The Videogames Tab

Tools    

there's a frog in my snake oil
Wow, snagged the freebie Bioshock Infinite download on 360 and it looks stunning, considering the aged tech. Obviously it's often in trammeled linear settings, but even the open floating cityscapes look great. I'd imagine it's locked at 30fps, and the action does feel a bit stodgy perhaps, but still, pretty impressive

Pretty new SpyParty map:
Pretty...PRETTY BROKEN.

But seriously, once the delegation tell on toby gets fixed I think that's gonna be a pretty interesting map. Maybe my favorite new art map (never liked Modern, iffy on Highrise). But it's also just a different map. We really need those next 5 characters so we can get a nice solid medium sized map.

RE: The Forest
I too bought that during some sale a while back, and I wasn't too crazy on the survival parts, but it was actually the first survival game in a long time to get me tense in PVE. I love DayZ to death (I had more fun with the mod, but the standalone is getting there), but the PVE is pretty tame. It also helps that I'm a total chicken, I could hardly get through Amnesia.

Pretty...PRETTY BROKEN.

But seriously, once the delegation tell on toby gets fixed I think that's gonna be a pretty interesting map. Maybe my favorite new art map (never liked Modern, iffy on Highrise). But it's also just a different map. We really need those next 5 characters so we can get a nice solid medium sized map.
Yeah, I think the lack of new art cast has stopped me from really liking any of the new maps. They all feel small. Really looking forward to getting a big, expansive level like Panopticon or Veranda in the new art.

RE: The Forest
I too bought that during some sale a while back, and I wasn't too crazy on the survival parts, but it was actually the first survival game in a long time to get me tense in PVE. I love DayZ to death (I had more fun with the mod, but the standalone is getting there), but the PVE is pretty tame. It also helps that I'm a total chicken, I could hardly get through Amnesia.
Hah yeah, I'm a total wuss in horror environments, and found scouting round the island an enjoyable flavour of tense. The combat is pretty flappy, but the mutant behaviours and hunter-becoming-the-hunted switcharounds can be cool.

The People's Republic of Clogher
I sure don't mind (we all share our videos here from time to time). Probably best to wait until a few are up, though, so you can embed them in here!
Indeed.

My 'Skyrim at 120Hz' video has sailed past 500 views. Totalbiscuit is quaking in his (expensive) shoes.

Still head over heels with Pillars of Eternity but have decided to finish my final playthrough (for a few years anyway) of Witcher 2. Hard difficulty is a bit of a pain but it's the only way to unlock the top tier of armour and weapons.

Good things come to those who wait (for a sale).

I'd had my eye on Qvadriga since its release but there was no way I was going to stump up Ł15 for it. Slitherine games are notorious for the rarity with which they go on sale, too, so when I saw it at 50% off I jumped.

It's hella fun. Hera fun, even, if I were to mix my Classical empires.

You're the boss of a chariot racing team and that's about it. Races are played out in a top-down semi turn based fashion and your team management is pretty rudimentary. Vidi:

It might not look like much but Qvadriga is an excellent little strategy game. I started the campaign with three doughty charioteers - Alan, Derek and Ken - and three races in I've had one third place, crashed out of another and lost old Ken to a bad attack of the death in the third. My winnings will stretch to a new chariot but not a new pilot.

Derek's carrying a few knocks so everything's riding on the broad shoulders of Alan. Forza!

Alan won!

The chariot disintegrated 50 yds before the line but the horses dragged him across the finish line in first. He now misses the race through injury but it looks like Derek's fit and raring to go.

Much more exciting than actual horse racing.

A system of cells interlinked
Wow, snagged the freebie Bioshock Infinite download on 360 and it looks stunning, considering the aged tech. Obviously it's often in trammeled linear settings, but even the open floating cityscapes look great. I'd imagine it's locked at 30fps, and the action does feel a bit stodgy perhaps, but still, pretty impressive
After I saw this post I fired up the console and downloaded this. it DOES look great for a 360 game. So far, it's been an on-rails affair, but I have only played for perhaps 45 minutes or so. I will jump through the hoops until i don't feel like jumping anymore.

Gorgeous aesthetic but I don't particularly like the combat in Bioshock Infinite. It's hard to put my finger on, whether it's the movement or the feel of the shooting, but I got about a third of the way through and stopped playing.

That said, I'd love an RPG or even a more open and mechanically tight shooter set in that world.

Young Skywalker. Missed you, I have...
Picked up Army of 2: Devils Cartel. Not a horrible game, but it isn't that great either. Beat it twice already, doesn't take long. It's fairly good for what it is. Now, since I got a new controller, I have been playing Need For Speed: Most Wanted. Good game, a little repetitive though. Ordered Need For Speed: The Run, supposed to be here tomorrow....has been stuck in sorting facility hell for over a week though and as of this morning was still in Kentucky. We shall see. Created a new gamer profile so I have to play through all my games again to get the rewards that I had before. LOL!

After I saw this post I fired up the console and downloaded this. it DOES look great for a 360 game. So far, it's been an on-rails affair, but I have only played for perhaps 45 minutes or so. I will jump through the hoops until i don't feel like jumping anymore.
Gorgeous aesthetic but I don't particularly like the combat in Bioshock Infinite. It's hard to put my finger on, whether it's the movement or the feel of the shooting, but I got about a third of the way through and stopped playing.

That said, I'd love an RPG or even a more open and mechanically tight shooter set in that world.
*edited* Yeah, I'm about the same in Seds. And yeah the combat has felt clunky since it kicked off for sure Tatty. Don't know how far I'll get with it all told. I do like the way they've layered in cryptic conversations about what the hell is going on though. Especially the couple who drop you off on the boat. Gives you decent motivation to pay attention to everything in the environment.

Reckon I'm gonna find the girl in the tower, spend some time with her, and try out this skyhook business, then see if it feels worth powering on through.

---

I've still got a laundry list of things I want to try in The Forest in the meantime. It's got a teasing way of letting you know you've half-crafted something, but leaving you to experiment to finish it. I'm pretty sure I need deer skin to make a water pouch, but I want to kill them with a bow, which I can't fully test until I've figured out how to make a paintbrush for the target board.... (Sod it, I reckon I'll just test it on the deer).

I've also got a moral quandary, in that my neighbouring mutants are the diminutive kind, who either don't know I'm here, or are leaving me well alone. I can keep watching them leave every morning, and then steal their berries... or... I could kill them for their teeth and really improve my weapon. Hmm....

Also I need to kill a tortoise

A system of cells interlinked
I was having fun with it during the time I did play. I'm a System Shock II fan, which has super clunky combat when compared to today's games, so I think i can blast through if the story is compelling enough. Time will tell!

This looks like it's gonna be a great game:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/...e-sega-genesis

I was having fun with it during the time I did play. I'm a System Shock II fan, which has super clunky combat when compared to today's games, so I think i can blast through if the story is compelling enough. Time will tell!
If SS2 was released like that in 2013 I'd have different thoughts though.

It's never too late for an update...

This is a class li'l idea... ...

It's never too late for an update...

This is a class li'l idea... ...

It'll need to go some to beat DX+ Champ Edition. One of the best arcade games ever made, I think.