pretty sure I can walk from Riverwood to Whiterun without probs. Prettyyyyy sure )

Of course this whole approach becomes daft the minute you pause and use the menu, but I've heard the soundscape's actually pretty good, and just bumbling about and getting all immersed might be fun. Lord know 'sudden bears' are still the things that make me jump the most

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Ive just watched the new trailer for Borderlands 2 and it looks great, I think I should actually start the first game, ive had it in my house since Christmas I havent started it yet due to Rage, Duke Nukem Forever and my son playing the Harry Potter lego games

Oh god, I'm sitting here at work actually pondering...

A no-HUD character, music off, playing on expert. Backsticks wood elf or somesuch. Just hunt for a while to get the ball rolling then get me some clairvoyance as soon as possible for missions. Don't expect to be boss of the town

Totally masochistic but might be fun for a while. Having a quick browse it seems like picking objects up (and knowing if a door will be a cupboard or a longggg-Xbox-loooaaad) is a problem. Not knowing about health/mana until visual/aural hints seems ok to me. Not knowing if your sneaking has been rumbled seems kinda 'realistic' too. Archery sounds like it's challenging but kinda fun without the crosshair once you get it. Hmmm, I am intrigued. Foolishly intrigued

The only surprise is that Bethsheda haven't made it so you can navigate by the stars
You reeeeaaalllly should look into getting a PC able to run this golg. The iHUD mod would suit you down to the ground - It's completely configurable.

Link

&feature=player_embedded

You reeeeaaalllly should look into getting a PC able to run this golg. The iHUD mod would suit you down to the ground - It's completely configurable.
Aha yas, compass on and off would be grand. (Part of me wants a fully animated compass-in-hand for those occasional lost moments )

Had a quick go with new settings last night. The intro scene was actually much more atmospheric without sound (the horses that brought you there stamping on the ground amongst the speeches etc). The 'cavern' you enter early on did sound a bit 'one note' in terms of effects tho (just a sustained wind sound - altho I hear there's a mod for that ).

Gonna see how the archery & nature vibe goes in the wilds next time I'm on. If they're fun will def pursue it for a bit. (Altho as I saved I was struggling to locate the lock on a door. I might be some time )

Yep, there are a couple of 'Sounds of Skyrim' mods now and the Dungeon one can get pretty spooky. There's almost too much going on though - the Forest one sounds like David Attenborough is constantly 3 feet behind you kicking at bushes.

One mod which I never remove is Psyrim, which replaces the entire music soundtrack with trancy choons. It's brilliant, much more subtle. I've seen a walkthrough on how to import your own music (not as easy as you'd think) which I'll probably be looking into.

Yep, there are a couple of 'Sounds of Skyrim' mods now and the Dungeon one can get pretty spooky. There's almost too much going on though - the Forest one sounds like David Attenborough is constantly 3 feet behind you kicking at bushes....
Ahh I think the music themes are immense - really 'characterful' (if of course utterly ludicrous and 'high farce', with all the translated monkish opera etc). Still like em after 150+ hours tho, which says a lot. But wanna give the sound guys a chance, as a lot of incidental sound is obviously getting smothered.

Yeah I guess that's what the mod scene often shows - just how good the pros are when they get immersion right. (When Seds posted about how surprising it was that HL2 stood up as an experience, despite ageing textures, I immediately thought of the soundscape - so influential in 'building a world' - and a helluva lot easier to do with old tech - just still needs some love poured in).

I looked at one mod for cave-sound, and it did seem spooky, but also a bit arbitrary (IE shuffling sounds / groans didn't seem to relate to actual enemy positions/actions etc.). Guess that adds to it getting a bit 'cluttered' aurally?

Will wait and see if vanilla has draugr shuffling in the distance as a sound cue before I get jealous just yet (Oh let's face it, mods are bound to make me jealous at some point )

Yep, the added clinks and groans are overkill - I ended up disabling the Dungeons mod and will probably do the same with the Wilderness one. Far too many birds chattering etc etc. Immersive Skyrim Thunder is brilliant though, especially on 5.1 speakers.

The sound mods which I think are wholly successful are the combat sounds ones. The blade sheath mod is much more realistic and less cartoony.

Yep, the added clinks and groans are overkill - I ended up disabling the Dungeons mod and will probably do the same with the Wilderness one. Far too many birds chattering etc etc. Immersive Skyrim Thunder is brilliant though, especially on 5.1 speakers.

The sound mods which I think are wholly successful are the combat sounds ones. The blade sheath mod is much more realistic and less cartoony.
I watched an interview with the Beth sound guy saying he tried realistic scabbard noises etc, but in the end people just preferred the Hollywood 'schwing' sounds

Foley stuff is crazy. Did you know they use hot water in The Archers for tea pouring as it sounds different coming out the spout to cold. FACT! UK FACT

---

PS for BF3 types...

Had a lovely lil squad-with-mates game last night. Best moment: Disabling the opposition AA with a speculative RPG from the transport heli. Weeeee

(Those RPGs fly slowwww - hadn't realised quite how slow til saw them from the air. Took about 5 secs from launch til it curved down and connected)

&start=118

Still think this sounds much better.

&feature=player_embedded

I think I'd rather have cold tea poured over me than listen to The Archers. It's there to culturally separate England from the other constituent parts of the UK.

Yeah that is def more down to earth. Part of me has been hypnotised into thinking swords really do sing like plucked metal fairy wings when exposed to the air tho. Guess it kinda blends with the hyper-realism for me.

And on the Archers, agreed . If there was some way of making them real, just so we could blast that bit of England off into orbit, that'd be fine by me. (The Shipping Forecast can stay tho. I like that flavour of informative gobbledygook )

Just thought I'd have a look at Nexus Mod Manager and see what mods I have kept and thus consider 'essential'.

360 Controller Remap
101BugsHD
A Quality World Map With Roads
AOF Detailed Mountains
Ask Follower Skills (basically, you can now see their skill points so no need to give them a weapon or armour which they won't get the best out of)
Bellyaches Animal & Creatures Pack
Better Distant LOD Waterfalls
Better Dynamic Snow
Better Sorting
Categorized Favourites Menu
Dragon Glyphs HD
Coloured Map Markers and Compass icons
Dynamic Merchants
Enhanced Night Skyrim
Eyebrows Match Hair (I like attention to detail!)
Fhaarkas Soft Animal Fur
Fixed Followers Lite
HD Furniture & Barrels
HD Armour reflections
HD High Resolution Books
HD Textures DLC Fix (which Beth still haven't patched)
High Quality Food & Ingredients
Immersive Skyrim Thunder
Improved Combat Sounds
Intricate Spider Webs
KenmOD - Time On Loading Screen
Main Menu Spinning Emblem (told you they were essential!)
Move It Dammit for NPC Companions and Followers (no more getting stuck in doorways)
No NPC Greetings (reduces the distance before NPCs begin talking to you)
Proudspire Manor - Dragonborn Edition
Psyrim v2
Real Days and Months (Frostfall and Turdas can now bugger off)
Realistic Hair
Realistic Water Textures and Terrain
Realistic Weapon Swing Sounds
Reneers Crime Overhaul
Septim HD
Shadow Striping Fix
Silly Level of Detail - Wine Cellar, Potions & Poisons
Skyrim Coin Replacer (modern Septims in ancient ruins? Now you get ancient Dwemer coins etc, which can be sold)
Skyrim Flora Overhaul (*nearly* redundant with the HD DLC, mightn't install next time)
Skyrim Realistic Overhaul (brings ground textures into line with the official HD patch)
Skyrim Sunglare v3
SkyUI
Smooth Blade Draw and Sheathe
Static Mesh Improvement Mod
The Epic Sounds of Archery (this is, actually, pretty epic )
Tobes Highres Textuees
Ultra HD Enhanced Dragons
Unmarked Places - Player homes
Weapons and Armour Fixes (basically, Beth mucked up a number of weapon stats and haven't patched them)
XCE - Character Enhancement (probably redundant after the HD official DLC)

Yikes, that's quite a lot.

Holy sheet, and this is before the modding community even warms up you say!

Ahhh, but I like Turdass!

You're still fairly restrained tho it seems. Eyebrows, yes. 'Collars and cuffs', no

Still think you should give the 'darker nights/caves' thing another go at some point. Looks like it makes caves & night journeys a lot more freaky (especially when your torch / candelight-spell runs out ). Apparently you have to boost your torch radius with certain mods tho.

&start=800

Something I might try anyway. If you had the decency to buy me a lovely new PC

This on the other hand is seems nuts... a giant underground base, that connects all your bases... (so you can like, spend all your time under Skyrim?)