Gabrielle goes 1001

→ in
Tools    

Hello!
I think you get the idea that this will be me watching 1001 movies you must see before you die and reviewing them. As you know it's a lifetime work,so patience if anyone is interested.

I got the book today,well it's 2007 edition and they didn't have anything newer but I just couldn't walk past it. :[

Thank you and to be continued ^^

#1 Voyage dans la Lune / A Trip To The Moon (1902)

#2 The Great Train Robbery (1903)

#3 The Birth of a Nation (1915)

#4 Les Vampires (1915-1916)

#5 Intolerance (1916)

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Wow an ambitious goal you've set Gabrielle. Looking forward to what you've got to say about them. Are you going to be tackling them in any kind of order? Alphabetically, by year of release etc?

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Hello!

I think you get the idea that this will be me watching 1001 movies you must see before you die and reviewing them. As you know it's a lifetime work,so patience if anyone is interested.

I got the book today,well it's 2007 edition and they didn't have anything newer but I just couldn't walk past it. :[

Thank you and to be continued ^^
It's quite the book. I have the 2011 edition and I've found lots of greats and am working through it myself. I'm only 25 though and I'm probably only at about 10-15 percent through. I would say just be random of what you're watching and I look forward to the thread.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Good idea, but sadly this book does not contain a lot of great titles, which is understandable, because otherwise it would be 10 001 films you must see before you die.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Wow an ambitious goal you've set Gabrielle.
yep,especially considering that I don't have a lot of free time now and after a month,I'm planning to move to another country,new life,environment etc. But hopefully I will manage to continue this.

Are you going to be tackling them in any kind of order? Alphabetically, by year of release etc?
By the release date because that's how they go in the book. It will be great to see the progress and film evolving process,although the beginning may not be so satisfying as I'm not big on old movies.

I'm only 25 though and I'm probably only at about 10-15 percent through.
I think I've seen about 1/4 since I counted once but I'm not sure which edition it was.

I would say just be random of what you're watching and I look forward to the thread.
If watching by release date won't work,I'll go random.Or alphabetically.

Good idea, but sadly this book does not contain a lot of great titles
Yes,it does.Not everyone likes arthouse and your kinky films. :P

Hope this turns mostly enjoyable, are you going to review every entry or only the new ones that you watch?
yeah,I've been thinking.I think it would be best to rewatch the ones I've seen unless I really remember them well or have seen a lot of times but there are some which I disliked and have no desire seeing again.I'll make up my mind as I go.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Good idea, but sadly this book does not contain a lot of great titles, which is understandable, because otherwise it would be 10 001 films you must see before you die.
That's an ignorant comment IMO. This book has titles for everyone, and there's more great films in this book than are out of it to be sure. Sure they did miss quite a bit, but there's still a huge sample size of highly successful and well liked films.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
That's an ignorant comment IMO. This book has titles for everyone, and there's more great films in this book than are out of it to be sure. Sure they did miss quite a bit, but there's still a huge sample size of highly successful and well liked films.
That's why he said they weren't great titles.

To be fair, I have encountered quite a bunch of overrated films in this list. I wouldn't say that the movies are overrated if they didn't appear in the list though.

But anyway, it is not my favorite list. I hardly agree when it goes to specifics; which works from X author stand out and such. But its merit and the value of this list to serve as a guide to discover cinema are out of any doubt.

What's ignorant in saying it's not a perfect list?

Good luck with this Gabrielle. I have been tempted to attempt some similar type of list challenge/review thing myself, would take a lot of effort/time though, so as I said, good luck, I'll be keeping an eye on this

I've also got this book, but couldn't watch the silent pictures. I started watching the original Phantom of the Opera over two months ago and gave up after twenty minutes.

Also, are all those movies available online or on DVD/Blu-ray? I ask this because some titles are held by families and yet to be released.

I bet all the short ones will be on Youtube,some I own, know some people who own other films,then there's the ones I've seen and for the rest.. well,it's the information age,I keep my hopes up. )

I have been tempted to attempt some similar type of list challenge/review thing myself
Not sure how I will manage to do the reviewing,I find it difficult to express my opinion correctly especially after I read yours,Rodent's,JayDee's,Mark's,Yoda's (especially Yoda's!) reviews or random thoughts about the films.Your awesome way of writing depresses me.

Their reviews are great, but since English is not your native language, it is naturally much harder for you to use rich vocabulary. There is no other way, but to train. Of course, you don't need vast vocabulary to write interesting reviews, but it helps to precise your thoughts, nonetheless. If you have problems with expressing your opinions I'd recommend writing something in your language. This way you will see whether it's an issue concerning foreign language, or general writing skills. If it is the first, just try to work with dictionary. However, if it's the latter you will have to work on it a lot harder and the best way to do it is to write more reviews. Summing up, this review thread will make your writing better, so don't worry about it. You have to give it a try and in no time you will become a good reviewer.

Just out of curiosity, what country are you going to live in?

UK I have my "living on my own" thread here if you remember it,I'll update it soon.