The best sequel ever made...

Tools    

Kenny, don't paint your sister.
Even though Tom Clancy much preffered Alec Baldwin as Jack Ryan over Harrison Ford I did like Patriot Games more than Hunt For Red October. Honestly if Ford was Ryan in HFRO I believe imo it would have made the film better. Ford was just one of the best leading men in alot of movie roles, and even moreso than Alec Baldwin today though the opportunities arent there as much.

Cant decide if Clear And Present Danger was better than Patriot Games. Probably not because only in an efficient government would the president be held so accountable. Hard to difinitively say which movie is better than in the case of all three as they all were very equal in quality. Like trying to say which James Bond movie is better than the others.
I couldn't have said it better myself! I would say that Clear and Present Danger isn't as good as Patriot Games because I like the plot better.

Blade 2, The Dark Knight, The Empire Strikes Back, The Bourne Ultimatum, Aliens.

Aliens or T2

Yes I am really really bored
Definitely godfather II for me

Mad Max 2

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Empire Strikes Back, Dark Knight, Godfather Part 2, Bourne Supremacy, T2.

I couldn't have said it better myself! I would say that Clear and Present Danger isn't as good as Patriot Games because I like the plot better.

I know it's more of a prequel, but Sum of All Fears is a great Ryan movie too, might be my favorite

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.

There are many brilliant sequels around, but these are the ones I think really surpass the originals. I used to rank Toy Story 2 & 3 higher than the original, but these days I think that there is no better one and that they're all consistently excellent.

Spiderman 2.

This one is much better than the original, I think. In fact, just thinking about it makes me wanna go put it on! (oooh) Maybe it's cause of that Tobey Maguire picture and the fact that I have it on Blu-ray.

Scream 2

I like this movie more than the original Scream. I don't really think it's better than the first Scream, but it is definitely on par with that movie, while Scream 3 and Scream 4 are just inferior sequels that don't hold a candle to the first two. The first two Screams are like The Godfather films of horror, in my opinion.

Dunno about The Two Towers. I think that's actually the lesser film in the trilogy, although I'll concede that it has probably the most impressive battle scene. I think Return of the King makes a strong case to be better than The Fellowship of the Ring. I still favour the latter, but only just.
Have to disagree with you here. Fellowship is my fav followed very closely by Two Towers.

Return of the King however was a total disaster. The Battle of Pelinor fields was a joke, all the ghosts just turn up and wipe out the vastly superior Mordor army and save the hopelessly lame Gondor force. It was never like that in the book, it was an actual battle with Rohan, Minas Tirith and Aragorn's fleet coming from all sides to fight Sauron's army. The ghosts simply help Aragorn obtain his fleet.

They left Frodo and Sam too much to cover.

Gandalf was turned into a lame weakling in the face of the WitchKng, when in fact Gandalf is more like a demigod of immense power. Certainly an equal to the WitchKing.

There were no characters from Gondor that we could identify with or follow except Faramir(wounded early on) and Denethor locked away in his tower. All we have left are faceless nameless soldiers that we dont care about.

Watch Braveheart or Black Hawk Down and you will see what I mean. All the battle scenes follow the key 6 or so characters, particularly in Black Hawk Down. You always know which group you are watching. In Braveheart the battle is always going on around the characters that we know but it always sticks with the the main 5 or 6. In the battle of Pelinor fields all you get from Gondor are a bunch of nameless faceless soldiers.

Aragorn,Gimli and Legolas and on their own whereas in the book they are a hardcore band of warriors. A group of 40 or so Rangers/High Elves. I think it looks really stupid when 3 of them jump out of the boat halfway through the battle followed by all the Ghosts.

Basically I think They left themselves too much to squeeze in and left no time for proper character development, making major unessesary changes to a perfect story that took 15 years to write.

I think that as far as Comic Book/Superhero films go there is always potential for the sequel to be better. There is less need for character development second time around and the Director can simply focus on making a great story and not have to devote the first half of the film to the Hero's backround.

This is not always the case but you see it with

The Dark Knight
X Men 2
Spidey 2
Bourne Supremacy
Arguably Superman 2, however I prefer 1.

Other notable part 2s/sequels

Terminator 2- Probably the best part 2 as far as being better than the original goes. Termintor 1 is good but T2 is just perfect.

Aliens-different kind of film from 1 but slightly better.
Godfather 2-Again I slightly prefer 1 but many regard 2 as better.

Empire Strikes Back- My all time favourite film. The bad guys need to win more often imo.

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan..good call here Mikey. I confess to not being a fan of the original show when i saw this at the theatres originally (summer of 82'), so didn't know the back story (which once you see the star trek tv episode is rather brilliant).

If the internet was around then, It would have been commen knowledge, but in any event, it stands alone remarkably well.
+1

" He asks me......, He tasks me......, And I shall have him"

"From Hell's heart I stab at thee, For Hates sake I spit my last breath at thee!"

I would have to say The Wrath Of Kahn, The Voyage Home in the StarTrek Series and Aliens, Witchboard 2, and Fort Apache, its not exactly a sequil but it was a series of three John Wayne movies directed by John Ford that he made in 1948 to 1950. The first one was She Wore A Yellow Ribbon and the third was Rio Grande. All three were equally good.