Movies you think are dated

Tools    

Mig
There's some confusion about the term "dated", so I'll clarify my own use of it and how I see it as relevant in the context of this overall discussion.

A movie can be dated to various degrees I suppose, but to me a badly dated movie, is one where what was once its strength has become its weakness, or perhaps just less spectacular.

Films work on various levels, so if it's a movie relying purely on its controversial impact, then with cultural changes it may turn out very dated, as the controversial content which once made it so special has become mundane to modern culture.

Or perhaps its a film relying greatly on its special effects.
What was once a spectacular sci-fi movie, and still deserves a lot of credit for being what it was, may no longer be worth the watch these days.

The more there is to a movie, the lesser the chance that it will become dated, on the other hand I guess you could say, the more there is to a movie, the greater the chance that it will inspire future movies and thus turn into somewhat of a dated cliché.

I think there is an important distinction to be made between films which were fantastic and the films which are! Which isn't to say that one can't be both, I think there are many examples of older movies which hold up or surpass today's standards, but this doesn't have to be the case, and too often I think critics forget to note this distinction in all of their praise.

I think Starwars is interesting to bring into this discussion.
I love the first three (the ones made first, damn you George Lucas for making things so confusing!), are they dated?
I'd say, somewhat yes.

These were a huge phenomena back in the day, or a huger phenomena, I suppose I should say. They were so inventive with the various creatures and special effects, but these days technology has allowed for even better special effects (though the original movies were really pushing the limits and aren't as dated as most old sci-fi in my opinion) and many of the creatures have served as inspirations for similar TV/film creatures, I'm guessing The Care Bears for one were inspired by Starwars...

Still its universal themes, the plot, pacing, scoring, chemistry between the actors, factor in and to this day I think the first three remain pretty special.

Starwars relied on a lot more than its special effects, or even the imaginative designs, hence why I'll only consider it somewhat dated.

The next three or however many there are at this point, based on what I've gone to see and haven't slept through (yeah), were boring sterile sci-fi which only made me question Lucas understanding of what made his first three the franchise he's made of them.

While less dated I suppose than the original three, I feel pretty sure that with time they will date far worse, they seem largely an exhibition of special effects, as our technology advances further, you'll be left with a lot of time spend on less than thrilling special effects, I guess there's a lot of politics in them too, but I'd rather concern my self with those of the real world as opposed to Lucas' fantasy one.

Movies you think are dated?

I do not understand the question.

Wait. Most anything made after 1990 is not worth my time.
My best answer.

I just tried to watch this one - Death Rides a Horse , the dvd transfer is the worst I've ever seen - I'd say it's on the tip of being unwatchable.
Hard to watch, but worth it. This movie never was of a high production quality. It's worth is in it's story devices.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I do not understand the question.
It's actually pretty simple. Movies you think were fine and dandy when they were originally released, but have not withstood the test of time (ie., effects are cheesy) very well.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Independence Day, i remember when it first came out everyone was raving about the special effects, but know when you watch it you can tell most building are just mock ups.

The Incredible Hulk (2008)
Star Trek 2009
Transformers
Armageddon
Pirates of the Caribbean II and III
Clerks
Spider Man I, II, III
Independence Day

All of these made tons of money.
They are all garbage. None of them will be around in thirty or forty years. They are junk movies.

FX dependant or dilog constrained (Clerks). The writing sucks and cannot save them.

These are dated .. to right now.

The Seven Samurai is TIMELESS. It is a masterpiece of film making -- start to end.

"but you don't compare a Akira Kurosawa movie with any other movie ... when you compare a Akira Kurosawa movie, you only compare it to every other Akira Kurosawa movie made"

Banned from Hollywood.
I totally agree with GodsOtherMonkey
You can only compare kurosawa's movies with his own movies cause they come from a different culture as well. My personal favorite Kurosawa movie is Ikiru. It is probably the only movie in the history of movies that deserves the term timless and relevant in today's world. 57 years after it was released...as for the films you mentioned. i agree with the spiderman choces. I hated all 3 spiderman movies. one was worst than the other.,,I still havent seen Star Trek 2009 but i think it might just as well be ok...

The movie I named are Dated and Hated.

They will not last. Maybe 10 years. After that -- people will laugh at them. I laugh at them now.

I pretty much doubt it that people will laugh at the new Star Trek.

My personal favorite Kurosawa movie is Ikiru. It is probably the only movie in the history of movies that deserves the term timless and relevant in today's world. 57 years after it was released

Batman 89 looks quite dated. It hasn't aged as well as I hoped it would. There is a over top view in the beginning of the film where Batman is looking down amongst these criminals in the beginning and I swear it almost looks animated.

So many good movies, so little time.
Cimarron (1931) - Best picture winner is definitely dated. It's racist and the acting is awful. I had a hard time watching the whole thing. (The Public Enemy from the same year is not dated at all, to me).

And I think the racism in Gone with the Wind (1939), The Sante Fe Trail (1940) and Northwest Passage (1940) makes them all dated.

I loved all three of those movies when I was younger.

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I agree with some of your comments and choices, but if racism is a basis for a film being dated, then almost every film ever made is dated. I mean racist stereotypes are mostly taboo nowadays unless they're used in a satire or spoof, but some of the best films ever made have racist characters and a kind of offhand, institutionalized racism. Buster Keaton films have white actors in black face. Are they racist and dated?

So many good movies, so little time.
No, I only think they are dated if you don't enjoy the movie because of the racism that is in it.
Porters at a railroad station saying stupid things don't ruin movies for me.
But to take Sante Fe Trail as an example, a line such as "Well, old John Brown said he gonna give us freedom but, shuckin, if this here Kansas is freedom then I ain't got no use for it, no sir." shows the movies point of view. The movie, like GWTW is an apology for slavery. It is very strongly stating that blacks were better off as slaves than they were free. To me both movies are dated and unenjoyable.
In Northwest Passage, we, as the audience, are supposed to be cheering for the Rangers to massacre the Abenaki Indian tribe because they are allied with the French. I can't enjoy that movie.
I don't think movies with racist scenes are dated. I think movies that try to convince you that racism is correct are.
And the reason I think they are "dated" is because at the time they were made the views they portrayed were acceptable to most of the movie going public.