Things that Impress or Please you, or make you Happy...

Tools    

This thread is kind of a counter thread to the "Things that annoy you..." thread (which, btw, is one of my favorite threads here)!

I just thought for the new year we could use a thread that deals with the things that compensate for life's annoyances and help us remember those things or situations we are grateful for.

First up, I'll offer a little website called "movieforums.com"

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
In a word, ART.

In a few more words:

Music:

Impresses:

Ensemble vocal européen / Philippe Herreweghe - Come falda di neve from Lagrime di San Pietro (1994), composed by Roland de Lassus

Pleases:

Junko Yagami - MISS D.J. from Communication (1985)

Makes me happy:

Noriko Sakai - Guanbare (1988) (Single)

Film:

Impresses:

Hiroshi Teshigahara - Woman in the Dunes (1964)

Pleases:

John Woo - Once a Thief (1991)

Makes me happy:

Raoul Walsh - The Strawberry Blonde (1941)

Painting:

Impresses:

Fra Angelico - Coronation of the Virgin

Pleases:

Edward Hopper - Nighthawks

Makes me happy:

Matsuura Shiori - Hot Days

Literature:

Impresses:

Fyodor Dostoevsky - The Brothers Karamazov

“Above all, don't lie to yourself. The man who lies to himself and listens to his own lie comes to a point that he cannot distinguish the truth within him, or around him, and so loses all respect for himself and for others. And having no respect he ceases to love.”
Pleases:

Yukio Mishima - Patriotism

“At his leisure, the lieutenant allowed the unforgettable spectacle to engrave itself upon his mind. With one hand he fondled the hair, with the other he softly stroked the magnificent face, implanting kisses here and there where his eyes lingered. The quiet coldness of the high, tapering forehead, the closed eyes with their long lashes beneath faintly etched brows, the set of the finely shaped nose, the gleam of teeth glimpsed between full, regular lips, the soft cheeks and the small, wise chin…”
Makes me happy:

Jun'ichirō Tanizaki - The Key

“After looking at myself in the mirror, I looked at Satsuko. I could not believe that we were creatures of the same species. The uglier the face in the mirror, the more extraordinarily beautiful Satsuko seemed. If that ugly face were only uglier, I thought regretfully, Satsuko would look even more beautiful.”
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Nothing feels better than when a meeting gets cancelled. My reaction every time a cancellation pops up on Outlook:

Percentage-wise, it is 100% easier not to do things than to do them. And so much fun not to do them, especially when you are supposed to do them. In terms of, like, instant relief, cancelling plans is like heroin. It is an amazing feeling. Such instant joy.--John Mulaney

Things that always make happy.
1) Smell of the moist soil after the monsoon season's first rainfall.

2) Understated warm sound of a nice Cedar top, classical guitar.

3) Sitting on the beach behind my ancestral home at nights, & listening to the waves lashing. Even better if the moon is out & it partially lits up the sea.

4) The song 'O Sajana Barkha Bahar Aayi' from the movie Parakh.

5) Running into my first crush (has happened only once in the past decade) or looking at her pictures when I clean the cupboard & find photo albums from school & college days.

6) My mum making any of my favourite dishes.

7) Eating ice cream at midnight.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
It almost seems like he was preparing for this thread before it even existed!
Nah, just cooked up some stuff on the fly.

I’m grateful for my excellent health. Which, according to my internist, is 99% due to the fact that I walk for 2 hours every day. I don’t take good health for granted, that’s for sure.

One in 8 American women has breast cancer. I’ve managed to dodge that bullet, which is something else I’m grateful for.

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…
When I get in somebody’s car and it’s not a trashcan.

Meeting up with a friend you've not managed to see in about a year.
Hmmm, if I haven’t seen that person for a year, there must be a reason.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again

A handmade pan ExtravaganZZa from Domino's Pizza always makes me happy.

Because of YOU!!!!!
Because of you, i now order this.

I was almost involved in a 3 way collision in the supermarket this morning involving me, another man and a woman, we all stumbled around each other awkwardly and said "sorry, sorry, sorry" in quick succession.

Things that Impress or Please you, or make you Happy...

People that are honest, genuine, and overall friendly.

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
Because of YOU!!!!!
Because of you, i now order this.

I order this once a month with an order of cinnamon twists - with an extra icing cup. I'm ordering tonight.