The Transporter is Originally a Gay Character

Tools    

Victim of The Night
I realize this is a dead thread but id like to say for posterity. First of all for those saying the director was being political. He was speaking about subverting the heterosexual male gaze that is omnipresent in action movies, that is a cinema commentary. Also get over it, cinema is often inherently political
Secondly for those acting like hes trying to retcon the character, he directed the first movie as well, so that’s completely moot. Thirdly, for those saying it doesnt matter, then immediately commenting that there are practically no gay action heroes, thats the exact point the director was making, congratulations. Fourth, someone who is bisexual is often considered “gay” or “queer” (mostly due to homophobia) so his statement or his heterosexuality in the first film is not at all contradictory to this statement. Yall scrambling like d**n fools because its hard to process that an action protagonist is gay. That was literally the entire point. You bit the onion.
Meh. I didn't see anybody getting that worked up about it. Mostly people said it didn't fit the facts but they really didn't care. Not too many homophobes around here from what I've seen in my time on this forum.

Wooley said most of what I was going to.

Bond's defining characteristic is to do anything to accomplish his mission. Seducing men despite not being attracted to them would be completely in keeping with the character. I'd even go so far as to say it'd be out of character for him to refuse to.

I really liked that line from Skyfall, partially because of the reasoning above, but also because even if he's lying, it's exactly the kind of self-assured repartee he'd offer up anyway. There's a few ways to interpret it and all of them fit.

Wooley said most of what I was going to.

Bond's defining characteristic is to do anything to accomplish his mission. Seducing men despite not being attracted to them would be completely in keeping with the character. I'd even go so far as to say it'd be out of character for him to refuse to.

I really liked that line from Skyfall, partially because of the reasoning above, but also because even if he's lying, it's exactly the kind of self-assured repartee he'd offer up anyway. There's a few ways to interpret it and all of them fit.

I don't think you could do that scene again today, at least not as it was done in that film, as it would be put on blast for queerbaiting.

It's funny that Bond is a cold-blooded sociopathic killer who will use women as human shields and quip away while murdering with his PPK, but his sexuality is what is really touchy.

The truth is in here
2012 is really not that long ago, so I don't see how you couldn't do it today?

2022 still had a few somewhat edgy movies, which is of course due to filmmakers deciding to make them. As long as they choose themselves to include stuff like that, then something you could claim would not be done today is gonna be done anyway. Long-lasting stand-up comedians are also gonna say whatever the **** they feel like no matter which year it is. When would Chapelle, Gervais and Louis C.K. ever consider toning down their style for instance?

Saying something without criticism, maybe not. But not being able to say it at all, not really true.

When would Chappelle, Gervais and Louis C.K. ever consider toning down their style for instance?

Saying something without criticism, maybe not. But not being able to say it at all, not really true.
I think it’s different, though, because Chappelle and Co. have made it their brand, for better or worse, so this is in large part what people come to see. Films which would have been about something else entirely but include something like unintentional ‘queer-baiting’ or espouse a broadly right-wing perspective on, well, anything, are just harder to make and put out there - part of the reason that I feel that way is because we really don’t see many of them, and those that do anything even remotely controversial can get their release pulled - see The Hunt, Lady of Heaven. Louis C. K. had I Love You, Daddy’s release pulled, too.

There are more examples, and while naturally no one can prevent anyone from seeing these films if they so choose, their reach is severely limited, so it’s less about Louis C.K. and the rest choosing to tone something down and more about them being put in a position where they cave in to pressure or don’t. I don’t think that’s healthy.

The truth is in here
Fair enough about the pulled releases. Though I Love You, Daddy probably would've been released if not for the scandal involving C.K. at the time. Super Size-Me 2: Holy Chicken! got pulled originally too due to Morgan Spurlock confessing to rape, but eventually got released a few years later anyway.

We're basically one reply away from this completely leaving the original topic, so let's try to drag it back to that if we can.
Fine.

If the Transporter is gay, does this sequence become highly allegorical?

And are we really looking at a speedometer here, or is that an easter egg and it's really the Transporter's own Kinsey scale? (200?! The scale is only supposed to go up to 6!)

The trick is not minding
All this talk about The Transporter Frank Martin possibly being gay, but none about the possibility that Benoit Blanc may be gay in the Knives Out series.

That maybe a more interesting topic.

All this talk about The Transporter Frank Martin possibly being gay, but none about the possibility that Benoit Blanc may be gay in the Knives Out series.

Possibility?!

I think that was as explicitly addressed as needed in the second installment, though, via the great HG.

The trick is not minding
Haha. I don’t want to assume he is based on his scenes until it’s confirmed. There is plenty to suggest he is, however.
Unless it’s already been addressed and I missed it, which is possible.

The trick is not minding
I think that was as explicitly addressed as needed in the second installment, though, via the great HG.
I figured, but I also don’t want to presume two guys living together means they’re automatically gay.

The trick is not minding
God, I don’t know. It’s not so much that as the way the dialogue came off.
Yeah, the dialogue, the clothes, their way of addressing each other. It points towards that conclusion.

I looked it up and yeah, Johnson confirmed it in an interview.

God, I don’t know. It’s not so much that as the way the dialogue came off.
"Are you in the bathtub again?" LOL.

I always like it when detectives have significant others, be it on screen or off (a la Mrs Columbo). It gives a great way to ground their humanity.

"Are you in the bathtub again?" LOL.

I always like it when detectives have significant others, be it on screen or off (a la Mrs Columbo). It gives a great way to ground their humanity.
Agreed. I loved that bit.