The Videogames Tab

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
Good site! I am perusing it now!
How'd you get on?

My re-acquaintance with Oblivion lasted precisely one evening - I noticed my 6 day old Samsung 5 series had 3 dead pixels (that's 6 days after swapping it with another faulty set) so it went back to the store today. In all my years of Laptops, TFT monitors and now 3 LCD TVs, that's the first time this has happened.

The replacement gets delivered on Saturday (hopefully) and it had better be ok. The staff have been great but I'm in no mood to return to that bloody shop for the third time in three weeks.

A system of cells interlinked
Ok so, Oblivion is...completely off the chain. I got to put a good 5 hours in last night, mostly spent exploring in wonderment. Our jaws hit the floor more than once.

The score is so well done, and the game world is incredibly immersive.

We both seem to like switching back and forth between third and first person views. For spell combat etc., FPV is a must, IMO. Alas, I do like seeing my lil elf chic wander about while not in combat, although I do spend a lot of time simply exploring in FPV, as well. They both have their uses, I guess.

We are running a Dark Elf Spellsword at the mo, and haven't run into any glaring issues, as of yet.

Now you know why Oblivion is my favourite game of this current generation.

I got hold of a VGA cable for the 360 this afternoon which will tide me over until the new TV arrives. Picture quality is excellent on my PC monitor - I'm lovin' how much easier the XBox is to set up than the PS3. Switching from HDMI to component etc on that is frequently done by trial and error (holding down the power button when starting and listening for a specific amount of beeps then crossing your fingers).

I can't wait to get home and play!

I have a few quests going, and have completed just one. I wandered off into the forest and found many temples, ruins, mines etc. I slogged around in one mine for a while, but then I saw a big spider, so I left.

I hate spiders.

Have you played Fallout 3? I've not finished it, due to a glitch that just annoyed me, but apart from that it's awesome, basically Oblivion with guns. Fantastic stuff. If you've not played it, try and get it cheap and get it. Well worth getting, and that goes out to everyone!

What is this glitch you speak of? Are you playing on the PS3, because I have read about multiple problems with Fallout 3 on that system. This isn't the only game I have seen causing issues on the PS3. Why is this system lagging like this, when it is supposed to have the superior hardware etc.?

Actually, the poor report on the PS3 version of Fallout 3 is one of the reasons I went for the 360 in the end. That and the fact that the 360 was 100 dollars less than the PS3.

Oh! Argonian! I am just making the connection after the having the game for a couple of days.

I am getting slow in me old age.

Yup - Off to do a quick biz meeting after work, and then it's time to check in on the dark elf!

What is this glitch you speak of? Are you playing on the PS3, because I have read about multiple problems with Fallout 3 on that system. This isn't the only game I have seen causing issues on the PS3. Why is this system lagging like this, when it is supposed to have the superior hardware etc.?

Actually, the poor report on the PS3 version of Fallout 3 is one of the reasons I went for the 360 in the end. That and the fact that the 360 was 100 dollars less than the PS3.
It stopped me from looking left , right, up or down. T'was thec360 version too.

You ready? You look ready.
Poor ports. Companies are designing on 360 hardware and trying to skim on the effort they put into the PS3 counterpart. Every time a company actually puts effort into a PS3 game it will kill practically any game on the 360. Sadly, few companies wanna put an effort into both consoles, and this has been the case since, oh, forever.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

You ready? You look ready.

I got hold of a VGA cable for the 360 this afternoon which will tide me over until the new TV arrives. Picture quality is excellent on my PC monitor - I'm lovin' how much easier the XBox is to set up than the PS3. Switching from HDMI to component etc on that is frequently done by trial and error (holding down the power button when starting and listening for a specific amount of beeps then crossing your fingers).
Wow, really? I find the 360 to be a much bigger pain when it comes to setup. I've never had a problem with the power button, i.e. crossing my fingers.

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010

Good call. Are you on xbox live? If you are what's your gamertag? Mine is AClockworkPeon

I went with the Xbox 360 for several reasons, mainly the xbox live service and also it has a better selection of games. The price tag doesn't hurt much either. I know PS3 has blu-ray but I don't plan to upgrade anytime soon, so that didn't factor into my decision.

Now that the 360 has Netflix streaming I don't regret my choice at all.

the 360 has been known to have hardware troubles RROD, but hopefully not so much anymore.

I haven't heard about Fallout 3 locking up on the ps3

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

Poor ports. Companies are designing on 360 hardware and trying to skim on the effort they put into the PS3 counterpart. Every time a company actually puts effort into a PS3 game it will kill practically any game on the 360. Sadly, few companies wanna put an effort into both consoles, and this has been the case since, oh, forever.
That's not strictly true. Look at Burnout Paradise, made with PS3 as lead platform, yet the 360 version, is ever so slihtly not as good. I heard that the reason the PS3 is harder to make games for/port is due to the Blu-ray disc, all games are built on a P.C. Something like that. I know it sounds a bit off, but it's true, there is more detail, but unfourtunatly I don't rememeber it in full detail.

never played burnout paradise, most likely never going to. i prefer games like fallout and when it comes out God of War III

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
never played burnout paradise, most likely never going to. i prefer games like fallout and when it comes out God of War III
Burnout Paradise is a good game to play if you've got nothing else to do. It requires very little and it can be fun.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

So, umm, yeah. I've been playing a lot of Oblivion lately too...
I was going to start a new game after not playing it since it's release - when I realized some incredibly retarded pricing. (I still have the yee old T rated Oblivion).

To download the expansion for Oblivion on xbox live it costs 2400 points (about $30).

Or you could get the entire game along with the expansion and even more content for $20 new.

I think I'm going to pick this up before I start a new 50+ hour quest.

I'm also a big fan of the Burnout series (Burnout 3 is still much better than these new ones) and had some big problems with Burnout Paradise , a major one being you can't restart missions.

Then I find out they are releasing a whole new area and an addition to let you actually restart missions - on February 6th : so I'm going to try and pick it up now. Still , it's impossibly hard to pick which way you want to go - find it on your minimap and dodge traffic at incredibly high speeds : at the same time.

Fallout 3 is easily the best single player game of 2008 , but I think I'll wait till they come out with a nice package (like Oblivion) with all the new DLC and a big price drop - the longer I wait , the more fun it'll be when I go back.

I have a task for anyone with xbox live , go here http://www.mygamercard.net/ and post your card in this thread.

BANNED
I find the 360 to be a much bigger pain when it comes to setup.
Are you kidding me?? What's so hard when setting up a 360??

I have a task for anyone with xbox live , go here http://www.mygamercard.net/ and post your card in this thread.
Thanks for the link

Have you played Fallout 3? I've not finished it, due to a glitch that just annoyed me, but apart from that it's awesome, basically Oblivion with guns. Fantastic stuff. If you've not played it, try and get it cheap and get it. Well worth getting, and that goes out to everyone!
Got it on PS3 and 360 and will probably buy the GOTY version on PC when/if it comes out. I think it's an excellent game but not a great one...

F3 improves on the Oblivion engine in many ways (or rather, addresses a lot of user gripes about Oblivion) like doing away with active levelling, which I've never had a problem with, etc. The character design and animation is a lot better and VATS is a blast to use.

A few things bug me about it - the level cap and the game ending when the main quest is completed, no matter how many side quests are remaining being the two biggies. I know they're consistent with the Fallout universe (I've owned the first two Fallout games since release) but I think things have moved on in the last decade and we really can go towards a true 'open world' experience. I know the PC version has mods which overcome this (and give some real downsides to adiation exposure, somehting underused in the vanilla version) but it shouldn't be up to a highly talented modding community to improve a flagship title like this to such a major degree.

The PC Oblivion mods are great too but I think they serve to tweak the game for specific playing styles (such as those who prefer static levelling) rather than fix something major - I can get just as much enjoyment with the vanilla Oblivion as I do with a heavily modded PC version.

I'm beginning to ramble.

The Tatty Rating - Fallout 3: 8/10, Oblivion: 9/10

John - So just plugging a 360 in and connecting it to any visual output, switching it on and it working is more of a pain than holding a PS3 power button down, waiting for it to boot then wading through two or three menus? Add to that the aspect of sound - again, on the 360 it 'just works' when you plug it into an amp or leave it on TV speakers. The PS3 has to be configured all over again every time you switch. Your blinkers are starting to become amusing.

The PS3 should be a great system some day but all the promise in the world stands for Jack Sh*t if companies can't get their products running well on it. It might be different in 12 months but I remember saying the same thing 12 months ago.

Getting back to Fallout 3 for example - I gave the pS3 version another chance when Bethesda released the patch. No more freezing when someone signs into your PSN, sure, but there's still major slowdown in places and I've found random freezes (which need a hard reset to overcome) when coming out of area loading screens. My console runs everything else perfectly and the disc is pristine so I can only assume that it's another fault with the port.

Every time a company actually puts effort into a PS3 game it will kill practically any game on the 360.
Name some multi-console releases which are better on the PS3 then. The only one I can think of is Oblivion and the devs had an extra 12 months to come up with that and immediately patched the 360 game to include most of the improvements. From a personal POV I prefer the lighting in the PS3 version but no DLC, no vibration and massive slowdown in bits of the GOTY Shivering Isles (this might be the same on the 360, I dunno).

Games I've played which have been markedly inferior on the PS3 are: F3, Assassin's Creed, the last two NFS games (the latest one is a disgrace, even to EA), GTA4, Bioshock and probably a few more that I've long since traded and forgotten.

Standalone stuff like MGS4, brilliant as it is, shouldn't enter this particular argument.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Meatwad, I'm in agreement with you on Burnout. I find it very difficult to navigate, but at the same time see where to turn. I wish they would come out with a patch for that.

Here's my gamercard: