Iro's Film Diary

→ in
Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
#178 - The Nice Guys
Shane Black, 2016

In 1977 Los Angeles, a private detective reluctantly joins forces with a freelance enforcer in order to solve a missing-persons case.

Shane Black is one of those creators who I should like in theory but I have yet to find any film he's contributed to that I think is better than decent. His work as a writer shows that his knack for sharp-tongued buddy comedy can add a welcome degree of cleverness to some otherwise standard-issue action movies, but seeing him actually direct one of his own scripts with 2005's decidedly less action-packed Kiss Kiss Bang Bang was a bit of a let-down (plus a recent re-watch has not given me a greater appreciation of it). While he did add a modicum of personality to the otherwise orthodox superhero antics of Iron Man 3, it didn't seem like he was making too much of his storytelling talents. Even so, I still had faith that he'd eventually put out something that would work for me in a way that his previous creations (for all their strengths) didn't. This brings us to The Nice Guys, Black's latest venture into his trademark action-comedy territory. While the various trailers didn't quite work well enough to bowl me over, the combination of a 1970s setting and an especially mismatched pair of performers in the forms of Russell Crowe and Ryan Gosling was definitely enough to intrigue. It may have looked like a more retro variation on the Black formula, but that variation could very well make all the difference one way or the other.

While Kiss Kiss Bang Bang set up its core dynamic around a caustically no-nonsense detective who is forced to work alongside a buffoonish civilian, The Nice Guys reverses that by having it so that the detective is now the buffoon and is all the better for it. Gosling is one of those performers who has no problem subverting his leading-man reputation and he does it with aplomb as a thoroughly incompetent private eye who is beset with all sorts of problems as he tries to make a living off the cases offered by dotty old ladies. One such case results in him crossing paths with Crowe's burly slab of muscle-for-hire, whose first encounter with Gosling results in the former giving the latter a broken arm. As these two anti-heroes eventually come to realise that they have a common interest in the search for a missing young woman who has apparently fallen in with some sordid L.A. types, they reluctantly decide to team up (along with Angourie Rice as Gosling's sardonically precocious teenage daughter) to solve the case. This is all the premise that the film needs to send this unlikely duo pinballing across the incredibly gauche-looking boogie wonderland, swapping quips and getting into all sorts of demanding mishaps as they search for truth and justice (or whatever comes closest). While Crowe isn't exactly bridging new territory for himself by playing a rumpled tough guy with a heart of gold, that only proves that he's very much the right man for the job here as he proves a more grounded foil to Gosling's hapless goofball (and even Rice proves a bit more grounded than either of them, though not to the point where she is either annoyingly clever or simply boring). Other members of the ensemble deliver good turns - consummate character actor Keith David is solid as a hard-bitten enforcer while Matt Bomer holds his own as the latest in a long line of deranged hitmen to spring forth from Black's imagination.

The fact that Black sticks so closely to such a recognisably idiosyncratic formula when crafting all his scripts makes for quite a challenge as he must provide worthwhile tweaks to the more constant elements while fleshing out the rest of the film around said elements. It's perhaps worth noting that he shares his writing credit with relative unknown Anthony Bagarozzi, which does suggest a willingness to compromise that arguably works in the film's favour. A major problem I had with Kiss Kiss Bang Bang was its sheer inconsistency of tone as Black attempted to blend his usual buddy-comedy approach with a grim tale of Hollywood villainy and a smugly self-aware parody of the noir genre. The Nice Guys still has some issues with tone as it juggles smart-mouthed tomfoolery with an exploration of Los Angeles' seedy underbelly, though it still doesn't let things spin out of control on inappropriate tangents. It does have its dark moments, sure, but it never goes too far in this regard and thus proves to be much more digestible as a result. This tonal flexibility proves to be The Nice Guys' greatest strength as it can not only afford to indulge some potentially tiresome gags involving pratfalls and insults but can also allow the film's inner heart to show through underneath a variety of tough-guy clichés without resorting to egregiously satirical jabs.

While The Nice Guys isn't quite the action-comedy masterpiece that I was hoping for, it still feels like the Black movie that I've been waiting for. Even without the inherently goofy '70s backdrop, this feels like a film where he's managed to balance and fine-tune his quirks into something that genuinely fires on all cylinders. Though the action lacks the sheer bombast or scale that one might associate with Lethal Weapon or The Last Boy Scout or even Iron Man 3, there's still enough creativity to the brawls and shoot-outs that it hardly matters. Perhaps more importantly, the comedy side of things is consistently amusing in ways that range from muttered one-liners to the kind of overdone histrionics that might sink a lesser film but actually work well here (with a lot of its success being due to Gosling striving for maximum foolishness). Time will tell if it truly holds up, but I actually feel like it could - a silly hope, perhaps, but the fact that this movie gives me any hope at all (despite the story's wacky cynicism, of course) is as good a sign as any that I've watched something genuinely worthwhile.

Do you really think the 70's back drop is inherently goofy? I think it has just become a cool aesthetic for comedies. Did Argo feel goofy?

Do you really think the 70's back drop is inherently goofy? I think it has just become a cool aesthetic for comedies. Did Argo feel goofy?
Hmm, I guess I should have specified that it was inherently goofy in The Nice Guys, where pretty much every instance of the setting being called to attention was played for laughs. Not sure if it's really become a cool aesthetic for comedies, at least not enough to become a trend - how many other recent examples of '70s-set comedies are there? Also, I'd say Argo is goofy to an extent - practically every scene involving Alan Arkin and/or John Goodman qualifies - though I don't automatically think that it was because of the late-'70s/early-'80s setting.

Maybe your right, American Hustle is the only one that comes to mind at the moment. I have to think though, feels like I see a trailer with a 70's aesthetic once a season. You're right about the Goodman stuff too. Forget I posted in here.

Maybe your right, American Hustle is the only one that comes to mind at the moment. I have to think though, feels like I see a trailer with a 70's aesthetic once a season. You're right about the Goodman stuff too. Forget I posted in here.
The most obvious connection I made was to Inherent Vice, which also has the whole off-beat '70s detective thing going on. The Nice Guys is at least a little more accessible.

#179 - Beverly Hills Cop
Martin Brest, 1984

A loose-cannon police officer travels from his hometown of Detroit to Beverly Hills in order to find out the reason why his friend was murdered.

I haven't watched Beverly Hills Cop in about a decade and wasn't all that impressed with it the last time, but I think that I was definitely right to give it a second chance. It may work off an extremely familiar plot with its fish-out-of-water cop trying to solve a mystery and being stupefied at every turn by both villains and allies alike (to say nothing of the setting itself), but it works. A lot of that is down to Eddie Murphy deploying an incredibly infectious level of charm as a jovial yet sharp-witted police officer whose rapid-fire dialogue and hearty laugh are more than enough to carry the film. There's a decent supporting cast at work here and the mid-'80s action-comedy aesthetic (best exemplified by Harold Faltermeyer's iconic synthesised score) complements the film just fine, plus it can actually pull off some decent action towards the end as well.

#180 - Beverly Hills Cop II
Tony Scott, 1987

A loose-cannon police officer travels from his hometown of Detroit to Beverly Hills in order to find out the reason why his friend was almost murdered.

While it's definitely inferior to the original, Beverly Hills Cop II benefits at least a little from bringing in Tony Scott to deliver his particular brand of aggressively '80s style to the action side of things. Though it does recycle its premise a bit in order to get the plot moving, it's able to provide enough of a variation to be worth watching. Supporting characters from the last film are brought back and given more to do than just be perpetually flustered foils to Murphy's antics, plus there are some decent new villains in the mix. Not without its issues, but still more fun than I expected.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Never seen a BHC movie from beginning to end.

Suspect's Reviews

#181 - Magic Mike
Steven Soderbergh, 2012

A male stripper wants to open his own furniture business but must deal with a variety of personal and professional conflicts that are connected to his current job.

With Magic Mike, Steven Soderbergh provides another genre movie with a twist as he takes what could have been a simple excuse to show a bunch of buff guys stripping and actually makes a good go of infusing the characters and narrative with a certain degree of depth. That being said, it only goes so far in providing said depth beneath its well-choreographed scenes of rippling man-muscle. It ekes some decent performances out of its hunky ensemble (with the stand-out being Matthew McConaughey bringing his characteristically charming drawl to the prceedings) and Soderbergh shows off some distinctively over-saturated yellow in his cinematography, but I can't give it too much credit as a story or even as a film about characters. That's not to say that it isn't at least a little fun to watch, but Magic Mike does struggle to provide much of worth underneath its well-oiled surface.

#182 - Lost River
Ryan Gosling, 2014

A single mother and her teenage son must deal with some sinister individuals in a crumbling American small town.

As I noted in my review for The Nice Guys, one thing I appreciate about Ryan Gosling is his willingness to play havoc with his status as a handsome, charismatic leading man, and his filmmaking debut is no different. Lost River is definitely a flawed film as it involves Gosling wearing his many influences on his sleeve but not quite fashioning them together into a cohesive whole, resulting in a film that is largely an endurance test despite its brief running time. That being said, just because it's a fundamentally messy film doesn't mean that it doesn't have its positive qualities. The obvious stand-out might be the cinematography by Benoit Debie (Enter the Void, Spring Breakers) that is capable of illuminating many a harsh and/or beautiful scene in the most delightfully garish colours. There's also something to be said for some of the more talented performers in the cast who may not always get the most to do but will at least commit to some unlikely characterisation - chief among them is Matt Smith of Doctor Who fame as a skinheaded creep who causes his fair share of grief to some of the more sympathetic characters. While I'm not too inclined to think of Lost River as a good film, it's not for lack of trying on the part of Gosling and co. Since it feels so much like a rough draft, I hope that Gosling gets the chance to refine his approach and strike out on his own rather than mimic other directors.

#183 - Serial Mom
John Waters, 1994

A seemingly normal suburban housewife decides to act on her budding homicidal tendencies and murder anyone who causes trouble for her family.

It's perhaps fitting that this came out in the same year as Natural Born Killers, Oliver Stone's garish satire about vicious serial killers and the media circus that enables them. While Stone's film went with the familiar stereotype of trailer-trash lovers killing anyone who dared to keep them apart, John Waters' Serial Mom goes to even more absurd lengths by having the serial killer in question be a chipper stay-at-home mom who starts attacking people for making even the smallest slights against her or her family. The whole thing plays out like a trashy movie-of-the-week but is lent extra weirdness by Waters' guiding hand that is able to play scenes for laughs without shying away from exposing the insidious subtext surrounding not just suburban absurdity but also poking holes in the concept of murderer-as-celebrity. Of course, much of the appeal is in the exaggerated characters and how well they are played (especially Kathleen Turner doing a great job as the eponymous mom), resulting in a film that's got its fair share of laughs and doesn't outstay its welcome.

#184 - Mommie Dearest
Frank Perry, 1981

Based on the life of Hollywood legend Joan Crawford and her relationship with her adopted daughter, Christina.

Given its reputation as a winner of multiple Razzies and the notoriety surrounding Faye Dunaway's absurdly melodramatic lead performance as Joan Crawford, it was all too easy to go into Mommie Dearest expecting some sort of campy mess of a film. What I got was...not quite that. Despite its rather cheap-looking production and the generally stilted performances by everyone who isn't Dunaway, Mommie Dearest actually manages to be somewhat effective because it does go to some genuinely uncomfortable places in depicting Joan physically and psychologically abusing Christina (even the infamous "wire hangers" scene manages to play out as more horrifying than hammy). Even scenes where Joan and Christina are actually sharing some peace feel like they could erupt into unsettling histrionics at any moment. That being said, I'm not sure that the film's ability to generate perpetual unease can truly be seen as a strength capable of supporting the rest of the film; as a whole, Mommie Dearest plays out like a rather awkwardly-staged made-for-TV movie about the life and times of Joan Crawford even with Christina serving as the deuteragonist (especially since her tell-all memoir serves as the basis of the film). As a result, it's a rather weird little film that defies easy categorisation or judgment - it's too amateur-ish to be a genuinely great drama, but it's too dark to be treated as a campy curiosity.

The most obvious connection I made was to Inherent Vice, which also has the whole off-beat '70s detective thing going on. The Nice Guys is at least a little more accessible.
Not sure why I didn't think of Inherent Vice. Yes I do, because my brain doesn't work properly. Just went and saw Nice Guys last night. Pretty sure I love it, can't remember the last time I laughed out loud in a theater so much. It was doing much more thematically than I expected as well. Pretty uneven in that respect, but certainly deserves another watch or two because of it.

#185 - Maximum Overdrive
Stephen King, 1986

When a passing comet causes all machines on Earth to come alive and start attacking humans, a group of survivors must fight off their mechanical foes.

Ah, the '80s, where renowned horror writer Stephen King could try his hand at directing a film based on his own writing and almost succeed. Maximum Overdrive - based on the short story "Trucks" about (you guessed it) trucks that come to life and start terrorising humans - is not without its charm. It does revel in its absurdity quite a bit as it pits a collection of odd individuals against an army of killer trucks and mechanical devices, featuring a number of gory and occasionally comical deaths in the process. The fact that the soundtrack consists of songs by AC/DC only adds to the sense of chaotic absurdity taking place on-screen. However, even King's own twisted sensibilities are not enough to truly redeem this film - the characters are too flat to make a simplistic plot truly pop, plus the scenes of extreme violence and vehicular destruction can grow repetitive even in a film as short as this one. While I was hoping that Maximum Overdrive would be a rather fun and propulsive little B-movie, the strengths that it does have are not nearly enough to carry it that far and instead leave a rather middling excuse for a carnage-filled mix of action, horror, and comedy.

Never seen a BHC movie from beginning to end.
I think the first one is definitely worth a full viewing, the second one not so much. Still want to see the third one even though I've heard it's not as good as the others.

I feel like he tried to channel Nicolas Winding Refn with that one.
That would be the most obvious one given their previous collaborations, but you can pick up on a variety of other influences as well (Lynch, Malick, Korine, Noe) to the point where it becomes a question of which director he's trying to emulate at any given point.

I'm a fan of Serial Mom it's something that I think would play well today.
Perhaps. The fact that I immediately thought of Natural Born Killers does make me wonder if this is a distinctly '90s phenomenon (especially with other films like S.F.W. or Kalifornia trading in similar concerns).

Not sure why I didn't think of Inherent Vice. Yes I do, because my brain doesn't work properly. Just went and saw Nice Guys last night. Pretty sure I love it, can't remember the last time I laughed out loud in a theater so much. It was doing much more thematically than I expected as well. Pretty uneven in that respect, but certainly deserves another watch or two because of it.
Yeah, I think it might be the funniest 2016 film I've seen as of writing and I'm definitely looking forward to revisiting it.

Ah, the '80s, where renowned horror writer Stephen King could try his hand at directing a film based on his own writing and almost succeed.
It seems like movies based on Stephen King stories only really succeed when he himself is not involved haha.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I never knew what this movie was about. I always figured it was another Christine, but with Iro's quick description, it makes me want to see it.