Spartacus or Gladiator?

Tools    

Spartacus or Gladiator which one was better for you?
43.08%
28 votes
Spartacus
56.92%
37 votes
Gladiator
65 votes. You may not vote on this poll

If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
"Are you not entertained?!"

My vote goes to "Gladiator"

"My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next."

When Russel Crowe spoke that, I imagined standing in that arena and telling Cezar and everybody else to just bring it! Although Spartacus had a better story line, the sheer intensity of Gladiator outweighed it.

Spartacus is a good movie but I think Gladiator is much better but I am biased as I sometimes find older movie dated despite the script is great. Besides that I absolutely love the music in Gladiator. Really makes me "feel" the movie and not just watch it.

Gladiator is better. The writing, acting, overall visual of the movie. It's better in every way.

Yes, I am entertained.

I will say that Laurence Olivier was outstanding in Spartacus. He had some great lines.

"Great, merciful, bloodstained gods! Your pardon. I always address heaven in moments of triumph."

"Sulla? To the infamy of his name! To the utter damnation of his line!"

spartacus is a very good movie, but gladiator climbs my personal favorites list with each additional viewing. so its gladiator

Spartacus is better, and for me, it's not close.

Gladiator's one of the most overrated films in cinematic history.

But I'd take El Cid over both, which to me is the most underrated epic.

I'm all about Ben-Hur.

I've never been that keen on Spartacus and I don't think I've even seen it all the way through. For sheer enjoyment of a good film I'm going with Gladiator.

I love Oliver Reed's performance
Oliver Reed was great in it. There was a documentary about him recently in the UK and they showed the clip of him doing the dialogue about the sound of the crowd in the Colosseum. I like the bit where he says "it rises up like…[he begins to mouth "th" as in thunder]…like…like a storm. As if you were the thunder god himself". Quality acting – he's probably an extremely underrated actor to this day. I loved him in the Musketeers films and he might as well have been a Python in The Adventures of Baron Munchausen. He was so on the money.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
My sibs and I loved it as kids but now, Gladiator.

Tought choice. I loved Spartacus as a kid. Now? Kinda loved Gladiator. Going to maaaaybe have to go with Gladiator. But Jean Simmons.....

She was my favourite part of Spartacus. Sooooo beautiful.... it's hard to vote against her. So I won't vote. It's tied.

I'm more of a Connie Nielsen man. What was it Ridley Scott said? "She can be my empress anytime" .

I'm all about Ben-Hur.

I've never been that keen on Spartacus and I don't think I've even seen it all the way through. For sheer enjoyment of a good film I'm going with Gladiator.

Oliver Reed was great in it. There was a documentary about him recently in the UK and they showed the clip of him doing the dialogue about the sound of the crowd in the Colosseum. I like the bit where he says "it rises up like…[he begins to mouth "th" as in thunder]…like…like a storm. As if you were the thunder god himself". Quality acting – he's probably an extremely underrated actor to this day. I loved him in the Musketeers films and he might as well have been a Python in The Adventures of Baron Munchausen. He was so on the money.
I prefer Spatacus to Ben Hur, but Ben Hur is better than Gladiator.

I'm more of a Connie Nielsen man. What was it Ridley Scott said? "She can be my empress anytime" .
She's hot, sure. But Jean Simmons had an inherent sadness in her face that nobody could out-do. And I never see her mnetioned. I SHOULD put her in the female beauty we appreciate, but I've left that thread for a while.

I prefer Spatacus to Ben Hur, but Ben Hur is better than Gladiator.
Yeah I would say so to. Plus it's always funny to see Welshman Hugh Griffith playing an arab.

gladiator of ridley scott is one of the best ancient times movies i ve ever seen if not the best, russel crow and joaquin pheonix are on top of their game here, loved every bit of the film and in the end i bet that everyone had tears in their eyes with ending scene with that sublime hans zimmer score, a classic film

She's hot, sure. But Jean Simmons had an inherent sadness in her face that nobody could out-do.
Yes I know what you mean.

And I never see her mnetioned.
Maybe it's that some of her characters can be hard to like? Estella in Great Expectations for example. I've just noticed that she was in Star Trek: The Next Generation actually – quite a villainous character there from memory. The Robe's a good film as well.

I SHOULD put her in the female beauty we appreciate, but I've left that thread for a while.
You should. I hope we didn't put you off .

gladiator of ridley scott is one of the best ancient times movies i ve ever seen if not the best, russel crow and joaquin pheonix are on top of their game here, loved every bit of the film and in the end i bet that everyone had tears in their eyes with ending scene with that sublime hans zimmer score, a classic film
It was a very good story to my mind. I would rather they didn't do the proposed sequel.