Top Courtroom Movies

Tools    

Put me in your pocket...
Another great trial film based on a real trial is Compulsion (1956),
I'm sure it's good....but, to be honest rufnek, Compulsion sounds a little to much for me....especially if it's based on a true story. Can't image two boys killing another just for the heck of it. I usually avoid movies that would be disturbing to watch involving kids ( like The Lovely Bones ).

As far as a movie about the Lindburg kidnapping...no, I haven't seen one. That was such a tragic story.

And, yes...I definitely agree with you about Richard Gere's fancy razzle dazzle court room scene in Chicago. Good stuff.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Compulsion is based on the same story that Rope is. It's just that Compulsion, set in the 1920s, focuses more on the legal aspects. It's a 1959 film, by the way. It came out the same year as Anatomy of as Murder.

The TV movie, The Lindbergh Kidnapping Case, with Anthony Hopkins as accused murderer Bruno Hauptmann, is a solid TV movie. Hopkins was also in the mini-series QB VII, another really good courtroom drama.

" The Accused "

i rarely watch such movies but this is the one i could recall right now,

It's not, strictly speaking, a courtroom film but Otto Preminger's Advise and Consent is a powerful procedural thriller. Good to see The Trial make that second list and I have to side with Celestial on 12 Angry Men as the number one - Henry Fonda knocks that one clean out of the park. Of course, he can't take all the credit. Lumet is such a great character director. Network gets me rolling every time.

Making a difference
I think ya'll shld see an International film called Ije, the court scenes were pretty good

there's a frog in my snake oil
Just watched Adam's Rib last night, which I guess could slot in there (although most of what I liked about it went on outside the courtroom in many ways. Wasn't sure the theme of sexual equality [and marriage] was ever really merged satisfactorily with the court case they used.)

A Few Good Men

12 Angry Men and To Kill A Mockingbird were my favorites in this genre until AFGM came out.

Extremely powerful with memorable characters giving some of their best performances of their careers aloing with unforgetable dialogue.

12 Angry Men is the only acceptable choice as #1. It gets my vote as the best film ever made.

After 12 Angry Men, I'd say:

2. Anatomy of a Murder
3. The Verdict
4. To Kill a Mockingbird
5. Reversal of Fortune

A Few Good Men is being highly overrated. Reversal of Fortune is a far better movie.

Mind you, I need to see "Witness for the Prosecution"

What percentage of a movie needs to be in the courtroom for it to be considered a "courtroom movie"? Im not a fan of movies that start as one thing and then turn into a courtroom drama. Its almost always disappointing compared to the pace of the pre-courtroom material. I can handle it though if its ALL about the courtroom (since I know going in) or if it doesnt dominate the film and is well integrated. I'd put Silenced up as an example of the latter. Maybe even Gifted.

1. Anatomy of a Murder (1959 - Otto Preminger)
2. 12 Angry Men (1957 - Sidney Lumet)
2. The Devil & Daniel Webster a.k.a All that Money Can Buy (1941 - William Deiterle)
3. Inherit the Wind (1960 - Stanley Kramer)
5. Judgement ay Nuremberg (1961 - Stanley Kramer)
6. The Verdict (1982 - Sidney Lumet)
7. The Trial (1963 - Orson Welles)
8. To Kill a Mockingbird (1962 - Robert Mulligan)
9. Indictment: The McMartin Trial (made-for-TV, 1995 - Mick Jackson)
10. Witness for the Prosecution (1957 - Billy Wilder)

*special mention: Miracle on 34th Street (1947 - George Seaton)
*FUNNIEST: A Fish Called Wanda (1988 - Charles Chrichton & John Cleese)
*WORST: Body of Evidence (1993 - Uli Edel)

Lots of others, some that have a great court element but aren't devoted primarily to the trial.
I agree with this one! The only thing is I would knock the Trial off and put in something else. But to be fair, I have a weakness for legal court battles, so anything works really here.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
All my choices were already picked accept for Presumed Innocent, and Fracture which are really good.

What percentage of a movie needs to be in the courtroom for it to be considered a "courtroom movie"? Im not a fan of movies that start as one thing and then turn into a courtroom drama. Its almost always disappointing compared to the pace of the pre-courtroom material. I can handle it though if its ALL about the courtroom (since I know going in) or if it doesnt dominate the film and is well integrated. I'd put Silenced up as an example of the latter. Maybe even Gifted.
Good point, Rex. My personal favorite is Anatomy of a Murder, which is highly regarded as a courtroom drama. Some of the selections don't have much "courtroom" in them. For example 12 Angry Men, although a great classic film, is almost exclusively set in the jury room. Witness for the Prosecution is another huge favorite-- a tour de force from Charles Laughton.

~Doc

Denial (2016) and Suspect (1987) were decent. Denial's topic was quite unique. I have seen quite a few of these movies. Just cant remember all of them. All of them decent to brilliant. None crap from what I can recall.

Good point, Rex. My personal favorite is Anatomy of a Murder, which is highly regarded as a courtroom drama. Some of the selections don't have much "courtroom" in them. For example 12 Angry Men, although a great classic film, is almost exclusively set in the jury room. Witness for the Prosecution is another huge favorite-- a tour de force from Charles Laughton.

~Doc
Anatomy of Murder is probably the only one i can recall, which gives an insight into how a clever lawyer's mind work! Its the best court movie for me!

"How can a jury disregard what it's already heard?" Epic!

You can't win an argument just by being right!
The last one I recall that had an impact was The Judge. Robert Downey Jnr and Robert Duvall.

Primal fear and few good men has to come at top spot followed by jagged edge
On a low note i like the erotic thriller madonna made with willem defoe, body of evidence