Thoughts on "Roar", the movie featuring 100 untamed lions

Tools    

I happened upon a trailer for "Roar" (can't post the link because I don't yet have that privilege) that left me slack-jawed in disbelief. It looks like an absurdly wild film. Towering jungle cats traipsing around someone's house, fighting and eating and doing jungle cat things--including mauling the cast.

The film was shot over 10 years and features 150 untamed, big cats--lions, tigers, cheetahs, etc. Apparently no animals were injured yet 70 cast/crew members were.

Has anyone seen this or does anyone have any comments on it?

Just how big is that house?

And who thought that'd be a good idea?

And who continued to work on the thing after the twentieth or so injury?

Yes--the whole thing is just absurd. The genesis of the idea, the premise of the story, the living arrangements for the cast--all of it is wacky

This is the movie starring Tippi Hedren and family. I know that daughter Melanie Griffith supposedly got scarred during filming. I've always wanted to see it, ever since hearing about it while it was being filmed. Back in 1981, I got my movie news from shows like The Merv Griffin Show and articles from the newspapers (back when my newspaper covered entertainment for several pages).

Okay, I went to IMDB and looked up the info on this movie and it's unbelievable! I had to stop because there's just too much info and most of it is pretty gnarly. Here's the link:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083001/...ef_=tt_trv_trv

Sounds interesting..

Were movies not required to have insurance back then? Who would insure such a thing.. and what sort of sadist would direct it.

"With a budget of around US $17 million, this picture has been described as the most expensive home movie ever made." -imdb trivia

I was wondering who would put money behind this film. Apparently it was Tippi Hedren's husband, director Noel Marshall:

"Noel Marshall initially and ultimately partially financed this movie from revenue generated from such other pictures as The Harrad Experiment (1973) and The Exorcist (1973)." -imdb trivia

I saw this on tv a long time ago and remember being entirely underwhelmed.

I remember this when it came out. The only two things I can remember about it are lions (cubs maybe) jumping around in a kitchen and Tippi screaming. I think they were being attacked outside or something like that. I don't remember anyone liking it or even hearing about anyone liking it.

Saw the trailer recently. Apparently it is coming to the Alamo Drafthouse. Looks interesting. But not interesting enough for me to drive to Richardson.
I have heard a lot about that theater slinger. How close to it are you? Have you been?

Holy crap...

Dang, Gunslinger, Richardson is almost all the way to Plano...I used to have to drive from Fort Worth to Lewisville to drop my wife off at work and pick her up, so I can't imagine driving to Richardson to see a movie. Still, we used to go to Dallas to see classics on the big screen. I didn't even know there was an Alamo Drafthouse in Richardson till you said so. If I were twenty years younger I might do it.