Star Wars Episode 7: Storyline?

Tools    

We've gone on holiday by mistake
What storyline/route would you personally like to see the new Star Wars movies take?

Being a diehard Star Wars fan I am absolutely bloody thrilled that George Lucas is out of Star Wars, and that we are going to get a new batch of movies, and quickly too. They are already talking 2015 release date which seems too fast if they don't have a script/story laid out.

Personally I would like to see the series pick up a few years after ROTJ with the same characters(new actors), with some kind of new threat/enemy. After thinking about it for a while it would probably be best to forget all the books/comics storylines that are out there following ROTJ and come up with something new. Doing an adaptation of an existing book would bring with it some of the same old problems that came with the Prequels, namely knowing the outome.

The Revoultion has been won by the Rebel Alliance but who says that it has to end there, The Empire hasn't necessarily been defeated yet just because the top 2 guys and a big portion of the fleet/Death Star have been destroyed. Look at the Dark Knight, the mob is brought to it's knees by Batman/Dent/Gordon but things take a massive turn for the worst. The Galaxy could be in total chaos following the Empire's fall, who knows what threats lie in the outer reaches of Space. Luke would most likely have to go out looking to establish some kind of Jedi Order and out of that search could come some Powerful new Jedi/Sith Villain.

That is certainly would I think I would like to see. They could of course go hundreds/thousands of years into the past/future and start with a clean slate.

Whatever they do I hope to god they learn the lessons of the Prequels;

-Overuse of CGI
-Terrible Writing
-Jar Jar Binks type characters
-Bad Acting (Hayden Christensen)
-Boring Plot i.e. Trade Federation not wanting to pay taxes
-Bad Directing/Lucas couldn't be bothered anymore. Hire a quality Director!!!
-Kiddie theme despite the fact that Star Wars fans are mostly 25 years old+

I think there is a reasonable chance that we could get some more awesome Star Wars movies. Christopher Nolan is yet to announce his next project, could it be too much to hope for?

It would have to be a carry on from Episode 6 but rumours are that there's a brand new story in the works.

I'd like to see returning actors, especially Hamill as Luke returning to rebuild the Jedi Council... but of course, the remnants of the Empire try to throw a spanner in the works... there were also stories of Vader having a secret student/Sith learner... maybe he could make a show as well...

Taken from Empire Online:

With the internet already awash with Star Wars rumours and counter-rumours, and bloggers' blaster fingers already itching for some concrete Episode VII news, the job of separating truth from Lando-style vapour is well and truly on.

So what do we know? Well, one fascinating nugget that EW have picked up on is a top-secret meeting that took place between George Lucas, Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher. According to Hamill the idea of zipping on Luke Skywalker's flightsuit again, even in as ageing version of the Jedi, wasn't raised, but Lucas was already set on a new trilogy.

"Last August [George] asked Carrie and I to have lunch with him and we did. I thought he was going to talk about either his retirement or the Star Wars TV series that I’ve heard about - which I don’t think we were going to be involved in anyway, because that takes place between the prequels and the ones we were in and, if Luke were in them, he’d be anywhere from a toddler to a teenager so they’d get an age-appropriate actor — or the 3-D releases.

"So when he said, 'We decided we’re going to do Episodes VII, VIII, and IX,' I was just gobsmacked. 'What? Are you nuts?!'", remembers Hamill. "I guess he wanted us to know before everybody else knew. He said, 'Now you can't tell anybody!' Even now I’m nervous about saying anything. I just don’t know!"

According to Hamill, Lucas was "just talking about writers and the fact that he wouldn’t be directing" at that stage. With Kathleen Kennedy, Star Wars producer and the new Lucasfilm head at Disney, taking up the mantle, the suspicion is that a writer, and even director, are already locked and the story in place.

Taken from Total Film:

Even though the bombshell that saw Disney purchase Star Wars has still yet to fully sink in, talk has already turned to what we can expect from the new trilogy, with George Lucas biographer Dale Pollock having his say on where the story could be leading.

According to Pollock, Lucas’ original idea for the saga spanned twelve films, treatments for which he was allowed to read when researching his biography.

““It was originally a 12-part saga,” says Pollock. “The three most exciting stories were 7, 8 and 9. They had propulsive action, really interesting new worlds, new characters. I remember thinking, ‘I want to see these three movies.’”

Pollock also mentions that the next phase could see a return to action for Luke Skywalker, with the story following him through his thirties and forties. Pollock describes it as a welcome return to form after the disappointment of the prequels.

“I think they’re horrible,” he says of the second trilogy. “When he did the three prequels, he was in a Lucas vacuum. No one saw the scripts [in advance], they were dreadful screenplays. I thought they seemed dry. They were medieval in terms of court intrigue. And it was a weird way to start out the story.”

Naturally, there’s still plenty of scope for Disney to go off-road and write their own storyline, but according to Pollock, Lucas’ treatments will form the skeleton of the new trilogy.

“Writers will absolutely take his outline,” he says. “That’s in part what Disney bought.” Welcome back, Mr Skywalker… we’ve been expecting you!

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
This "originally was a 12 part saga" stuff is BS. They just say that to try and make it seem like they have a story when they don't.

I'm sure Lucas has one now, but don't say it was there from the beginning.

Ass.

Suspect's Reviews

True... it was like when he made "Star Wars" and it became a hit...

... he was like "Erm... there was always sequels and prequels and a Saga written from the very start, I just wanted to see if this one would be a hit or not first... etc etc etc etc etc"

Then he used excuses about remaking the originals with added scenes and CGI monsters etc... "This is what I always invisioned but technology wouldn't allow it"

Yeah, right George... sure.

I don't remember asking you a ******* thing!
At least Lucas won't have complete control like with the prequels. He'll only be a "creative consultant" while another director takes the reigns. I'm excited, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't dreadfully nervous. I didn't mind the prequels honestly (thought they were entertaining, and I don't care who tells me otherwise), but I do know they were incredibly weak compared to the original trilogy. I definitely want to see the Star Wars universe expand past the movies and into the territory of the novels, where things really get exciting.

At least Lucas won't have complete control like with the prequels. He'll only be a "creative consultant" while another director takes the reigns. I'm excited, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't dreadfully nervous. I didn't mind the prequels honestly (thought they were entertaining, and I don't care who tells me otherwise), but I do know they were incredibly weak compared to the original trilogy. I definitely want to see the Star Wars universe expand past the movies and into the territory of the novels, where things really get exciting.
I reckon The Prequels being so weak gives Disney a great starting point, I mean they simply can't do any worse, so expectation will not be at fever pitch like it was in 1999 with Phantom Menace.

I'm not sure what to make of all this but I'm excited. I do like the idea of Lucas being a consultant to the screen writers. Hopefully they can step up their game and make a much better product than the first two prequels.

News in is that not only are Hamill and Fisher interested in returning to their roles of Luke and Leia...

... but Harrison Ford has also expressed an interest too, even though back when Episode 6 was being written he tried to get Lucas to kill Han Solo.

Of course they do, all 3 want a nice fat pay day. Harrson Ford has made a string of flops for the last 15 years since Air Force One.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
News in is that not only are Hamill and Fisher interested in returning to their roles of Luke and Leia...

... but Harrison Ford has also expressed an interest too, even though back when Episode 6 was being written he tried to get Lucas to kill Han Solo.
Harrison Ford has stated he'd be up for it if they wrote him a good death scene. He still wants Han Solo to die. That much hasn't changed.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

If Harrison changed his name to Han Solo his movies of late might be twice as well recieved.
Shame he doesn't see the light and wants to kill the only thing he still has left going for him.

You've already killed Indiana Jones, don't kill Han as well, Harrison!!

Ok, a rumour on the wind is that after Episode VII, Disney are planning to make 2 or 3 Star Wars films, every year, for the foreseeable future...

... other news in sounds quite good though...Spielberg and JJ Abrams have been shortlisted as director of Ep VII...

Please not Spielberg it will be the same sort of trash as Indiana Jones 4.

Apparently Spielberg was under the thumb of Lucas with Jones 4... he hated the idea of aliens and it caused an argument between them both...

... eventually Lucas gave in apparently and said "Ok, we won't do aliens... we'll call them Interdimensional Beings instead"

Spielberg wasn't happy still, but didn't want to let Lucas down. Or miss his hoooohooohooooooj paycheck either.

If Abrams is hired it'll be awesome. JJ is one of the few directors who could do it, and do it well.

/\ True, I believe a younger director will definitely have more respect for the characters & universe.

& someone should tell Harrison Ford to do good movies for a change & stop relying on characters he played in the past. If the writers feel like they have a place for an Old Han Solo, they will. Every time they talk about a sequel to Indiana Jones & Star Wars, this guy comes out of the hiding demanding a role.

I don't know but I am happy Lucas is out of the picture for the most part. The Star Wars universe is great but at this point he just ruins it. It's better in other people's hands. I wouldn't even mind if they did an adaption of the Knights of the Old Republic series down the line.

I would love to see another great Star Wars movie and no matter what happens, this new trilogy couldn't be worse than the prequel trilogy.