Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The Transporter is Originally a Gay Character (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=17943)

Vertical Gunn 12-02-08 08:11 AM

The Transporter is Originally a Gay Character

http://worstpreviews.com/images/head...dline10219.jpg

Frank Martin, the character played by Jason Statham in the three "Transporter" film is very much a tough guy, and according to director Louis Leterrier (Transporter 2), is also gay.

"If you watch the movie and you know he's gay, it becomes so much more fun," Leterrier said of the second installment. "It's so great -- the first gay action movie hero!"

He continued: "Action fans in general are pretty homophobic. You see these tough guys who say, 'The Transporter, that's such a great movie!' If they only knew they're really cheering for a new kind of action hero."

Leterrier even mentions a scene in "Transporter 2" in which a drug czar's wife (Amber Valletta) makes romantic overtures toward Frank Martin, who rejects her advances by saying "It's because of who I am." Leterrier says: "That's him coming out!"

The third installment, directed by Olivier Megaton, has Frank Martin as a straight guy since even in the trailer Statham is shown making out with co-star Natalya Rudakova.

Do you care whether Frank Martin is gay?

Source:
http://worstpreviews.com/headline.php?id=11054&count=0

Iroquois 12-02-08 08:33 AM

Re: The Transporter is Originally a Gay Character

In short, no. It seems rather ridiculous for the maker of the sequel to claim the character is gay, seeing as (according to IMDb, anyway) he has nothing to do with the creation of the character as he was in the original, so he should not have any say in it.

As for the whole "rejecting a hot chick" thing - I'm reminded of similar claims being made about 47 in the Hitman movie, purely because he rebuffs the girl as well. It's not about homosexuality - 47 was trained to be a hitman all his life and nothing more. His lack of apparent sexual interest in women is not closeted homosexuality, but rather a byproduct on his training to be nothing more than a killing machine with no weaknesses whatsoever (including in this case, sexual desire). I figure a similar claim could be made about Frank Martin - his job is his priority in life. Since when did turning down women automatically make a man gay?

Methinks the director's reading a bit too much into this. I wonder why...

n3wt 12-02-08 08:49 AM

I think it is pointless to make claims about a charectors sexuallity, after all it doesnt really add anything to the way you see the film. IMO it is something they have said to make you want to watch the 3rd film, it is all advertising at the end of the day.

It was just the same when JKR said that Dumbledore was gay and there was all this publisity about it, personally I think it is a waste of time saying stupid comments like that.

adidasss 12-02-08 08:56 AM

Well, as Iroquis pointed out, the difference between Rowling "outing" Dumbledore is that she actually created the character and can make him into whatever she wants. Leterrier on the other hand has much less credibility in that respect.

I love how the writer doesn't seem to be aware of bisexuality though..."he's making out with a girl so he must be straight!" :laugh: :rolleyes:

Iroquois 12-02-08 09:02 AM

Since when has anyone ever cared about bisexuality?

Justin 12-02-08 10:40 AM

okay?

Yoda 12-02-08 11:42 AM

Er, Frank Martin had sex with a woman in the The Transporter, so I dunno what this guy's talking about. As Adi points out, he didn't create the character, so this is just a ploy for publicity, to my mind.

That said, Dumbledore's outing informed some of the things we knew about the character. Frank Martin being gay, apart from it not fitting all that well with the events of the first film, doesn't really make him any more interesting.

Iroquois 12-02-08 11:44 AM

Now that I think about it, are there any real explicitly gay action heroes in existence?

The closest I get is Val Kilmer's Perry in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, and he's not so much an action hero as a hardboiled detective.

Sedai 12-02-08 11:56 AM

"Don't quit your gay job" - Harry Lockhart

I loved Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang. I watched it a couple of times in two days time when I had it at my house.

RE: Transporter II - Some hack director attempting to inject his politic into someone else's work. Horseshit.

And no, I don't care.

Sir Toose 12-02-08 12:23 PM

In this case I don't think it really matters as it doesn't add or subtract to the character as others have said.

That said, an action movie with a gay lead would be an interesting proposition I think. Personally, it probably wouldn't make a difference to me but I'd sure love to watch others freak out over it :)

adidasss 12-02-08 12:37 PM

Hah...let's face it, that's not likely to happen in the near future. These types of flicks have a "specific" audience...I can't imagine many Crank fans rushing to the cinema to see their hero making out with another dude...:nope: A bisexual Lara Croft on the other hand...http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/c...ower/think.gif

Swedish Chef 12-02-08 12:42 PM

"I shot him with a small gun I keep near my balls"

n3wt 12-02-08 01:55 PM

Yeah as Yoda said there Frank DID have sex with a woman so this thread is daft. As I said earlier its all about the publisitity before the film to get more revenue.

adidasss 12-02-08 02:03 PM

So what you're saying is if I have sex with a woman I'm gonna be straight?! *is off to find himself a woman*

Btw, it's not a publicity stunt, the guy who said it isn't directing the 3rd film, he said it years ago and has since toned down his "opinion". Not to mention that such a claim would have an obvious adverse effect on the target audience.

Yoda 12-02-08 02:23 PM

The ploy for publicity can be for the man himself, and not the film, since (as you mention) he's not directing it. But yeah, perhaps publicity isn't the point; he may just be babbling on about an idea he thinks is kind of interesting and fancies himself some sort of pioneer, even if it doesn't fit the continuity of the character.

rufnek 12-02-08 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Vertical Gunn (Post 479826)
No, but then I don't know who Frank Martin is, having never seen those films.

As for the implication that homosexuals can't play tough guys, I used to cover the police beat in in a Texas port where one of the longshore"men" was a rather squatty, muscular, masculine-looking woman (looked something like Charles Bronson) who frequently was booked in the city jail for fighting. Her "significant other" (back then we just said girlfriend) was a good-looking blonde who worked as a waitress in a waterfront bar and the other woman usually would hang out in that bar until closing. Incoming sailors not familar with the situation frequently came into the bar and tried to hit on the blonde, which often resulted in the longshorewoman kicking their butts--sometimes taking on more than one at a time. Usually the sailors got the worse of the fight, cause she was one tough person.

Sexy Celebrity 12-02-08 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Vertical Gunn
Yes, because Jason Statham is hot and I wanna see him in a gay sex scene.

rufnek 12-02-08 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by adidasss (Post 479880)
Hah...let's face it, that's not likely to happen in the near future. These types of flicks have a "specific" audience...I can't imagine many Crank fans rushing to the cinema to see their hero making out with another dude...:nope: A bisexual Lara Croft on the other hand...http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/c...ower/think.gif
Well, there have been tough guys portrayed as homosexuals. One obvious one is Edward Fox playing the title role in the original The Jackal. He sleeps with and kills one woman, then sleeps with and kills a man he meets in a steam room. Of course, he's hiding out at the time, manuvering to commit a murder that will pay him millions. So I always sorta suspected he may have been more opportunistic than bisexual.

In The Man With the Golden Gun Ian Fleming has a scene in his book where M tells Bond that the bad guy may be gay because he can't whistle! (A rather odd qualification for homosexuality!) I think that scene may have made it to the movie screen, despite Hollywood's sexual taboos back in the 1960s, because I seem to remember Connery as Bond puckering his lips as about to whistle as he leaves M's office and then deciding with a smile not to try.

I don't know why, but I've always thought of the blond assassin in From Russia With Love as being homosexual--or maybe just asexual.

How about Rod Steiger in No Way to Treat a Lady? Is he gay or just a really distrurbed person with a mother fetish?

Lucifer Prometheus 12-02-08 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by n3wt (Post 479900)
Yeah as Yoda said there Frank DID have sex with a woman so this thread is daft.
Plenty of gay men have- many have had wives and children.

I know nothing and care even less about these movies. However there is at least a 10% percent chance that this character is some kind of homosexual:p

Julia.P 12-03-08 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 479912)
Yes, because Jason Statham is hot and I wanna see him in a gay sex scene.

I don't care about that. But I think he won't do this now because he is hot. Maybe some day he will. You can expect. :)