Choose a Favorite Film and List 10 Reasons Why You Like It So Much

Tools    

"A film is a putrified fountain of thought"
I was gonna do something a bit more sophisticated(I suppose I'll post another more legit one later), but From Dusk Til Dawn just came so easily to me
1. The opening scene is still one of my favorites of all time.
2. Tarantino gets his creep on to the max
3. Salma Hayek+snake=Oh My God, I'm a chick and even I'd tap that
4. Danny Trejo and Cheech Marin
5. Harvey Keitel is the coolest vampire i've ever seen
6. This:

7. The fact that the vampires don't even come in til the last half hour and somehow the whole movie is still consistantly awesome.
8. That nasty rat thing that climbs on top of George Clooney. Yes, you read that right.
9. The disco ball
10. The ending shot/music

true romance

1. val kilmer played elvis
2. great acting, from lead to supporting
3. the fight scene between james gandolfini and patricia arquette
4. the story
5. it was written by tarantino
6. brad pitt makes me lol every time
7. the camera angles, and other shots are perfecto
8. the mexican standoff is ridiculous
9. there is never a dull moment
10. the sicilian scene (enough said)
"Empire had the better ending. I mean, Luke gets his hand cut off, finds out Vader's his father, Han gets frozen and taken away by Boba Fett. It ends on such a down note. I mean, that's what life is, a series of down endings. All Jedi had was a bunch of Muppets." - Dante Hicks

I was gonna do something a bit more sophisticated(I suppose I'll post another more legit one later), but From Dusk Til Dawn just came so easily to me
2. Tarantino gets his creep on to the max

7. The fact that the vampires don't even come in til the last half hour and somehow the whole movie is still consistantly awesome.
I agree--Tarantino's psycho killer was so horrific that the later vampires were like comic relief. The scare factor really dissipated after Tarantino was offed.

Royale With Cheese
PULP FICTION

1. the dialogue
2. the 4 shortish stories weaved in the film
3. the actors
4. the director
5. the conversations between samuel L jackson and john travoltas character
6. the fact that there isn't a main star
7. the amount of sware words
8. the legendary actors that are in it
9. there is an added comical side to the crime genre
10. that breifcase and wondering wtfs in it

12 Angry Men

1. The acting.
The performances delivered in 12 Angry Men are the collective best performances I've ever seen in any movie.

2. The screenplay.
The script is next to flawless and is among the most gripping I've yet to hear.

3. The cinematography.
The way each and every scene is shot--the close-ups from downward angles at some points during the film and the upward angles at other points--are expertly executed.

4. The themes.
Especially that of Juror #3's with the realization he ultimately reaches concerning his relationship with his son.

5. The musical score.
Although it is almost non-existent, what little music there is in the movie is spellbinding and completely original.

6. Henry Fonda.
'Nuff said.

7. Lee J. Cobb.
His performance rivals that of Henry Fonda's here. It's utterly spectacular, and perhaps my favorite performance of all time.

8. The (rest of the) cast.
Jack Klugman, E.G. Marshall, John Fiedler, etc. -- all amazing.

9. The atmosphere.
The overall general "feel" of the film leaves me in a sense of comfort and awe each and every time I watch the film.

10. The astounding rewatchability.
12 Angry Men is *the* most rewatchable movie where the effect of which doesn't wear off with multiple viewings almost no matter *how* often I watch it.

My Movie Review Thread | My Top 100

Leon: The Professional

1. Gary Oldman
He's just too crazy in this role and it's amazing at how good of job he did.

2. Jean Reno
He actually surprised me in this, because I really haven't seen him in anything and he did an amazing job in this.

3. The Story
It was just amazing, right from the very start, I couldn't stop watching it.

4. The Characters
The characters were just so memorable, especially Stansfield.

5. The Ending
I loved the ending to it, I was just so expecting it but I still loved it a lot.

6. The Action
I really loved the action put in with all the drama put in as well.

7. The Drama
Okay, I probably like this more than the action, but they're about equal for me.

8. The Begining Opening Scene
It was just cool seeing Leon doing that first hit shown in the movie.

9. Leon Being Such A Caring Person
I loved how they made Leon just such a loveable guy, but still a very deadly person not to mess with.

10.The Feel
Just the general feel of it, it's hard to explain, you just have to see it to find out.

Tom Savini is the sex. If he's acting in any film it almost automatically adds another popcorn bucket. Plus his SFX work is bar none.

is thouroughly embarrassed of this old username.
Noriko's Dinner Table (2005)

1. Acting: Each actor plays a character with so many layers and many of which are playing characters who themselves are playing another 1 or 2 characters at one time (hard to explain, very impressive though).

2. Music: The music is very calm and makes me feel sublime, if the movie starts, I have to watch at least the first 15 minutes just because of the music.

3. Kazue Fukiishi (lead role) is one of the most attractive women I've ever seen.

4. The unique narrative style is extremely gripping.

5. Fantastic climax that whole movie builds to.

6. The "Family Circle" is the most unique concept I've encountered in film.

7. The character of Kumiko (Ueno_Station54) is so interesting.

8. The themes of individuality are executed in a way that truly spoke to me.

9. The thin line shown between life and death keeps every element of the movie interesting.

10. The movie being split into chapters that express every characters thoughts and feelings makes the film so engaging and there's a character everyone can (in some way) relate to.

1-Don Cheadle

2-Terrence Howard

3-Matt Dillon

4-Sandra Bullock

5-Ryan Phillippe

6-Michael Pena

7-Brendan Fraser

8-Ludacris

9-Jennifer Esposito

10-Larenz Tate

It is as simple as that!! A brilliant movie built on brilliant performances!! Every actor and actress in this movie performed there part perfectly! And yes I did put Ludacris up there!

RightUpTheLittleTramps@ss !
I like so many movies. But I can name one. LOL

1989 Puppet Master.

ten reasons why I like it.

1. love the nasty Neil Gallagher.

2. Love Tunneler when he's drilling.

3. Dana Hadley is great too.

4. love the Deju Vu Waltz dream Alex Whittaker has.

5. Love the elevator scene at the end of the movie.

6. Love when Blade chases Dana.

7. Love when Carrissa Stamford first lays down on her bed in the hotel.

8. Love when Pinhead picks up the poker from the fireplace.

9. Love when Neil Gallagher is punching Alex Whittaker.

10. Love the following quote along with others Neil says. NEIL GALLAGHER= " its time to die Alex, So you can live forever!"

Arnie Cunningham- Right up the little tramps @ss!

Shichinin no Samurai

- Akira Kurosawa
- Toshiro Mifune
- One of the greatest stories ever told on film
- The masterfully orchestrated battles between Samurai and Bandits
- Historically accurate costumes and weaponry
- The assault on the Bandit's camp
- Kikuchiyo's family tree
- Kyuzo's sword duel
- Filmed in Black & White
- AKIRA KUROSAWA!

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
OK, I realize that this is not a way for me to win friends and influence people. Although it's always been obvious to me that Gone With the Wind is a great film, it's relentlessly been attacked, especially recently, as a racist film which doesn't deserve to be mentioned among "good" people, but I say "Horse Feathers!" HA!

1. GWTW is one of the greatest examples of cinematic storytelling in the history of film. Let's leave the plot alone for a moment. As a film which tells a gargantuan story with dozens of characters and covers many years, GWTW is basically unrivaled. In fact, the film which most closely resembles its story arc, The Godfather, is accepted as an awesome "family-based" film, even though it's about a family of murderers. Oh well, I guess it's better to be a murderer than have anything to do with slavery (at least if you find some kind of moral difference between the two).

2. David O. Selznick, the producer of GWTW, was one of the most hands-on, fastidious producers ever. Selznick produced the following masterpieces: A Tale of Two Cities, Nothing Sacred, A Star is Born, The Young in Heart (personal fave), Intermezzo: A Love Story, Rebecca, Since You Went Away, Spellbound, Duel in the Sun, Portrait of Jennie, and The Third Man. Even so, Selznick is best known for GWTW. His vision is all over the film, from the use of gorgeous special effects and matte paintings used to highlight the characters amongst their surroundings to the no-holds-barred budget he provided for the film. If somebody can, please explain to me how this mind-boggling scene which ends Part One is not incredible.

3. The actresses in this film give some of the greatest performances in film history. Vivien Leigh, well-deserving of her Best Actress Oscar, is spectacular as the spoiled Southern brat who grows through tragedy to a woman who can support her family throughout all the trials they're forced to endure. Olivia de Havilland, as Melanie, is one of the most-dignified and loving characters in film history, and the triumphant, Oscar-winning Hattie McDaniel plays Mammy as one of the most knowledgeable and beloved characters ever. Check out this "Just like a spider" scene:

Crap, you have to CLICK THIS INSTEAD:

4. Clark Gable was born to play Rhett Butler, and he is awesome in the role. I recall Caitlyn saying that he was old enough to be Scarlett's dad, but that seems like a way things were done in the South in the past. In real life, Gable was 38 and Leigh was 25. I cannot consider any other actor who could play Rhett Butler. Just watch how great The King (Gable) is here, proving both how macho and how sensitive he is.

&feature=PlayList&p=681F6A3D03174B82&playnext=1&index=5

5. Max Steiner's musical score is one of the most memorable to ever be heard, especially over such grand visuals.

6. I've been trying to find the famous scene of all the Southern soldiers laying dead and broken as the camera pulls back to the bullet-ridden Confederate flag, but this is as close as I can get to that iconic scene. Anything which is anti-war is all right by me.

&feature=related

7. GWTW is both exciting and wildly romantic...

&feature=related

8. GWTW has the original Superman! (George Reeves) [the guy on the right!]

9. Thomas Mitchell won an Oscar this same year for Stagecoach, but you can be sure that his performance as Caity Scarlett O'Hara's pop contributed to it.

10. GWTW obviously has one of the most memorable ending scenes ever, and it may well be the most tragic romance ever filmed. (And none of this has to do with slavery!) And if anybody wants to call it "lame", I may shoot you! HA! (I hope.)

Fin

1. John Carpenter - This is where he truly took center stage as the ringmaster of horror films. During the late 70s through to the beginning of the 90s, John Carpenter is untouched. No director in the genre of horror can come close to equaling his accomplishments. Halloween set his status in stone.

2. Michael Meyers - While not my favorite slasher master, he ideally encompasses the physical fear of Halloween. The boogeyman. Never speaking adds great depth to a character that would've been otherwise tarnished with speaking lines...there is always a suspenseful moment on screen when Michael is around.

3. Jamie Lee Curtis - Taking up the reigns from her mother as Scream Queen really built a character I could care about watching. I wanted her to survive each harrowing escape, to come back and face Michael. She gave us a horror heroine that was enjoyable to watch not to mention could double as a centerfold. Beauty AND brains.

4. Halloween - What a perfect 'holiday' to make a horror movie around. Halloween is easily my favorite day of year and has been ever since I was a little kid. Dressing up in costume and playing trick or treat around the neighborhood; there is nothing better as kid...except maybe Christmas.

5. Cinematography - Dean Cundey is truly brilliant. He worked many times with Carpenter and the photography always looked perfect. In particular for Halloween was the lighting and mood set by it. I've never seen a more eerie scene than that of the Doyle's living room on Halloween night.

6. Build-up - I really enjoyed the way this film builds up to it's finale. The majority of the film you never seen Michael. It's only for the last 10 minutes that you actually get to see his masked face and eventually his face for a brief moment. It loses much of it's appeal on newer film goers, but the slower more steady pace of Halloween should be written in the film bible for all aspiring filmmakers to study.

7. Locations - The locations of Halloween were so spot on for fulfilling the right tone for the movie. It has a nice "home" feel to the neighborhoods. The scenery, leaves etc., were done just right to make it feel the way it did when I was a kidding roaming the streets every October 31st.

8. Editing - Ties into the 'build-up' in that it was spliced together perfectly. Everything fit. Nothing felt out of place or wonton and unneeded. It kept the immersion to the story intact.

9. Casting - All in all this was a great 80s cast. While shot on the cusp of the 1980s, you had unforgettables - namely P.J Soles. I don't care what the movie is or what it's about, if it was made in the 1980s and it has P.J Soles in it, I'm all over it!

10. Simplicity - Halloween as a horror, and as a film in general, is straightfoward and simple. There are no difficult twists and plot hooks that Carpenter tries to throw at you to make the film feel more complex than it needs to be. The story is told how it needs to be told without excessive footnotes or subplots.

"A film is a putrified fountain of thought"
Pan's Labyrinth

1.The characters- Every character represents a very distinct part of humanity, but at no point do they become annoyingly symbolic, predictable, or underdeveloped. I love all of them in their own way, but Captain Vidal deserves a special note for being at least in my top 5 most monsterous characters ever captured on screen. The whole cast was outstanding, especially Ivana Baquero. I'm picky about my child actors, but she impressively held her own against the incredible talent of the adult cast.

2.The music- Just wonderful. Fits the movie perfectly.

3.The details- There's something about the detail of Guillermo del Toro's movies that always stick with me. The colors were a big thing for me in this. The color of the spilt curdled milk, the darkness of the blood... I love the way the mud is smeared on her when she emerges from the base of the tree... I dunno, for some reason there are just a bunch of little random things like that that add to my love.

4.Guillermo del Toro- Not even the directing, but the way he talks about his movies make me love them even more. You can see the deep passion he has for what he does with every word and gesture when he's talking about his movies, and he really knows what he's talking about. The level at which he develops his movies astounds me, and I want to know eveything he has to say because it always adds to my understanding of his movies.

5.Visuals-One of the most visual pleasing movies I have ever seen. The set design, the cinematography, the creatures, the directing...everything just looks beautiful.

6.Fairytales- It was a real fairytale. It used fiction as a tool for reality, and it did so in the dark, horrific way of the traditional fairytale without losing itself to the darkness. Well, he can say this better than I ever could-"There are fairy tales that are created to instill fear in children, and there are fairy tales that are created to instill hope and magic in children. I like those. I like the anarchic ones. I like the crazy ones. And, I think that all of them have a huge quotient of darkness because the one thing that alchemy understands, and fairy tale lore understands, is that you need the vile matter for magic to flourish. You need lead to turn it into gold. "

7.Imagination- shows the overwhelming power of imagination in pretty much every way possible.

8.Real horror- I love horror movies, but what's considered "horror" is usually just what I consider fun, but I felt real horror when watching some of the scenes in this.

9.Entertaining and intellectual- It's hard to find a work that is so entertaining and intellectual at the same time. It's like with books, the "literature" they make us read in school may have profound things to say, but I don't really care if it's not enjoyable to read. Meanwhile, fiction books are always enjoyable to read, but it's hard to really love them if they're devoid of any depth. This movie is the perfect combination-a true cinematic masterpiece.

10.The ending- Words can't even describe how much I love it. First time I saw this in theatres and the credits came up and I was like wow that was absolutely amazing. About ten minutes later I was driving home and I had to pull over cause out of nowhere it all hit me and I started bawling. It was one of the weirdest and most emotional responses I've ever had to a movie and cemented it as one of my favorite films of all time.

Film Fan
Oldboy.

I - [Premise] - An interesting twist on revenge.

II - [Storyline] - The story is powerful, unique.

III - [Acting] Choi Min-Sik's performance alone is a powerhouse. He is a freight train in motion, tearing, literally and figuratively, everything in his path to shreds, but retaining what little humanity he has left even as he loses the bit of control he has left in life. Ji Tae-Yi plays the villian with an interesting premise as well. This is not a 'soldier' or 'mental' villian. He simply enjoys watching Oh Dae-Su suffer, but he does not realize until the very end what his own game is doing to his soul.

IV - [Cinematography] The film's cinematography is unmatched. The 2.35:1 framing is perfect, the colors and bright and vibrant one minute, then muted and smoldering the next. The camera work and use of CGI to help the storyline rather than to pad it is masterful.

V - [Twist] Oldboy has a damning, final twist that will blow your mind and devour your soul. It will truly change the way you view this film.

VI - [The famous fight scene.] For those of you that don't know, Oldboy has a marvelous, tour-de-force of a sequence where Oh Dae Su fights 20 or so of his former jailers in a narrow corridor, all in one, long unbroken three-minute take side-scrolling down the corridor. The framing and score remind us of his desperate situation - his only escape is to fight. The pulsing heartbeat over the score and the 2D feel of the scene on one hand, showcase the triumph of his battle, but also the desperate, crushing loneliness. He is truly alone. His rage is so powerful that even the knife in his back cannot slow down his rage.

VII - [Romance] The romance between Oh Dae-Su and Mido that lies at the heart of the story is unique as well. Poignant and brought to life, we know why Mido is drawn to the poor soul, and why she herself feels the loneliness that brings her to him, and their scenes together ring with an honest truth.

VIII - [The use of CGI] As I mentioned above, there are very few films that make use of CGI to help tell the story rather than to pad it out. The work of David Fincher comes to mind [Fight Club, Se7en, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button]. Here CGI is used to powerful effect.

IX - [Score] Oldboy would not be the same without it's powerful score. Highlights include; 'The Old Boy', which is played during the One Against Many sequence, 'Finally, The Truth', which plays after the final, damning twist, 'My story', which plays during the striking, attention-grabbing prologue.

X - [Complete]. This story is complete. We witness, in just 2 hours and 1 minute, the full saga of Oh Dae-Su's pain, triumph, despair, hope, and the world around him. When the lights go up, and the credits begin to play over the hauntingly beautiful Four Seasons - Winter by Vivaldi, there is not a dry eye viewing the screen.

This film is a brilliant, powerful masterpiece. It is not for the faint of heart. Not just because of the R rating, almost mundane sequences of violence, sometimes bloody, or the other adult material, but because as Ebert said; "It digs to the depths of the human soul and grips us.".

Let's try to be broad-minded about this
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy

10. The visuals & effects - This one pretty much speaks for itself, what with all of the sprawling landscapes filmed on location in New Zealand, they avoided the green screen (for the most part) and found locations that were completely transformed into places like The Shire, and Edoras and stayed very consistent with the book. Of course the huge battle scenes were one of the coolest things i've ever seen, i consistently get goosebumps every time i watch Rohan come save the day in Return of the King, a lot of that might be my emotional investment in the movie though but seriously, the war scenes were still what i always looked forward to.

9. Continuity - The way that all three movies flow together is amaaazing. It is a combined ten hour movie experience (not including the extended edition) and this could have gone bad real quick but it didn't. There isn't one scene where i thought to myself 'does this really contribute anything to the plot/story/character/theme?' because everything did. When the Fellowship splits apart the characters still stay connected which I think is important even though they don’t really have much screen time together. All of their hope now rests in the hands of two hobbits…heh I think I just quoted Gandalf but you can still see the rest of the Fellowship fighting the pure evil of Mordor and Sauron’s followers in order to give Frodo the chance he needs. The change of atmosphere from Fellowship to Return of the King is colossal. Each movie grows continually darker as the hobbits travel closer to Mordor and are physically and mentally beaten down which is stark contrast to the life they lived back in the shire with no worry in the world...which leads me to my next one.

8-6. Character Transformation - The biggest character transformation is obviously Frodo, he is curious and the thought of an adventure is glorified in his mind it's what he's wanted because of his uncle Bilbo and all of his adventures. And then you see the Ring with all it's pure unmitigated evil start to ebb away at his soul and i absolutely love how nobody other than a hobbit is even capable of the task because only hobbits, teeny tiny half-lings have enough goodness in their heart to resist the corruption that comes along with bearing the ring...yeah it sounds cheesy but it's just amazing. My heart absolutely broke when Frodo finally gives in and puts the ring on his finger at the end and when he's dangling over the lava of Mount Doom and has that look of "can i please just let go now?" because he knows he'll never be the same and has lost the will to live but then of course Sam is there! and i love Sam so much, the task wouldn't have been completed without Sam there. I think that's the only reason that Frodo didn't let go at the end is because he knew how it would kill Sam inside.

And then of course there is Sam’s transformation. At the beginning of FOTR Sam is standing at the edge of a cornfield in the Shire saying, “If I take one more step, it’ll be the farthest away from home I’ve ever been.” And I personally think that is amazing for the story because there’s so much ahead of him he doesn’t even realize how much he’ll change. One thing that always stays the same throughout this story though is his loyalty to Frodo which I’ll get to later… sam’s boundaries are stretched so much throughout the story, when he saves Frodo from Shelob it is something that would never have been expected to come of a hobbit like him.

And I think you get the point of these character transformations, there’s just too many to even talk about, even the relationship between Gimli and Legolas changes as they experience a bond that I think only comes with fellow soldiers which I also think was some of the inspiration from Tolkein’s experience in WWI. They throw away racial discriminations and become friends before the end which again sounds cheesy but the whole journey that they take throughout all three movies still just awes me.

5. Smeagol – I think that Smeagol is one of the most tragic characters ever put to screen. The ring captured him from the first moment he ever saw it. It forced him to murder his cousin (? I think Deagol was his cousin…) and then the guilt and self pity physically and mentally transformed him into a nasty little ‘tricksy’ ******* with no other motivation than to get the ring and horde it away in a cave. One of the things that is so emotionally wrenching about his character are that there are so many signs of hope! You go from hating him, to loving him, to feeling for him, then back to hating him again. His different personas even have different names, Gollum and Smeagol, Smeagol was his hobbit name and the name of the part of him that wants to be good to Frodo because Frodo was good to him and when he tells Gollum to go away in TTT you almost think that he has fought off the ring’s temptation but it only shows again the unflinching power and temptation that the ring has over Gollum. At least though he has that look of pure joy on his face right before he dies while holding the ring which is in itself also symbolic.

4. Sam and Frodo – Call them gay I don’t care that just means you’re ignorant and I probably wouldn’t like you anyway. Sam and Frodo make me cry! When Sam carries Frodo up Mount Doom it’s seriously the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen…but I am a nerd sooo….anyway. And it all came from a promise that Sam made to Gandalf that he’d watch over Frodo so it tells you something about Sam’s personality too. Even when Frodo pushed him away (I cried at that part too =\) he comes back and saves his life because he understands the hold that the Ring is beginning to have over Frodo. Frodo was a middle class, educated hobbit and Sam was his gardener and yet they formed the best bond in cinematic history (IMO )

3. Effort – Obviously this movie had a massive amount of work and people that went into its creation but I think it also contributed to the movies. If you IMDB TTT or ROTK the scroll bar is tiny because there are soooo many people involved and I think that it really translates to the screen. All the actors were really connected to the story, everyone who was in the fellowship actually got elven tattoos (you can see Orlando Blooms in the first Pirates of the Caribbean when he and Johnny Depp locked swords in the blacksmith…place, look in either the upper left corner or upper right I don’t remember) I think that the amount of effort put into these movies definitely shows on the screen.

2. There’s so much! – There is so much that happens throughout all the films. There are so many characters who I think were all developed (the ones that matter anyway) I also love Denethor’s character who clings to the throne he never had in the first place just like he clings to the memory of his dead son and dismisses the son who is alive in front of him. I also like how you never actually see what Sauron looks like, NO he is not a giant eyeball and NO he is not a giant suit of armor seen at the beginning of FOTR. But I think evil is better left to the imagination because only you can come up with something that can be truly terrifying in your mind and I really like that, Tolkein never described what he looked like and Jackson never showed us. I also love the conflict between Gondor and Rohan and my goodness there’s so much conflict but again I never think that there’s too much going on because it fits everything perfectly. I haven’t even gotten a chance to talk about Saruman’s character or enough about Gandalf or even Aragorn who is pretty important hence Return of the King but that’s why I love these movies so much because there’s just so many details and characters and themes and people involved with these movies they just make me sooo happy

1. Love I’ve never loved any other movie like I love all of these. I’ve seen all three of them a total of 20 times in theaters and I loved them every time. I won’t try to describe to you my love for these movies because no words can describe it! Haha…I think I’m done. And you’re lucky, I could have gone on way longer but this is the theatrical version haha so uncut version maybe someday….

Man it’s hard to put all my thoughts down to make coherent sense