The Avengers Assemble

→ in
Tools    

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
I wasn't comparing it to batman. Local newspaper reviews compared it better than the dark knight
kindly post the link, would love to read that review.

but I sat watching the end thinking I've seen all this before.
well yeah its source material is a comic book cannon going back 50 years.

"Hey Look it's Masterman"
kindly post the link, would love to read that review.

well yeah its source material is a comic book cannon going back 50 years.
It was a newspaper review, even
Tho that's the writers personal opinion he still got me pumped.

i would strongly suggest taking in Thor and Captain America-First Avenger before going to see it if these sorta flicks are outside of your wheelhouse.

The Avengers assumes you have done so. As a stand alone film it makes no sense whatsoever.
I've only seen Thor and Iron Man. Didn't like the latter, but the former was actually alright. Didn't bother watching Captain America but i'm thinking that having seen those other films would be enough to prepare me for Avengers, surely?

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
It does prepare you in a way. I didn't see Captain America before Avengers (actually haven't seen Captain) but I felt he had the least story ties to the movie, though I could be wrong and just didn't catch a lot of it.

I actually just watched Thor today and wish I would have seen it before I'd seen Avengers. There was a lot in that film that would have been useful going in.

I still think Iron Man is the best of the bunch, probably followed by The Avengers itself. Thor and Hulk were entertaining for me, and Iron Man 2 was entertaining but not without its flaws.

I didn't really see Captain America, in fact watching it tonight. It's seen at the end of Thor, though, isn't it? It was just essentially a MacGuffin. Obviously it's worth seeing them all but I think understanding Loki's the main thing you can't get from any of others and the thing that'll effect your enjoyment the most.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Absolutely loved it! Just tremendous entertainment. Working on a review just now, should be up sometime tomorrow hopefully

Movie Forums Insomniac
A friend of mine said when he saw The Avengers he said it was boring, it dragged on too long and get this...he fell asleep. LMFAO. I cracked up laughing

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
A friend of mine said when he saw The Avengers he said it was boring, it dragged on too long and get this...he fell asleep. LMFAO. I cracked up laughing
Give him a slap!!!

And now I'd like to shamelessly plug my review. JayDee's Avengers Review

Meh. it followed the typical structure of any hero film, but it was still very fun to watch oh and do not go and watch it in 3D i did and as usual it did not add anything of any note.

I loved it. Far better than Thor and Captain America (nothing against those films).

The bit after the credits had me rolling.

I'll be writing a full review later, but to briefly sum it up I'd say I enjoyed it. Definitely a fun, entertaining movie, though ultimately kind of forgettable. I don't think I'll remember it in two days. One of the biggest issues is the lack of story which was all but thrown out the window. Nevertheless, the action was great and Whedon's humor was on-point as always. I'll admit, it was a little disappointing given Whedon's involvement.

There are those who call me...Tim.
I enjoyed it a lot. Not perfect though, I thought far too much time was spent inside the SHIELD aircraft, it just wasn't that interesting a location and I was getting fidgety towards the end of it.

I also thought it suffered from the same problem I have with a lot of ensembles where by trying to be fair and equal to everyone, they all end up feeling like guest stars in their own movie. Not being a comic book reader I would have assumed that Captain America (the first Avenger) would have taken the central role (well, slightly more so than anyone else perhaps).

Saying that, all the characters seemed pretty cool to me. Tony Stark was back to his Iron Man 1 best, 'Cap Am was likeable and heroic, and I actually preferred the Loki/Thor relationship here than I did in Thor's own film (their scene on the mountain was quite touching).

Oh, and what a wonderfully timid and mild mannered performance from Ruffalo as Bruce Banner, he nailed it the second he appeared on screen. Just the way he rubs his hands together tells you everything we need to know about him.
His transformation too seemed more graphic here than it did in the previous 2 Hulk movies, where instead of simply getting angry and then turning green, here he appears to be fighting history's worst hangover and then SMASH!

Some HUGE laughs too, most of them courtesy of Mr Hulk himself Throwing bad guys around like rag dolls had me in tears, I've not laughed at a gag that much in a cinema in a long time.

Not perfect, some flaws, but when it's good it's good! Seriously good fun, I'm planning on seeing it again on Wednesday.

A system of cells interlinked
Absolutely STELLAR stuff. Well done, Whedon!

Ruffalo is one of those guys that's going to win an Oscar someday. He is to put it simply a very good actor. And I'd agree, he's the best banner yet. The difference in this movie and this just goes to show how much Whedon understands fans and the comics is this is the Marvel Avengers version of The Hulk. Not the ridiculous watered down version that's been presented in the first two films. The Hulk is bad ass and there's a reason why he's usually the last one standing when all else has failed.

Samuel L. Jackson fury over bad Avengers review
With films like ‘xXx: State of the Union’ and ‘Snakes on a Plane’ on his CV, you’d have thought Samuel L. Jackson would be used to bad reviews.

However, the world’s coolest movie star lost his temper with New York Times critic A. O. Scott, after he wrote a slightly negative review of Jackson’s new film ‘Avenger’s Assemble’.

On his Twitter page (which shows him standing next to a ladder), Jackson wrote: "#Avengers fans, NY Times critic AO Scott needs a new job! Let's help him find one! One he can ACTUALLY do!"

Scott’s review slammed “overdone combat sequences” and said: “The light, amusing bits cannot overcome the grinding, hectic emptiness, the bloated cynicism that is less a shortcoming of this particular film than a feature of the genre.”

He did however compare some of the dialogue scenes to Howard Hawks’s classic ensemble western ‘Rio Bravo’.

Despite the high profile criticism, Scott responded in a surprisingly reasonable manner.

He told E! Online: "Actors and filmmakers sometimes respond angrily to negative reviews - I can't say I blame them - and Twitter is a relatively new and very public forum for that. Rallying 'fans' against sceptical critics is a time-honoured tactic, and I don't take it personally."

Samuel L. Jackson doesn't seem to think his angry words will get the critic fired either apparently.

He responded to one of Scott's defenders (again on Twitter) by telling them: "They aren't going to fire his jaundiced ass & You & I Know It!"
http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/-samuel-l...rs-review.html