Best/Worst Fantasy Films

Tools    

Here I am/There I go
Best fantasy film: Fellowship of the Ring
Worst fantasy film: Krull the conqurer, Hawk the slayer, Red Sonya ect...
Too many to chose just one.

[i]Too many to chose just one. [/b]

death to final fantasy (well its sorta fantasy)
No, you're wrong! Well, to me you are...have you seen Final Fantasy VII yet?

The Lord of the Rings

Best:

.Harry Potter
.The Lord of the Rings
.Spirited Away
.Princess Mononoke
.The Chronicles of Narnia
.Eragon

Worst:

.Hm, haven't really seen any bad ones yet. ^^;

A system of cells interlinked
No, you're wrong! Well, to me you are...have you seen Final Fantasy VII yet?
I have - I own it. I got a copy as a gift a short time after it was released. As a die-hard Final Fantasy fan that has played every title since the first in 1990, I was pretty psyched to hear that one of my favorites in the series of games was getting an animated film treatment. I had seen The Spirits Within a couple of times, and, although that flick has a couple of convoluted plot devices, I thought the acting and overall tone of the film was pretty well done, so I had hoped Advent Children would at least be decent. Unfortunately, the film arrived and for me, it fell flat on its face - Childish, over-the-top, and silly. The CGI was sort of cool and creative, but the characters all drove me up the wall. None of the depth of the original back story was even attempted, with rote action scenes just sort of tacked together with a half-ass attempt at plotting. There were a couple of fun scenes, but for the most part, I didn't enjoy the film very much.

I thought the game Final Fantasy X told its story about a billion times better, with engaging twists and developments, good voice acting, and actual emotion and depth. FF XII, again a game, not a film, was also head and shoulders better than Advent Children, if not on a level with FF VII (game) and FFX (game).

I have - I own it. I got a copy as a gift a short time after it was released. As a die-hard Final Fantasy fan that has played every title since the first in 1990, I was pretty psyched to hear that one of my favorites in the series of games was getting an animated film treatment. I had seen The Spirits Within a couple of times, and, although that flick has a couple of convoluted plot devices, I thought the acting and overall tone of the film was pretty well done, so I had hoped Advent Children would at least be decent. Unfortunately, the film arrived and for me, it fell flat on its face - Childish, over-the-top, and silly. The CGI was sort of cool and creative, but the characters all drove me up the wall. None of the depth of the original back story was even attempted, with rote action scenes just sort of tacked together with a half-ass attempt at plotting. There were a couple of fun scenes, but for the most part, I didn't enjoy the film very much.

I thought the game Final Fantasy X told its story about a billion times better, with engaging twists and developments, good voice acting, and actual emotion and depth. FF XII, again a game, not a film, was also head and shoulders better than Advent Children, if not on a level with FF VII (game) and FFX (game).
Yeah, I do agree with some of what you're saying about Advent Children, like how they didn't even mention any of the original backstory and such.
I actually liked Last Order better, but is that counted as a movie?

best: krull or legend... maybe neverending story

worst: the one where sean connery played the dragon and dennis quaid killed him...?

My top 5 fave*:

5. LADYHAWKE
Back in the day, quality sword & sorcery movies were incredibly rare. This & Legend were the only ones I ever really liked (wasn't much of a fan of Willow), up until when LOTR finally got made many years later.
And while Legend focused more on it's stunning sets & character designs, this one was geared more thru it's storytelling & character developement).
A love story appropiated thru the genre, this down-to-earth fantasy-based film stars Ferris Bueller, Scarface's girlfriend & a replicant.

4. LORD OF THE RINGS: RETURN OF THE KING
For me, this series suffered from what I always thought the problem would be of trying to condense such a full & detailed storyline into three movies. The story left the alot areas for the viewer to fill in, certain ideas seem to almost come out of nowhere since there was almost no room to introduce them & there was quite a lack of hatable villians in these movies (Gollum seem to come closest in this trilogy). Now don't get me wrong, they're kick-ass looking villians & their concepts are great, but because so much is trying to be fit in the limited space of the running times, it doesn't feel to me like anyone one can really jump up & down when the good guys ultimately beat 'em.
However, all of that is still just a minor quibble. Seeing dragons & giant spiders come to life in the manner that they were always meant to, magic being blasted with the power to awe, & giant sword & sorcery war scenes with a sweeping & mythological epic quality that used to be incomprehensible for the cinema in earlier years make up for any sacrifice that was made in order to be able to fit all this stuff onto the silver screen.
Over-all, I was just really happy & satisfied that to finally see a series of the fantasy genre being adapted onto film with the respect & effort of the highest quality.

3. HARRY POTTER & THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN
As someone who had no real interest in this series or it's subject matter, it wasn't until this istallment that I finally watched a Harry Potter movie. And being that I never read any of the books, I was quite taken aback at the over-all consistancy of balance between the fantasy element of the wizarding world & that of the perosnal struggles of what goes thru a young person's mind trying to deal with things like death, authority & finding one's place in the life. Compelling drama, a storyline that both successfully continues the series & yet also manages to stand on it's own, well-placed chemistry between the characters, medevil sets in the modern world that visually stun, Dementors that horrify, old tree willows that whomp & even a werewolf that looks pretty damn bad-ass.
I walked into this film an indifferentiated non-fan & ended up coming out a hardcore Pot-head.

2. THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA: THE LION, THE WITCH & THE WARDROBE
This movie had the same effect on me as The Prisoner Of Azkaban, the 1st Harry Potter film I saw. It's a project based on a book series that I not only never read but never really had any interest in.
Yet, after watching the film, I was kind of surprised at how it was able to sweep me into it's world of ice queens & half men/half animal hybrids, a found that the whole basic theme of "faith" not so as off-putting as I suspected it would be (which is what originally kept me away from the written series).

As a kid, I used to think that sword & sorcery stories were supposed to be more intricate & more mature & more interesting versions of fairy tales. However, as I grew up, I found that the few movies that were made of this genre tended to fall short on either the fantasy or the consistency of the plot (for some reason, the idea of characters interacting with mythic creatures always seemed difficult for script writers to string together).
But The Chronicles of Narnia seemed to be able to aptly pull this off, at least in the 1st part of this film as the major players are introduced. Even more so, IMO, than in Lord Of The Rings.
The characters in Narnia looked just like fantasy characters were meant to look, the story came off as epic as the genre tends to aspire to be & every million dollar denomination was richly visable in the special effects.
While still not a perfect movie, for me, The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe definitely was a surprise in it's over-all quality as a fully integrated movie of magic, metaphor & really cool CGI-enhanced action.

1. LEGEND
Legend was probably the first movie to come into my life where I felt that it truly captured the fantasy element of a sword & sorcery saga that I always wanted to see on film when it came to this genre. The visuals in this movie are amazing, bright & with alot of energy (especially for it's time) & encapsulate the kind that I would envisioned whenever I read a book featuring elves, trolls, unicorns & whatnot. Even the devil character who acted as the antagonist was spared no expense at the baddassery of his gigantically horned self.
I think that Legend was an aptly titled big step into what these types of movies had the potential to be.

* Sorry, but I don't do worst.

Employee of the Month
I could understand Beastmaster... but the others are great fantasy films! I mean why not put the D&D movie there instead?

Or Highlander II ? It`s awful! Beowulf (with Christopher Lambert, too) was even absolutely bad.