Music in Film: Favorite scores, songs, soundtracks, and scenes

Tools    

From Mauvais Sang.
David Bowie: Modern Love

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Heinlein

I know this has probably been posted already but I love this scene of the movie!
it's pretty good, but Mulholland Drive's soundtrack is far superior

Finished here. It's been fun.
Mulholland Dr. is such an amazing film. I love it.This scene in particular is amazing.

The amazing sounds of Blade Runner are beautiful as well. Hypnotizing.

Oh Jesus, I'm really doing this. There's too many. Alright... some of my favourite soundtracks/snippets/moments:

Steppenwolf's "Born to Be Wild" and Dennis Hopper & Peter Fonda on those iconic bikes in the opening credit sequence of Easy Rider:

"Good Morning" from Singin' in the Rain, plus most of the rest of that soundtrack:

Pretty much all of Yann Tiersen's gorgeous score for Amélie. "Comptine d'un autre été, l'après midi" ("Rhyme of Another Summer Afternoon", according to Google Translate) is a standout:

Lawrence of Arabia Overture by Maurice Jarre. So stirring:

The Cat Stevens soundtrack is a big part of why I fell in love with Harold and Maude:

&list=PL5D331EFF1CCD0833

Marty's rendition of "Johnny B. Goode" in Back to the Future:

I've probably over-saturated you with videos so I'll just list from here. No particular order:
  • John Williams.
  • Howard Shore's Lord of the Rings score. All of it.
  • Alan Silvestri's Back to the Future score(s), and of course Huey Lewis and the News in the same film, plus "Hip to Be Square" in American Psycho
  • Satie's "Gymnopedie No. 1" in My Dinner with Andre
  • The Once soundtrack, particularly "Falling Slowly" and "When Your Mind's Made Up"
  • Basically all of Tarantino's movies have great use of music - Kill Bill and Inglourious Basterds especially
  • "You Make My Dreams" by Hall & Oates in 500 Days of Summer
  • Bruce Springsteen's "Streets of Philadelphia" for Philiadelphia
  • The concert finale of School of Rock
  • Simon and Garfunkel in The Graduate
  • "Mad World" (Gary Jules, originally Tears For Fears) , "Head Over Heels" (Tears For Fears) and "The Killing Moon" (Echo and the Bunnymen) in Donnie Darko
  • Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue" from Manhattan
  • "Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometimes" by Beck in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
  • "Ooh La La" by Faces in Rushmore
  • "Adagio in D Minor" in Sunshine
  • Music from The Artist
  • "Speak Softly Love" from The Godfather
  • The Chicago soundtrack is a guilty pleasure
  • O Brother, Where Art Thou? - "I Am a Man of Constant Sorrow" and "Down to the River to Pray" (Alison Krauss)
  • "Laurens Walking" by Angelo Badalamenti for The Straight Story
  • Picnic at Hanging Rock theme by Jorge Rico
  • "Don't You (Forget About Me)" - Simple Minds (used so memorably in The Breakfast Club)
  • Barber's "Adagio for Strings" in Platoon
  • Bach's "Cello Solo No. 1" in Master and Commander
  • Magnolia - Aimee Mann's "Save Me" (you know the scene) and "Wise Up"; Gabrielle's "Dreams"
  • "Si Tu Vois Ma Mere" by Sidney Bechet in Midnight in Paris
  • "As Time Goes By" (Casablanca)
  • Thomas Newman's haunting American Beauty score
  • DeVotchKa's "How It Ends" from Little Miss Sunshine
  • Elmer Bernstein's title track/score for Sweet Smell of Success
  • "Harry Lime Theme" from The Third Man
  • Ennio Morricone's Once Upon a Time in the West score
  • Fred Neil's "Everybody's Talkin'" from Midnight Cowboy. Love the title track from that film too
  • "Colonel Bogey March" (The Bridge on the River Kwai)
  • Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyries" in Apocalypse Now
  • "That Thing You Do" by the fictional The Wonders for the Tom Hanks film of the same name is another guilty pleasure
  • "I Got Rhythm" from An American in Paris
  • Kubrick's inspired use of Shostakovich's "Jazz Suite, Waltz No. 2" in Eyes Wide Shut
  • Elton John's "Tiny Dancer" and basically all of the Almost Famous soundtrack
  • Bernard Herrmann's work with Hitchcock; with Scorsese on Taxi Driver
  • "For What It's Worth" by Buffalo Springfield (Forrest Gump)
  • Music by Monster, Moneybrother and The Ark in Super
  • Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross' music for The Social Network and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
  • The Gone with the Wind, Brokeback Mountain, Pirates of the Caribbean and Edward Scissorhands title tracks/scores
  • "Somewhere Out There" by Barry Mann - from An American Tail but I love it mostly because of the Community connection
  • Oh God, I almost posted before realising I forgot Disney/Pixar. Music from The Lion King, Mulan, Monsters, Inc., Toy Story, Brother Bear, Tarzan, The Jungle Book, Lilo and Stitch, Finding Nemo and most recently The Muppets stand out to me, for various reasons
  • JOHN MOTHAF**KIN' WILLIAMS

And a whole bunch more. I really love movie music, you guys.

What Skepsis93 wrote, plus off the top of my head -

Zulu - Men of Harlech

Is my Welsh heritage showing?

I think Woody Allen deserves mention here...Woody's taste in music is pretty much flawless and he is an expert for picking the right music for the right scene...every bit of music in HANNAH AND HER SISTERS and MANHATTAN is perfection.

I forgot that Danny Boyle structured the film based off of GY!BE's album, F♯A♯∞, as well, which is awesome. He was able to use a heavily edited version of the track East Hastings, but couldn't get rights to put the actual track on the soundtrack.
I didn't know this, that's awesome!

Drive's got a few mentions here, but seeing as it just came on randomly on y tablet, it gets another vote. Perfect.

Love the Dust Brothers soundtrack for Fight Club, great fun as well.

but now you have my attention
Batman begins/Dark Knight/Dark Knight Rises - Hans Zimmer, gets me pumped.

Afro Samurai Soundtrack as well

Just an FYI for the UK posters, part two of Sound Of Cinema: The Music That Made The Movies is on BBC4 on Thursday at 9pm. If you missed part 1, then The Big Score can be found on iPlayer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...The_Big_Score/

Such a great soundtrack for an alright film. John Powell did a great job.
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
For me its easy.

Star Wars
Superman
Indiana Jones

In that order